• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

Markoman

The problem with Microsoft is that the higher level just doesn't understand this market.

You think Mattrick was the reason for Kinect Kinect Kinect and the idiocy behind the original XBO plans? No, it was corporate pressure from Ballmer et al railroading the division in to what they believed should have been the plan. I'm sure Mattrick had the best of intentions when joining MS then will have suffered endless board meetings until the point of no return. And I'm sure Spencer is going through the same shit right now, being 'reminded' by his bosses that he doesn't work for the gamers who tweet him every day, he works for MS.

A very adult view on this topic. Thumbs up.
Looking back at the whole 2013 debacle, let me ask: how much Software is Apple selling through retail? How much through their own store? This gives you an idea what Mattrick was trying to do with XboxOne. The TRUE initial idea has not been reversed by Phil the Savior. MS was just too bad at executing, following and communicating their plan, so it looks like they didn't have an idea how this will go together with w10 in 2013.

vcc

Again I think for a lot of people making these decisions, PC gaming doesn't even enter the equation for them. If they want to play Gears, Halo, etc. they're not going to be doing that on a competing console. So for that consumer the value is still there. For people like myself with a good PC, the value is diminished forsure. But then I'm not invested in the XB1 ecosystem to begin with, the system is merely a means to an end to play the one or two games I want to. Having me buy their PC games on their (awful) W10 store does force me to have some reason to invest in one of their ecosystems now.

Consumer spending thought process are also fuzzy. With uninvested consumers even more so.

The options aren't just XB1 or PC however. Each consumer has their own subjective fuzzy valuation of each option and they make the purchase which they feel has the highest value to them at the point they want to make a purchase.

Having the exclusives move to the terrible w10 store PC is the exact detail but they might have a different ideas as that fuzzy value isn't based on just pure data. It's based on what they perceive as the truth. It's why always online DRM, less power for more money and kinect STILL haunt the XB1. The message on this has already gotten out of control so the message uninvested consumers may have is 'XB1 no longer has exclusives' or 'nothing has changes'

So for some non 0 percentage of customers this move will discourage a purchase of xb1. I have no idea how many. I lack the data but I'm sure some will. And they may not opt to buy a PC, they may opt to buy a PS4 and get a PC later to play that w10 store game, they may purchase a wii u, they may choose just not to purchase.

We'll know with the March NPD if this bout of mixed messaging will have a impact. If we get a leak of # sold and the YoY is much worse then we can extrapolate that all this news has hurt the XB1. If not then the average consumer didn't care.

element

That's what working for these big corporations is like. Sony did the right thing when SCE was basically run as a separate company, not to mention the three regional entities competing against each other ensured better global reach with localised marketing. Microsoft learned nothing from Sony in this regard. What a mess..
Funny thing is Sony actually moved to be more like Microsoft with everything reporting into the same structure with SIE being the parent of everything PlayStation.

And I'm sure Spencer is going through the same shit right now, being 'reminded' by his bosses that he doesn't work for the gamers who tweet him every day, he works for MS.
Where are these tweets? AFAIK the only people above Phil are Terry Myerson and Satya Nadella.

Alebrije

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember the mid 90's very well and having Nintendo and Sony was the best time of my gaming days.

Return to the old days when N64 vs PS one debates filled the web. PS4 vs NX now.

41b2602c75f6a6f63b9a5201b646f81e767ce999d43d86102414695372f2638e.jpg

Raist

Banned
People keep claiming this, lacking any source. Hasn't this been untrue for at least a year, as far as sparse (MS hasn't been releasing numbers for quite a while) publicly available data has shown? Really sounds unlikely Xbone is still outselling 360 launch-aligned.

The XB1 had a 2.4M headstart in shipments after the first Q compared to the 360. That gap has most likely been slowly decreasing very soon after that.

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember the mid 90's very well and having Nintendo and Sony was the best time of my gaming days.

I'd like to say Sony is in the clear but then we have to remember the Playstation is all Sony has that's not doing horrible compared to their movies and music. We can't go back to those days.

Edit: Ok, maybe not that bad.

Proelite

At this point I think MS would be better suited to decouple Franchises with their studios.

I also thinks it doesn't make sense to keep a big number of First Party studios around. I think 5 studios capable of releasing a big title every two years is the sweet spot.

Switch up the franchises once in a while, have 343 make a Gears fps, and Coalition make a TPS Halo game etc. Have the teams work on new IPs on the side like Sony studios do.

I believe studio fatigue is a real thing. Combat it by having less first party studios. Contract IPs to third party studios.

A studio is a team, and like all teams, they go through cycles of being awesome, defunct, tired etc.

I think some of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. The closing of Lionhead sucks, but it's not the end of days over at Microsoft gaming. TBH the writing was on the wall after it took them almost 4 years to get Fable Legends almost out the door. They we're too big of a studio to go that long without a major release and with the Xbox division hurting a bit MS wasn't going to subsidize them forever.

I'd like to say Sony is in the clear but then we have to remember the Playstation is all Sony has that's not doing horrible compared to their movies and music. We can't go back to those days.

Sigh...this has not been true for a long time, why do people keep posting this? Playstation is not even sony's most profitable division.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Holy shit. What.

Beta was not my cup of tea, but wasn't bad. Gorgeous with what seemed to be a decent amount of content. I suppose the cost to support it after launch was deemed to risky based on quality feedback and projections?

Things look pretty weird with Microsoft and Xbox at the moment. I can understand why people are feeling a bit doomy.

I wonder what the story is behind Fable Legends? Being so close to finished and reportedly not terrible. Is it just that the cost of maintaining an online game is too high to go through with releasing it? I can't help but get the feeling that if it was a single player game they would finish it off and get it out there. Wonder how long it will be before we fine out more?

Papacheeks

Banned
Ok I might have been exaggerating but you can't argue Playstation is helping them a lot.

It is, but their film division seems to be doing fine, Spectre made almost a billion dollars, Ghostbusters though looks horrible will make money this summer.

Their mobile even isn't as bad as it use to be and their new lineup seems to be getting talked about well.

So I think they are in a better position now then they were 4-5 years ago.

And Playstation isn't going anywhere.,

Bgamer90

Banned
MS is gonna kill Xbox, is pretty damn obvious at this point.

^^^
E3 is going to be a serious wake up call to anyone who doesn't realise this.

Kill a brand that they are spreading to their various devices now and in the future with them announcing the death of the brand at a gaming conference.

Definitely makes sense (eh -- not really).

There's definitely going to be major changes with the brand but major changes =/= "death". Not sure how anyone can feel that this is a smart conclusion to make right now.

Biggest upcoming E3 in the history of Xbox?

I actually think we're gonna be shocked at some of the announcements. Hell, we might even get a JRPG. Would love Lost Odyssey 2.

And what if Crystal Dynamics is doing another Xbox One exclusive since it's been revealed that they're not doing the PS4 port.

Oh course, I'm just spit balling here.

Wagram

I actually think we're gonna be shocked at some of the announcements. Hell, we might even get a JRPG. Would love Lost Odyssey 2.

And what if Crystal Dynamics is doing another Xbox One exclusive since it's been revealed that they're not too the PS4 port.

You're going to be disappointed. Don't do that to yourself.

netBuff

Kill a brand that they are spreading to their various devices now and in the future with them announcing the death of the brand at a gaming conference.

There's definitely going to be major changes with the brand but major changes =/= "death". Not sure how anyone can feel that this is a smart conclusion to make right now.

People obviously aren't talking about the brand, no one cares about "Xbox" as a brand.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

They will probably be killing the Xbox brand and moving towards a new Windows 10 brand.

element

At this point I think MS would be better suited to decouple Franchises with their studios.

I also thinks it doesn't make sense to keep a big number of First Party studios around. I think 5 studios capable of releasing a big title every two years is the sweet spot.

Switch up the franchises once in a while, have 343 make a Gears fps, and Coalition make a TPS Halo game etc. Have the teams work on new IPs on the side like Sony studios do.

I believe studio fatigue is a real thing. Combat it by having less first party studios. Contract IPs to third party studios.

A studio is a team, and like all teams, they go through cycles of being awesome, defunct, tired etc.
Studio fatigue is totally a real thing, and when it happens typically those people who are fatigued move on to other teams or leave the company. But it would be extremely risky to take your top tier studio and give them an IP that they are unfamiliar with.

Not to mention, technologies used might be different (internal engine, Unreal, Unity, etc), so there would be a learning process.

343i is kind of doing this now with external partners/developers making games in the Halo universe. Getting someone like The Creative Assembly to make Halo Wars 2 is a pretty big deal.

wtf, my mouth is watering

Bgamer90

Banned
They will probably be killing the Xbox brand and moving towards a new Windows 10 brand.

Xbox name is too widely known for gaming for it to be a smart idea to start from scratch in my opinion.

I definitely think that Xbox will be sucked more into Windows (I mean, that's pretty obvious already) but the name/brand will still exist within Windows.

I feel bad for all those that are potentially out of work though it sounds like MS is looking to place as many as they can in other roles if they desire.

Honestly after playing the Fable Legends Beta I'm not 100% surprised. I played like 30 minutes of it and was not captivated at all. I kept asking myself "who's going to buy this?".

This is what happens when a company has too much money. They can easily shutdown almost Completed games that have had money and time put into it.
It's sad.
Fable is a big franchise for them.

ironcreed

Banned
I think some of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. The closing of Lionhead sucks, but it's not the end of days over at Microsoft gaming. TBH the writing was on the wall after it took them almost 4 years to get Fable Legends almost out the door. They we're too big of a studio to go that long without a major release and with the Xbox division hurting a bit MS wasn't going to subsidize them forever.

Yes, it is true that they have done squat since Fable 3. So it is not really a surprise when you think about it.

Ultimately, it sucks for those who lost their jobs and it sucks for those of us who wanted Fable 4 one day. But it is not the fucking end of Xbox, Jesus Christ. Though I am worried about what they have planned in terms of new titles beyond what we already know and expect. I am hoping for some surprises.

netBuff

Xbox name is too widely known for gaming for it to be a smart idea to start from scratch in my opinion.

I definitely think that Xbox will be sucked more into Windows (I mean, that's pretty obvious already) but the name/brand will still exist within Windows.

It being widely known as a console brand doesn't mean branding Windows 10 games as "Xbox" is a good idea. The same reason MS moved away from Xbox Music.

Holy crap. My first work experience was at Lionhead. Testing Fable and BC, meeting Molyneux and the Carter Brothers... A great studio with a friendly atmosphere (at least 13 years ago or whenever it was)

chadskin

That is what been thinking , this E3 will be interesting. The "solid" PS4 and its VR set, NiNtendo could finally reveal NX, and Microsoft is a mystery.

Is it, though? Crackdown 3, Scalebound, Recore, Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4 plus third-party content (new The Division DLC, Titanfall 2 and/or Battlefield 5? Ghost Recon Wildlands? Dark Souls 3 DLC?) and indies. Perhaps a slim console, new console update with new features (e.g. background music).

That plus perhaps one or two surprise announcements is about what I'd expect.

And what if Crystal Dynamics is doing another Xbox One exclusive since it's been revealed that they're not doing the PS4 port.

Disappointment incoming.

Top Bottom