• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

Is it, though? Crackdown 3, Scalebound, Recore, Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4 plus third-party content (new The Division DLC, Titanfall 2 and/or Battlefield 5? Ghost Recon Wildlands? Dark Souls 3 DLC?) and indies. Perhaps a slim console, new console update with new features (e.g. background music).

That plus perhaps one or two surprise announcements is about what I'd expect.

Yeah, that's pretty in line with what people would expect from E3. More Sea of Thieves, finally unveiling Battletoads. Actually seems pretty clear cut come to think of it!

Obviously there's a big shift going on at MS, but E3 is too soon to really lift the lid on it. Personally I wouldn't trust a damn thing they say about the future of Xbox gaming at the moment. Wait and see how it all pans out.

gogosox82

I don't think Legends was the greatest business decision either, but Fable 3 didn't do nearly well enough (they "needed" to sell more than 5 million copies, and the previous installments apparently outsold it at 3 and 3.5 million respectively) and it's highly unlikely that they would have been able to sell more with the next on a constrained user base and much higher production costs. The power of the Fable IP just didn't seem to be enough to match the expectations of AAA business investment.

That's sad. I think more people would be more respective to a fable 4 than whatever FL was turning into.

Bgamer90

Banned
It being widely known as a console brand doesn't mean branding Windows 10 games as "Xbox" is a good idea. The same reason MS moved away from Xbox Music.

I don't undersrand this comparison considering Xbox was never known for music. I mean, people used Xbox consoles for music features but the brand being known for music the same way it's known for gaming? Never.

Is it, though? Crackdown 3, Scalebound, Recore, Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4 plus third-party content (new The Division DLC, Titanfall 2 and/or Battlefield 5? Ghost Recon Wildlands? Dark Souls 3 DLC?) and indies. Perhaps a slim console, new console update with new features (e.g. background music).

That plus perhaps one or two surprise announcements is about what I'd expect.
Yeah, I was thinking it would be split into three cores -

1.)Expansion of previously announced games (Gears 4, Scalebound, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Recore, Halo Wars 2 and Quantum Break DLC?)

2.)Third party deals (including indies)

3.)One or two new announcement(s) (Forza Horizon 3 (if it isn't announced prior to E3) and/or another third party exclusive).

I think the big announcement from the event will be the X1 hardware revision.

I think that would be a solid event overall considering where MS is right now and where they are headed.

Doffen

Just want to know one thing from all of this:

Was Legends the studio's or MS's decision?

Clearly Microsoft. It was part of their "gaming as a service" initiative. After they've already forced them to push out a shitty Kinect game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's really sad to see people losing their jobs so I hope they would bounce quickly. I haven't really play their recent games but I always enjoy their first two fable games.

What the hell are they doing? It's like they want to be known for nothing but Halo, which is a franchise already dying at the hands of an incompetent dev (seriously MS, if you're going to shutter a studio shutter the one that has tarnished your flagship franchise). Legends looked mediocre as hell but why bother with all the betas and crap if you're just going to fire everyone and cancel it?
Did the beta have some survey? Or.. They were able to tell people weren't playing it much? Beta may have been a test for the market

And apparently studio

Just want to know one thing from all of this:

Was Legends the studio's or MS's decision?

Of course it was microsofts. Nobody sane would want to develop a shitty Kinect game. Mattrick was pushing for Kinect games as obviously Kinect was selling very well.

2007-2008 were peak years for gaming. It was a testament to Fable 2 that it was in many people's top 10 games in that period.

AHA-Lambda

Actually what the hell are MS going to talk about at E3? =/

We always knew they were too reliant on Forza, Fable, Gears and Halo. But instead of fixing that they cut one out and from the way Stump tells it they aren't trying to fix it.

oti

Banned
How do you come to this conclusion?

Just genuinely curious.

I guess he's saying that Xbox will have to deliver something huge with all this talks about change and studios closing etc. But I don't know.

To me it's pretty obvious that MS is in the process of shifting gears and if MS is really serious about PC (as they have been saying for a while now) I fully expect a Halo for Xbox & PC announcement and boy will Twitter be interesting on that day.

This situation kind of seems like, "let's get this depressing situation out on Monday, then hey look, Gears 4 on GI cover!"

For studio closings such as these, they should more transparent.

Phil and others had said they're investing more into IP then ever before, well certainly look it. E3 and beyond will very interesting.

FuturusX

Nothing meaningful to add beyond that which has already been said. RIP Lionhead - ye shall be missed.

Oh..and the 360 shining its light of awesome, between red rings, seems so very long ago.

I miss those days and I miss that MIcrosoft..

Raist

Banned
I'd like to say Sony is in the clear but then we have to remember the Playstation is all Sony has that's not doing horrible compared to their movies and music. We can't go back to those days.

q3fy15j2u1k.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Clearly Microsoft. It was part of their "gaming as a service" initiative. After they've already forced them to push out a shitty Kinect game.
Man, I'd be heated as fuck if I was a dev at Lionhead Studios right now. I'm sure they'd much rather just work on a proper Fable or new IP instead but were "persuaded" to work on this project and then got shafted for it w/out warning pretty much it seems. Truly sucks.

Alebrije

Yeah, I was thinking it would be split into three cores -

1.)Expansion of previously announced games (Gears 4, Scalebound, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Recore, Halo Wars 2 and Quantum Break DLC?)

2.)Third party deals (including indies)

3.)One or two new announcement(s) (Forza Horizon 3 (if it isn't announced prior to E3) and/or another third party exclusive).

I think the big announcement from the event will be the X1 hardware revision.

I think that would be a solid event overall considering where MS is right now and where they are headed.

That is the mistery what Xbone 1.5 will be.

Also how current users will handle this news. If MS announces this basically current Xbone sales will bomb for people waiting for 1.5 like the current WiiU vs NX situation ; unless MS drops the price again for current Xbone do not see how they those units will move.

On console market hardware upgrades never had worked , Sega and Nintendo did it with little success. When you split the market this way you are doing cannibalism.

Microsoft pulled the ripcord on console hardware a while ago, whether or not people realised it. We are just now seeing the chutes start to deploy. I think it's an open question whether either Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves will ever make it to market. Microsoft is also drawing down their investment in games in such a way that you should not expect more, new 3rd party deals to fill the gap.

Actually what the hell are MS going to talk about at E3? =/

We always knew they were too reliant on Forza, Fable, Gears and Halo. But instead of fixing that they cut one out and from the way Stump tells it they aren't trying to fix it.

Depends on if Below or Cuphead are out by then. Then there's Recore, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, I'm sure they'll show more of Scalebound.

Maybe they'll make another deal with Capcom for Dead Rising 4.

oti

Banned
Nothing meaningful to add beyond that which has already been said. RIP Lionhead - ye shall be missed.

Oh..and the 360 shining it's light of awesome, between red rings, seems so very long ago.

I miss those days and I miss that MIcrosoft..

Oh man, remember when Xbox used to be cool? Regardless of sales numbers and console wars blablabla, remember when Xbox 360 was the effin coolest machine under the TV with those blades and really cool XBL games and XBLA and demos and all that? Maaaaaaaaaaaan. What a shame.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Microsoft pulled the ripcord on console hardware a while ago, whether or not people realised it. We are just now seeing the chutes start to deploy. I think it's an open question whether either Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves will ever make it to market. Microsoft is also drawing down their investment in games in such a way that you should not expect more, new 3rd party deals to fill the gap.
Crackdown 3 has a good chance since they're setting it up as the new poster boy for Azure. Rare, I'd definitely be worried about though.

CNCOMICS

Late start to GAF today, let's see what news came out... What the fuck? I thought Legends was practically done and just needed polish, they even announced an open beta. Man, what happened behind those doors?

El Topo

Really sad to see Lionhead go down. I honestly hope the people involved will manage to find new jobs as soon as possible. Best of luck to all of them.

Oh man, remember when Xbox used to be cool? Regardless of sales numbers and console wars blablabla, remember when Xbox was the effin coolest machine under the TV with those blades and really cool XBL games and XBLA and demos and all that? Maaaaaaaaaaaan. What a shame.

I'm German, so no.

Crackdown 3 has a good chance since they're setting it up as the new poster boy for Azure. Rare, I'd definitely be worried about though.

Neither Crackdown 3 nor Sea of Thieves look particularly appealing. C3 gives me Red Faction vibes.

FuturusX

That is the mistery what Xbone 1.5 will be.

Also how current users will handle this news. If MS announces this basically current Xbone sales will bomb for people waiting for 1.5 like the current WiiU vs NX situation ; unless MS drops the price again for current Xbone do not see how they those units will move.

On console market hardware upgrades never had worked , Sega and Nintendo did it with little success. When you split the market this way you are doing cannibalism.

I will add that users will want a fundamentally better console, not a machine that is an incremental upgrade. Solid 1080p, 60 fps and largely the same assets cranked up in detail seems like a small trade off to me.

The traditional console experience has been that the next machine represents something that could not be achieved on the one available before it. In the very least marketed as such.

But hey who knows.

RexNovis

Banned
Why are people trying to spin this as a "Mattrick game" when Phil Spencers job has involved directly overseeing Lionhead since 2008?

Its disgusting. I already made my thoughts on this clear earlier in the thread

Can I just say a gigantic fuck you to all the people in here assigning sole responsibility to Don Mattrick or the studios for this? Because that shit really pisses me off. With the length of time this was allowed to go on in beta and with the amount of advertising sunk into the game so far this is every bit as much a textbook example of mismanagement as it is anything and last I checked that was Phil's job. This constant need to dismiss any and everything that casts a negative light on a talking head is terrifying. Some people in here seriously need to reevaluate their priorities.

I think I said everything I needed to say on it already but the fact that it continues to happen is just absolutely shameful. People spouting this crap should be ashamed of themselves.

And those games will continue to sell terribly. For Sony fostering these studios and their poor selling games makes some sense. For Microsoft it does not...they make real money from other pursuits and they fund games internally to further their platform play.

What the hell did I just read? So Sony makes fake money then? Your argument in response "Sony supports and continues to support diverse development" is "but they don't make real money?" How the fuck does lower profitability in anyway end up diminishing the end result for the consumer mainly that there are more diverse and interesting games being funded? The only way your comments in this thread even begin to approach anything resembling logical is if your identity is so tied up into that of a corporation that you are no longer capable of seeing the situation as a consumer. Which, frankly, is absolutely horrifying to watch unfold. Please just stop. My face can only cringe so much.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Man this thread is getting embarrassing.

So from 2 studios closing down (both of which had very low output over the last 3-5 years) we've come to basically most new games announced won't make it to market aaaaaand Microsoft will stop making consoles by the end of this year.

Jesus.

Raist

Banned
Already posted? The whole situation is weird.

Why? Do you think they just suddenly woke up today and went "Oh hey, I know, let's shut down Lionhead!".

He was obviously not going to say "well actually we're going to can it and close LS". People don't make this sort of announcements in response to a question about "so how's X doing?". Besides what he actually said did sound a bit weird.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why? Do you think they just suddenly woke up today and went "Oh hey, I know, let's shit down Lionhead!".

He was obviously not going to say "well actually we're going to can it and close LS". People don't make this sort of announcements in response to a question about "so how's X doing?". Besides what he actually said did sound a bit weird.

Actually I interpreted his carefully chosen wording as knowing for some time it was going to be shut down but clearly Lionhead weren't aware.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I`m no expert, but wasn`t the game almost done? The beta wasn`t that bad. Couldn`t they at least have tried to release the game in it`s current state and earned some of the money back?

I'm in Germany too. All my friends had an Xbox 360. (I'm talking about the Xbox 360. The original Xbox didn't really exist here lol. I have never seen one in real life.)

I had one and with CFW it's still my favorite console of all time. You could do so much cool stuff with that thing. It was also the console that convinced me to go all digital in the future because changing discs is for suckers ;)

The 360 was a brief success with the hardcore audience but a lot of people I knew just bought the 360 to shorten the waiting time for the PS3.

daTRUballin

I don't think Rare will be shut down anytime soon, and hopefully they won't. Whenever MS closes a studio, everybody always predicts that Rare will be next, but it never happens.

MS is also starting to pay more attention to Rare and its IPs, moreso than they have in the past. Plus all the legacy that the studio has. They can't just simply shut them down like that.

FuturusX

Why? Do you think they just suddenly woke up today and went "Oh hey, I know, let's shut down Lionhead!".

Clearly he had to engage corporate doublespeak but perhaps realeasing the games and then winding down the studio was the way to go. We don't know the details of the shutdown, but I think there might have been a better way to do this and thus the reaction to statements about the game and it's studio would seem less shocking in retrospect.

But again, easy for me to say without a full understanding of the game, it's quality and the logistical challenges around releasing and supporting the product.

thenameDS

Played Fable Legends at gamescom and it was quite fun. Game seemed to be very far along too.

Hopefully everyone can find work quickly, best of luck.

RexNovis

Banned
You asked for a game which has been canceled close to release. SSM's game was supposed to be revealed at E3 2014 and to release during the Holiday season 2014. It was canceled less then a year before release.

There is a big difference between cancelling as yet unnanounced and unrevealed new IP and cancelling a new title in an existing franchise that has been in consumer closed beta for over a year, was promoted multiple times at trade events (E3, GDC, etc) and was a pillar of the platforms central marketing push (best lineup ever). Not to mention the latter led to the closure of a historic studio in the process of its cancellation. The Sony too garbage needs to stop. This is bad and it is as shockingly bad as it is totally unexpected. Trying to play this off as normal or expected or dismiss it as the fault of anyone except the management under which it has been in development and promotion for the past 3 years is grossly disingenuous or straight up delusional.

Need I remind people that this will be third game promoted by MS that has been shitcanned before release this gen? It joins the ranks of Black Tusks new IP and Phantom Dust. Yet this is of no concern to some people here. That a company can promote games at trade shows with the promise of release then not once, not twice, but three times pull the rug out form under people. Fuck that. They deserve to be called out for this shit especially when it leads to the closure of development teams like with Fable and Phantom Dust.

Top Bottom