• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

//DEVIL//

ok I swear this is not a port beg or anything I don't even own the console. but why Not on Xbox as well ? I mean its not exclusive to any console. its also coming to PC. so why not port it as well to Xbox at least for Western release?

Xbox is really dying :/ . at least in Japanese publishers . that's a problem.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ok I swear this is not a port beg or anything I don't even own the console. but why Not on Xbox as well ? I mean its not exclusive to any console. its also coming to PC. so why not port it as well to Xbox at least for Western release?

Xbox is really dying :/ . at least in Japanese publishers . that's a problem.

Why should this be treated aa portbegging ? Its okay to discuss platforms after the initial announcement, even though Switch portbegging made some people act crazy.

When it comes to JRPGs SE seems to have given up on Xbox brand. I Am Setsuna wasnt on the Xbox One either from what i can see. Between PS4/Switch/PC they pretty much cater to all plattforms where they expect an audience for this type of game.

It kinda sucks for Xbox owners...but then again of you are a fan of J-RPGs you likely arent a Xbox only user.

Duxxy3

Maybe it's just me, but PC/PS4/Switch seems to be a pattern with Japanese games now.

With the Switch's success it makes me wonder if Japanese developers will push PS4 hardware any longer, or just make games that are Switch friendly and go from there.

Logash

Maybe it's just me, but PC/PS4/Switch seems to be a pattern with Japanese games now.

With the Switch's success it makes me wonder if Japanese developers will push PS4 hardware any longer, or just make games that are Switch friendly and go from there.

Well a lot of Japanese games for PS4 are ports from the Vita. Even Persona 5 is just a port of the PS3 version. I think that it is possible that the quality of Japanese games will go up if they build from the Switch. The only big JRPG games I can think ofthat really push PS4 is FFXV and KH3.

Well a lot of Japanese games for PS4 are ports from the Vita. Even Persona 5 is just a port of the PS3 version. I think that it is possible that the quality of Japanese games will go up if they build from the Switch. The only big JRPG games I can think ofthat really push PS4 is FFXV and KH3.

NNK2 also, I suspect.

Koeta

While I'm enjoying I am Setsuna I'm a bit sad to see the same style character models here, something just kind of bugs me about them.

and that price....I'm not a fan of the price, $40 for Setsuna was borderline in my book, this is just too much unless they have more to announce later.

Logash

NNK2 also, I suspect.

I completely forgot about that one but you're right. NNK2 also seems to be pushing the PS4 but that still leaves very few examples.

Also, more on topic, just realized that the physical is exclusive to Square Enix store. Looks like I'll be getting the digital version then.

Level 5 are great with cel shading, but it doesn't really look like a generational leap from the first game does it? Maybe the animations are using the extra power in this case though.

It definitely looks like a current-gen game, at least from what we've seen. Certainly far moreso than any of the Tales ports, or P5 (just to compare somewhat similar non-realistic looks).

MarkusRJR

Curious if the price will be $40 digitally and $50 physically. Don't see how they can justify the $10 price hike from I Am Setsuna.

More RPGs are a good thing in my book. The increased price tag makes me a bit wary. I will need more information before making any decisions.

Z3M0G

Thankfully exploration and combat look very good, because the trailer made the story look like a snore-fest. All those taglines during the trailer were cheesy as hell, or simply came off as bad google translations.

//DEVIL//

It kinda sucks for Xbox owners...but then again of you are a fan of J-RPGs you likely arent a Xbox only user.

This wasn't the case with the Xbox 360. I still have physical release of Eternal Sonata. infinite discovery, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon plus others.

Xbox as platform during the 360, had jrpgs by the dozen and so did the PS3 back then.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It definitely looks like a current-gen game, at least from what we've seen. Certainly far moreso than any of the Tales ports, or P5 (just to compare somewhat similar non-realistic looks).

That's not a very high bar, those games didn't really push the PS3 to its limits to begin with. Atlus games don't have very high budgets either, I think P5 is even a step back from Catherine graphically. The day-to-day environments in particular showed us that.

Aleh

This looks niiiiiice. Love me some old school Square Enix RPGs.
Hope it turns out to be great in the end.

Idk, it didn't really look as interesting as Setsuna to me. At least some art of the characters would go a long way to grab people, it was that and the OST that got me with Setsuna, but here the trailer felt slow and, honestly, bland.

I'll wait for another trailer or some kind of information blow out, I guess.

otakukidd

This wasn't the case with the Xbox 360. I still have physical release of Eternal Sonata. infinite discovery, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon plus others.

Xbox as platform during the 360, had jrpgs by the dozen and so did the PS3 back then.
But that all stopped around 2009. 8 years ago.

DNAbro

FFXII HD is currently $33 on Amazon at the moment for comparison. (which I don't know why it is)

I was waiting till I could get I am Setsuna on Switch for $20 before getting it and I have a feeling that I'm going to be doing the same thing for this one.

I wouldn't say "by the dozen". It had an onslaught of them early on as MS tried to fix the problems from the original XBX in terms of having Japanese titles, but my understanding is that sales were still pretty shitty, and that's why it dried up so quickly post-BD/LO.

Lime

Didn't SE sink a whole bunch of money with Tokyo RPG Factory? The 244 Million Yen financial loss after Setsuna was unbelievable and with the amount of people working there, I have no idea what function the studio has when their products are so soulless, low budget, and forgettable.

Sorry, but this just looks underwhelming as hell. And charging a premium for this is completely ridiculous.

MarkusRJR

Didn't SE sink a whole bunch of money with Tokyo RPG Factory? The 244 Million Yen financial loss after Setsuna was unbelievable and with the amount of people working there, I have no idea what function the studio has when their products are so soulless, low budget, and forgettable.

Sorry, but this just looks underwhelming as hell. And charging a premium for this is completely ridiculous.
Wait how is it even possible to take that big of a loss on such a budget-looking game like I Am Setsuna? I thought it performed decently too.

It looks like I am Setsuna 1.5 and it has the same piano music. While the trailer song was lovely the lack of variety in I am Setsuna grated on me by the end. This just looks like a sideways step for the team rather than a forward one.

Print_Dog

Guess it's time I give I am Setsuna a try. Been meaning to, just haven't.

I like the hopelessness portrayed in this trailer and Setsuna's as well. They have nailed the mood. I see familiar enemies. I wonder if there is any continuity between the two.

kadotsu

Banned
Why does the UI look so bad? Good menu art is a great way to elevate your budget(lol) title but this looks like it came straight out of a standard Unity library.

duckroll

2 million is literally nothing in game development costs though.

emb

Well, I like that physical release is confirmed right out of the gate. I like the idea of this studio, even if I haven't heard great things about Setsuna. Hopefully they improve on this one.

Their store seems awful though. I've had to uncheck at least 3 boxes for newsletters, and at checkout, Paypal is charging me $0.50 and redirected to a blank page that says "OK". And then the item is still in my cart? Don't even know if it worked.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Well we are talking about the Xbox One...the 360 was lucky that they launched first and Sony messed up alot of things leading up to the PS3 launch. If Sony/Nintendo get their shit together like with Switch/PS4 you cant really expect J Publishers to have confidence in putting their games on the Xbox One.
That's not a very high bar, those games didn't really push the PS3 to its limits to begin with. Atlus games don't have very high budgets either, I think P5 is even a step back from Catherine graphically. The day-to-day environments in particular showed us that.

Too many people think that every good looking game automatically means that its pushing the console its on - thats not how it works. NNK2 is a good looking game because of its style - its an upgrade from NNK2 but it doesnt THAT much better. Most of the upgrade comes from the higher resolution and improved Animations...but they are hardly pushing the PS4 the way Naughty Dog or Guerrila does.

Byvar

I quite liked I am Setsuna, so I'll get this. Might even pre-order it. I will say that this one looks cheap and a bit soulless, though, and I didn't feel that with Setsuna. I think it's the UI and the obviously sampled violin in the music. Lots of asset reuse from Setsuna, too.

Playing through Setsuna now on Switch, this looks like more Setsuna. That being said I hope they take away the linearity of Setsuna for this. Let me roam the world map and find places, ala FF7, small caves, etc.
Also please add Inns to the towns, and provide some more houses/people to discover and talk to., maybe add some summons in? I don't know if they're in Setsuna, only like 3 hours in I think.
Add that in and I'm sold, really love Setsuna though so far, so I'd expect I'd enjoy this as well. I love the old PS1 style RPG's. Wish they'd make a bigger comeback.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Too many people think that every good looking game automatically means that its pushing the console its on - thats not how it works. NNK2 is a good looking game because of its style - its an upgrade from NNK2 but it doesnt THAT much better. Most of the upgrade comes from the higher resolution and improved Animations...but they are hardly pushing the PS4 the way Naughty Dog or Guerrila does.

Pretty much. Art styles can cover up a lot, even with a mid tier budget. The first game already looked great so Ni no Kuni 2 is improving in other areas that Level 5 can bring to the table like animation with their motion capture studio.

jrDev

"Development footage subject to change"
Damn straight. No way that was running on Switch, lol.

Looks like more of Setsuna, so it'll be interesting to see if it irons out that game's kinks. The story seems incredibly uninteresting from that small segment.
If this is not a meme yet, this should be a meme...

duckroll

but they are hardly pushing the PS4 the way Naughty Dog or Guerrila does.

Wasn't it a comparison between JRPGs? I mean if the comparison is with western action games, there is no comparison. Even FFXV and KH3 hardly "push" the PS4. Outside of the lighting, there is nothing the games do which can't be done on a PS3. Just look at GTAV or Uncharted.

Japanese games are cheap and all the developments are years behind in terms of practical experience.

Top Bottom