• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Age Inquisition (2014) via PS5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
IbsDPt3UP6hVS5RC4FGTydyXZ50Qp4uA.png

I’m surprised this game isn’t talked about outside of the games forums and here’s my lttp hot take.

You’re fighting demons, high dragons, templars, mages, elves etc. dragon age inquisition passes all the tests for an open world RPG. There’s an elite way of developing armor, and weapons.

maxresdefault.jpg

The idea of dragon age inquisition is “closing fades” (portals to another dimension) and defeating the big bad boss Corypheus.

maxresdefault.jpg

Corypheus represents a dope boss, he is the main villain who you meet early on and is very interesting.

You spend a lot of time farming plants, furs and stones for upgrading potions, I’m pretty sure it’s a kill and loot game.

IMG-4710.jpg

I think there’s an animosity towards dragon age inquisition’s open world. Todays open world games let you go directly to different locations than there’s inquisition which hosts a bunch of locations but can’t even connect them correctly, having to load between cities and houses is a hard pill to swallow for many.

Skyhold_BigMap_DDD_UpperCourtyard_level2_REV.jpg

This is Skyhold, fairly easy to navigate. Either you’re at skyhold to get your next main mission, or upgrading your weapons. It’s like a hub, and I would imagine will return in the next dragon age, dread wolf. I think the atmosphere of skyhold is game of thrones, you can “judge” enemy fates, send them to prison or hang them. There’s a lot of detail to skyhold even down to the banners, windows you can customize but again to “leave” you have to teleport in a sense to the next camp, or level.

inquisitioncombat-550x309.jpg

There’s 11 main quests known as the inquisitions path, the Wrath of Heaven kicks off the quest and it offers an opportunity to meet your first squad mate Cassandra. There’s pride demons, despair demons, most you can knock out in a hit or two, nothing shocking and really light enemies, you'll lose some health but the good news is Haven is the perfect starting area to begin.

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-High-Dragon-collage.jpg

Taking the combat, and location out the game exists somewhere in the knights and dragons and kings and queens age. I was intrigued by the species, the elves, dwarves, witches etc. the moment I took down a high dragon I knew this would be a memorable game.

When it comes to DLC, all of them are pure enjoyment.

The decent is a good time in the deep roads with dwarves.

Jaws of Hakkon is more of the same but good material overall.

dragon age GIF

I want to begin Trespasser but have just been enjoying going around closing rifts, socializing with merchants, getting my character as strong as possible, I could play this game for hours straight.

The game is a powerhouse of originality and is apart of three console generations, I hope this leads to dragon age dread wolf releasing later this year, and it’s a real pleasure to play.

What did GAF think of inquisition?

Sentenza

- Excellent production value
- good characters with passable writing (and some occasional dose of cringe)
- absolutely awful gameplay loop and progression
- atrocious quest design, where even some of the most plot and character-centric questline feel like the most trashy sidequest from a MMO.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I bounced off this game at least 5 or 6 times over the years. Can't recall the reasons, but it wasn't giving me something that I wanted. If I played it again for an hour or two I'd probably remember what it was.

From what I can remember it was okay, but too little was interesting when it came to exploring. Like, too little content, people and stuff spread too thin over huge areas filled with nothing.

Some cool and interesting party members. I can't really remember the story but I have a feeling I thought it was kind of mediocre. A flawed but ultimately mediocre game for me.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Absolute shit tier BioWare. Threw in the towel at the character creator since every single model and face looked like atrocious, fruity garbage.

2014 was such a dead year for releases. Shadow of Mordor took home a bunch of GOTY's :messenger_tears_of_joy: No surprise people were trying to choke this one down too. When release years are as desolate as that, you'll accept damn near anything.

Fbh

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't great either.
Visually it looked really nice for the time (still looks pretty good IMO) and the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, still one of my favourites from that gen.

The story was just Ok though, specially the second half looses a lot of steam and by the end I hardly cared about what was going on.
The party wasn't particularly memorable either, the Dwarf from DA2 (don't remember his name) is the only really likeable character. Also a nitpick but this has the worst romance options out of any Bioware RPG, as a male character your options are like 3 dudes, an angry lesbian or a mentally challenged elf.

The real issue though is the boring quest design and bad combat.
In trying to please fans of real time combat and tactical combat they created a sort of hybrid that just does both styles poorly.
A lot of side content is really bland too, there's a few cool sidequests but you basically have to find them in a sea of boring checklist stuff. The game really would have benefited from highlighting the few actual cool sidequests and putting the rest in some separate category (call it "tasks" or something).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
- Excellent production value
- good characters with passable writing (and some occasional dose of cringe)
- absolutely awful gameplay loop and progression
- atrocious quest design, where even some of the most plot and character-centric questline feel like the most trashy sidequest from a MMO.
Most of the cringe comes from Sera. Also from Iron Bull, especially that whole deal with Krem, the trans character.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

I bounced off this game at least 5 or 6 times over the years. Can't recall the reasons, but it wasn't giving me something that I wanted. If I played it again for an hour or two I'd probably remember what it was.
That’s a majority opinion, but when you think of the complexity it does take time to get into, there’s folks who likely gave up on inquisition. If you paid attention to my post history, I played origins, skipped 2 and am playing inquisition now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That’s a majority opinion, but when you think of the complexity it does take time to get into, there’s folks who likely gave up on inquisition. If you paid attention to my post history, I played origins, skipped 2 and am playing inquisition now.
I did get 20+ hours into it a couple times... just can't recall why I fell off. I even played some multiplayer.

Last edited:

nicoGec

Good game that didn’t need to be that big and full of mmo tier fetch quest.

Trespasser was amazing tho.

Hopefully Dreadwolf is a tighter experience

bbeach123

I actually very enjoy the A to B, smaller map , the "open world" map on another hand... Same activites,same "minigame" , same way to play , the same fetch quest , just look different .

SoundFX was a banger too .

Last edited:

ungalo

I never found Corypheus to be offensively bad but i remember people thought he was a lame villain.

Otherwise i feel the game is kind of in between old and new Bioware, the writing is not terrible like Andromeda but it started to become a little average/random.

Too much filler content, and the open maps were good, the game was not ugly or anything but when i played TW3 the year after the game got so much older all of a sudden. It made it looks like what it actually was, an old gen RPG.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This was my second game for my PS4. Good times.

Game is a looker and I think the combat isn't bad. Thing is, the quest design is akin to an MMO, which really bored me at times.

Still a cool game. Would have loved to beat it, but the power went down on my house while the game was saving and I had to format the damn console, losing all my saves and around 80 hours of playtime. :lollipop_pensive:

And remember, you have to leave the Hinterlands.

People are smoking hate aid if they;re saying the combat is bad. Sure the side quests were shit and it had a lot of mmo features and some of the character dialogues were super cringe, but the main story, the atmosphere and the combat were fucking great. Miles ahead of Dragon Age 2 and in a different direction than Origins as it was less rpg'ish and more action oriented. I get that it wasnt an crpg as most people wanted and Dread Wolf will most likely be the same since it was in development way before BG3 and I doubt its popularity changed Biowares minds about the gameplay but then again Bioware was never really that great at classic rpg mechanics.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I loved this game and did two full playthroughs. I get some of the complaints but overall they were minor IMO.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
"Leave the Hinterlands" was a meme at the time. The first section of the game put a lot of people off, because it involved so many simplistic fetch quests - especially if you're someone like me, who tries to do most of the side-quests. The game becomes more interesting after the Hinterlands, but a lot of people didn't make it that far.

I enjoyed the game okay. It's hard to remember exactly, because it's been so long since I played it, but I seem to remember the characters, story, combat, and choices being pretty good. I don't remember having any big complaints about the game, apart from the sluggish start. I can still remember some of the characters -- Alistair, Leliana, Sera, Cassandra, Solas. I couldn't tell you what the story was about, though.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I'm replaying it on PS5 also to prep for the upcoming entry and have gathered quite a lot of thoughts about it.

I'm about halfway through the main quest and already sunk 75 hours - I'm having a blast!

To a huge extent I enjoy this game is that this still is a authentic Bioware RPG experience despite some questionable changes. The companion story arcs and character development are just spot on, I can't overstate how much I enjoy the party member banter - those stuff you rarely get in nowadays streamlined games.

Also this is the first time I don't feel like the LGBT+ stuff are shoehorned in a game. The game touches it in quite a few places but at least those folks were written as normal acting people just with a different sexuality choice, while in today's woke infested gaming writing, lots of those type characters unbearably cringy.

While playing I just couldn't help think how the hell Bioware was able to output such a consistent string of high quality games in a unfathomable pace:

2007 - Mass Effect
2009 - Dragon age Origin
2010 - ME 2
2011 - DA 2
2012 - ME3
2014 - DA:I

Thinking about this only makes their collapse more devastating.

RavageX

Personally I never understood the hate. I enjoyed the game. It did take me a couple tries but once I sat down and paid attention, I had a great time. I think some played the game wrong perhaps. People kept complaining about being stuck in some areas, but I don't recall having that problem.

If people are going to complain about a dragon age game, it should always be Dragon Age 2. THAT was shit.

I had no issues with gameplay or combat, but people really still had a hard on for the way the first Dragon Age was, and in my opinion that style of combat was...rough, but loved everything else.

Last edited:

Zeypher

I enjoyed the game. The war table part sucked as I would have liked a alot of those war table missions to have been proper quests. Otherwise the game was alright. Loved the howling wastes map, really loved the entire map's ambience and presentation.

Esca

I don't remember much but I know I did like the game. It clicked with me and I think I was even close to a platinum on it. Origins was leagues ahead of this one though

SkylineRKR

Inquisition started off well but then was full of boring empty areas full of fetch quests. They would copy paste this template into Andromeda.

The first game was absolutely great. I was completely engrossed in it. They never managed to recapture this.

brenobnfm

Fantastic game, not without its flaws, but still one of the best of the generation (much better than crap like God of War) and best by far in the series.

poodaddy

For some reason I finished this putrid pile of bile....goddamn what a boring game. That was back when I would force myself to "finish" games, even if I hated them, this was the game that changed my mindset on that. I want those hours back.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll watch a YT recap of this if the new one looks good. I recall being 20 hours in and bouncing off hard to not ever come back.

I don’t remember much about Inquisition, but I felt it was a pretty good game with some things holding it back. For example, I really, really didn’t like the progression system in DA: Inquisition. I finished the game, but I was definitely a turn off for me. Also, imo some of the quests felt like filler, MMO-style busy work.

simpatico

Same here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'll always remember that shitty game as the true starting point for me for all this woke bullshit in gaming.

Haven't touched it since.

2 was dog shit tier too.
I make this connection with it too. "Our wizard is gay so therefore our game is mature. Possibly too mature for many to even handle" Meanwhile the plot was teen lit tier at best and the combat was taken out of an MMO. I couldn't finish it, which is pretty rare for me on a game I bought day 1.

Dragon Age Origins is one of my favorite games. I even defend Dragon Age 2, as it would have been better received as the small spin off game is began development as. It still does some really unique things with narrative that I haven't seen copied. Just the small scope of it taking place in a rather small area. I thought it was unique. As a full blown sequel to Origins it's still a failure though, but mostly in naming conventions.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

I make this connection with it too. "Our wizard is gay so therefore our game is mature. Possibly too mature for many to even handle" Meanwhile the plot was teen lit tier at best and the combat was taken out of an MMO. I couldn't finish it, which is pretty rare for me on a game I bought day 1.

Dragon Age Origins is one of my favorite games. I even defend Dragon Age 2, as it would have been better received as the small spin off game is began development as. It still does some really unique things with narrative that I haven't seen copied. Just the small scope of it taking place in a rather small area. I thought it was unique. As a full blown sequel to Origins it's still a failure though, but mostly in naming conventions.
Am I to really believe DA2 is shit? I think I want to give it a go.

Soltype

Wish the gameplay was like the first game.I actually enjoyed the all the lore they provided about the universe. The game reminded me a lot of FFXII, the 2 games handled a lot of things similarly save for gameplay.

EverydayBeast

I think it's worth playing if you like the series. I'm basing this off memories of playing the game at launch on PC DVD-ROM, so it's been a while. Think of it as an experimental spin off that cost $39.99 at launch.
Thank you for your comment, I was fortunate enough to play origins but gave up on 2.

IMG-4711.png

Played Inquisition on PC recently, started a new character as well, but haven't fired it up for several days. I enjoy it when in the mood to play, otherwise it feels like a chore. Still looks great when maxed on PC with a little DLDSR.

I honestly really enjoyed this game. It's strange because it won GOTY but then it just felt like people who didn't like the game became the majority. I've played through it like 3 times already. I've easily put 300 hours into it at least. Just last year I played it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom