• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandatory One Before You Die

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Tetris Effect.
Like seriously this is gonna sound kinda morbid, but If i knew I was gonna go in like a few hours and I only had one game I could play id probably pick Tetris Effect with my DT770 Pros..
Its an Audio/Visual masterpiece based on the greatest game of all time.
Ive had my little nephew/nieces catch me playing Tetris and they are used to seeing me with the latest greatest games with the graphics cranked to max at 100+ fps(im the only PC gamer in the family).......but here I am playing Tetris.
I give them a go.....and you can see the Tetris Effect acting on them cuz they suddenly want to pile your books, or remotes up.

apps.7969.14331659527374482.41811e97-d335-41b1-beac-d5e74757cfb5.cc031aa5-b5f5-419e-94a0-96595c705752

10.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

TetrisEffect_June_4K_01.0.png

If not that id ask them to pray to their god to let their final moments be peak PSO so they can enjoy that game during its prime.
pso-1650736194063.jpg

YuLY

Mass Effect 1.

It changed gaming for me. I started playing in 2001 or so started with basic mainstream shit from that era (on PC) stuff like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Serious Sam 1, starcraft etc. Then I eventually found Gothic 2 and that game made me an RPG lover, there was nothing quite like it in those days, it was the pre-Witcher, Dragon Age etc era. You did have Morrowind but it was mostly first person, 3rd person was janky af and for someone that young it felt so unintuitive, only got into it much later.
But after 2005 or so, after heavy hitters like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Kotor1/2, I just wasnt seeing anything that special on the horizon, something to feel so awesome to be hyped for.

Mass Effect 1 changed all that. The feeling of being in that universe, the synth music while exploring those uncharted planets in the Mako and you find an abandoned mine filled inside with indoctrinated scientists, scary af. You go on another planet, synth music again, snow, blizzard , you're vibing...suddenly you get startled by a thresher maw that appears from under the ground.

You go to the Citadel and see all these super interesting alien cultures and unique looking aliens with no forced agenda upon you, just a great story and universe to explore. Feel like a huge universe just opened before you and everything you knew changed, you didnt know who to talk to first to learn more about these new interesting creatures.
After knowing all that you go again to one of those uncharted planets for an obscure side quest, vibe synth music again, you feel the awesome contrast between the uncharted, desolate, obscure, forgotten by time and creation planet that you are on and the full of life alien empires across the Milky Way, each with their homeworlds and cities and cultures. You, on this desolate planet, and them, in full of life places. That contrast felt special, there was something great about that loneliness & solitude and then leaving for a place full of life and different species. Not everyone liked the uncharted planets, but I think they were integral to the feeling of that game.

Everything was special, the music, the aliens, the universe lore, even the somewhat basic but awesome story of heroism. I miss games where you are not just a random link in a chain, but you are the hero, life is already mundane, I play games for escapism. In a way Mass Effect changed a bit who I am as a person and what I'm looking for not only in games, but in life also.

I have no doubt the first Mass Effect will forever be my favorite game forever, I just dont see in the current industry with the talent that is left, who could possibly make something on that level again. Side note: I enjoy all ME games, especially 1st and 2nd, but the first one is more special for various reasons.

Last edited:

Kazdane

Gold Member
Tetris Effect.
Like seriously this is gonna sound kinda morbid, but If i knew I was gonna go in like a few hours and I only had one game I could play id probably pick Tetris Effect with my DT770 Pros..
Ive had my little nephew/nieces catch me playing Tetris and they are used to seeing me with the latest greatest games with the graphics cranked to max at 100+ fps(im the only PC gamer in the family).......but here I am playing Tetris.
I give them a go.....and you can see the Tetris Effect acting on them cuz they suddenly want to pile your books, or remotes up.

apps.7969.14331659527374482.41811e97-d335-41b1-beac-d5e74757cfb5.cc031aa5-b5f5-419e-94a0-96595c705752

10.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

If not that id ask them to pray to their god to let their final moments be peak PSO so they can enjoy that game during its prime.
pso-1650736194063.jpg
I can definitely vouch for Tetris Effect. Amazing visuals, amazing music and it actually tells a story! It was one of the most surprising games I've played in the past few years. I was expecting a regular Tetris game...

PanzerCute

Tetris Effect.

10.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

pso-1650736194063.jpg
Teris Effect in VR is a magical experience. I will never forget the first time I played it.

And I still play from time to time on PSVR2. Its sublime with HDR and the Oled screen.

SoloCamo

Mass Effect 1.

It changed gaming for me. I started playing in 2001 or so started with basic mainstream shit from that era (on PC) stuff like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Serious Sam 1, starcraft etc. Then I eventually found Gothic 2 and that game made me an RPG lover, there was nothing quite like it in those days, it was the pre-Witcher, Dragon Age etc era. You did have Morrowind but it was mostly first person, 3rd person was janky af and for someone that young it felt so unintuitive, only got into it much later.
But after 2005 or so, after heavy hitters like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Kotor1/2, I just wasnt seeing anything that special on the horizon, something to feel so awesome to be hyped for.

Mass Effect 1 changed all that. The feeling of being in that universe, the synth music while exploring those uncharted planets in the Mako and you find an abandoned mine filled inside with indoctrinated scientists, scary af. You go on another planet, synth music again, snow, blizzard , you're vibing...suddenly you get startled by a thresher maw that appears from under the ground.

As a huge RPG fan and Morrowind being my go to... is it really worth it? Despite owning it I've never actually put time into Mass Effect but I've been recommended it multiple times...

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
As a huge RPG fan and Morrowind being my go to... is it really worth it? Despite owning it I've never actually put time into Mass Effect but I've been recommended it multiple times...
No. The story is mid and the traversal in vehicle for long stretches of nothing will wear you out. Only do it if you want it to affect your playthrough of Mass Effect 2 and 3, which are compelling sci-fi epics. Note that the finale does not quite stick the landing.

Last edited:

YuLY

For me there is nothing else like the trilogy, like literally, there is nothing that carry choices over 3 games, romances etc. And also there is no other space opera game like this, the only one close is Kotor 1. If you like space opera/SF in this style, theres nothing like it in gaming, not counting non-mainstream genres like 4x strategy games or point and clicks etc.

Last edited:

YuLY

No. The story is mid and the traversal in vehicle for long stretches of nothing will wear you out.
The story is mid ??? just the conversation with Vigil on Ilos is better than every game combined released in the last decade, the fuck you even talking about. I'm getting chills just thinking about it or the first time you talk to Sovereign. I've never seen a more wrong opinion on this forum. Like you can talk about combat and some other stuff in the first ME, but story ? jesus.

Raven117

Gold Member
Hmmmmm.

Is this a question that one game is supposed to appeal to the most people… or is it a question of of games are for you… this is the one?

For mass appeal, we have an answer.. it’s GTA5.

Solidus_T

What is the one game you think ALL players should try once before they die?

Let’s not go list 20 games because you can’t make a god damn decision. ONE game. Why?

For me the one game I think every person should play at least once before they kick the bucket is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It’s Kojimas best game. It doesn’t overstay its welcome, is highly replay able to this day, has a tight gameplay loop, great pacing, and showcases a game that withstands the test of time. Love how much depth is here in the package. A cornerstone of gamings finest offerings especially for a stealth fan.

AW6Bq9R.jpeg
OP this is the exact same game I would recommend. It is high art in the video game medium, and a great challenge if you want to play the game lore-accurate (extreme mode).

Trilobit

Gold Member
RDR2

SYtpO.gif

Take your time with it, don't rush. Immerse yourself in its atmosphere and world. Ride in the moonlight or when it's raining. Drink some whiskey and play cards. Sit by the camp and listen to your camp mates talking or singing.

It's truly one of the most special games out there with lots of passion poured into it and will be a magical experience if you play it in its own tempo.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Gold Member
So many of my favorite games showing up in this thread... it's hard to choose. But if I had to pick one game that is timeless, universal, and honestly pretty perfect, it would have to be Chrono Trigger.

That's not nostalgia talking either. I never owned a Super Nintendo and didn't play the game until well into the PS3/Xbox/Wii generation. It's just that good.

MujkicHaris

Dragon Quest VIII

It's like a perfect package. Wonderful, well written story complimented by beautiful art style, varied gameplay systems, balanced enemy AI, tons of meaningful content. No UI markers telling the player where to go.
But the greatest thing this game has to offer is a strong sense of adventure into unknown; very few games have this in larger capacity.

Even DQ XI fails to come anywhere near to perfection that VIII is. Not only is the game mandatory but if I were to pick one game to play for the rest of my life, DQ VIII would be my choice.

JP0V5IF.png

gA3hKxr.png
XCkTApm.png
MhBpF8g.png

PHSTE6v.png
Yq2avWG.png

Last edited:

nush

Gameboy Tetris. A videogame distilled into its purest form and accessible to anyone. Even your grandmother could play this and just get it.

WoJ

Mass Effect 1.

You go to the Citadel and see all these super interesting alien cultures and unique looking aliens with no forced agenda upon you, just a great story and universe to explore. Feel like a huge universe just opened before you and everything you knew changed, you didnt know who to talk to first to learn more about these new interesting creatures.
After knowing all that you go again to one of those uncharted planets for an obscure side quest, vibe synth music again, you feel the awesome contrast between the uncharted, desolate, obscure, forgotten by time and creation planet that you are on and the full of life alien empires across the Milky Way, each with their homeworlds and cities and cultures. You, on this desolate planet, and them, in full of life places. That contrast felt special, there was something great about that loneliness & solitude and then leaving for a place full of life and different species. Not everyone liked the uncharted planets, but I think they were integral to the feeling of that game.

Everything was special, the music, the aliens, the universe lore, even the somewhat basic but awesome story of heroism. I miss games where you are not just a random link in a chain, but you are the hero, life is already mundane, I play games for escapism. In a way Mass Effect changed a bit who I am as a person and what I'm looking for not only in games, but in life also.

I have no doubt the first Mass Effect will forever be my favorite game forever, I just dont see in the current industry with the talent that is left, who could possibly make something on that level again. Side note: I enjoy all ME games, especially 1st and 2nd, but the first one is more special for various reasons.

Are you me? This describes so perfectly how I feel about Mass Effect 1 and the series as a whole. Like literally everything you wrote.

If I had to pick just one game this would be it. If I can cheat I'd say the answer is Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

Meicyn

Gold Member
pso-1650736194063.jpg
I neglected going to class during my sophomore year of college because of that fucking game.

Zero regrets, completely worth it.

It's always Ocarina of Time. So many things people take for granted were pioneered by it, and somehow the game holds up well to this day. Just playing it is a learning experience in game design and it does a great job not just to teach players how to play the game, but video games in general.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I neglected going to class during my sophomore year of college because of that fucking game.

Zero regrets, completely worth it.

Prime PSO.
I could hear the Forest theme song when I was just walking around minding my own business.

As soon as I was home, that Dreamcast is on.
I would wait for the white light to actually take a piss, take my shoes/jacket off etc actually arrive home.

Literally the first game that made me fake being sick.

Pimpollo818

This is actually my sig on the Codex:

10 games to play before you die: Shadow of the Colossus/Hollow Knight/Deus Ex (GMDX)/STALKER: Call of Pripyat (Misery 1.2)/Bloodborne/Thumper/DOOM: Eternal/Spelunky/Metroid Prime 2: Echoes/Nex Machina

Yes, it’s one of the great experiences in gaming for me in all my years. It had the perfect length of around 30 hrs, with vastly different play style depending on your build, and the story is fantastic, like a season of your favorite sci-fi space opera show, blending elements from all the best sci-fi films and TV from the 70’s to early 2000s, from Star Wars, to Star Trek, to Bladerunner, to Aliens, to Babylon 5, to Battlestar Galactica, with a dash of James Bond thrown in as well.
It was BioWare at its peak creatively and execution wise.

Prey

When I finished it I was convinced its top 10 material. I always give time to these so I don’t get affected by recency bias. But weirdly enough, as time passes its climbing the ranks.

WoJ

Dragon Quest VIII

It's like a perfect package. Wonderful, well written story complimented by beautiful art style, varied gameplay systems, balanced enemy AI, tons of meaningful content. No UI markers telling the player where to go.
But the greatest thing this game has to offer is a strong sense of adventure into unknown; very few games have this in larger capacity.

Even DQ XI fails to come anywhere near to perfection that VIII is. Not only is the game mandatory but if I were to pick one game to play for the rest of my life, DQ VIII would be my choice.

JP0V5IF.png

gA3hKxr.png
XCkTApm.png
MhBpF8g.png

PHSTE6v.png
Yq2avWG.png
Even though this isn't my personal choice I totally get where you're coming from. I loved my time with DQ8. The game is magical. It may even be in my top 5 all time.

I'm not the biggest fan of remasters, but this game deserves to be brought to modern consoles.

Top Bottom