• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Yeah everyone pretty much thinks that Wolverine needs more "excitement" to his play.

I don't have a problem with his effectiveness at all, but definitely needs more aesthetic flash and animations.

I got a bit bored of just standing there with Wolvie, slashing away, so I invested a lot of points into his dash/lunge/movement power and its given me a new way to play him.
The DPS seems ok (level 44 doing about 10-12k per hit) and its pretty fun just zig-zagging around the screen, though you have to have decent aim for it to be effective.
I thought about making a Movement Power-centric Ms Marvel in the past, but havent got around to it yet.

Yoday

I had enough to sell on steam to add some more G's and I picked up Loki. The random was my third strait dupe..oh yay! Oh well, Loki is pretty awesome so far.

Gothos

Forget the help potions, everything in this game is becoming "just go to your preferred NPC slot machine and get it there, no matter what you are looking for" Uniques, costumes, characters, etc. they got it. I love loot games, but what I love about them is that the loot comes from killing stuff, from doing your routes, killing bosses, etc.

Yes, you can ignore boxes, yes there is basically no trade so it shouldn't affect me what others do in their game, but in the end they are just making a game where you grind for currencies, and pull a lever to get the loot. A worse concept than Diablo 3's AH imo. The appeal is going to be more to get all the different heroes with their unique powers and level them up than the loot itself, and that is an idea I'm not particularly fond of, even though I love Marvel's braod hero pool.

Well, it's the F2P title using MMO concepts and all those things you mentioned fit both of them. Additionally, MH is in general a casual game, so that's that...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Forget the help potions, everything in this game is becoming "just go to your preferred NPC slot machine and get it there, no matter what you are looking for" Uniques, costumes, characters, etc. they got it. I love loot games, but what I love about them is that the loot comes from killing stuff, from doing your routes, killing bosses, etc.

Yes, you can ignore boxes, yes there is basically no trade so it shouldn't affect me what others do in their game, but in the end they are just making a game where you grind for currencies, and pull a lever to get the loot. A worse concept than Diablo 3's AH imo. The appeal is going to be more to get all the different heroes with their unique powers and level them up than the loot itself, and that is an idea I'm not particularly fond of, even though I love Marvel's braod hero pool.

eh, but you said it right there, they are making a game where that is an option.

Also you forget that the Diablo 3 was fundamentally AND monumentally worse because the AH DID AFFECT the game. 3000 of a particular piece on the AH and RMAH? That directly lowered the drop rate in-game. The difference is in MH you can ignore currency randoms and just play the game vanilla. In Diablo 3 by it's very nature you couldn't ignore the AH because so much of the gear was posted to it that it eventually became the ONLY place you could get the gear short of very exaggerated loot runs.

From a purist standpoint I get what you are saying.. and I do hope that they leave (or turn into) some shit where it is purely drop only. Definitely agree. But the random boxes they have setup everywhere and the different currencies, as long as they stay 100% optional and don't impact the game anyway whatsoever, I'm ok with it.

And I do think they have some drop-only stuff that they've been doing. I think all of the new stuff (HoD, Kingpin Cane, MODOK's chair, etc) So that stuff still needs to be farmed, and honestly uniques you are still going to find probably 90% of them farming. The rarity in the Ghost Box or whatever is so low that (obviously luck aside) most people are looking at dozens and dozens of spirits or whatever just to get one unique that may not even be usable.

Lord Phol

Yeah I don't agree with that. I'm playing the game just fine normally; doing story mode, red terminals, farming MM and doing some X-Defense. That's where I've gotten all my gear from and I have plenty of artifacts, uniques, comics and more. Even had some good luck with costume drops and plenty of mk1 cards. The ghost boxes on the other hand seem really bad from my experience. Not worth the trade in currency.

Compare this to Diablo 3 on PC, 150+ hours and I got 1 crappy legendary. Couldn't beat Inferno at launch until I bought über equipment off the AH some months later which made it go from impossibruuuu to a cakewalk. I know diablo is getting pretty awesome with the expansion but the vanilla game has been far from that. My time with Marvel heroes has been alot better regarding the actual loot.

With Runes, Uru-items and Stark-tech on their way, there should be plenty of fun loot to find!

Wallach

The stuff like ghost boxes or random gear boxes are really only there for people who don't need to spend those currencies on their primary purposes (i.e. people who pay for everything with real cash or don't care about FCs/heroes). They're not meant for actually trying to get stuff like uniques out of them, nor are they even remotely close at competing with actually clearing content to find those items.

GManDH

The contract was mentioned to be for 10 years, so lets hope it gets better. I heard WoW is going downhill, so as long as this game doesnt mess up itll get a bigger base each year, imo.

KePoW

Banned

Like others have already said, you don't get Uniques this way. At least I never have.

borghe

Like others have already said, you don't get Uniques this way. At least I never have.

thought there actually was ONE box you had a chance at a unique with. I could be wrong, but I thought it was ghost box or something.

edit - still, I don't think it's the end of the world to have some sort of high-end currency dump somewhere. WoW did it with valor points (and upgrades). And that was a game that introduces a new gear tier like every... umm...6-9ish months?

I am wondering what they are going to do about end game. I mean the game is at a point now where there is end game. I'll give them that. And the raid is coming up. Just curious to see what pattern they are going to fall into. WoW would introduce new endgame to keep subscribers paying. Here there are no subscribers, so what do they do to keep veterans paying money? I mean eventually new blood is going to slow down.

inky

Also you forget that the Diablo 3 was fundamentally AND monumentally worse because the AH DID AFFECT the game. 3000 of a particular piece on the AH and RMAH? That directly lowered the drop rate in-game. The difference is in MH you can ignore currency randoms and just play the game vanilla. In Diablo 3 by it's very nature you couldn't ignore the AH because so much of the gear was posted to it that it eventually became the ONLY place you could get the gear short of very exaggerated loot runs.

Diablo 3 was a fundamentally worse game due to many things, and even then I disagree, you could definitely ignore the AH. The loot's basic design was so crap that there wasn't any reason to, but you definitely could. they had the sense to remove it from the game in the future because they finally understood that even when it was an option, it made the game worse for it.
I'm merely talking about one particular system vs the other. Both, in a way, might come to devalue the general drops you get and the slot machine experience is not the one I want to rely on the most, for as weird as it sounds in a game based around randomness.

From a purist standpoint I get what you are saying.. and I do hope that they leave (or turn into) some shit where it is purely drop only. Definitely agree. But the random boxes they have setup everywhere and the different currencies, as long as they stay 100% optional and don't impact the game anyway whatsoever, I'm ok with it.

Yeah, that is what I'm getting at. Coming from the costume talk above is why I said that. When this game launched, the costume chase was for me the moment I was looking forward to the most, as a loot hunting game. 700 hours later, and still no costume drop (with goodies like chase costumes already on the store) I have already resigned myself and crafted around 6 costumes instead, which have devalued the experience of getting one as a drop and, the game has moved on to: getting enough credits, molecules and prestiging enough to keep doing it as a replacement. It is an option, I could ignore it, but why should I really?

Now uniques are still a nice thing to get, but they aren't really that ultimate item drop now, and plenty of the things they are adding will work in a craft/upgrade/box way as well, so that is the general gist of what I'm rambling about.

Compare this to Diablo 3 on PC, 150+ hours and I got 1 crappy legendary. Couldn't beat Inferno at launch until I bought über equipment off the AH some months later which made it go from impossibruuuu to a cakewalk. I know diablo is getting pretty awesome with the expansion but the vanilla game has been far from that. My time with Marvel heroes has been alot better regarding the actual loot.

To me it was the opposite of that really. I got a stupid amount of legendaries and set items. I usually would get 1-2 per Butcher run even when Inferno was impossible. It is just that Diablo 3 is fundamentally flawed because of the poor affix allocation and pool that made items only be useful if they had 1 particular set of them. My time with MH has been great too, and infinitely better in terms of drops and loot variety & usefulness simply because D3 was a terrible game at everything but raw combat.

I just prefer one type of experience to the other and would hope the game would lean more towards that. For me the game keeps being as enjoyable to play as ever, but there is no longer that drop moment I keep looking forward to, just a million of smaller ones combined that can add up to craft/gamble/upgrade until you finally have it.

The stuff like ghost boxes or random gear boxes are really only there for people who don't need to spend those currencies on their primary purposes (i.e. people who pay for everything with real cash or don't care about FCs/heroes). They're not meant for actually trying to get stuff like uniques out of them, nor are they even remotely close at competing with actually clearing content to find those items.

Again, I mentioned uniques as an example because now there is a way, when there wasn't before, just like with heroes and costumes. People are getting too hung up on that mention and pretending I am talking only about that particular case, when I'm talking about a system in general. I know who are they aimed at, I know people with excess ES and Cube Shards want something else to do with them, that is why there is also a random cosmic box as well, etc. I know all those things. Getting uniques in boxes is ot the point, or not the only point I'm trying to get at. I hope I made that clear above.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I see splinter boxes more as a splinter sink if you have all the heroes, or to gear someone up if you're very undergeared. I certainly wouldn't gamble on them if I had heroes left to buy, which I do.

borghe

the problem with prestiging and using that for costume crafting is that you are still ultimately limited to 4(?) extra costumes per character. so 1.33 costume crafts per character.

I get why they do the chase costumes on the store. I mean they are the most expensive costumes aside from enhanced. But yeah.. I almost wish they would do chase costumes that will NEVER go on the store, AND be tradeable.

Ploid 3.0

Chase costumes were a special sort of costume that was going to be drop only and was never going to be on the store. When they added splinters and modified th drop rates they started selling them on the store for $13.50 but only during a limited time. They only have them available now during sales and some special weekends. Some chase costumes examples are the white Black Widow/Jean outfits, Hulk 2099, Battle Armor Thor and Golden Mk I armor Iron Man. Basically everyone on the launch lineup has a chase costume. They can also be crafted, but they have a lower chance to appear.

They were supposed to be these ultra rare drops, but now every costume is an ultra rare drop, so they just became expensive, limited availabilty costumes. Some are just recolors while others are pretty unique looking.

They have handled the whole chase costume thing very poorly imo. They should just be a permanent addition to the store nowadays because some of them are certainly not worth the price or the artificial scarcity.

Gold Mk 1 looks so boring. Poor Iorn Man. I like Heart Breaker over it. Thanks for the info.

borghe

I bought Storm African Goddess.

Now that I have Rocket Raccoon I will definitely buy his fish bowl costume the next time they go up. That honestly might be about it. Oh, maybe the Amazing Bag Man also but I still don't have Spider-Man.

Wallach

Again, I mentioned uniques as an example because now there is a way, when there wasn't before, just like with heroes and costumes. People are getting too hung up on that mention and pretending I am talking only about that particular case, when I'm talking about a system in general. I know who are they aimed at, I know people with excess ES and Cube Shards want something else to do with them, that is why there is also a random cosmic box as well, etc. I know all those things. Getting uniques in boxes is ot the point, or not the only point I'm trying to get at. I hope I made that clear above.

I get what you're saying, though I think it really only applies to any meaningful extent to heroes and costumes, which I also think was the right decision. Those were pretty bad choices for the upper-crust type rare drops. Pretty much everything else in this game is not handled through these kinds of systems, and in the cases that they've since included they have taken enough measure to preserve the value of the items involved. I don't really see that changing, either. Given that they're really only progressing into rarer and rarer drops at this point I'm not particularly worried about it.

borghe

yeah... I wouldn't want to see heroes and costumes at all relegated to drops again. I think the exclusive costumes are cool and fun, as long as they aren't limited to the best costumes in the game (though I can't see why they would be, as that's basically money left on the table). IMHO costumes should ultimately remain like they are now, with some drop-only costumes implemented.

24/7 Store costumes
Limited holiday/event costumes
Fortune card costumes
drop-only chase costumes that are tradeable

They could easily move the existing chase costumes (or I guess they have) to the second type of costume. Then just add a new drop-only costume for each character one at a time.

The only rule to the above is that the best costumes should always be in the first category. Make them available to everyone all the time. Everything else should be relatively niche or specific without massive widespread appeal.

Like I think the new FC series is a great example.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The nerf to costume drop rates well overshot the mark. I haven't gotten one since ES were introduced over like, 300+ hours of play time. Before that, in the first month, I got a few. My gut feeling is that since heroes are now more easy to acquire (no RNG, just playing regularly), they want to preserve costumes as the primary money maker. And what with prestiging giving extra costumes, it's already fairly easy to craft random costumes on the semi-regular. I just wish they'd drop once in a blue moon to balance it out a bit.

I'm guessing this promotion may have made Gaz more money than anything similar they've done up to this point, and I think they'll keep experimenting with different sorts of promotions. When it comes down to it, perceived value will typically lead to an increase in spending.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
liking Ms. Marvel at least early on (photonic tree of course, I like my flashiness!), question about Colossus, can he have both Wolverine and Magik out or do they share cooldowns?

uIeZzcc.jpg

*Kreygasm*

Finally coming.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
err that emma costume might break my no costume policy o_O

Jagxyz

"After careful consideration internally, we have decided to extend the 7 day protection policy that we have always offered on our standard sales to this promotion. If you purchased a hero or costume in the 7 days prior to this promotion going live on 01/17, you will have a random hero or costume box in your inventory upon your next login to the game."

Pretty awesome of them to do it even though they had no obligation to.

What's the story behind that costume... is that Emma?

Yes, that's Emma.
Last year, the Avengers vs. X-Men event happened, in which the Phoenix Force spread itself across 5 mutants - Cyclops, Emma, Colossus, Magik and Namor.
They all wore unique costumes (usually referred to as Phoenix Force or Phoenix Five alts). Colossus and Cyke's are already in game (Cyclops' is his chase costume, though). Emma was the only of the currently in-game Phoenix 5 to not have that suit.

Avx-8-Adam-Kubert-Variant-Cover.jpg

inky

You'll get her eventually, inky. She's at least on the shorter list.
I'll probably never get my favorite heroine (Monica Rambeau). :p

Eventually is at least a year from now. That's too long a wait.
I totally caved in and bought the stupid advanced pack anyway :p

I'll probably never get Fantomex, but I don't say anything about that either :p

Wallach

Buy me one so I can get the Wolverine Fear Itself costume a month early, okay? Thanks.

Rhaknar

Why is cyclops using cap's shield in that cover, did he steal it lol?

I am holding out for Darkhawk! I bet you never thought you would hear that huh?
No chance in hell status lol

inky

You are going to read that tvtropes link? See you back on Friday I guess.

Edit: dammit, I thought about that joke first!

Rhaknar

Rhaknar falls down the tvtropes hole... see you in 3 hours!

You are going to read that tvtropes link? See you back on Friday I guess.

Edit: dammit, I thought about that joke first!

Nah I only skimmed the comic section, I thought it was a comic only thing, not TV tropes, been there done that :p

But what does it look like from the back? ;)

I have to admit...I was thinking just that >_>

I know he is not impossible, but I might be an old man when that happens, and totally over videogames.

Actually, I believe he is significantly more possible than you think. Marvel likes Fantomex, as he's a new character who's gained a lot of popularity. Plus, there's not that many X-Men left that are important. Next and already this year, the game will already be down to some mutant B-listers like Domino, X-23 or Magik, to which Fantomex firmly belongs to, especially since he's been a mainstay in X-Force, which currently is getting pushed by Marvel (and all the aforementioned characters also happen to belong to as well). And to top it off, he has a unique powerset, which also is something Gazillion likes to look at.

He might not be this or next year, but I don't expect him any later than 2017.

Rhaknar

What ARE his powers anyway? He showed up long after I stopped reading comics, I know he was in xforce with Deadpool, Psylocke and angel but I don't know the char. Is he even a mutant?

Top Bottom