• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Nope. There isn't one. But I don't even want a fighting game out of this initiative. It's been done. Games with great stories that are repsentative of their characters would be great.

Everyone is really hung up on the idea of a Marvel fighting game.

I didn't realize that this deal could only have one game made.

Nope. There isn't one. But I don't even want a fighting game out of this initiative. It's been done. Games with great stories that are repsentative of their characters would be great.

Everyone is really hung up on the idea of a Marvel fighting game.
maxresdefault.jpg

V_Arnold

I just cant wrap my head around the idea that all that talk and there is NO plan for a new Marvel vs Capcom.

I just cannot. That series has a HUGE legacy. It dominated the FGC with pure HYPE for so many years. It can still generate insanely good moments in the tournaments. I do not get it.

Give Capcom the budget, the overseeing, whatever they need, but please, realize that a genius FGC is more recognition, respect and - obviously - brand power than any random game could ever be.

I hope publisheres all around the world will start considering financing these types of projects purely for fame and respect (which strengthens, not erodes the brand). Obviously, you need to be in a good financial shape for that, but if anyone, Marvel can do it.

Neoxon

I just cant wrap my head around the idea that all that talk and there is NO plan for a new Marvel vs Capcom.

I just cannot. That series has a HUGE legacy. It dominated the FGC with pure HYPE for so many years. It can still generate insanely good moments in the tournaments. I do not get it.

Give Capcom the budget, the overseeing, whatever they need, but please, realize that a genius FGC is more recognition, respect and - obviously - brand power than any random game could ever be.

I hope publisheres all around the world will start considering financing these types of projects purely for fame and respect (which strengthens, not erodes the brand). Obviously, you need to be in a good financial shape for that, but if anyone, Marvel can do it.
And most importantly, make an exception to that stupid-ass ban for Capcom. I mean, Capcom could technically go for the license, but they've been playing things too safe for their own good as of late. They need to take a few risks every once-in-a-while, & MvC4 would be a risk worth taking.

Cross Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Kojima, From Software, and anyone else who has a highly successful ip to their name off your wishlist people.

In an interview about the upcoming Spider-Man, they said they look at everything that Spider-Man appeared in (Merchandise, Comics, Movies, cartoons....)

Anyone else like the idea of Obsidian doing a RPG game, maybe avengers (as x-men is a nogo) or something?

I don't really see Obsidian doing this as they don't seem to have a good working relationship with other publishers. They're very much a "We'll work on it until it's done" studio, which has seemingly annoyed previous partners.

My understanding of this Marvel deal is they're trying to work with publishers and studios, not publishing any game themselves.

PSqueak

Banned
Im not sure exactly what this means for MVC, i wonder how they view capcom, it always feels like they're really passionate about marvel.

Come on marvel, i beg of you, please, MVC4!

amdb00mer

What could they do? Disney doesn't want to publish console/PC games anymore. It's not like Activision could put out great Spider-man games. That and they (Marvel) went to Sony to talk about a potential Spider-Man project. Marvel also wanted Spider-Man to be treated as if it was a First-Party IP/title.

Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive Entertainment do operate independently. That's why the previous Spider-Man games were licensed to different developers and multi-platform. I understand Marvel and Disney seeking publisher and developer deals, but making it exclusive to one platform is bad business.

Should capcom really make mvc4? Casuals hate them. I think NRS should make MK vs marvel. With tons of sp content and stiff gameplay. Also most capcom heroes wear masks so face design/ animation won't be hard for NRS this time lol.

Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive Entertainment do operate independently. That's why the previous Spider-Man games were licensed to different developers and multi-platform. I understand Marvel and Disney seeking publisher and developer deals, but making it exclusive to one platform is bad business.

How? They were able to get spiderman into MCU. That's worth far more than console warrior pride

Should capcom really make mvc4? Casuals hate them. I think NRS should make MK vs marvel. With tons of sp content and stiff gameplay. Also most capcom heroes were masks so face design/ animation won't be hard for NRS this time lol.

MK vs Marvel? Hell no lets not forget this shit plus NRS animations and models suck:
Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe_Coverart.png

As long as Capcom takes lessons learned from SFV and communicate better and not forced then Marvel 4 will be great.

Neoxon

Should capcom really make mvc4? Casuals hate them. I think NRS should make MK vs marvel. With tons of sp content and stiff gameplay. Also most capcom heroes were masks so face design/ animation won't be hard for NRS this time lol.
NRS already has DC, so I don't think they would work with Marvel. And if Capcom really focuses on filling the game with content, they may be able to get past the backlash towards SFV's lack of content at launch.

Isn't NRS a wholly owned subsidiary of WB now?

Doesn't seem like they would have a vested interest in working with Marvel properties.
Pretty much, yeah.

I'm pretty sure they're comfortable giving it to the overwhelming market leader at this point.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wonder if this Sony exclusive is at all tied into the whole "Sony/Marvel/MCU" deal. North Korea confirmed Best Korea?

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see Obsidian doing this as they don't seem to have a good working relationship with other publishers. They're very much a "We'll work on it until it's done" studio, which has seemingly annoyed previous partners.

My understanding of this Marvel deal is they're trying to work with publishers and studios, not publishing any game themselves.

Yes, but according to this info, Marvel wants them to give them the time and budget they need to make great game. So the publishers have to spend more time than usual. The Spiderman game probably won't release until 2018 or Fall 2017 at the earliest.

GeeTeeCee

I just cannot.That series has a HUGE legacy. It dominated the FGCwith pure HYPE for so many years. It can still generate insanely good moments in the tournaments. I do not get it.

I just can't see a fighting game being a bigger success than an open world Spider-Man game, or an Iron Man tps, for example. I know the FGC would want a new MvC above all else, but the FGC simply isn't big enough to warrant Marvel's immediate attention. Look at Street Fighter 5. Darling of the FGC, commercial poison. Marvel need to think bigger.

PSqueak

Banned
MK vs Marvel? Hell no lets not forget this shit plus NRS animations and models suck:
Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe_Coverart.png

As long as Capcom takes lessons learned from SFV and communicate better and not forced then Marvel 4 will be great.

I'll never forget the first time i played this, as most people know, the 360 doesn't let you choose the game's language, it defaults to the language of your system, since it was spanish in my case, it defaulted to the spaniard dub which is HORRIBLE, but it made me laugh when fucking Darkseid opened his mouth and the voice that came out was a high pitched squeaky voice like he had overdosed on helium.

Trup1aya

I just hope this doesn't mean Marvel becomes a Sony-Only thing. It's a great coup for Sony, but Marvel has fans on all platform. They should definately spread the love.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
That depends on if they lift the infamous X-Men/F4 ban anytime soon. But knowing Ike Perlmutter, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Well there are other characters/teams they can use instead for now. If Spiderman and the other games are really successful then they'll pull a Kevin Feige on Perlmutter again.

I just can't see a fighting game being a bigger success than an open world Spider-Man game, or an Iron Man tps, for example. I know the FGC would want a new MvC above all else, but the FGC simply isn't big enough to warrant Marvel's immediate attention. Look at Street Fighter 5. Darling of the FGC, commercial poison. Marvel need to think bigger.
/PJSalt....
maxresdefault.jpg

Playsage

That statement about Spider-Man game series being tied to Insomniac and Sony makes me feel conflicted: I feel bad about the prolonged exclusivity for those who don't have a PS4 or don't have plans in getting one...
But on the other hand...
INSOMNIAC IS GOING TO MAKE MULTIPLE SPIDER-MAN GAMES!!!
I'm so happy (for me and for them!)

Also, brace yourself for the inevitable Marvel x Platinum collaboration!

Just think of all the cool X-Men games that will never exist. You're never going to get the film rights back Marvel, just accept it and give us what we want.

PSqueak

Banned
So with this I can imagine he's establishing a universe similar to the movies... a sort of Marvel Game Universe (MGU) which is seperate from the movies and only draws inspiration from the comic books.

I can dig it.

I also dig the need for quality experiences... the arkham series is still the best superhero titles ever released. I hope insomniac challenges this with Spiderman.

With all this said... gonna need that Marvel vs. Capcom 4 tho.

Here is a thought:

Marvel begins the MGU, launches a few games, Spider-man, Guardians of the galaxy, Avengers, something to introduce the universe and a healthy number of both heroes, villians and support characters, they're all in the same universe and stuff, cameos, nods and interconnecting plots and all that, they set the universe.

Once the universe is set, boom! Marvel vs Capcom 4 with an actual story mode about the MGU clashing with the diverse capcom worlds!

Neoxon

Lol

They should just make a NEW ORIGINAL CHARACTER called Doctor Dome with his exact moveset.
They'd be better off just given the moves of the fallen X-Men/F4 characters to other existing Marvel characters (Captain Marvel gets Rogues moves, Black Panther gets Wolverine's moves, Loki gets Doctor Doom's moves, Groot gets Sentinel's moves, Gamora gets X-23's moves, Star-Lord gets Cable's moves, etc.).

Just think of all the cool X-Men games that will never exist. You're never going to get the film rights back Marvel, just accept it and give us what we want.
Unfortunately, Ike Perlmutter is one stubborn motherfucker.

Slaker117

Which seems very narrow-minded if true. Marvel still owns the X-Men comics and toys. It's crazy that they would sacrifice promoting their own X-Men stuff just to give Fox the middle-finger.

There have actually been rumors for a few years about a soft ban on X-Men action figures within the figure collecting community, which have been completely destroyed recently by an upcoming wave of all X characters. The occasional second/third-hand report of comments made by people on the inside made it sound as if there was never a mandate strictly disallowing it from happening, just that it was politically difficult while other options were easy, and people tend to follow the path of least resistance.

It's a totally different industry and all hearsay anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was happening with games. We can all observe the lack of X-Men in recent titles, but we can't say for certain what is a mandate from up high versus the resting state that was settled into due to whatever internal forces. The latter certainly can be, and probably will be, changed by a deliberate shift in strategy such as this, and even the former is not immutable.

You would have a point if Marvel was only allowing one game to be made, this deal seems like they want to see multiple games over the next few years. SFV was rushed and that's why it didn't do well not because it was a fighting game. Marvel 4 more than likely won't be rushed according to how Marvel is dealing with things this time around. The FGC is growing every year Evo is breaking multiple records in terms of attendance so it isn't like its 5 people in their basements playing these games.

IHaveIce

Banned
This sounds good, but unfortunately I have my reserved doubts about Disney owned companies and their plans on Videogames, it always feels like everything could be cancelled tommorrow.

I'll take Black Panther, Moon Knight, Doctor Strange game though

Or Hell a Guardians Of the Galaxy Mass Effect Style game.

J-Skee

Lol

They should just make a NEW ORIGINAL CHARACTER called Doctor Dome with his exact moveset.

I know people are saying that Marvel wouldn't use X-Men & FF characters in these games, but there's really no reason not to. All of those movie politics should not affect any other medium. Dr. Doom was in the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series not too long ago.

Neoxon

There have actually been rumors for a few years about a soft ban on X-Men action figures within the figure collecting community, which have been completely destroyed recently by an upcoming wave of all X characters. The occasional second/third-hand report of comments made by people on the inside made it sound as if there was never a mandate disallowing it from happening, just that it was politically difficult while other options were easy, and people tend to follow the path of least resistance.

It's a totally different industry and all hearsay anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was happening with games. We can all observe the lack of X-Men in recent titles, but we can't say for certain what is a mandate from up high versus the resting state that was settled into due to whatever internal forces. The latter certainly can be, and probably will be, changed by a deliberate shift in strategy such as this, and even the former is not immutable.
If I recall, the Hasbro used their influence on the industry to get past the toy ban. Marvel seems to have a harder grip on the video game ban.

Neoxon

I know people are saying that Marvel wouldn't use X-Men & FF characters in these games, but there's really no reason not to. All of those movie politics should not affect any other medium. Dr. Doom was in the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series not too long ago.
Doctor Doom hasn't been featured on Ultimate Spider-Man in a long time. In fact, they've phased out all of the X-Men & Fantastic Four characters from the cartoons as of recently.

GeeTeeCee

You would have a point if Marvel was only allowing one game to be made, this deal seems like they want to see multiple games over the next few years. SFV was rushed and that's why it didn't do well not because it was a fighting game. Marvel 4 more than likely won't be rushed according to how Marvel is dealing with things this time around. The FGC is growing every year Evo is breaking multiple records in terms of attendance so it isn't like its 5 people in their basements playing these games.

Part of the rush was because they wanted it out and ready in time for the tournament scene, sacrificing the casual crowd to appeal to the markedly smaller core FGC crowd, which is my same concern here. It's the same way some dedicated fighting game fans are already heralding Injustice 2 as a bomba because of the armour switching mechanic wrecking the tournament scene. The casual crowd won't care, and they're the ones the genre needs to be courting right now.

I just don't want this incredibly exciting venture by Marvel at risk even slightly because they're shackled to Capcom's increasingly shaky business decisions.

So with Marvel Ultimate Alliance supposedly coming to PS4/XBONE wouldn't the X-men/F4 ban stop it? Becuase Wolverine,Storm, Colussus, Iceman, the entire F4, and Doom are all in that game. So there might be a chance for an X-men game and F4 game possible.

Top Bottom