• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

AmFreak

I don't like it and i'm probably in the minority here.
But i would prefer top tier devs to work on something original instead of a superhero game.

Neoxon

Part of the rush was because they wanted it out and ready in time for the tournament scene, sacrificing the casual crowd to appeal to the markedly smaller core FGC crowd, which is my same concern here. It's the same way some dedicated fighting game fans are already heralding Injustice 2 as a bomba because of the armour switching mechanic wrecking the tournament scene. The casual crowd won't care, and they're the ones the genre needs to be courting right now.

I just don't want this incredibly exciting venture by Marvel at risk even slightly because they're shackled to Capcom's increasingly shaky business decisions.
But the thing is that Capcom now has their main Capcom Pro Tour game, so they don't have to rush another fighting game out to meet the deadline for the start of the CPT.

PSqueak

Banned
Lol

They should just make a NEW ORIGINAL CHARACTER called Doctor Dome with his exact moveset.

Marvel introduces new character "Decoy", it's a robot in a "not-dr doom" get up, similar enough to notice its supposed to be dr. doom, different enough to evade the ban, give him "amnesia" (damaged memory bank or some shit) and all of dr. Doom's moves and mannerisms, his quotes and taunts make vague references to Doom without dropping his name or outright stating he's talking about doom. Just keep using "Decoy" as long as the F4 ban exists.

Then when the ban is lifted, just reveal Decoy was a damaged Doom Bot and have him replaced by the real deal.

Neoxon

So with Marvel Ultimate Alliance supposedly coming to PS4/XBONE wouldn't the X-men/F4 ban stop it? Becuase Wolverine,Storm, Colussus, Iceman, the entire F4, and Doom are all in that game. So there might be a chance for an X-men game and F4 game possible.
The ban doesn't affect games made prior to Contest of Champions, only games made after Contest of Champions. This is how the Deadpool remaster managed to slip by untouched.

RibMan

I love this part:

He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games.

Excellency has become a trademark of Marvel movies, so it's encouraging to know they're seeking a similar trademark in games.

Insomniac really do have the opportunity to do what Rocksteady did with Batman. Insane! I really hope the game turns out good. I'm not fond of the brown filter/muted colors in the trailer, but that's just the trailer.

Sesha

I just can't see a fighting game being a bigger success than an open world Spider-Man game, or an Iron Man tps, for example. I know the FGC would want a new MvC above all else, but the FGC simply isn't big enough to warrant Marvel's immediate attention. Look at Street Fighter 5. Darling of the FGC, commercial poison. Marvel need to think bigger.

"Commercial poison" is nonsense. There are very clear and obvious reasons why SF5 has underperformed. Other fighting games like MKX, Injustice and Smash are big successes. Brands can't carry underwhelming products on their own. The US box office continually and the mass of poor licensed games with dismal sales proves that.

A properly executed Marvel fighting game is a recipe for success.

Nope. There isn't one. But I don't even want a fighting game out of this initiative. It's been done. Games with great stories that are repsentative of their characters would be great.

Everyone is really hung up on the idea of a Marvel fighting game.

I find this sentiment a bit curious. You say "it's been done" as if the features of the fighting game are irrelevant. You want games with great stories that stay true to the character. But having fighting games wouldn't take away from that. Niitsuma and the TvC and MvC3 team members aren't likely to work on anything but fighting games.

People want Marvel fighting games because there is a history of it, mostly from Capcom, and there is currently a series of successful DC fighting games.

IHaveIce

Banned
So weird Marvel still does this shit when their big comic event last year had Doctor Doom as the main antagonist and character and the F4 or at least Richards play a huge role.

Toki767

I'm kind of curious if a developer/publisher will want to take a stab at a Daredevil game considering the popularity of the show on Netflix.

I do wish we had a good Captain America or Iron Man game though.

GeeTeeCee

The ban doesn't affect games made prior to Contest of Champions, only games made after Contest of Champions. This is how the Deadpool remaster managed to slip by untouched.

I still find that ban weird. Marvel could make a Deadpool shooter right now, set in the comic book universe rather than Fox's X-Men stuff, and profit simply because Fox has done all the legwork for them. But they don't.

Neoxon

So weird Marvel still does this shit when their big comic event last year had Doctor Doom as the main antagonist and character and the F4 or at least Richards play a huge role.
To be fair, Secret Wars was a giant send-off for the Fantastic Four characters (with Jonathan Hickman, a gigantic F4 fanboy, at the helm).

Two Words

As a guy that worked at GameStop for years, let me tell you, kids fucking love Spider-Man. This exclusivity will be a big deal to a decent sized group.

Neoxon

As a guy that worked at GameStop for years, let me tell you, kids fucking love Spider-Man. This exclusivity will be a big deal to a decent sized group.
And thanks to Civil War, the Spider-Man hype is likely through the roof right now.

PSqueak

Banned

That's because it wouldn't make sense to enact a hard ban on comics, there is a sort of soft one, but they can't completely phase out those characters from the comics.

The ban is for other media to weaken Fox's grip on the characters and brand awareness, hoping to hurt movie ticket sales to get back the characters.

I can imagine many of their games will aim to release around their movie counterparts. Probably for their new characters. I know they aren't under any strict pressure as to when they release, but even having the Spider-Man game come out within a year of the movie would give it a huge boost.

Next year we will likely see:

• Spider-Man release in the fall/autumn
  • I think the Telltale game is going to be a GOTG game (makes sense)
Then in 2018 I think we will see one of the following:

• Either a Sucker Punch Captain Marvel or Iron Man game
  • Ant-Man/Wasp co-op game by Travellers Tales
I think they will unrelated to the movies though.

IHaveIce

Banned
To be fair, Secret Wars was a giant send-off for the Fantastic Four characters (with Jonathan Hickman, a gigantic F4 fanboy, at the helm).

Except Thing and Johnny are still in there and active, but I get what you mean

Though I think we can hope to see F4 characters back earlier than Xmen, those will never return to licensed media if Marvel stands on this position

Sesha

Reportedly the ban is enforced by Ike Perlmutter, who controls the merchandise and non-movie licensing.

Marvel introduces new character "Decoy", it's a robot in a "not-dr doom" get up, similar enough to notice its supposed to be dr. doom, different enough to evade the ban, give him "amnesia" (damaged memory bank or some shit) and all of dr. Doom's moves and mannerisms, his quotes and taunts make vague references to Doom without dropping his name or outright stating he's talking about doom. Just keep using "Decoy" as long as the F4 ban exists.

Then when the ban is lifted, just reveal Decoy was a damaged Doom Bot and have him replaced by the real deal.

A Life Model Decoy without obvious references to the character in design and personality could work. Add in Gwenpool and Experiment Honey Badger to stand in for Deadpool and Wolverine as well.

I think the Spider-Man game was a major coup for Sony.

It seems like Marvel has seen how well Batman has done in the hands of the right developer and budget.

PSqueak

Banned
I still find that ban weird. Marvel could make a Deadpool shooter right now, set in the comic book universe rather than Fox's X-Men stuff, and profit simply because Fox has done all the legwork for them. But they don't.

Here's the thing, Fox has done the leg work for Fox, let's say marvel makes a deadpool game and it sells millions, when Fox launches a new deadpool movie, the game would have done a great work to keep the character in people's minds and they'll flock to see the movie, ensuring that Fox's grip on the license tightens.

Marvel doesn't want that, they want the license back.

Neoxon

Except Thing and Johnny are still in there and active, but I get what you mean

Though I think we can hope to see F4 characters back earlier than Xmen, those will never return to licensed media if Marvel stands on this position
I have a feeling that the ban will be lifted if Marvel gets the Fantastic Four movie rights back.

Over the years, Sony lost the merchandising and TV rights to Spider-Man. I believe the merchandising rights were lost after Spider-Man 4 was cancelled and the movies were rebooted, which required more time to come out and TV rights were lost after Disney acquired Marvel, (which also killed Wolverine & the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man, two great series). Sony, however still made money from movie-tie in video games as the Sony e-mail leaks revealed one of the reasons Activision were glad to get out of the contract was because a sum of the profits also went to Sony and Activision weren't making enough to justify investing a lot in those movie games.

Sony STILL own the Spider-Man IP for movies, they are just letting him join the MCU now. Feige is helping them produce Homecoming, but Marvel Studios and Disney don't earn anything from Homecoming or future solo movies, besides from merchandising. It's possible that Spider-Man being exclusive to PlayStation was one of the bargaining chips from Disney/Marvel since Activision's contract was going to expire in 2014 and Disney aren't willing to publish their own games and rather license them out to others. It's also in Marvel's best interest that Spider-Man movies and even games do well because he's their most lucrative IP and the best selling superhero when it comes to merchandising in the world. But this is all speculation. What we know for now is that Marvel came to Sony and Sony agreed upon a licensing deal, similar to what Disney/LucasFilms did with Star Wars at EA. Sony probably went to Insomniac because of their pedigree as Sucker Punch were likely working on something already. Plus given its a licensing agreement, I'd imagine Sony would want their first party studios to work on IPs that are 100% theirs.

Glad its a new series and that its under good hands with Sony and Insomniac. Marvel's current stance is something I've been waiting to hear since for over 5 years now, but I guess it all depended on when the contracts would finally run out with Activsion. As for X-Men, I doubt we'll see anything. Marvel have been actively sabotaging X-Men and the Fantastic Four for years now and I doubt they'd go out of their way to get things running for them there. Iron Man, Hulk, The Avengers, Daredevil and The Punisher might be good pursuits right now from my perspective.

Best wishes.

xHiryu

A Captain America game that plays like MGS V-lite.

1xyjD.gif

J-Skee

Doctor Doom hasn't been featured on Ultimate Spider-Man in a long time. In fact, they've phased out all of the X-Men & Fantastic Four characters from the cartoons as of recently.

Well, those characters are still featured in the comics & Secret Wars was basically a love letter to Reed Richards & Doctor Doom, so I have hope that they will get over this pettiness.

The End

So with Marvel Ultimate Alliance supposedly coming to PS4/XBONE wouldn't the X-men/F4 ban stop it? Becuase Wolverine,Storm, Colussus, Iceman, the entire F4, and Doom are all in that game. So there might be a chance for an X-men game and F4 game possible.

It's not a ban.

Marvel just doesn't like promoting characters that they can't make as much money off of.

For existing games that are being rereleased there's basically zero risk anyway so they don't care

Neoxon

Reportedly the ban is enforced by Ike Perlmutter, who controls the merchandise and non-movie licensing.

A Life Model Decoy without obvious references to the character in design and personality could work. Add in Gwenpool and Experiment Honey Badger to stand in for Deadpool and Wolverine as well.
Gwenpool might be in a gray area since she's heavily based off of Deadpool, which may piss off the higher-ups at Marvel Entertainment.

Here's the thing, Fox has done the leg work for Fox, let's say marvel makes a deadpool game and it sells millions, when Fox launches a new deadpool movie, the game would have done a great work to keep the character in people's minds and they'll flock to see the movie, ensuring that Fox's grip on the license tightens.

Nailed it

It's not a ban.

Marvel just doesn't like promoting characters that they can't make as much money off of.

For existing games that are being rereleased there's basically zero risk anyway so they don't care
It is a ban, DeNA specifically said that they don't have access to the X-Men characters.

KingJ2002

Here is a thought:

Marvel begins the MGU, launches a few games, Spider-man, Guardians of the galaxy, Avengers, something to introduce the universe and a healthy number of both heroes, villians and support characters, they're all in the same universe and stuff, cameos, nods and interconnecting plots and all that, they set the universe.

Once the universe is set, boom! Marvel vs Capcom 4 with an actual story mode about the MGU clashing with the diverse capcom worlds!

That would be cool. they tried with X-Men vs. Street Fighter but to have a fully fleshed out story mode in some epic battle... that's a culmination from different titles... would be pretty cool... similar to how Akuma was introduced into the tekken universe.

GeeTeeCee

...I'm never getting a decent Deadpool game or another great X-Men one ever again, am I?

Ploid 3.0

I would love for marvel heroes to come to the consoles.

I don't understand what's taking them so long to port the darn thing. They are going to ruin their chances now that this new situation is starting up. They had a golden opportunity to be the only big Marvel game on consoles, and now it's fading away. A darn shame. They should have took a break from releasing characters every month, and adding events to put more work into the console ports if that's what they needed.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
M-rated Wolverine developed by Platinum. The good Platinum, not the TMNT one.

M-rated Deadpool game by Ninja Theory.

M-rated Punisher game by the dudes who made Spec-Ops: The Line.

Wolverine should go back to raven software. That was probably the best stand alone marvel games of its day, and should be in the conversation for one of the best licensed tie in games of all time. (It was much much better than the movie.)

Neoxon

Wolverine should go back to raven software. That was probably the best stand alone marvel games of its day, and should be in the conversation for one of the best licensed tie in games of all time. (It was much much better than the movie.)
But there's still the ban to consider. Also, what's Raven Software up to now? Are they still around?

Disney bailing out and licensing out their properties was clearly the best cast scenario if this news was anything to go by.

I think the Spider-Man game was a major coup for Sony.

It seems like Marvel has seen how well Batman has done in the hands of the right developer and budget.

Not only that, but Spiderman games have sold very well in the past. Marvel knows (or should know) their games will sell well if they're quality.

As far as the exclusivity is concerned, I think it is a special case that had to do with the movie negotiations. Obviously we have no proof, but I'd say it's not a bad assumption to make.

Some Nobody

Welp. Iron Man's gotta be on the short list. I know they can't all be open-world third person titles but...just let me have this one, please?

I don't care what you do with the rest, but don't waste Iron Man.

Top Bottom