• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Love it when the big Flynn comes in for a holla.

Love the trailer mate, you and BioWare have nailed it right here.

Went through trailer and screencapped relevant data out of it. Weapons, skills, hazard system...

This is where I would be using a like button for you, great info/post!

It didn't feel anything like that, not even slightly. Pop ME1 and play the game again sometime. It's had some horrendously janky levels/enemy set ups, ability and combat systems. I played the game for the first time only a few years ago and the whole game is incredibly poorly balanced. Even games like Kotor 1 which I played afterwards were better balanced despite being much older.
Well balance is sort of a different issue all together, it's not like adding jetpacks and dodging mechanics somehow makes balance more...balanced? That's kind of what I'm sayin here, although I will acknowledge that ME1 wasn't perfect by any means, but the series has obviously decided to go in a different direction that didn't fit with the original intended vision.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder if the MP Characters have static abilities like in ME3, or whether they are customizable like this SP video showed. The custom loadouts seem great for SP, but for MP, I am kind of hoping for the former, as I feel like custom MP classes would probably limit replayability as I would settle on the skills I like and not experiment with different combos that are forced on you with static characters/classes.

MP abilities were customisable in ME3 multi. They just had limited load outs. I imagine it's the same here as even singleplayer Shepard had access to far more abilities in a chosen spec than any individual multi character

fUDUZ43.png

Hahahaha you just reminded me of that lol, yeah, I forgot to add a point about ME1 not being terribly difficult either and have many gameplay breaking abilities.

All in all, if you took away the dodging, the jetpack and the absurb actiony melee attacks, I wouldn't think it looked so cheesy and would be genuinely interested. However, all that stuff just doesn't feel like it ever integrated well with the Mass Effect universe.

Fair enough! Different tastes and all that.

Do the current GPUs offer HDR?

Yes, these are the GPU that currently support HDR:

Nvidia
GeForce GTX 950
GeForce GTX 960
GeForce GTX 970
GeForce GTX 980
GeForce GTX 980 Ti
GeForce GTX Titan X
GeForce GTX 1050
GeForce GTX 1060
GeForce GTX 1070
GeForce GTX 1080
Titan X Pascal

AMD
Radeon R9 390X
Radeon RX 460
Radeon RX 470
Radeon RX 480

Gojeran

Hardest question for me will be which playstyle will be my first? Probably classic shotgun vanguard with pull and ammo powers. I love so many styles though. I can't imagine ever doing more of a hybrid. I figure I'll try to recreate the old classes and play then largely the same way. Lots of tech bursting or biotic explosions or AR headshots.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well balance is sort of a different issue all together, it's not like adding jetpacks and dodging mechanics somehow makes balance more...balanced? That's kind of what I'm sayin here, although I will acknowledge that ME1 wasn't perfect by any means, but the series has obviously decided to go in a different direction.

True but ME3 multi was extremely balanced far more than the base game even, there's entire systems that drastically improve your effectiveness that your probably not even aware of in single player. Literally tons and tons that were well thought out. ME1 had nothing of the sort and the mod system was a mess.

Kin5290

ME1 is the least strategic game in the series. Remember Immunity? You could literally activate it and just run up in melee and shoot things with your infinite heat sink sniper rifle point blank without any danger of going down.
The gunplay in ME1 was pretty bad, but I really dislike the introduction of thermal clips in ME2 and beyond. The first game had a very good, lore based reason for why the mass driver weapons didn't have limited "ammunition" in the traditional sense, and the following games did away with that with no explanation.

diaspora

The gunplay in ME1 was pretty bad, but I really dislike the introduction of thermal clips in ME2 and beyond. The first game had a very good, lore based reason for why the mass driver weapons didn't have limited "ammunition" in the traditional sense, and the following games did away with that with no explanation.

The explanation was that swapping heatsinks was faster than waiting for it to cool down.

MP abilities were customisable in ME3 multi. They just had limited load outs. I imagine it's the same here as even singleplayer Shepard had access to far more abilities in a chosen spec than any individual multi character

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but for example, the Krogan Vanguard had three set skills, you could upgrade those skills however you liked, and invest your 20 level points in the chosen skills, but you couldn't choose skills. I hope it's the same here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The explanation was it makes for better gunplay. And thats all the explanation youll get.

Sober

Just mentioning again from the other thread but:

Looks like it's classless but the profile thing they mentioned look like something else that gives boosts more like the traditional 6 ME classes. From the video it almost looks like the Amalur Class profiles which awarded you for spending skill points a certain way to unlock "Classes" that gave you additional boosts.

I like it.

This is what the combat in the previous Mass Effect series should have been. Not that it was bad, but this just puts it in a whole other scale. Phenomenal video. The best out of all the video's released.

Only 32 days left before we can play this. Goes by faster than I thought.

Kin5290

The explanation was that swapping heatsinks was faster than waiting for it to cool down.
Which is dumb, because in game it took only seconds for most weapons to cool down, and firing in bursts largely removed that problem. A ME1 gun could fire after a few seconds of cooldown. A ME2 gun without thermal clips wouldn't be able to fire at all.

That said, this combat looks pretty interesting. The mobility tools are a nice touch, although I imagine they'll be hell to use on PC.

I'm in the camp that thinks the thermal clip route led to much better gameplay but I do agree the lore justification isn't entirely on the level. It was a weak justification I'd almost been fine with them just doing without. I don't have too much of an issue with bending lore to suit gameplay when needed.

But hey, looks like they're allowing both routes in this one so people who hate the thermal clip system get to have their cake too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but for example, the Krogan Vanguard had three set skills, you could upgrade those skills however you liked, and invest your 20 level points in the chosen skills, but you couldn't choose skills. I hope it's the same here.

That's what I mean by load out as in you could invest how you want in those limit number of skills and yeah I hope it's the same. I mean like said even in ME3 Shepard had access to waaaay more skills than a Multiplayer character so I do hope it's the same here.

diaspora

Which is dumb, because in game it took only seconds for most weapons to cool down, and firing in bursts largely removed that problem. A ME1 gun could fire after a few seconds of cooldown. A ME2 gun without thermal clips wouldn't be able to fire at all.

I don't really care either way since it improved the gameplay, but there was an explanation whether or not you liked it.

This is what the combat in the previous Mass Effect series should have been. Not that it was bad, but this just puts it in a whole other scale. Phenomenal video. The best out of all the video's released.

Only 32 days left before we can play this. Goes by faster than I thought.

less than that :)

Top Bottom