• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

Slixshot

Banned
Personally, that fell flat. I didn't like a single ounce o dialogue. Not the writing. Not the voice acting. Fingers crossed they didn't fuck up one of my favorite series.

Lothars

People don't have to give reasons for why they "hate" (or, as is often the case, don't love unconditionally) something in just the same way people don't need to give reasons why they love something.
They don't but it's pretty self explanatory when it's the same people in every thread shitting on it.

UncleMeat

Except for milquetoast MaleRyder, this was a pretty cool shot of the squad

badasszdufj.jpg

seriously, maleryder is so dumb to look at.

That dude looks like Tubbs from Miami Vice!

latest

CrayToes

This looks so....bland? I adore Mass Effect so why am I not more excited? The voice acting and writing seem really poor.

Still don't like the facial modeling or really any of the character designs so far. Don't like the seeming trend to a young squad and a more youthful vibe instead of the dark grizzled personalities of the original trilogy. Don't really think the story seems like anything to write home about.

Please make the gameplay good.

Plum

They don't but it's pretty self explanatory when it's the same people in every thread shitting on it.

People's opinions being unchanged over various threads on this game isn't an example of malice or "hating something for no reason." I don't care enough to check but I'm pretty sure the same people hyped in this thread are hyped in every other ME:A thread, which is perfectly fine, but why aren't they being accused of having unsupported opinions and/or ulterior motives as well?

I have to say I really don't like the voices and faces of the characters. Based on the brief material they've shown, they just seem to lack the personality that characters like Mordin, Thane, Garrus, Wrex, Kasumi, and Zaeed had. Hopefully, they feel better in the game than in the trailers.

agreed

BFIB

Do I need to play ME3 prior to this? I played the first two, but all the negative things surrounding ME3, I never played that one.

Isn't it Cassie Cage?
xzdqzf3UGs0.jpg

I'm gonna punch the person who said it was Kate Gosselin. I can't get that out of my head now...

Ughh... its the same problem I had with Inquisition where so many characters, females in particular, had shaved heads or really short haircuts. And hey, nothing wrong with that! It's just that it feels like BioWare had to toss so many of those buzzcuts or half shaved hairstyles in there since they cannot make longer hair or even semi-longer hair look decent in Frostbite.

I think Morrigan was about the only female in Inquisition with sort of longer hair and even then it was done up and the hair that was loose would really terribly clip through her face at times. It's like BioWare can't get Frostbite to do hair physics right or something.

killroy87

"I don't need an army, I've got a Krogan"

Ugh, be less subtle if you're going to rip off Marvel quotes.

Otherwise, game looks good. Animations are still pretty brutal though.

Ralemont

not me
We see him say "Surrender... or burn" in literally his only line of dialogue in the trailer. He's also a single person, not a race, and none of the friendlier races share his look, hence why I don't exactly see him as being part of a native species and more of an "ancient evil" than anything else. If the main quest were about complex diplomancy that could potentially lead to war, and the Archon was just someone you could piss off, why would that single thread of the potential story be the main part of the trailer? There's nothing in there to show that he's any different from other big evil bad guys who want to stop you for some reason.

Oh, so all those ships around his main ship were flying themselves?

I'm not saying the Archon can potentially be a friend and ally; he's certainly the main antagonist. I'm saying that has nothing to do with whether diplomacy and such is a big part of the game in addition to that.

Going by what we know, I think the Archon's the leader of the Kett, who have been identified as a native race hostile to the Arks that you have to fight on planets. The only "ancient" stuff we've heard about is the Remnant technology. Anyway, that one race is hostile to you, at least for the majority of the game, no matter what doesn't mean the game suddenly is about an ancient evil.

People don't have to give reasons for why they "hate" (or, as is often the case, don't love unconditionally) something in just the same way people don't need to give reasons why they love something.

People are free to post their hate (obviously, as this is NeoGAF a place infamous for just that) but when it comes without any solid support it comes across very weird. For example some dude in this thread said that the trailer looked like Inquisition in space. What the fuck does that even mean when you're looking at an entirely cutscene- based trailer?

Do I need to play ME3 prior to this? I played the first two, but all the negative things surrounding ME3, I never played that one.

Nope.

Completely different galaxy, completely different characters, completely different threat, completely different goals.

Finally, this is the kind of trailer for Mass Effect that I've been waiting for. This gets me hyped like the ME 1-3 trailers did.

Wow, can't wait, looks outstanding. I was sure that at this point more of the marketing would focus on female Ryder, surprised to see male Ryder in the trailer.

THAT'S the kind of trailer I was waiting for! Finally I can get hyped for this game =D

Still waiting on reviews before I buy, just in case, but that looked exactly like a new Mass Effect should look imo. And hell yes, female Turian squad mate!

That dialogue is really awful. Sounds like stuff you'd hear in a teen summer movie

Did you not play Mass Effect 1-3? =P Besides, their trailers always lay on the cheese. Fully expecting more interesting and emotional dialogue with (alien) squad mates.

Stormy

Not sure what other folks are seeing, but this all looks really good to me. Voices sound good, game looks amazing to me, can't wait to jump in on this.

Garlador

Ughh... its the same problem I had with Inquisition where so many characters, females in particular, had shaved heads or really short haircuts. And hey, nothing wrong with that! It's just that it feels like BioWare had to toss so many of those buzzcuts or half shaved hairstyles in there since they cannot make longer hair or even semi-longer hair look decent in Frostbite.

I think Morrigan was about the only female in Inquisition with sort of longer hair and even then it was done up and the hair that was loose would really terribly clip through her face at times. It's like BioWare can't get Frostbite to do hair physics right or something.

Well, to be fair, very few women in the original trilogy had long hair to begin with. Ashley started off with a bun, while Jack was totally shaved at the start. Miranda probably had "the best" hair, but it was almost entirely static, like plastic lego hair snapped into place that had no weight or movement.

We'll see. I don't mind shorter hair-styles, and we're kidding ourselves if we think the original Trilogy didn't have a ton of them. I'm sure they'll get some longer ones up and running too.

Hmm, I'm kinda feeling the human teammates for once. Especially the black dude. Although funny enough, I was always down on the jarheads, now all I can think about is: How the fuck is this dude in the military with his hair ...

Anyway, much better trailer than the first one, but the real marketing MVPs have been the guys who make the Andromeda Initiative videos.

Now all I want is a long and detailed gameplay video showing a whole side mission.

0 excitement for this game.

The trilogy had me hyped for months up to release.

Hopefully this was just a poor trailer and the gameplay wins me over.

Nielm

Looks okay, but the villain seems dumb and edgy/cheesy.

I still stand by my point that the characters seem generic. They seem like the alternate versions you get of Wrex/Mordin etc, or worse. None of them really stand out to me.

Ashtar

Came in ready to be disappointed, left satisfied with my level of disappointment, Bioware might need a new new pr team because right now they look funny in the light

Still day one, though I'm mad that I can't have the birth of jahnessa and maalik Ryder stuck with boring Sarah and Scott

Lt-47

Hmm, I'm kinda feeling the human teammates for once. Especially the black dude. Although funny enough, I was always down on the jarheads, now all I can think about is: How the fuck is this dude in the military with his hair ...

Anyway, much better trailer than the first one, but the real marketing MVPs have been the guys who make the Andromeda Initiative videos.

Now all I want is a long and detailed gameplay video showing a whole side mission.

He's not in the military. Still i wouldn't want to try to fit that much hair in a helmlet

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Some of you guys are really hard to please, almost to the point where you've already decided you were gonna hate the game before the first trailer showed up.

Plum

Oh, so all those ships around his main ship were flying themselves?

I'm not saying the Archon can potentially be a friend and ally; he's certainly the main antagonist. I'm saying that has nothing to do with whether diplomacy and such is a big part of the game in addition to that.

Going by what we know, I think the Archon's the leader of the Kett, who have been identified as a native race hostile to the Arks that you have to fight on planets. The only "ancient" stuff we've heard about is the Remnant technology. Anyway, that one race is hostile to you, at least for the majority of the game, no matter what doesn't mean the game suddenly is about an ancient evil.

Of course he's not literally one guy, but Archon is the focus of this trailer so he's quite clearly the "final boss" of this game, and I'd bet a decent amount of money that the main quest is all about going to defeat him.

And it doesn't matter whether he's ancient or not, what matters is that the main story is about fighting an "x" who is, by default, hostile to you; that's what my issue is, he might as well be a generic ancient evil because that's shaping up to be his entire role in the story. The game's premise does not need an overarching villain, which is why I'm so disappointed that that's what they went with no matter the specifics or the 'reason' behind him wanting to destroy the Arcs.

People are free to post their hate (obviously, as this is NeoGAF a place infamous for just that) but when it comes without any solid support it comes across very weird. For example some dude in this thread said that the trailer looked like Inquisition in space. What the fuck does that even mean when you're looking at an entirely cutscene- based trailer?

The word "hate" is too strong for this, it implies malice instead of the simple dislike or, more likely, lack of hype most of the people "hating" on the game here hold.

As for the Inquisition in space example, I'm pretty sure that was referring to the idea that a game supposedly about political intrigue and diplomacy is actually about just fighting off some no-nonsense 'evil.' It might also mean that they thought DA:I was disappointing and that this doesn't change it.

And again, why does dislike have to come with a solid, evidence-backed foundation when hype does not? They're both just opinions on an upcoming video game, not liking said upcoming video game shouldn't be controversial enough to justify the burden of proof.

MartyStu

Jesus, Bioware is still doing a very underwhelming job getting me excited for this.

Nothing here seems particularly interesting. Not saying this will be poor, just that Bioware has not released anything to make me believe this will be a noteworthy game.

Except for the the Human Squaddies' designs. Both of them look really good.

splattered

Went to the website cause I saw something about a special Nomad skin on ME.com, but i'm not seeing it anywhere?

Signed up for the Andromeda Initiative and i'm watching a series of videos to unlock a special Helmet, but still don't see the Nomad skin anywhere?

Top Bottom