• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Shooting in Toronto Yesterday

Spheyr

Banned
The Second Amendment doesn't grant us the right. Our creator does. The Second Amendment merely affirms and protects that universal human right. You have that right as well, if you only stand up and demand it.

cryptoadam

Banned
The Second Amendment doesn't grant us the right. Our creator does. The Second Amendment merely affirms and protects that universal human right. You have that right as well, if you only stand up and demand it.

Nah I'm fine I don't feel the need for a gun. I live in a safe city and have never seen a real gun in my life. All though I think your interpretation that god gave us a right to bear arms is a bit far fetched for me.

You do you and I will do me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah I'm fine I don't feel the need for a gun. I live in a safe city and have never seen a real gun in my life. All though I think your interpretation that god gave us a right to bear arms is a bit far fetched for me.

You do you and I will do me.

No, God did not grant us the right to bare arms, he/she/it granted us the right to protection (which is a natural innate trait all the animalae possess).

That is what people mean when they mention that along with the 2A. The 2A just allows you to have an equalizer if ever faced with that threat.

Spheyr

Banned
My God is John Moses Browning and he granted me the right to a 1911, are you not following along? See page 2.

mustardman

Banned
This is not a Canadian gun rights thread, stop trying to place your American values onto Canadians.

I'm from one of the more rural provinces with a sizeable hunter population, and the appetite for American 2nd amendment style free for all is not the same. The vast majority of hunters I know, nevermind the general population are typically in support of elaborate gun control as long as there is access to hunting rifles for sport.

Most of the western world outside of America understands that "a car is not a fast horse", and that having the ability to mow down 50+ people in a short amount of time is not the same as a hunting style rifle and Canada is included in that.

There have been 109 shootings in the city since May, including last Sunday's deadly attack on Danforth Avenue, when a gunman opened fire on strangers, killing two and injuring 13 others.

"We have had an escalating issue with gun violence in this city," city councillor Joe Cressy told the BBC.

A day after the attack, Mr Cressy tabled a motion to ask the federal and provincial governments to ban handgun and ammunition sales, respectively, within city limits.

"In jurisdictions around the world where you have fewer guns you have a lower rate of gun violence," Cressy says.

"In a city like Toronto, I can't understand why anyone would need a gun unless you're law enforcement."

Cressy's motion passed 41-4. Council also voted in favour of additional police officers and surveillance capabilities, and to study best policies and practices for reducing gun violence.

_102650326_chart-toronto_shooting-hscjj-nc.png

There's more interesting stuff in that article (below).

All the stats and charts and graphs add up to one thing: with more guns, there is more gun violence.

_102728774_chart-gun_comp-38lnz-nc.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44959010

Also:

Canada also requires training, a personal risk assessment, two references, spousal notification and criminal record checks.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faisal...e-new-details-emerge-about-gunman-2018-07-24/

But the debate sounds very different there than it does in the U.S. There’s no Second Amendment in Canada, and the Supreme Court has explicitly saidthat nobody in the country has a right to bear arms—instead, it’s a privilege granted only to those who make it through an intense screening process. Canadians also don’t have a gun lobby as politically powerful as the National Rifle Association. In fact, it’s entirely possible to live in Canada for years without ever hearing of the country’s smaller, grassroots gun-lobby groups.

About 2 million Canadians own guns, out of a total population of 30 million. Handguns are usually obtained either through legal purchase or through illegal smuggling from the U.S. (Authorities have not yet announced publicly whether the Toronto shooting suspect legally obtained the handgun he used in the attack.) “Our problem is, because we share a border with you,” Cukier said, referring to the U.S., “even if we ban handguns, we would still have a problem with smuggled guns.” A ban on guns only impacts the legal stream; the illegal steam can continue unabated.

Woah, Canadians throwing shade at US.

“The president of the NRA comes up here once in a while to provide advice and encouragement to the Canadian gun lobby, and there are formal relationships between some of the lobby groups and the NRA,” Cukier said. “What is very profound is the impact of the rhetoric and the strategies, which you can almost cut and paste from the U.S. You find many Canadian gun owners now talking about their rights to own guns in Canada, but there are none! And we see constant, constant, constant rhetoric about our need for self-protection.”

When the same talking points don't translate outside of your own worldview.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol open carry and he would be dead. Yeah what a great solution. Terrorists can attack anytime anywhere and open carry isnt a solution.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
And with less guns, there's violence with other tools.
Yeah and its alot harder to commit mass murder with a knife.

"Oh but they will just kill people with other stuff guys!!"

Yeah no shit, but very few things are as easily attained, wielded, and abused as a gun, but I know you well enough at this point that you won't acknowledge that fact. You will just come up with some excuse or some meme so that you can dodge that particular reality and continue on your "Muh guns" line of thinking as you usually do.

Last edited:

Spheyr

Banned
Yes, every time you say something stupid I will simply counter it with the reality that is violence has nothing to do with the tool being used, but the person using it.

Nobody_Important

Yes, every time you say something stupid I will simply counter it with the reality that is violence has nothing to do with the tool being used, but the person using it.

--------------------------------------------> The Point

*Your Head*

(Yet again)

Last edited:

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
I haven't read the bible in a while but could you point me to the part where it says "Then god said let there be guns and it was good"?

Regardless, tone down the trolling please.

Panda1

Banned
You can just admit you're wrong

You have to have some intelligence to understand your limitations and know when you are wrong. When he gets to high school he will learn some more about the use of language and then will be able to handle different ideas. Until then you are wasting your time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Lol, what.

As a Swede I don't have the right to walk around with murder tools, and I'm very happy about that. Hmm, when was our last mass shooting again...

Spheyr

Banned
Lol, what.

As a Swede I don't have the right to walk around with murder tools, and I'm very happy about that. Hmm, when was our last mass shooting again...
In the 306 confirmed shooting incidents during 2017 there were 41 deaths and 135 instances of injury. July had by far the highest number of injuries from shootings – 25 compared to the next highest which was 16 in both September and October.
https://www.thelocal.se/20171222/in-figures-2017s-shootings-in-sweden

Nobody_Important

Lol, what.

Don't engage him. You will not get an honest argument out of him. Look at page 1 and 2 of the thread and how he responded to my points. He even got a mod warning for his behavior. He has no interest in a genuine discussion on this topic.

Nobody_Important

1. I said mass shootings. You know, the kind America has every other day.
2. The shootings we do have in Sweden suck, but they are pretty much exclusively between criminal gangs shooting at each other. Someone just opening fire into a crowd of innocents (you know, like what happens in America every other day) is not a thing here.

He knows exactly what you asked for. He just knows that you are in the right here and Sweden has not had any mass shootings that fit his narrative. He will now either ignore your point entirely and walk away, use a meme or a joke in an attempt to dismiss your argument, or will deflect to some other meaningless point that has nothing to do with what you guys were talking about in an attempt to change the subject.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Lol, what.

That is how our bill of rights work. We are given rights. They are our naturally. It's an important event of our laws.

Things work differently in Sweden which is fine, but we aren't talking about Sweden, are we?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That is how our bill of rights work. We are given rights. They are our naturally. It's an important event of our laws.

Things work differently in Sweden which is fine, but we aren't talking about Sweden, are we?

We also have rights. But when some right is deemed damaging, we change that law to improve our society. That's how societies evolve and improve.

I feel like this story got way too much exposure.

Must have been a slow news week.

You can tell by how it got buried once the city council cut story broke out.

oagboghi2

We also have rights. But when some right is deemed damaging, we change that law to improve our society. That's how societies evolve and improve.
Americans have a different idea of what an "improved society" is. Criminalizing all citizens and taking away a right becuase a small amount of people commit a crime is not a popular idea in America.

Wow, different cultures view ideas differently. What a shock.

cryptoadam

Banned
I feel like this story got way too much exposure.

Must have been a slow news week.

You can tell by how it got buried once the city council cut story broke out.

???

A man goes on a killing spree in the middle of a city and it got too much exposure?

Are you American? Because in Canada mass shootings aren't really a thing and when they happen its a big deal.

The fact that its getting buried I think is more along the lines that the media wants this story to go away. He was mentally ill and thats it don't ask any more question.

And ignore all the gun talk in this thread, for Canadians the guns are not an issue. The fact that he got it illegally from the states is a problem and we need to secure our borders against illegal guns, but this isn't like American school shootings where the entire discussion is dominated by pro/anti gun rights people.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There are way too many guns in the US for them to just vanish. Easy to obtain, easy to sell to people illegally. P sure its how this shooting took place in the first place.

Top Bottom