• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayoiga “The Lost Village” (TV/Anime) |OT| This is not the Disney we asked for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd360

ReZero and Twin Star Exorcist are both pretty good.

I've been listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuH10m7fkoI and they didn't have much good to say about ReZero. I just watched some and it seems ok. I should probably watch some more. Twin star looked really generic from the promotional art I've seen of it so I haven't checked that out yet. I haven't seen anyone give it a recommendation yet other than you.

Mayoiga has great potential as a comedy. They're also obviously (and hopefully) going to die one by one. No other reason to have such a huge cast! That will be fun.
Except Lovepon and Hyouketsu-kun, those two have to survive until the end, because they are the best.

Crackpot theory: Rapper dude could have been killed by the bear or whatever else is out there. But what if he was killed by Masaki and her story was really a lie?

Here's a list of the good stuff (imho):

Re:Zero: boy transported into fantasy world... with an interesting twist. It also has some very good dialogue, character interactions and action. The first episode is double length and a bit slow, but the second half should have your interest and so far it's only been getting better!
Kagewani S2: 8 minute anime, so the first season should take you about 2 hours. Its an excellent creepy/horror/atmospheric anime.
Kiznaiver: I'm still not exactly sure where it's going, but so far it's been a great ride, it's full of energy. It's about a group of people who get 'connected by their wounds'.
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: If you liked Attack on Titan, you may want to check this out. And if not, you may still end up liking it. It's basically Attack on Titan in a victorian steampunk setting with zombies and trains. It's also pretty stunning visually.
Bunguo Stray Dogs: It's about a group of people with supernatural abilities, the Armed Detective Company, who have to solve supernatural crimes. Has a nice mix of comedy and seriousness. I personally didn't like episode 1 all that much but found 2 and 3 very great, but it was the opposite for others so ymmv with this one.

And then of course there's also always JoJo, with part 4 airing right now (and it's great). You could in theory watch it on its own, but I'd advise going through the other parts. They are all pretty good on their own, and it's just cool seing both the artstyle, storytelling and powers evolve.

I watched the first two episodes of kiznaiver. I'm not sure if I like it. The shared pain thing seems kinda boring. I had big expectations since trigger is making it and it seemed like it was getting the most pre-season hype. I have never watched JoJo. I'm not sure if its for me. Seems really over the top. People really seem to love it though. I might check out the iron fortress show tomorrow.

Cornbread78

I've been listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuH10m7fkoI and they didn't have much good to say about ReZero. I just watched some and it seems ok. I should probably watch some more. Twin star looked really generic from the promotional art I've seen of it so I haven't checked that out yet. I haven't seen anyone give it a recommendation yet other than you.

I watched the first two episodes of kiznaiver. I'm not sure if I like it. The shared pain thing seems kinda boring. I had big expectations since trigger is making it and it seemed like it was getting the most pre-season hype. I have never watched JoJo. I'm not sure if its for me. Seems really over the top. People really seem to love it though. I might check out the iron fortress show tomorrow.

Ouch on Twin Star, lol. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it is pretty entertaining so far.

Kabaneri has been really good through the first two episodes.

I support mister Bread on the twin star recommendations! it's not reinventing the wheel but it's pretty good at what it's doing. (annoying mascot add-on aside)

Cornbread78

Well, if you two say it's good I'll give it a go.

Good deal, it might be worth your time. It will also be 4 cours, so it will be around for a long time!

---------------''---

So any guesses on who does tonight? We need to get a death pool going!

Ascheroth

Kiznaiver is pretty polarizing. If you haven't liked it after the first episode, it's probably not for you.
Twin Star Exorcists is okay. It has some very cool creature design and visuals in Magano and a fun premise. Just don't expect it to reinvent the wheel.

I've watched the part about Re:Zero from your link and they have some good points (like the beginning is reallllly slow and mostly 'generic') but it really feels mostly prejudiced and they apparently went in with wrong expectations. It's not a Konosuba-style comedy and it doesn't try to be. It's also not even a freaking gameworld (why the fuck do they compare this to SAO).
It's also not a mystery in the greater sense, although it does have mystery elements in it.
If you haven't watched the entire first episode, do so. The second and third also get progressively better, where the third episode has some really good action scenes (and lots of them).

So any guesses on who does tonight? We need to get a death pool going!

I don't care as long as it isn't Lovepon and Hyouketsu-kun.

Ascheroth

Realistically speaking, it's going to be one of the least excentric characters with not much screentime.

It's not going to be Jack, Valkana, Koharun, Mitsumune, Masaki, Lion, Lovepon, Hyouketsu-kun, Jigoku no Gyouka or Nyanta.
It's going to be one of those I don't even remember. Maimai is the only wildcard, I think. She has presence in the show and she's warming up to MC-kun, which alone could be reason for her to die. ...Although I think that's going to be in somewhere in the middle. Bonus points if they get into a situaton where MC-kun has to choose between her and Masaki and the other one dies.

So yeah, it's going to be one of the useless filler folks.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mayoiga ep.3
Lovepon is the best for all the right and wrong reason.
Man, not a single decent person here. And Hayato/speedstar is just split personality or ghost, right?

Cornbread78

Oh my. I guess things are really getting started now, damn. We have giants and dead baby ghosts and so e enormous beast going after that group. It's so crazy it's almost amazing, lol.

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 4:
Mitsumune is getting annoying. Hope he dies (doubt it).

Giamt mitsumune, dead daughter, they might be having illusions.

todd360

Oh my. I guess things are really getting started now, damn. We have giants and dead baby ghosts and so e enormous beast going after that group. It's so crazy it's almost amazing, lol.

This episode made me excited to see more. Maybe this show will be good after all?

this show is dumb as shit but i need to know how dumb it gets

Its going to get so dumb. Its exciting how much dumb potential it has. We will end this thread asking each other why we even bothered watching this show.

Ascheroth

This was actualy legit tense and exciting towards the end. I'm also thinking illusions or something, considering everyone is seeing (and maybe even hearing) different things? Rememer Maimai said it sounded like a person to her, and then she saw a giant Mitsumune. And Busdriver saw his dead daughter, which could mean that it has something to do with love/affection. But who am I kidding, it's going to be something really dumb, lol.
The incompetence of everyone is so glorious.

Anyway, Hyouketsu-kun better not be dead!

Cornbread78

This episode made me excited to see more. Maybe this show will be good after all?

Its going to get so dumb. Its exciting how much dumb potential it has. We will end this thread asking each other why we even bothered watching this show.

Probably a lot of truth to this, but the "amazing" possibility is still there, lol.

Because either way, this is so eccentric it's entertaining as hell, lol.

Qurupeke

pirknjn.jpg

Every episode is 100% fun. I can't wait for the next episode.

Razmos

Very much disliked the first 3 episodes, the characters are awful and the writing is shit tier.

I'm curious where it's going to go though

Ascheroth

Of course they're awful. Just think of the premise of the show.
Because they're the only ones who would agree to something this stupid. No seriously, it's like someone PMing you on NeoGAF saying you passed a test and are 1 of the chosen 30 to go live in the middle of fucking nowhere with people you've never met. Only complete idiots or creeps with nothing to lose would go for it.

Cornbread78

Lol, what is up with all the craziness today? Lovepon is a certified execution/torture nutjob and tries to kill our MC moron, then a giant penguin animal thing lol, just lol..

What is this mystery, lol.

Dahbomb

This show would've been a lot better if just about every character wasn't a walking one dimensional cliche.

You can describe each character in one line.

Cat girl
Execution crazy girl
Survival guy
Pirate cosplay guy
Fat guy
Sexy girl
Too smart guy
Tsundere girl
Token young protagonist guy
Sick guy

I guess this is likely to happen when you have thirty characters to move through but man they could've put more effort into it.

Cornbread78

This show would've been a lot better if just about every character wasn't a walking one dimensional cliche.

Cat girl
Execution crazy girl
Survival guy
Pirate cosplay guy
Fat guy
Sexy girl
Too smart guy
Tsundere girl
Sick guy

I guess this is likely to happen when you have thirty characters to move through but man they could've put more effort into it.

Well yeah and it's best when they are all screaming over each other like idiots, lol.

This really is an anime Lost/ Real World crossover.

Ascheroth

Cat girl
Execution crazy girl
Survival guy
Pirate cosplay guy
Fat guy
Sexy girl
Too smart guy
Tsundere girl
Sick guy

But execution crazy girl is also torture crazy girl! And cat girl also weapons freak girl! There's so much depth to them!

I'm dying. This is the best.
Ketsu-kun keeps delivering even if he isn't on screen, Lovepon levelled up and learned Torture-obsession.
Glasses guy is also moving up my list. He's a walking conflict escalator. He doesn't do anything but being walking distrusting piece of stupidity who thinks he owns the place. So good.
He even assembled the nutcase squad, who then immediately kidnap McGullible.
And then Masaki proceeds to save him, by lighting something on fire.
Strengthens my belief that she was actually the one who offed Yottsun.

And then we have another giant thing appearing. The penguin is from Mitsumunes ep1 flashback, but is its right side also from him is it mixing with whatever Masaki would see?

And no one bats an eye at Lovepons antics, not even Glasses guy has her on his list of suspicious persons. The best.

Cornbread78

But execution crazy girl is also torture crazy girl! And cat girl also weapons freak girl! There's so much depth to them!

And then we have another giant thing appearing. The penguin is from Mitsumunes ep1 flashback, but is its right side also from him is it mixing with whatever Masaki would see?

And no one bats an eye at Lovepons antics, not even Glasses guy has her on his list of suspicious persons. The best.

There definitely has to be a connection at this point, especially with Speedstar finally pointing out how everyone sees and hears different things. Alternate dream world stuff maybe, but it's just weird either way, lol. I can't make out the connection, lol.

Ascheroth

There definitely has to be a connection at this point, especially with Speedstar finally pointing out how everyone sees and hears different things. Alternate dream world stuff maybe, but it's just weird either way, lol. I can't make out the connection, lol.

I'm still thinking it's either an illusion or a creature that looks and sounds different to everyone.
I'm mainly curious if Mitsumune sees the penguin and Masaki something else entirely or if both see the same thing but it's a combination of what they would see individually. (Like how the right side of the penguin looks like a human face with hair).
We don't really know what the others beside Maimai saw in the tunnel last episode (or if they even saw anything at all), which would make it clear.
I'm leaning towards the former though.

Pizoxuat

Everyone's total non-reaction to Lovepon's wildly escalating madness and murder demands is the funniest thing in the show. Oh, we're going to confine Jack for ripping Judgeness's shirt with a broom handle, but we'll let the torture and murder enthusiast who admitted in front of the group that she's already been halted in one murder attempt just do whatever she pleases.

It's gonna feel so good when glasses kid eats it.

Cornbread78

Everyone's total non-reaction to Lovepon's wildly escalating madness and murder demands is the funniest thing in the show. Oh, we're going to confine Jack for ripping Judgeness's shirt with a broom handle, but we'll let the torture and murder enthusiast who admitted in front of the group that she's already been halted in one murder attempt just do whatever she pleases.

Lovepon is the one that needs to be tortured for being such a psychotic nutjob. Of course, she's suspicious of the useless and gullible MC...

Ascheroth

It's so good.
I'll be dissapointed if she doesn't stay around until the end.

kewlmyc

How do you faint from getting hit by a bb gun in the chest?

Fuck it, I don't know why I'm questioning things in a show where a giant penguin doll showed up as a cliffhanger.

Cornbread78

This show is so freaking dumb I question why I continue to watch.

See below for your answer. It's 75% stupidity/craziness and 25% mystery/intrigue. It just keeps you coming back for more, lol.

How do you faint from getting hit by a bb gun in the chest?

Fuck it, I don't know why I'm questioning things in a show where a giant penguin doll showed up as a cliffhanger.

But it is stuff that dreams are made of!

This show is so moronic I'm having trouble even putting it into words. If your show is bad but really entertaining then is it really bad
This is like the anime version of the room but I think the room guys weren't Trying to make nonsensical garbage

Lol the show is so stupid i can't help but watch it. After lasts weeks episode I figured it would be kicking into high gear but they get back to the village and just kinda sweep it under the rug!

And then the lion bit where she says something like "I see people who are going to die". Well no fucking SHIT!!!! Everyone is going to die eventually captain obvious! Fucking hell it took them this long to even touch on the "we all heard different noises" bit.

God i cannot wait to see how they manage to handwave the giant penguin thing next week.

Ascheroth

there are so many fucking characters not even the characters themselves can be assed to remember or care

I mean would you immediately remember the names of 30 random ass people you met a day ago.

This show is so moronic I'm having trouble even putting it into words. If your show is bad but really entertaining then is it really bad
This is like the anime version of the room but I think the room guys weren't Trying to make nonsensical garbage

Considering this great mix of stupidity, ridiculousness and legit mystery that coalesces into lots of fun seems to be deliberate, I'd say it's a good show!

I absolutely refuse to believe this anime isn't doing all this shit on purpose. There is no way that the writing is this unaware.

Cornbread78

I absolutely refuse to believe this anime isn't doing all this shit on purpose. There is no way that the writing is this unaware.

Yeah, Okada knows what she's writing. Mix that in with the Blood-C/Another director and this is what you get, lol.

I doubt there will be any Ok a "feels" in this series though.

Cornbread78

I see crazy people all over the place with crazy backstories. I guess we are finally starting to get into the "mystery" of the story next week... Poor MC is falling for a ghost lol

todd360

I see crazy people all over the place with crazy backstories. I guess we are finally starting to get into the "mystery" of the story next week... Poor MC is falling for a ghost lol

Lovepon's love for executions wasn't really explained. Like I can understand her desire to have that one guy killed, but it seemed to turn into fuck it lets just kill everyone I don't like.

Cornbread78

Lovepon's love for executions wasn't really explained. Like I can understand her desire to have that one guy killed, but it seemed to turn into fuck it lets just kill everyone I don't like.

Well, she wanted to kill him so bad it just spread to a "fuck the world/kill 'em all" attitude.

Cornbread78

Escalation escalation, lol. Obviously, she not a ghost, so, what the hell is going on? Lovepon is pure love, so much sutra love it makes her vomit, lol.

I can't help but think that if they really slimmed down the roster and only focused on a few, this could have been much better, but as a crazy, dark, comedy, it's doing its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom