• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

d+pad

iidesuyo said:
It's just funny how the DS was once the saviour of gaming, the handheld that would bring innovation.

Now everyone is like "where's Brain Training 3!! where's NSMB 2!! where are the new coulors, where is the next revision!!!"

The whole spirit of innovation is lost. Asking for the next Brain Training is like asking for the next Tekken or Gran Turismo.

i don't think everyone here is saying that - some of us could give two shits if the ds beats the psp or the other way around, as long as good games come out for both of them.

also, you can have both, you know - innovative games and cash-in sequels. actually, that's exactly what brought the ds to where it is now, isn't it?

Jammy

Banned
iidesuyo said:
It's just funny how the DS was once the saviour of gaming, the handheld that would bring innovation.

Now everyone is like "where's Brain Training 3!! where's NSMB 2!! where are the new coulors, where is the next revision!!!"

The whole spirit of innovation is lost. Asking for the next Brain Training is like asking for the next Tekken or Gran Turismo.

The DS has proved enough in its short-ish lifespan already. Now we just want to see it break 100 million.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Freaking nice the Ps3 keeping the dream alive! 40k is not bad but I thought that I would have been more considering the Devil May Cry 4 bundle and all.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DeaconKnowledge said:
It is the top selling hardware of all time. But apparently it's a failure now.

The whole point of Blue Ocean is for everyone to have one but now it doesn't look like everyone in Japan will get one. In about 130 years, everyone might have a PSP though. And on that day, a little piece of me will die inside.

D.Lo

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yup.
Top 50:
NDS - 24
WII - 9
PS2 - 7
PS3 - 5
PSP - 4
360 - 1
Saying the PSP beat the DS this week is like saying Pyrrhus beat the Romans.

Chrono

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

So it already outsold all past Nintendo handhelds? What about the NES or the first Playstation? Was PS2 the best selling console of all time in japan before the DS topped it...? o_O

AlternativeUlster

Chrono said:
So it already outsold all past Nintendo handhelds? What about the NES or the first Playstation? Was PS2 the best selling console of all time in japan before the DS topped it...? o_O

Well, if you add up all the different GameBoys, maybe not. I don't even know anymore dude. Man, I should go outside or something.

i hope psp will continue to outsell the ds as it's a far better piece of hardware. and maybe when the user base is large enough, people will start buying games for it too =/

ccbfan

Anyone surprised at how little smash effected the market in Japan this week.

I mean everyone was saying brawl is going to cannibalize all the other game's sales and what not but strangely not only did these games meet expectation some actually beat them in the cause of DMC 4 which actually beat its predecessor with the putrid PS3+360 install base.

I mean the game sold great but it sent a very little ripple in the market.

I mean usually when a game with the profile and sales of brawl is released you see certain shifts it weird to see almost none with Brawl except a underwhelming increase in Wii sales. I mean people complained about the low 360 increase from Halo 3 well this make that look like a raise from the heaven boost considering this is weekly charts so every should be even more magnified.

Its weird, its like Smash had this great sales number but happened in a vacuum.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ccbfan said:

I mean everyone was saying brawl is going to cannibalize all the other game's sales and what not but strangely not only did these games meet expectation some actually beat them in the cause of DMC 4 which actually beat its predecessor with the putrid PS3+360 install base.

Dude.

#1 > #2-10

Hesemonni

Banned
ccbfan said:

I mean usually when a game with the profile and sales of brawl is released you see certain shifts it weird to see almost none with Brawl except a underwhelming increase in Wii sales. I mean people complained about the low 360 increase from Halo 3 well this make that look like a raise from the heaven boost considering this is weekly charts so every should be even more magnified.

I see what you mean.

Pachael

With Blu-Ray sewed up, there's only one way for the PS3 to go: up. I think Nintendo are shifting their efforts to the Wii nonetheless since there's more to prove in the console area (and more competition).

Hesemonni said:
I see what you mean.

I think it's also because Smash and DMC4 compliment each other.

In a sense one is a party game the other is leave me the fuck alone I need to get S-rank on Dante Must Die. So it's refreshing to go back between them every other day or weekend or something.

I don't know, but that would be my mindset if both of these games came out at the same time.

ccbfan

reilo said:
Dude.

#1 > #2-10

Honestly if you're gonna quote me please quote the entire post. Its not like its very long. I hate people that post partial quotes just so it make their rebuttal seem correct when in reality their point is already addressed.

Having great sales numbers (as stated in the parts of the quote you just happen to not post) is what makes this really amazing. It had these great sales number that was greater the rest of the top ten yet seem to have little effect on other sectors of the market.

kswiston

Chrono said:
So what are the top selling consoles of all time in Japan? How close is the DS?

Gameboy + GBC sold ~32.5M in Japan. I can't find any numbers where GB and GBC aren't combined though. If you accept that all the gameboy's pre-GBA are basically the same system, then that's the top system of all time.

fernoca

ccbfan said:
Honestly if you're gonna quote me please quote the entire post. Its not like its very long. I hate people that post partial quotes just so it make their rebuttal seem correct when in reality their point is already addressed.

Having great sales numbers (as stated in the parts of the quote you just happen to not post) is what makes this really amazing. It had these great sales number that was greater the rest of the top ten yet seem to have little effect on other sectors of the market.
If anything, blame Nintendo.. :p
Brawl basically sold what they shipped..
Plus, is the Wii's biggest selling/debut game..

If anything, compare it to the PS3 and 360 and see how many PS3 or 360 games debuted with over 800k units in Japan over the same period...

Not to mention, the possible legs Brawl may have..seeing how Melee started with around 300k and ended with 1.2+ million...but it was a near-launch title, so who knows...

MisterHero

ccbfan said:

1) It's likely that people bought Wiis weeks or even months in advance in anticipation of Smash. Reggie said this last year about Halo 3 and most people who wanted Halo 3 likely already had a 360. The same can be said about Wii and Smash. The sheer anticipation of the game did a lot for the game ahead of its release.

2) It's only been a week. Of course the industry 'ripple' has yet to be seen.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ccbfan said:

Part two just regurgitated the same stuff you said in part one. So where is the point in quoting that?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Twilight Princess said:
i hope psp will continue to outsell the ds as it's a far better piece of hardware. and maybe when the user base is large enough, people will start buying games for it too =/
Don't hold your breath. People are buying PSPs because of it's other reasons. My girlfriend's sister bought one in Singapore yesterday merely so she could watch anime on it.

Flakster99

There is something very satisfying seeing 4 gaming machines individually sell 40k+ units in a single, non-holiday week. I think we're at a point where gaming is so incredibly diverse, so much bigger than past generations, and seeing similar results around the world, everything is moving and evolving at such a quick pace it is a fantastic time to be a gamer.

Competition is a very beautiful thing, now if only Microsoft can get their Japan gaming equity in order with better marketing, and either via an outright buyout of several major 3rd party developers/publishers and or via a set of mergers.

ccbfan

reilo said:
Part two just regurgitated the same stuff you said in part one. So where is the point in quoting that?

Well then you just regurgitated the same stuff I posted then. So where is the point in posting that?

I mean wow you're trying to refute me saying Smash had greats sales by telling me smash is greater than the rest of the top 10. I mean no duh sherlock. Great Job.

ElFly

I guess the DS is reaching saturation point in Japan.

It's a good time for the PSP to close that small gap of 13 millions of consoles :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ElFly said:
I guess the DS is reaching saturation point in Japan.

It's a good time for the PSP to close that small gap of 13 millions of consoles :lol
Wrong, DS is reaching saturation for its current price point. It managed to beat the PS2 and still keep trucking without one price drop yet.

MisterHero

Flakster99 said:
There is something very satisfying seeing 4 gaming machines individually sell 40k+ units in a single, non-holiday week. I think we're at a point where gaming is so incredibly diverse, so much bigger than past generations, and seeing similar results around the world, everything is moving and evolving at such a quick pace it is a fantastic time to be a gamer.

Competition is a very beautiful thing, now if only Microsoft can get their Japan gaming equity in order with better marketing, and either via an outright buyout of several major 3rd party developers/publishers and or via a set of mergers.
lol

Flakster99

MisterHero said:

Without talking about the obvious contradiction, try to think about the context of my overall post.

Microsoft went for a different direction this generation by funding Japan flavored software with gigantic budgets, start-up studios and up to this point, 2+ years later, did the ends really justify the means? The numbers say no, and I foresee Microsoft doing something about it and taking a (slight) different approach, whatever it may be.

Dahbomb

Devil May Cry 4 has indeed outpaced sales for DMC3 and DMC3SE combined. The total for both those iterations of DMC3 totalled around 400K LTD I believe in Japan. I think DMC4 should be able to achieve that, hopefully.

DMC5 confirmed. And with this game being on the 360, it's going to do massively in cumulative sales. 2 million+ easily worldwide, I am calling it now. Not "OMFG MGS/SMG/Smash" level, but DMC4 might be the best selling DMC game yet (or a close second to DMC1's 2.7 million).

ElFly

HK-47 said:
Wrong, DS is reaching saturation for its current price point. It managed to beat the PS2 and still keep trucking without one price drop yet.

Well, it is pretty cheap if you ask me.

And there must be people like me who still have their DS Phat, and will get another soon.

Xavien

HK-47 said:

Indeed, if there was a $20-30 (Yen Equivalent ofcourse) price drop and a couple new colours released for the DS i wouldn't be surprised if the DS climbed back to 100k+ again.

This is Nintendo we are talking about here, they are going to milk the DS for as long as they can before bringing out a successor.

Also remember the DS/DSL have been out for a grand total of just over 3 years. The GB/GBC stopped selling after about 10 years of being on sale.

ethelred

I do find it hilarious that people are saying the DS has reached saturation point because it's now at 67k sales in a week. At its "saturation point," the DS is now selling about what the PS2 was selling weekly at its prime.

MisterHero

Flakster99 said:
Without talking about the obvious contradiction, try to think about the context of my overall post.

Microsoft went for a different direction this generation by funding Japan flavored software with gigantic budgets, start-up studios and up to this point, 2+ years later, did the ends really justify the means? The numbers say no, and I foresee Microsoft doing something about it and taking a (slight) different approach, whatever it may be.
To be honest I don't see much that Microsoft can do. Over time it will likely be proven that money won't solve the problem, and indeed they are already deep in money trouble (considering if they don't throw MS' non-Xbox money at it).

Maybe if Wii hadn't existed as the consumer-friendly device it is (and its profitability), more people would be looking at 360's power and high-budget software, but Wii's efficient design principles has made those bad ideas for both MS and Sony (for now, at least).

Actually my biggest bet for MS in Japan would be Xbox Live Arcade. Scaling back more expensive development for a while and waiting for opportunities would be better for them, I think.

AlternativeUlster

ethelred said:
I do find it hilarious that people are saying the DS has reached saturation point because it's now at 67k sales in a week. At its "saturation point," the DS is now selling about what the PS2 was selling weekly at its prime.

Just admit Nintendo has a failure on its hands now. Virtual Boy part 2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ethelred said:
Its a reaction to PSP beating it. I'm just glad people have been mostly level headed about it. I was sure the really insane fanboys were gonna jump all over this

Jammy

Banned
ethelred said:

Another ~20 million for the DS in Japan then?

Flakster99

ethelred said:

Undeniably true. A lot of people weren't here or forget most Media Create threads lasted but a few pages with few exceptions.

It goes back to my point, which was just how huge the gaming market has become in 2008, and I forgot to mention mobile phones and the PC, my apologies!

Flakster99

MisterHero said:
To be honest I don't see much that Microsoft can do. Over time it will likely be proven that money won't solve the problem, and indeed they are already deep in money trouble (considering if they don't throw MS' non-Xbox money at it).

Maybe if Wii hadn't existed as the consumer-friendly device it is (and its profitability), more people would be looking at 360's power and high-budget software, but Wii's efficient design principles has made those bad ideas for both MS and Sony (for now, at least).

Actually my biggest bet for MS in Japan would be Xbox Live Arcade. Scaling back more expensive development for a while and waiting for opportunities would be better for them, I think.

Xbox Live Arcade could be a nice stepping stone, but to get a solid foothold in Japan I think Microsoft really needs to come out their very own handheld and take it to Sony and Nintendo on that front.

I wonder what happened with the Microsoft handheld rumors of 2006.

Concept17

Well since its game over for DS...

Can the second one have three screens in the tri-force shape. I would totally buy it. And all it would do is play Zelda games... lots and lots of zelda games. Endless... zelda...

Flakster99 said:

Which way do you want it? :lol

Nidain

Do we know how many Devil May Cry 4 bundles were sold? And if the bundle is sold out ? I was expecting a Higher boost for that week.

MisterHero

Flakster99 said:
Xbox Live Arcade could be a nice stepping stone, but to get a solid foothold in Japan I think Microsoft really needs to come out their very own handheld and take it to Sony and Nintendo on that front.

I wonder what happened with the Microsoft handheld rumors of 2006.
If it's one thing gamers need less of right now it's hardware. :p And I would only begin to consider it if Microsoft were a major developer of gaming software and not just publishing/marketing, which is what they currently are.

Top Bottom