• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

test_account

XP-39C²
During the DS/PSP days and the Wii/PS3 wars where there were so many fanboy threads on both sides. But even then MC threads were a place to get away from that. They were not perfect of course but at least things were backed up by numbers, data, tangible things.
Having numbers to back things up doesnt necessarily mean that theres less "fanboying" though. I remember how people laughed and proclaimed doom over the PS3, that went on for a while. I mean, yeah, it did sell poorly to begin with, but still, everything didnt feel like normal discussion, felt like several of comments had bias to them. Then things settled for a while until the Vita was released, then it happened again. Things like "now even smaller 3rd parties are abandoning the Vita", "dat stability". I also remember one guy calling a company greedy because a company made a 3DS/Vita multiplatform title, should have made the 3DS version only.

Eolz

By virtue of being a western focused PS4 game it's going to have the highest production values for the series ever. They're not going to treat it like a small game.

Fair enough.

Does Capcom have the manpower to do MHW/MH5 at the same time though?

What has the Dragon Dogma team been up to lately?

I think they've just been sent to multiple projects.
Itsuno somewhere, part of the team on DDO, some were on MH4, etc.

Capcom has perfectly the manpower to do that, including the fact they'll get some other studios (internal or not) to help.

KtSlime

I don't think that's been true of the most recent entries?

On another note RIP Toukiden, nowhere to go free of MonHun now.:p

You are absolutely right. The most recent entry "Dokodon Mystery Adventure", if it was in an alternate dimension and sold exactly what it did but on PS4 would be the 27th largest franchise on PS4, right ahead if Destiny. The one before it, "Dontokatu Jiku Boken" would be 11th, right behind NieR.

goldage

Banned
It ain't even E3 and I've already won the bet hahahaha
yet u were too scared to bet on it being exclusive, mainline or betting it for e3 and reducing it to a 3 month bet

"a ps4 mh not previously released"

whats the fun in betting if you're not really even taking a risk? lol

L~A

Game is releasing on July 12th, which is just one day before the New Nintendo 2DS XL hits. Good move.

MTC100

Banned
Boxart for Nights of Azure 2 on every platform.
Actually looks great on Switch format! Didn't expect that after several ports with bad box art layouts.

Everything looks great on Switch ^^

OK. Stepped away from this thread for a few days. Came back to ... this.

I think I going to stay away until after E3. It's just toxic here.

image.php

Fisico

On the other hand, spin offs usually sell less than mainline games and DGS wasn't too far off from 6 so I expect the series to have more spin offs in the future.

Uh?
Yes it was, can't check the media create cy 2015 numbers on my phone but AA6 should be around 350k while DGS is around 200k if my memory doesn't fail me.
We even had comments from Capcom saying DGS sales were a tad dissapointing, and that wasn'tu because they were shooting for the stars with that title.

Edit: ok saw the numbers, 370k for AA6, 200k for DGS, retail only, add 10-20k for digital.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
By virtue of being a western focused PS4 game it's going to have the highest production values for the series ever. They're not going to treat it like a small game.

Yes, they will treat it like a big game- I'm sure its very expensive. And I think it can do well in Japan for a PS4 game. But it won't get close to mainline numbers.

ggx2ac

Yes, they will treat it like a big game- I'm sure its very expensive. And I think it can do well in Japan for a PS4 game. But it won't get close to mainline numbers.

I'm​ wondering how the game will look.

There was Deep Down and that's... down somewhere.

If it's really an open world game which could be the case according to the title, then it probably is very expensive.

Makes me wonder if people will be underwhelmed if it doesn't look impressive when it will be compared to say Horizon Zero Dawn if it's​ open world.

So what's our predictions for major Japanese Games announced during E3?
Mine are
Monster Hunter World
DMC5
And Chrono Trigger 2(yup I said it)

DMC5 and From Software new IP.

I'm having trouble thinking of much else. Maybe Konami will swallow their pride and let Platinum make Revengeance 2, its easy money for them.

Eolz

So what's our predictions for major Japanese Games announced during E3?
Mine are
Monster Hunter World
DMC5
And Chrono Trigger 2(yup I said it)

Wow!
Predicting some localizations on Switch (of games already announced like XX), teaser for a Platinum game on Nintendo's spotlight (not a major one I know), that Dragon Ball game being shown (since it wasn't supposed to be shown before E3) and MH World.
That's all.

Honestly think there won't be any new major japanese announcement before TGS or PSX, since a lot of big games announced previously still don't even have a release date.

sense

I am sure capcom, even with their unrealistic expectations sometimes, knows very well that this entry will be nowhere near mainline numbers so I don't understand this obsession over it NEEDS to sell some kind of arbitrary number. If this is indeed PS4 game as expected and is western focused then I am sure they are going into it with the mindset of this being a test and to bring on new fans they may have to start over and risk losing long term fans. This is just laying a foundation for the future.

It is kinda sad that instead of looking forward to see what they do to bring in new fans and grow the franchise the usual suspects are "looking forward" to how terribly it will bomb and hurt the franchise......

schuelma

I am sure capcom, even with their unrealistic expectations sometimes, knows very well that this entry will be nowhere near mainline numbers so I don't understand this obsession over it NEEDS to sell some kind of arbitrary number. If this is indeed PS4 game as expected and is western focused then I am sure they are going into it with the mindset of this being a test and to bring on new fans they may have to start over and risk losing long term fans. This is just laying a foundation for the future.

It is kinda sad that instead of looking forward to see what they do to bring in new fans and grow the franchise the usual suspects are "looking forward" to how terribly it will bomb and hurt the franchise......

I'm not looking forward to anything- simply stating a fact about the Japanese market, since we're in a thread focused on Japan.

Zedark

Right but that's why I said a million and not two or three million.

How do you see their games adding up to 2.75 million?

1 million for MHW;
1/2 million for MHXX Switch + 3DS leftovers (do you agree with this?).

That leaves 1.25 million for all other projects. Is that reasonable? Or do you expect Capcom to overestimate once again?

KtSlime

Right but that's why I said a million and not two or three million.

I still wonder how it will get even close to that, a feat that no game (well maybe one which is PlayStation's biggest franchise) has been able to do on PS4 by getting rid of their players favorite feature (local portable multiplayer) and replacing it with one of the features the Japanese market cares least about (high quality HD graphics).

schuelma

I still wonder how it will get even close to that, a feat that no game (well maybe one which is PlayStation's biggest franchise) has been able to do on PS4 by getting rid of their players favorite feature (local portable multiplayer) and replacing it with one of the features the Japanese market cares least about (high quality HD graphics).

If its done well I think it could hold a lot of appeal to the current PS4 userbase. Heck Horizon sold what, 250k?

I do think 1 million might be stretching it. MH Tri would seem to be the uppermost limit of the franchise on a home console and that had to sputter to 1 million. We'll see though!

Passose

Banned
If its done well I think it could hold a lot of appeal to the current PS4 userbase. Heck Horizon sold what, 250k?

I do think 1 million might be stretching it. MH Tri would seem to be the uppermost limit of the franchise on a home console and that had to sputter to 1 million. We'll see though!
Tri did that on a home console with near 16 million userbase though

Oregano

How do you see their games adding up to 2.75 million?

1 million for MHW;
1/2 million for MHXX Switch + 3DS leftovers (do you agree with this?).

That leaves 1.25 million for all other projects. Is that reasonable? Or do you expect Capcom to overestimate once again?

>1 mil for MHW
>1/2 mil for MHXX between Switch and 3DS legs
~200k for Great Ace Attorney
~200k for DD: Dark Arisen

Might be overestimating the last two but they would only need one or two other decent sized games plus legacy sales(including DD game which they discount a lot).

EDIT:
Tri did that on a home console with near 16 million userbase though

The teenager/young adult core gaming audience didn't like the Wii and didn't buy Wii games.

Fiendcode

Ease up on the toxicity. Usual suspects is a bannable phrase for a reason.

Oregano

You realize this is a thread about Japan and their buying habits right?

Oh now you're just getting lazy

I fail to see what is wrong with that statement. That audience didn't really exist on Wii, it was on PSP and PS3 at the time and PS4 now. That doesn't mean a PS4 game will magically do better(the ceiling fo PS4 software seems lower plain and simple) but the Wii's userbase is meaningless for a title aimed at a specific demographic that by and large wasn't invested in the Wii.

I fail to see what is wrong with that statement. That audience didn't really exist on Wii, it was on PSP and PS3 at the time and PS4 now. That doesn't mean a PS4 game will magically do better(the ceiling fo PS4 software seems lower plain and simple) but the Wii's userbase is meaningless for a title aimed at a specific demographic that by and large wasn't invested in the Wii.

Do you think PS4 MH is gonna do 1.0 million in Japan?

schuelma

You have no way of proving that. The series started on the PS2- the height of 3rd party success and never got close to the portable versions.

Do you think PS4 MH is gonna do 1.2 million in Japan?

This sort of question is impossible to answer. We don't know if the game exists or if it does whether it's exclusive or Multiplatform. We also don't know when it would release or what the game would even be like. Basically it's a total stab in the dark.

I personally don't think it's outside the realm of possibility depending on what is announced but I won't it's hard to really say anything until we have something to base our predictions on.

KtSlime

You didn't say "Monster hunter fans were on PSP and PS3 at the time" You said "The teenager/young adult core gaming audience didn't like the Wii and didn't buy Wii games." Which is not a true statement at all. The Wii had people from all demographics. If you have evidence to support your claim, now would be the time to present it.

Oregano

Do you think PS4 MH is gonna do 1.2 million in Japan?

It's a definite possibility.

You have no way of proving that. The series started on the PS2- the height of 3rd party success and never got close to the portable versions.

I never anything to suggest otherwise though?

EDIT:
You didn't say "Monster hunter fans were on PSP and PS3 at the time" You said "The teenager/young adult core gaming audience didn't like the Wii and didn't buy Wii games." Which is not a true statement at all. The Wii had people from all demographics. If you have evidence to support your claim, now would be the time to present it.

Name a Wii game aimed at that demographic which didn't underperform? It's even harder to name one when talking specifically about Japan because at least No More Heroes did well in the west.

This sort of question is impossible to answer. We don't know if the game exists or if it does whether it's exclusive or Multiplatform. We also don't know when it would release or what the game would even be like. Basically it's a total stab in the dark.

I personally don't think it's outside the realm of possibility depending on what is announced but I won't it's hard to really say anything until we have something to base our predictions on.

If the teenage adult crowd was not on the Wii and that held back MH sales then MH on PS4 (assuming no Switch) should have no problem crossing 1 million by his logic regardless of what it is.

Oregano

If the teenage adult crowd was not on the Wii and that held back MH sales then MH on PS4 (assuming no Switch) should have no problem crossing 1 million by his logic regardless of what it is.

No, that's ridiculous. It ignores product quality for one thing.

schuelma

EDIT:

Name a Wii game aimed at that demographic which didn't underperform? It's even harder to name one when talking specifically about Japan because at least No More Heroes did well in the west.

Resident Evil

Hero

A westernized MH spin-off is going to do one million units on PS4 in Japan? You're receding back into batshit crazy territory dude.

If it's the open world western casualized multiplat that's being theorized then no. If it's MH5 then yes.

It's not MH5 so just remove that idea from the conversation. Western aimed MH doesn't imply the game is going to be bad or casualized. Capcom hasn't made a bad MH game.

So again. PS4 MH shouldn't have any issues surpassing 1 million correct?

No, that's ridiculous. It ignores product quality for one thing.

For people so sure about PS4 MH yall seem to be the only ones who don't think it'll be good. Lotta excuse peddling here.

If the game is worse than Tri that'll be surprising regardless of who the target market is.

Top Bottom