• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

To be fair, Marvelous is still releasing their biggest franchise as a Switch exclusive, and most already saw Senran Kagura as a mismatch for the Nintendo audience.

I keep forgetting about Story of Seasons. I hope they announce the next game soon.

Sandfox

Rune Factory 4 is the best selling and highest regarded game in the series, but we get no follow up. I'm surprised they didn't try putting a new team on the series while Lord of Magna was in development.

When is the next iphone launching?

We could be seeing the manufacturing lines for the chips that is needed being opened up for the Switch since Apple is no longer hogging most of them.

To be fair, Marvelous is still releasing their biggest franchise as a Switch exclusive, and most already saw Senran Kagura as a mismatch for the Nintendo audience.

I'd find that easier to believe if thigh rubbing simulator and life jiggling pinball weren't just announced for the system.

MoonFrog

DQ's release is a split because Square Enix likely thinks they can catch a bit of the global pie. Any other generation, 3DS would've been the only release platform, done in one. But now? PS4 might not be lighting up the charts in Japan with only 5 million sold, but having a PS4 version means being able to tap into that 63.3 million worldwide userbase. There's a reason SQ announced a five-language localization for the game.

And the relative strength of the PS4 DQ11 sales in light of that platform's smaller userbase in Japan is probably giving them even more hope.

For all the fact that Switch users are very hungry for any release, it still only has 1.2 million in sales in Japan. The fact that Square Enix is working on a Switch version is actually quite surprising, though I'm glad they are.

Yeah, I'm mostly talking about the supposed period when it was just PS4. We have that recent interview, which seems conflicted about that story, but it itself also points to it earlier in the interview, in line with the earlier reports.

That would be an extremely odd decision that SE walked back with the 3DS version, if it indeed was the decision. It would also have been a decision made in ~2013 and had to have been expecting a better result for PS4 in Japan.

Moreover, if it were the decision, I think you get this picture:

I really can't see worldwide sales as a justification. The only argument I can see is they creatively really wanted to make an HD game. PS4 is by far the least successful platform to get a new release mainline DQ. If it were 3DS only it would have been out a year ago or earlier, the budget would have been 1/3, and IMO it would have sold more, being closer to peak 3DS. Aka it likely would have made much much more money. Western sales would have to be very high to make up for that.

That is, I take Horii at his word as wanting to make the game for a stationary console and SE as willing to believe that DQ could be a success on PS4 and letting that happen. I don't know what the power dynamic is there, but I assume Horii's desires have to also line up with business decisions. So I think if 3DS version was indeed a later addition, SE was being very bullish on PS4 in 2013 or so.

DQ Japan was "saved" by the 3DS version, in that those allowed it to achieve DQ-like sales. PS4 version performed very well for the PS4. It outperformed most early estimates. It almost sold as much as the 3DS version. The thing is, I don't think that result could have been much higher and that is both praise and indicative of the necessity of the 3DS version to achieve 2.5-4 million total sales lifetime in Japan.

The problem remains, as D.Lo points out, that this was a very costly way to maintain sales at DQ-like levels, when that could also have been achieved on 3DS alone at an earlier date and that highlights just how odd wrt business the presumed initial decision was.

Aside:

I do think this decision could pay off in the west. The problem is, if DQXI just mimics the sales of other Japanese games doing well lately, then it hasn't paid off: DQ already hit those sorts of numbers with both VIII and IX. Here I think multiplatform could help, if it comes over that way. Say DQ XI sells P5 good on PS4 in the west. That'd be very modest growth over previous entries. Say it also sells a couple 100k on Switch, that adds to that growth pile. Say it sells about 100k on 3DS too. Some more to the growth pile.

Couple that with a Switch port of the PS4 version in Japan for another, let's say, <500k and you get more out of the decision to start on PS4.

(Note: IX suggests a hypothetical earlier 3DS release could've also done ~1 million. I'm guessing a) Switch will still be too small to support that and b) 3DS will be past its prime in 2018. I think in 2018 it clearly goes PS4>Switch>3DS for western sales).

Maybe instead DQXI PS4 blows DQVIII completely out of the water? But that would be it doing better than the current trend of successful Japanese games that we are talking about. Perhaps that tide rises it higher than the Personas of the world?

This and MHW, another decision made in presumably 2013 or so, highlight that going into PS4 there were some bullish decisions on the part of some Japanese developers.

I don't expect the same will pan out to be true of 2016 for Switch when we get to 2019 or so. I think this sort of behavior is simply not something Nintendo or the domestic Japanese market inspires.

I do think Switch will get a healthy portion of sensible decisions in its favor.

But in any case, my whole point in bringing this up is we're in a time where Switch users are with bated breath wrt Japanese support for their system, with mixed signals including tepid remarks from major 3DS partners like Capcom, and a time when PS4 is seeing these strange unlooked for "holy grails" in terms of support. They're at different parts in their life--we weren't going to know the quality of Switch support for a while no matter how PS4 is doing--but the juxtaposition of these two states makes the Switch support situation look worse than it is.

Right now people are hearing about faith in PS4 in 2013 and hearing noncommittal comments about Switch.

So it was a multifaceted post: this little side-tangent about the difference in how Nintendo and Sony can attract support and a meta-commentary about why this current situation feeds into Switch anxiety, despite the fact that it really shouldn't.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, I'm mostly talking about the supposed period when it was just PS4. We have that recent interview, which seems conflicted about that story, but it itself also points to it earlier in the interview, in line with the earlier reports.

That would be an extremely odd decision that SE walked back with the 3DS version, if it indeed was the decision. It would also have been a decision made in ~2013 and had to have been expecting a better result for PS4 in Japan.

Moreover, if it were the decision, I think you get this picture:

That is, I take Horii at his word as wanting to make the game for a stationary console and SE as willing to believe that DQ could be a success on PS4 and letting that happen. I don't know what the power dynamic is there, but I assume Horii's desires have to also line up with business decisions. So I think if 3DS version was indeed a later addition, SE was being very bullish on PS4 in 2013 or so.

DQ Japan was "saved" by the 3DS version, in that those allowed it to achieve DQ-like sales. PS4 version performed very well for the PS4. It outperformed most early estimates. It almost sold as much as the 3DS version. The thing is, I don't think that result could have been much higher and that is both praise and indicative of the necessity of the 3DS version to achieve 2.5-4 million total sales lifetime in Japan.

The problem remains, as D.Lo points out, that this was a very costly way to maintain sales at DQ-like levels, when that could also have been achieved on 3DS alone at an earlier date and that highlights just how odd wrt business the presumed initial decision was.

Aside:

I do think this decision could pay off in the west. The problem is, if DQXI just mimics the sales of other Japanese games doing well lately, then it hasn't paid off: DQ already hit those sorts of numbers with both VIII and IX. Here I think multiplatform could help, if it comes over that way. Say DQ XI sells P5 good on PS4 in the west. That'd be very modest growth over previous entries. Say it also sells a couple 100k on Switch, that adds to that growth pile. Say it sells about 100k on 3DS too. Some more to the growth pile.

Couple that with a Switch port of the PS4 version in Japan for another, let's say, <500k and you get more out of the decision to start on PS4.

(Note: IX suggests a hypothetical earlier 3DS release could've also done ~1 million. I'm guessing a) Switch will still be too small to support that and b) 3DS will be past its prime in 2018. I think in 2018 it clearly goes PS4>Switch>3DS for western sales).

Maybe instead DQXI PS4 blows DQVIII completely out of the water? But that would be it doing better than the current trend of successful Japanese games that we are talking about. Perhaps that tide rises it higher than the Personas of the world?

This and MHW, another decision made in presumably 2013 or so, highlight that going into PS4 there were some bullish decisions on the part of some Japanese developers.

I don't expect the same will pan out to be true of 2016 for Switch when we get to 2019 or so. I think this sort of behavior is simply not something Nintendo or the domestic Japanese market inspires.

I do think Switch will get a healthy portion of sensible decisions in its favor.

But in any case, my whole point in bringing this up is we're in a time where Switch users are with bated breath wrt Japanese support for their system, with mixed signals including tepid remarks from major 3DS partners like Capcom, and a time when PS4 is seeing these strange unlooked for "holy grails" in terms of support. They're at different parts in their life--we weren't going to know the quality of Switch support for a while no matter how PS4 is doing--but the juxtaposition of these two states makes the Switch support situation look worse than it is.

Right now people are hearing about faith in PS4 in 2013 and hearing noncommittal comments about Switch.

So it was a multifaceted post: this little side-tangent about the difference in how Nintendo and Sony can attract support and a meta-commentary about why this current situation feeds into Switch anxiety, despite the fact that it really shouldn't.
That kinda sums it up

I really can't see worldwide sales as a justification. The only argument I can see is they creatively really wanted to make an HD game. PS4 is by far the least successful platform to get a new release mainline DQ.

Technically, Switch is.

If it were 3DS only it would have been out a year ago or earlier, the budget would have been 1/3, and IMO it would have sold more, being closer to peak 3DS. Aka it likely would have made much much more money. Western sales would have to be very high to make up for that.

I agree it probably would've sold more 3DS only. Hence why I think it's a part of their play for a more global audience. By time FFXV dropped off the Top 20, it sold 944,806 copies. Almost a million. In total, the best numbers we have for worldwide sales/shipments is 6 million. So, around 5 million outside of Japan.

Now you're Square Enix. You're thinking, "well, Dragon Quest XI is just as good." And they've been working hard to broaden the appeal of the series, which is why we've gotten Builders and Heroes.

“Overall awareness for Dragon Quest is still fairly low in regions outside of Japan,” says DQH2 producer Ryota Aomi. “So the biggest task we have on hand is to introduce Dragon Quest to those who have never heard of the series and encourage them to get to know and play Dragon Quest Heroes II. We need to continuously undertake this challenge for future titles in the series.”

“Our target was a global audience,” Builders producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto explains. As of last December, the game had sold 1.1 million copies worldwide, though it’s unclear how many of those sales came from the US specifically. (Square Enix says that Japan was still the top market, but sales were also strong in places like Korea and the US.)

He says that the team was thinking about the global audience for Heroes’ sequel from the very beginning. “During the planning and development phase for the Japanese version of Dragon Quest Heroes II, we were conscious about releasing the game overseas,” he notes. “We carefully calculated the threshold to ensure players unaccustomed to Dragon Quest would still be able to enjoy the game. In other words, we did not design the game based on the assumption that players would have prior knowledge of Dragon Quest.”

“If we could pinpoint the defining obstacle to the series becoming a global hit overseas,” says Fujimoto, “we would gladly take on the challenge.”

So, 5 million. What if you can capture half of that audience? That's another 2.5 million sold for Dragon Quest XI. A third? 1.6 million. Dragon Quest IX on DS sold 4.26 million. Nintendo published it in the US and pulled another 1.05 million. (For odd contrast, the DS had sold 146 million worldwide by then; 32 million in Japan, 55 million in the Americas.)

Basically, Square Enix is looking at their numbers:

W2elH2m.png

And trying to grab that 26 million part. And thy're more likely to do that in the West with the PS4.

Of course, this is all guessing and speculation looking at their numbers.

D.Lo

Technically, Switch is.
Switch did not get it at release. Hence why I said 'new release'.

Heck depending how long it takes to release Switch may be near or surpass PS4 total by then in Japan, and depending on definition of success (eg sales velocity) it is already a vastly more successful platform than PS4. It's already a successful platform, just also a very new/young one.

It is all opinions, but I just don't see any non-dumb business justification for it being primarily PS4 game (PS4 was almost certainly the only platform originally and would have taken the majority of the development budget surely). My guess is it would struggle for 1.5 million western sales. There's no new hook or anything about it that suggests western breakout, unlike MHW which does look like it has a chance at that.

Mory Dunz

This.
PS4 5.095.722
NSW 1.286.300

um, did I miss where DQ11 released on Switch?

edit
game hasn't come out. And we know literally nothing about it.
Will Switch be above 5m whenever it comes out? Dunno, and I don't really care.
But your statement was weird considering the game barely exists to us, let alone released.

Heck depending how long it takes to release Switch may be near or surpass PS4 total by then in Japan, and depending on definition of success (eg sales velocity) it is already a vastly more successful platform than PS4. It's already a successful platform, just also a very new/young one.

It is all opinions, but I just don't see any non-dumb business justification for it being primarily PS4 game (PS4 was almost certainly the only platform originally and would have taken the majority of the development budget surely). My guess is it would struggle for 1.5 million western sales. There's no new hook or anything about it that suggests western breakout, unlike MHW which does look like it has a chance at that.

As I hinted at above, for the purposes of sales planning, they're likely not looking at a potential future hardware sales target, just what's out there right now.

I certainly don't expect it to do all that well either. But I can see SQ thinking it might and many of their localization moves in relation to the series point at hoping the Western audience is bigger.

um, did I miss where DQ11 released on Switch?

You did not, but considering it was shown playable, I also don't expect it to be more than a year down the line.

SE releasing almost every DQ spinoff overseas is something unheard of them so it only solidifies the point that they wanted to target Western market for PS4. If DQXI is localized in early 2018, I also expect a 3DS version to go with it.

KtSlime

They haven't said anything because it would hurt sales of the PS4/3DS versions, however immediately after it was released they announced the Western release. Why did they wait till then, was their any strategy to it? I think it was done for investors, because they had been gambling that they could maintain growth of the series in Japan alone, but once initial shipments went out, they realized that it wasn't going to pan out as they had hoped.

I think there are a number of moves that SE did with the DQ series these past few years that point to their original plan being a PS4 only release. Making a 3DS version, splitting the work/cost of releasing DQ7 in the US so late, remaking DQ8 with a bunch of western facing features to DS. A late Switch port to reuse PS4 assets, it points to decisions made after they realized they could not maintain growth, or at least that's what I see. (I also think that is why X was an MMO).

I should also note that PS4 is doing really well in Asia so i wonder how DQXI is going to do over there.
All Japanese companies want part of the international pie and it is not just the west .
Just like how we are also seeing more and more games coming to PC.

They haven't said anything because it would hurt sales of the PS4/3DS versions, however immediately after it was released they announced the Western release. Why did they wait till then, was their any strategy to it? I think it was done for investors, because they had been gambling that they could maintain growth of the series in Japan alone, but once initial shipments went out, they realized that it wasn't going to pan out as they had hoped.

I think there are a number of moves that SE did with the DQ series these past few years that point to their original plan being a PS4 only release. Making a 3DS version, splitting the work/cost of releasing DQ7 in the US so late, remaking DQ8 with a bunch of western facing features to DS. A late Switch port to reuse PS4 assets, it points to decisions made after they realized they could not maintain growth, or at least that's what I see. (I also think that is why X was an MMO).

If SE wanted growth for the series in Japan it would have to be on mobile .

Fularu

Banned
As I hinted at above, for the purposes of sales planning, they're likely not looking at a potential future hardware sales target, just what's out there right now.

I certainly don't expect it to do all that well either. But I can see SQ thinking it might and many of their localization moves in relation to the series point at hoping the Western audience is bigger.

You did not, but considering it was shown playable, I also don't expect it to be more than a year down the line.
Two things

First the DQH western audience gamble was a failure. The second game sold significantly less than the first in the US (and also in Japan btw), Builders was a footnote in NA (both versions) and now that Nintendo no longer takes care of DQ in the west (why would they? Both DQ 7 and 8 are available on iOS and Android) the consumer base they built on the original DS has all but vanished (with Both games more or less bombing in the US).

So why should DQ11 be suddenly different from all the previous entries since SE has been trying to "build an audience" in the west over the past 3 years?

It's prety obvious SE banked on the PS4 after they saw the sluggish 3DS and WiiU sales at the begining and made plans to shift back the franchise to the PlayStation ecosystem (with PS3/4/vita releases). But by 2015 it was prety clear that the strategy wouldn't work. Vita bombed worldwide, the PS4 was barely doing anything worthwhile in Japan and the 3DS prety much took the market. That's probably when the 3DS version of the game was greenlit in a hurry to save the game.

Unless SE vastly overships DQ11 in the west or Sony banks the localisation (and has exclusive rights in NA/Europe) the game will end up selling less worldwide than DQ9. Probably significantly so because unlike DQ9, DQ11 has nothing to prevent the second hand market while beeing a lot more expensive to make.

Second : when was the switch version of DQ11 shown?

MoonFrog

I think that while Square will try and make DQXI more of a success in the west and PS4 will be the key part of that, this is not the reason there is a PS4 version in the first place.

Expanding to PS4 from just 3DS could fit that sort of narrative. And, indeed, that's what the common assumption was for the order of events for a long time.

But then Horii described the 3DS version as an addition to the original PS4 project he only approved because of the idea of the 2D mode as a unique selling point.

That makes it look like 3DS version was added to supplement PS4 version sales in Japan, which makes it look like originally PS4 version was supposed to be enough in Japan.

Now, the recent interview makes it sound like these events were close together so that sort of thinking didn't last long, but it still sounds like there was a time where they thought that.

So I think you had a time where Horii wanted to make an HD game and where SE was willing to entertain just a PS4 version. I think that has to rely on there being a bullish attitude towards PS4 in Japan.

(Why would there be such an attitude? I think the west could still play an explanatory role here. It is in Square's best interest that Japan and the RotW are simultaneously target-able when it comes to expensive console games. SE hitting PS4 hard could help make it successful in Japan. IDK.)

RotW, Switch...these are as much a growth strategy as a strategy to make the PS4 version more worth it, imo.

Sandfox

I'm curious to see how DQXI is marketed in the west. DQIX was pushed as a more casual game with the customization being a big part of it. They had Seth Green promoting the game in ads with teenagers and young woman playing together. What do they do this time around?

KtSlime

If SE wanted growth for the series in Japan it would have to be on mobile .

I think they traded putting 1-8 on mobile for putting 11 on PS4 with Horii, Armor Project is still somewhat autonomous, however has an exclusive publishing agreement with SE. SE can't use DQ without Horii's permission, and Horii can't release DQ without SE's.

Horii has made it clear in many interviews he does not want to put the initial release of a main DQ game on mobile.

MoonFrog

I think they traded putting 1-8 on mobile for putting 11 on PS4 with Horii, Armor Project is still somewhat autonomous, however has an exclusive publishing agreement with SE. SE can't use DQ without Horii's permission, and Horii can't release DQ without SE's.

Horii has made it clear in many interviews he does not want to put the initial release of a main DQ game on mobile.

Yeah this is a part of the puzzle I'm curious about. How important was it that Horii wanted it HD and why was SE willing to go with that? Because SE clearly had to be willing, but Horii's desires could be a mitigating factor in just how much they also wanted DQ PS4.

Right up there with was it indeed PS4 version greenlighted, time elapsed, and then 3DS version greenlighted as Horii suggests?

EDIT: But either way, tbc, because I have been going on and on about this, I should be clear that I think it is cool there are all these versions and I'm torn between them personally. I just think it highlights an odd, bullish decision on PS4 much like I think MHW does because these franchises are so Japan-leading. I think there had to have been thoughts that PS4 could do better in Japan.

Yeah this is a part of the puzzle I'm curious about. How important was it that Horii wanted it HD and why was SE willing to go with that? Because SE clearly had to be willing, but Horii's desires could be a mitigating factor in just how much they also wanted DQ PS4.

Right up there with was it indeed PS4 version greenlighted, time elapsed, and then 3DS version greenlighted as Horii suggests?

Don't see why not .
I mean you have to go with the market conditions and adapt .
Last gen SE did it by making FF multiplat and they did the same to DQ even if it not exactly the same way .
More then ever if you want to make a game a certain way you can't depend on Japan only .

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales: July 27th to August 2nd, 2017

Nintendo Switch

(=) 01. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]
(=) 02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang) [12.5.2017]
(N) 03. Namco Museum (Bandai-Namco) [28.7.2017]
(=) 04. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-2) 05. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
(+2) 06. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-2) 07. ARMS (Nintendo) [16.3.2017]
(-2) 08. Levels+: Addictive Puzzle Game (flow) [13.7.2017]
(B) 09. Kamiko (Flyhigh Works) [13.04.2017]
(B) 10. ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug 2 (Hamster) [06.7.2017]

Nintendo 3DS

(=) 01. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square-Enix) [29.7.2017]
(=) 02. Kirby's Blowout Blast (Nintendo) [04.7.2017]
(=) 03. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(+1) 04. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [06.4.2017]
(B) 05. Maido Hebo Shougi (Arc System Works) [03.4.2013] [currently on sale]
(N) 06. Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo (Capcom) [03.8.2017]
(-1) 07. ByeBye! BoxBoy! (Nintendo) [02.2.2017] (currently on sale)
(B) 08. Dai Kaitaku Jidai ~Machi o Tsukurou~ (Arc System Works) [16.12.2015] (currently on sale)
(-5) 09. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle Layton and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (Level-5) [20.7.2017]
(=) 10. Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) (was on sale)

Wii U

(=) 01. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2015]
(=) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(=) 03. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(+1) 04. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(+2) 05. Art Academy: Sketchpad (Nintendo) [08.8.2013]
(+2) 06. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013]
(-3) 07. Discovery (Rainy Frog) [31.8.2016] (was on sale)
(B) 08. Harvest Moon 64 (Marvelous) [05.7.2017]
(=) 09. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo) [06.12.2014]
(-4) 10. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/4d89da68-734f-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Bruno MB

Prediction League Dragon Quest XI Edition Results

Congratulations to:

- Bruno MB, for winning by units!
- Kanann, for winning by mean error %!

Code:
    BY UNITS                                               BY MEAN ERROR %

1             Bruno MB          158.642                1              Kanann            10,99%
    2               DKHF            176.679                2              noshten           12,34%
    3              u_neek           188.642                3            astrogamer          12,37%
    4              Yeshua           190.614                4              Fisico            12,79%
    5              Fisico           193.479                5      Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule   14,57%
    6            astrogamer         193.642                6             Bruno MB           14,79%
    7              horuhe           201.967                7              horuhe            14,80%
    8              noshten          212.642                8              u_neek            15,48%
    9           Kenzodielocke       268.642                9            redblack85          15,89%
    10             noobie           278.550                10              DKHF             17,16%
    11             jj984jj          333.706                11             Yeshua            17,29%
    12           redblack85         347.614                12             noobie            18,06%
    13     Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule  352.614                13            Chris1964          18,12%
    14            Chris1964         356.840                14          Kenzodielocke        19,10%
    15             Kanann           380.614                15            LordKano           19,96%
    16            -Setsuna-         398.642                16              Eolz             20,49%
    17         AdventureRacing      410.874                17            -Setsuna-          21,32%
    18            LordKano          433.642                18          DarkLordMalik        21,36%
    19            dno_1966          433.642                19          TheLegendaryN        21,84%
    20           Yagami_Sama        444.482                20             Zedark            22,34%
    21              Orgen           451.614                21              Orgen            22,70%
    22            Datschge          460.614                22             jj984jj           23,00%
    23          DarkLordMalik       468.220                23            dno_1966           23,55%
    24          TheLegendaryN       469.126                24            Thoraxes           23,58%
    25             KAORIII          477.230                25             KAORIII           24,46%
    26             ethomaz          493.874                26         AdventureRacing       25,44%
    27              Eolz            520.614                27              ajjow            25,57%
    28              ajjow           541.614                28            sinonobu           26,36%
    29             Zedark           623.642                29           Yagami_Sama         26,87%
    30            Thoraxes          625.614                30              ynwzh            26,97%
    31           PshycoNinja        626.550                31            Datschge           27,63%
    32            sinonobu          631.550                32            casiopao           28,53%
    33             saichi           719.105                33           PshycoNinja         29,02%
    34            casiopao          730.614                34             saichi            29,27%
    35              ynwzh          1.032.706               35             ethomaz           33,46%

Code:
                                                Famitsu    Zedark  TheLegenda sinonobu  LordKano Yagami_Sam-Setsuna- Kenzodieloastrogamer dno_1966   u_neek   jj984jj    ajjow   Chris1964  Thoraxes   Kanann    ynwzh    Datschge redblack85
         [PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware            93.954   100.000   120.000    80.000    95.000    64.340   100.000   130.000   120.000   125.000   105.000   110.000    85.000    98.765    75.000    90.000   100.000    60.000    74.000
         [3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware            126.790    90.000   150.000    80.000    75.000    75.357    65.000   105.000   120.000    95.000    80.000    64.000    64.000    78.901   110.000   120.000   120.000    80.000   110.000
            [PS4] Dragon Quest XI               950.338   800.000   700.000   760.000   700.000   756.435   900.000   820.000   820.000   755.000   850.000   780.000   850.000   789.012   430.000   850.000   600.000   720.000   857.000
            [3DS] Dragon Quest XI              1.130.468  700.000  1.300.000  750.000  1.000.000 1.300.000  850.000  1.050.000 1.100.000  955.000  1.100.000 1.215.000 1.500.000  987.654  1.200.000 1.400.000 1.800.000 1.280.000 1.348.000

PshycoNinj  Orgen    Bruno MB   Yeshua    noobie  DarkLordMa  saichi   casiopao  KAORIII   ethomaz  AdventureR noshten    Fisico  Daphnes No   DKHF     horuhe     Eolz
  65.000    77.000   105.000    90.000    78.000    88.888   101.112    90.000    87.600    65.000    80.000    96.000    86.000    85.000   110.493   102.563    80.000
  90.000    84.000    80.000    60.000    85.000    77.777    67.890    70.000    58.000    42.000    60.000    87.000    92.000   103.000    75.591    83.305   101.000
 555.000   691.000   855.000   850.000   785.000   666.666   637.081   600.000   876.000  1.100.000 1.250.000  910.000   834.567   850.000   890.376   801.447   697.000
 965.000  1.263.000 1.125.000 1.150.000 1.075.000  999.999  1.470.258 1.450.000  802.720   900.000  1.100.000 1.000.000 1.165.432 1.350.000 1.081.489 1.129.486 1.358.000

Code:
                  STATISITCS                    Famitsu   GAF_AVG    UNDER      OVER      MIN       MAX             CLOSEST BY
         [PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware            93.954    91.993     54%       46%      60.000   130.000         95.000 LordKano
         [3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware            126.790    85.681     97%        3%      42.000   150.000       120.000 astrogamer
            [PS4] Dragon Quest XI               950.338   788.188     94%        6%     430.000  1.250.000        910.000 noshten
            [3DS] Dragon Quest XI              1.130.468 1.149.173    54%       46%     700.000  1.800.000       1.129.486 horuhe

foxuzamaki

The thing to take into consideration is this game was probably in development in 2013 or so.
So sales planning had to have been a factor when putting this on ps4

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wut? In japan maybe, outside of japan isn't even close to PS4 now, let alone if we compare the first year number.
They're only talking about Japan if you look through the conversation otherwise the comment about the PS4 being the least successful console at this point that DQ has released on doesn't make much sense.

foxuzamaki

Wut? In japan maybe, outside of japan isn't even close to PS4 now, let alone if we compare the first year number.

They're only talking about Japan if you look through the conversation otherwise the comment about the PS4 being the least successful console at this point that DQ has released on doesn't make much sense.
Also The fact that this is a Japanese sales thread

Also The fact that this is a Japanese sales thread

Even so they are talking about why DQ was on PS4 .
So it don't really make sense to only talk about one country .
DQ is really big in Japan but none of these companies make consoles games only thinking about Japan .
Still SE made a smart move now we have to see if the series will get any growth in Asia or the west .

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Amazon continues with Switch restocks the entire week. Bic Camera shipments will give an idea for this week.

Code:
+-----------------+-----+---------+---------+---------+
|      Week       | BIC |   M-C   |   FAM   |   DEN   |
| May 22 - May 28 |  93 |  27.146 |  27.440 |  24.612 |
| May 29 - Jun 04 |  84 |  23.524 |  25.274 |  24.735 |
| Jun 05 - Jun 11 |  83 |  27.291 |  28.293 |  29.020 |
| Jun 12 - Jun 18 |  99 |  37.709 |  49.440 |  43.850 |
| Jun 19 - Jun 25 |  59 |  22.361 |  26.964 |  22.495 |
| Jun 26 - Jul 02 |  54 |  25.805 |  24.736 |  25.442 |
| Jul 03 - Jul 09 | 120 |  26.256 |  36.143 |  32.769 |
| Jul 10 - Jul 16 |  63 |  31.906 |  25.154 |  24.462 |
| Jul 17 - Jul 23 | 138+|  98.999 | 102.581 |  93.611 |+ preordered Splatoon 2 bundles
| Jul 24 - Jul 30 | 500 |  89.314 | 105.697 |  90.522 |
| Jul 31 - Aug 06 |     |         |         |         |

foxuzamaki

Amazon continues with Switch restocks the entire week. Bic Camera shipments will give an idea for this week.

Code:
|      Week       | BIC |   M-C   |   FAM   |   DEN   |
| May 22 - May 28 |  93 |  27.146 |  27.440 |  24.612 |
| May 29 - Jun 04 |  84 |  23.524 |  25.274 |  24.735 |
| Jun 05 - Jun 11 |  83 |  27.291 |  28.293 |  29.020 |
| Jun 12 - Jun 18 |  99 |  37.709 |  49.440 |  43.850 |
| Jun 19 - Jun 25 |  59 |  22.361 |  26.964 |  22.495 |
| Jun 26 - Jul 02 |  54 |  25.805 |  24.736 |  25.442 |
| Jul 03 - Jul 09 | 120 |  26.256 |  36.143 |  32.769 |
| Jul 10 - Jul 16 |  63 |  31.906 |  25.154 |  24.462 |
| Jul 17 - Jul 23 | 138+|  98.999 | 102.581 |  93.611 |+ preordered Splatoon 2 bundles
| Jul 24 - Jul 30 | 500 |  89.314 | 105.697 |  90.522 |
| Jul 31 - Aug 06 |     |         |         |         |
Starting to turn into a pattern...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
blablablablabla meanwhile Bandai Namco keeps announcing games for PS4 (Dragonball FighterZ, Seven Deadly Sins, Gintama, Girls und Panzer) and not Switch, blablablabla meanwhile Marvelous announces Senran Kagura for PS4 and SK Pinball for Switch, blablablablablabla meanwhile Atlus announces new Persona Dancing for PS4 and even PSV, not for Switch, blablablablablablablablablabla meanwhile Dragon's Dogma, a PS3 game, ported to PS4XBO and not to Switch, blablablablablablablablablablablabla and blabla meanwhile Arika announces a new fighting game for PS4, release 2018 (won't they get dev kit until 2018??)

and just in the last month, meanwhile blablablabla dev-kit blablabla slow adoption from publishers blablablablabla

Thank you.

Seriously, thank you. I needed this shit to be entirely convinced of something I was thinking about for a while: leaving GAF for at least one year.

I just feel like, by being a Nintendo fan and by sustaining a specific theory that shouldn't be this ostracised since it should be rational enough (a very successful platform in Japan and WW getting support from Japanese third party developers) I shouldn't feel as inferior of a person as I feel staying here and even trying to bring more contexts to discussions when it's possible. It's probably a specific period in GAF history where the vast amount of users just aren't fit for discussions and just want to confirm their bias anyway on every side, extremising their own opinions so they are considered and not ignored, but I just don't see enough stimulations. What's the purpose of trying to discuss a hot topic and to receive as most frequent answers "No it won't", followed by "For reasons / 'cause PS4 baby / ‘cause Nintendo baby / 'cause nothing can change, see the Wii", as well as the opposite extreme (because, let's not deny it, there are Gaffers with an insufferable Nintendo-bias here as well, and they have a good part in the current state of things). I don't feel compelled to join this kind of discussions, I just feel misplaced here. And, again, an inferior person for just being a Nintendo fan with a deep interested in sales.

So, I've decided to take a one year+ of retirement from GAF. I'll just come here to mainly check PMs (in case people want to speak with me of different topics) and check specific threads / posts, mainly from the archive. For everything else? I'm out, do whatever you want , be as trollish as you want, whatever your side is, I just can't stand to get irritated by shit like this anymore.

This unfortunately means that the eShop rankings threads will stop again, and I'm sorry it came down to this, but I feel I have to. I'll see if I can find another way to post them (Twitter?).

I just hope that the next year, when I'll be back, GAF will be a better place, including sales discussions. And hopefully my theory will see confirmations from reality itself as well :p But above all a better place for rational, as-unbiased-as-possible discussions, alongside the rest.

So, everyone, it's been a pleasure with some, not with others. See you the next year.

Sandfox

Even so they are talking about why DQ was on PS4 .
So it don't really make sense to only talk about one country .
DQ is really big in Japan but none of these companies make consoles games only thinking about Japan .
Still SE made a smart move now we have to see if the series will get any growth in Asia or the west .
I'm don't really seeing any reason to expect growth in the west. SE hasn't done a good job building an audience and it's not like they made changes to make the series more appealing to the west.

Thank you.

Seriously, thank you. I needed this shit to be entirely convinced of something I was thinking about for a while: leaving GAF for at least one year.

I just feel like, by being a Nintendo fan and by sustaining a specific theory that shouldn't be this ostracised since it should be rational enough (a very successful platform in Japan and WW getting support from Japanese third party developers) I shouldn't feel as inferior of a person as I feel staying here and even trying to bring more contexts to discussions when it's possible. It's probably a specific period in GAF history where the vast amount of users just aren't fit for discussions and just want to confirm their bias anyway on every side, extremising their own opinions so they are considered and not ignored, but I just don't see enough stimulations. What's the purpose of trying to discuss a hot topic and to receive as most frequent answers "No it won't", followed by "For reasons / 'cause PS4 baby / &#8216;cause Nintendo baby / 'cause nothing can change, see the Wii", as well as the opposite extreme (because, let's not deny it, there are Gaffers with an insufferable Nintendo-bias here as well, and they have a good part in the current state of things). I don't feel compelled to join this kind of discussions, I just feel misplaced here. And, again, an inferior person for just being a Nintendo fan with a deep interested in sales.

So, I've decided to take a one year+ of retirement from GAF. I'll just come here to mainly check PMs (in case people want to speak with me of different topics) and check specific threads / posts, mainly from the archive. For everything else? I'm out, do whatever you want , be as trollish as you want, whatever your side is, I just can't stand to get irritated by shit like this anymore.

This unfortunately means that the eShop rankings threads will stop again, and I'm sorry it came down to this, but I feel I have to. I'll see if I can find another way to post them (Twitter?).

I just hope that the next year, when I'll be back, GAF will be a better place, including sales discussions. And hopefully my theory will see confirmations from reality itself as well :p But above all a better place for rational, as-unbiased-as-possible discussions, alongside the rest.

So, everyone, it's been a pleasure with some, not with others. See you the next year.

It sad to hear that there are gaffers making you feel this way.

Top Bottom