• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Kyoufu

There will be a new MH on Switch in 2 years tops, no more than that. Maybe even sooner depending on how much is taken from World. It's not an unknown quantity, it has no competition in the dedicated handheld sector in Japan, therefore it's Capcom's only choice to deliver a handheld Monster Hunter experience on.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
im pretty sure this is bs

Starting by Tegra 4, for which they released a gimped version called Tegra 4i for phones, the Tegra chips hasn't been used on phones. Just tablets. And in the case TX1, a 10.1 inch tablet that downclocks the GPU to 200Mhz, stationary Shield devices and the Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Over 90% of the phones, tables and mobile devices uses ARM. This is where the game development for Switch is.

PS4/XB1/PC development is x86 based.

This is pretty much irrelevant since middleware engines like UE4 are used for most games. No one is coding to the metal with these games.

The reason why these games are PS4 games is simple...development started 2 years ago and if you want to develop a console game the PS4 was the obvious choice. Switch will get there too....but projects that started development in the last 12 months and might include Switch wont be out this year obv.

Cheap/fast ports ala Revelations 1+2 or USF2 can always happen...but im talking about bigger "new games.

ethomaz

Banned
So at around a 50 million user base the Switch is no longer an unknown or risky platform for ports that typically sell in the millions? Guess that's what 3 years down the road, so maybe in another 2-3 years after those 3 years (game development and porting takes time) people will be more interested in the platform? Shame in another 6 years the hardware will be feeling a bit more dated, but maybe there will be a "new" Switch revision with a better chip by then.

I guess I'm wondering at around what level / userbase Switch becomes a known variable for 3rd parties that they care about, instead of an unknown one they don't feel comfortable on.
Well I guess that the way of thinking of Capcom.

If they didn't care about that this MH could be a 2014 game and not 2018.

Switch will get more 3rd on the road when it userbase increase... I think 2019/2020 we will see a lot more 3rd and even a new MH for it.

Rncewind

Starting by Tegra 4, for which they released a gimped version called Tegra 4i for phones, the Tegra chips hasn't been used on phone. Just tablets. And in the case TX1, a 10.1 inch tablet that downclocks the GPU to 200Mhz.

Yeah I was sure Tegra is used for phones, thx for confirming

There will be a new MH on Switch in 2 years tops, no more than that. Maybe even sooner depending on how much is taken from World. It's not an unknown quantity, it has no competition in the dedicated handheld sector in Japan, therefore it's Capcom's only choice to deliver a handheld Monster Hunter experience on.

I think the timing will depend on how good \ bad MHW does .

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well I guess that the way of thinking of Capcom.

If they didn't care about that this MH could be a 2014 game and not 2018.

Switch will get more 3rd on the road when it userbase increase... I think 2019/2020 we will see a lot more 3rd and even a new MH for it.

19/20 is a bit late...pretty sure we see the mayor shift happening next year after this Holiday season.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The west moves on much faster when it comes to hardware .
Also switch is a HD consoles so capcom know it has to make new assets and can reuse them.
So why not try to push MH on consoles \PC even if it does okay in the west there is a lot of money to be made .
The question is if MHW fail on consoles \ PC will how much it will effect the IP and that is anyone guess right now.

I was talking about MHXX localization.

I think the timing will depend on how good \ bad MHW does .

If Capcom is waiting for MHW performance to start developing a contingency plan, they are really screwed if it doesn't work out.

19/20 is a bit late...pretty sure we see the mayor shift happening next year after this Holiday season.

What I didn't like is that we are getting late 2018 announcements without Switch been considered, even if the game doesn't look that taxing.

Lelou

I'm really intrigued to know the future performance of dq on switch.
I'm preatty sure that small devs in japan are already planning a lot of things for this console, but it seems that big one still don't know how to move.

I was talking about MHXX localization.

My bad .

If Capcom is waiting for MHW performance to start developing a contingency plan, they are really screwed if it doesn't work out.

I sure there contingency plan is reuse MHW assets for a switch MH game.
I talking about how fast a new one will come out after MHW
If MHW does good there is no rush but if it does bad they going to want to bring out a switch game asap.

Vena

With the Q&A up in English, I think it's safe to say that Capcom had zero plans in mind and expected failure. To go back to the previous discussion I was having with Kyoufu.

Also MHXX is a "test"... What a stupid company.

Eolz

So at around a 50 million user base the Switch is no longer an unknown or risky platform for ports that typically sell in the millions? Guess that's what 3 years down the road, so maybe in another 2-3 years after those 3 years (game development and porting takes time) people will be more interested in the platform? Shame in another 6 years the hardware will be feeling a bit more dated, but maybe there will be a "new" Switch revision with a better chip by then.

I guess I'm wondering at around what level / userbase Switch becomes a known variable for 3rd parties that they care about, instead of an unknown one they don't feel comfortable on.

Wasn't Nintendo saying 10M was the baseline that would attract most publishers or am I misremembering something?

Wasn't Nintendo saying 10M was the baseline that would attract most publishers or am I misremembering something?
Sort of, but they're just trying to talk up their target of selling 10M in the space of a year, not 10M total.
It's more about showing it's not a WiiU-like flop.

If Capcom thinks MHXX Switch is an accurate way to judge the viability of the platform, they're even dumber than I thought.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Capcom thinks MHXX Switch is an accurate way to judge the viability of the platform, they're even dumber than I thought.

if you're going to do a proper test, at the very least test it worldwide.

Kikorin

The only obstacle between 10 millions and Switch at this point is Nintendo itself. If they'll produce 10 millions, they'll sell 10 millions, if they'll do more, they'll sell more. An holyday with Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8D, Zelda 2nd DLC, ecc... will do huge numbers all around the world, but I think could do great especially in Japan where even Wii U made incredible numbers during holyday.

The only obstacle between 10 millions and Switch at this point is Nintendo itself. If they'll produce 10 millions, they'll sell 10 millions, if they'll do more, they'll sell more. An holyday with Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8D, Zelda 2nd DLC, ecc... will do huge numbers all around the world, but I think could do great especially in Japan where even Wii U made incredible numbers during holyday.

Nintendo would be dumb if they set expectations higher than they're able to produce. Not a single hair on my head is thinking about the possibility of them failing to hit that target.

Kikorin

I think Capcom is not that dumb to evaluate the potential of a MH on Switch with XX. Or if they are using it like a "test", better have they're expectations in check, because would be crazy expect 3DS numbers with this install base and a game that has already been released 2 times in the last 2 years.

Amazon continues with Switch restocks the entire week. Bic Camera shipments will give an idea for this week.

Code:
+-----------------+-----+---------+---------+---------+
|      Week       | BIC |   M-C   |   FAM   |   DEN   |
| May 22 - May 28 |  93 |  27.146 |  27.440 |  24.612 |
| May 29 - Jun 04 |  84 |  23.524 |  25.274 |  24.735 |
| Jun 05 - Jun 11 |  83 |  27.291 |  28.293 |  29.020 |
| Jun 12 - Jun 18 |  99 |  37.709 |  49.440 |  43.850 |
| Jun 19 - Jun 25 |  59 |  22.361 |  26.964 |  22.495 |
| Jun 26 - Jul 02 |  54 |  25.805 |  24.736 |  25.442 |
| Jul 03 - Jul 09 | 120 |  26.256 |  36.143 |  32.769 |
| Jul 10 - Jul 16 |  63 |  31.906 |  25.154 |  24.462 |
| Jul 17 - Jul 23 | 138+|  98.999 | 102.581 |  93.611 |+ preordered Splatoon 2 bundles
| Jul 24 - Jul 30 | 500 |  89.314 | 105.697 |  90.522 |
| Jul 31 - Aug 06 |     |         |         |         |

Wow, that would be extremely good news if the dropoff in Switch units for this week isn't too bad. If their increased production results in 2-3x the previous baseline that would probably indicate they can hit way more than their 10m unit forecast for this FY, maybe even closer to 15m. I guess it depends on if these trends are also true worldwide (which they seem to be for NA at least).

With the Q&A up in English, I think it's safe to say that Capcom had zero plans in mind and expected failure. To go back to the previous discussion I was having with Kyoufu.

Also MHXX is a "test"... What a stupid company.

Yeah... I still can't believe this.

Kyoufu

The only thing I got out of the Switch support Q&A was that they're looking forward to its install base increasing (for obvious reasons).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, DW9 isn't a PS4 esclusive.
Outside of Japan, in fact, it has just been confirmed to arrive also on...Xbox One and PC.

I will not add any additional comment to avoid drama.

D.Lo

I think Capcom is not that dumb to evaluate the potential of a MH on Switch with XX. Or if they are using it like a "test", better have they're expectations in check, because would be crazy expect 3DS numbers with this install base and a game that has already been released 2 times in the last 2 years.
Capcom Q&A 2018:

"Q: Monster Hunter has had disappointing results in Japan compared to historical sales, what are the plans for the future?"
"A: While Monster Hunter World, which took several years and 30 million dollars to make, sold 800,000 units in Japan, it sold an additional 400,000 units overseas, showing international growth of the franchise we were aiming for. We expect it to sell another 23 million as a legacy title this year. Monster Hunter XX, a cheap port of an expansion to a spinoff, sold only 400,000 units and was not released overseas. As a result, it's clear the future of Monster Hunter is on PS4, so as you have seen we have announced MHWG and MH6 for PS4 in 2019. We will continue to evaluate the performance of releases on Switch via the also announced Monster Hunter: Test Chronicles light gun game."

Outside of Japan, in fact, it has just been confirmed to arrive also on...Xbox One and PC.

Strategy must be working for K-T because they keep doing this for the majority of their non-Gust releases.

sense

Not sure why you thought it would be exclusive. Steam was always a given. Xbox is a little bit of surprise but this game seems ambitious that they probably went the extra mile to make a port for that too.

Capcom Q&A 2018:

"Q: Monster Hunter has had disappointing results in Japan compared to historical sales, what are the plans for the future?"
"A: While Monster Hunter World, which took several years and 30 million dollars to make, sold 800,000 units in Japan, it sold an additional 400,000 units overseas, showing international growth of the franchise we were aiming for. We expect it to sell another 23 million as a legacy title this year. Monster Hunter XX, a cheap port of an expansion to a spinoff, sold only 400,000 units and was not released overseas. As a result, it's clear the future of Monster Hunter is on PS4, so as you have seen we have announced MHWG and MH6 for PS4 in 2019. We will continue to evaluate the performance of releases on Switch via the also announced Monster Hunter: Test Chronicles light gun game."

Probably what's going to happen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Not sure why you thought it would be exclusive. Steam was always a given. Xbox is a little bit of surprise but this game seems ambitious that they probably went the extra mile to make a port for that too.

It shouldn't be surprising. Xbox has been getting mainline Dynasty Warriors long before PC.

Zhao_Yun

I think Dynasty Warriors itself has always been on Xbox consoles since 3. It's only the other Warriors games which are often exclusive to PS platforms.

There's quite some Warriors games and spin-offs available for Xbox One, so I'm not too surprised. It's still a PS4 exclusive in Japan (and Asia?).

SE won. Tabata won. FFXV won. Most importantly, Noctis won.

tumblr_oi5n7so43l1sq41kno1_540.gif

Game has quality, and making bank.

Wow so PS4 SKU is actually in shortage relative to 3DS. Seems like retailer expectations were surpassed as well.

noctis dies dude lol

Fisico

...is this a legit spoiler?

Ok so I didn't understand the GIF before so I guess that's a double spoil for me.
What the hell.

As for mpl90 well being too emotionally invested in something often ends up badly, it's even worse if you're rooting for something so that was bound to happen sooner or later.
Though he had a point on the difficulty you may encounter while trying to discuss seriously a subject here, it may be redundant but having some dismissive posts like the one moor did really hurts the overall MC thread sometimes.

Capcom Q&A 2018:

Is this supposed to be funny?

Switch already has MHXX and this is within 6 months of its launch. It will obviously get more Monster Hunter games down the line, no shit. But the userbase has to be there to support it too and this will take time.

Capcom is is no hurry to release a 'new' Monster Hunter on Switch anytime soon.

noctis dies dude lol
Spoiler tag that shit dude.

Hamlet dies too. (No its not a real spoiler, chill bro)
Regardless of the fact that it is a spoiler or not, you shouldn't just throw out random stuff like that outta nowhere. It is not even remotely funny.

Alrus

I mean the whole "install base has to grow too" is kinda weird. The 3DS had an original MH game released for it in its first year and MH4 was announced in its first year too, when the install base wasn't anything crazy either.

Install base is not the reason at play here.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I mean the whole "install base has to grow too" is kinda weird. The 3DS had an original MH game released for it in its first year and MH4 was announced in its first year too, when the install base wasn't anything crazy either.

Not to mention, the trend is pretty clear in Japan that the install base is on pace to grow rapidly.

Kyoufu

There are two teams who work on MH. Tsujimoto's team who make the numbered games and Ichinose's team who make the Portable/Cross games. Tsujimoto's team is working on World for PS4/Xbox/PC and part of Ichinose's team just released Double Cross. That team will need some time to prepare a new Switch game.

3DS got two new games quickly because both teams were focused on one platform at the time.

3DS launched in Japan in early 2011 and MH4 was released on September 2013, which by that time 3DS shipped 13 million units (in Japan).

3DS was successor to a popular platform. When you come from a failed console (Wii U), companies won't have much confidence with your new product (Switch). This is going to change soon with Switch but as of right now, as fdkn said, there is no reason to still keep salty over a decision that was made in 2013 when the future was uncertain.

Monster Hunter World on PS4,Xbox One and PC is here to stay while there is zero reason to doubt another Monster Hunter might make its way to Switch after the success of XX. The post I quoted was trying to be over-the-top at Capcom while in the case of Switch, I am seeing more support from them now that USFII is successful. But this support will take time.

Not to mention, the trend is pretty clear in Japan that the install base is on pace to grow rapidly.
It's clear? I mean people aren't even sure of the Switch's performance in its first year.

Seriously 3g and 4 were announced when the 3ds was at 1.7 Million in sales in it's 7th month on the market after a hard price cut. The idea Capcom couldn't announce brand new games for the system is funny.

Top Bottom