• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Busaiku

The volumes still sell pretty alright.
Not amazing, but it's still like the 6th best selling Weekly Jump series, behind Bleach.

The last few Toriko games have all done 100k+, and they weren't hunting action games, I think.

L Thammy

Phantasy Star Nova probably runs on the PSO2 engine which the 3DS would have a hard time running and God Eater 2 is probably skipping the 3DS because 1. they already have 2 SKUs (PSP and Vita) 2. they want to avoid the platform with MonHun because they're releasing in the same year. I don't think Sony has to moneyhat anything, it's not like these are unreasonable.

Wasn't God Eater 2 confirmed on PSP before the Monster Hunter 3G+4 announcement and before the Vita and 3DS' fates were known? It could even be possible that they wanted to follow the leader and were caught off guard by the switch, but they figured that a Vita port would be safer than going 3DS/PSV or 3DS only.

I think another issue for the Wii U is that we're past the hardware design phase.

This generation basically all their competitors wooed devs even on the core hardware design level. Nintendo no longer has that option.

I think this is a big thing. If Nintendo communicated with third parties more during hardware development and showed a result, it might send a big message. Of course, the landscape of gaming may (and probably will) be even more unfavourable by then.

AniHawk

PS4? and like I said before, they are launching this first in Japan because they aren't getting PS4 first. The games that you named are 40$+ games(actually even more than that in japan). People who are interested in those games are going to buy the vita, not the vita tv. Outside of blockbusters, Japan does not fuck with consoles anymore, they would prefer to be able to play their games anywhere. Vita tv is a multimedia device designed for gaikai in mind, that vita shit is just extra. The vita shit is just them trying salvage a flopping device. Saying that handheld device without a screen is Sony's plan for japan as far as consoles in concerned is just nonsense.

and yet sony's giving it basically top billing in japan this year, while the extremely western-heavy ps4 is launching in february. the whole thing with the ps4 launching so late seems like sony admitting they give up on consoles in japan. i feel that if the vita tv was made with a western focus, we would have a release date and a price, and maybe it would come out alongside killzone, or maybe there would be a bundle with the ps3. instead.

it's kinda like nintendo making the 2ds only for american and european markets. those are the markets where it will benefit the most. it will probably come out in japan, but it's not a priority.

The volumes still sell pretty alright.
Not amazing, but it's still like the 6th best selling Weekly Jump series, behind Bleach.

The last few Toriko games have all done 100k+, and they weren't hunting action games, I think.

It goes One Piece > HxH > Naruto > Bleach > Kuroko's Basketball > Gintama > Toriko

Busaiku

Wasn't God Eater 2 confirmed on PSP before the Monster Hunter 3G+4 announcement and before the Vita and 3DS' fates were known? It could even be possible that they wanted to follow the leader and were caught off guard by the switch, but they figured that a Vita port would be safer than going 3DS/PSV or 3DS only.

They were announced just a few days before God Eater 2 was.

B.O.O.M

and yet sony's giving it basically top billing in japan this year, while the extremely western-heavy ps4 is launching in february. the whole thing with the ps4 launching so late seems like sony admitting they give up on consoles in japan. i feel that if the vita tv was made with a western focus, we would have a release date and a price, and maybe it would come out alongside killzone, or maybe there would be a bundle with the ps3. instead.

it's kinda like nintendo making the 2ds only for american and european markets. those are the markets where it will benefit the most. it will probably come out in japan, but it's not a priority.

Let's not get crazy here. it just means sony isn't considering JP market to be the priority now..and they are absolutely right. And it's just 3 months. Not really what I would say 'so late'. If this was a year late then I would have agreed with you.

L Thammy

Let's not get crazy here. it just means sony isn't considering JP market to be the priority now..and they are absolutely right. And it's just 3 months. Not really what I would say 'so late'. If this was a year late then I would have agreed with you.

A fair number of people in this thread think that PS4 will have a slow start, so it's fair to be concerned. Problems in the short term can create problems later - especially when you rely heavily on third parties that can see those problems.

Not saying that I think PS4 will bomb or anything, but it probably isn't good if it takes too long to really kick off.

ohlawd

There's Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII coming this November.

That should move a good amount of units.
Japan's lucky to get this game next year. I want this game bad.

XIII-2 LTD didn't even come close to XIII LTD. Wonder how much lower it'll go :(

Busaiku

It goes One Piece > HxH > Naruto > Bleach > Kuroko's Basketball > Gintama > Toriko

Forgot about Gintama, but Kuroko's Basketball consistently outdoes Bleach nowadays.
Didn't count Hunter X Hunter since we get 1 volume 2 years, but I was thinking Assassination Classroom.

donny2112

3DS software in MC Top 20 - 61,482
3DS hardware in MC - 79,191

*nods head*

Take it there's some game or something coming out soon, huh? :p

Japan's lucky to get this game next year. I want this game bad.

XIII-2 LTD didn't even come close to XIII LTD. Wonder how much lower it'll go :(

Top five best selling PS3 games:

1. Final Fantasy XIII (+ Ultimate Hits)
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (+ PlayStation 3 The Best + Legacy Collection)
3. Resident Evil 5 (+ Gold Edition + PlayStation 3 The Best + Move Special Pack)
4. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (+ Digital Content Selection)
5. Resident Evil 6

Considering how FF13-2 moved >850K units, I think Lightning Returns has great potential to move >400K in Japan.

In that case, the game would be considered one of the best selling PS3 titles.

jeremy1456

Let's not get crazy here; it was easy to predict the fates of both the 3DS and Vita from the moment they were announced.

jeremy1456

You say this, but the fact remains that many toted Vita as a 3DS-killer when it was announced, in GAF included, hahaha.

Even with Monster Hunter there really was no way the Vita ever stood a chance against Nintendo with their handheld centric lineup.

The unreasonable people were simply the most vocal.

Busaiku

I think the point was that most Hunting Action games are on Vita still because most developers still expected Vita to be PSP level, with Monster Hunter in tow.

ohlawd

Top five best selling PS3 games:

1. Final Fantasy XIII (+ Ultimate Hits)
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (+ PlayStation 3 The Best + Legacy Collection)
3. Resident Evil 5 (+ Gold Edition + PlayStation 3 The Best + Move Special Pack)
4. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (+ Digital Content Selection)
5. Resident Evil 6

Considering how FF13-2 moved >850K units, I think Lightning Returns has great potential to move >400K in Japan.

In that case, the game would be considered one of the best selling PS3 titles.
ugh lol 400k doesn't sound decent to me :(

but even that amount looks decent on a top 10 with no sales numbers.

saichi

Forgot about Gintama, but Kuroko's Basketball consistently outdoes Bleach nowadays.
Didn't count Hunter X Hunter since we get 1 volume 2 years, but I was thinking Assassination Classroom.

off the topic:

1. What's the deal with HxH now? there were 2 year break and it came back and it stopped again? Also, never knew that it sells more than Naruto. always thought Naruto is the clear #2 behind OP.

2. Assassination Classroom's story setup is very interesting. Maybe they can make a hunting to fight the teacher.

Busaiku

It's been in perpetual hiatuses since 2004.
The only thing's that changed are the length of those hiatuses (they've gotten longer and longer).

It all correlates with Dragon Quest releases.

Cwarrior

03./01. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.29} (¥7.980) - 19.720 / 445.437 (-95%)
05./02. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.08.27} (¥3.300) - 12.336 / 196.354 (-93%)

I've never seen drops this big. That's insane. I wonder how FFXIV will do going forward (and also how the PS4 version will sell).

We know why jojo dropped but why did ff14 drop off a cliff too?

It goes One Piece > HxH > Naruto > Bleach > Kuroko's Basketball > Gintama > Toriko > gintama

Toriko has outsold gintama in 2010,2011 and 2012.

B.O.O.M

A fair number of people in this thread think that PS4 will have a slow start, so it's fair to be concerned. Problems in the short term can create problems later - especially when you rely heavily on third parties that can see those problems.

Not saying that I think PS4 will bomb or anything, but it probably isn't good if it takes too long to really kick off.

Oh I'm sure it will be a slow start for the PS4 in JP too. Which is exactly why they need to a. prioritize EU/NA regions first b. Launch in JP once games more suitable to that market are ready, to avoid any major droughts.

But it definitely doesn't mean sony is giving up on the JP market...chances are they are relatively confident about it

legend166

So if we make the assumption that Nintendo do not reverse the horrendous sales of the Wii U, and this time next year it's still selling under 10k, how long until Nintendo drop it?

Would we be looking at a holiday 2015 launch of a new console? What are they going to do next?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, on today's edition of Square Enix announcements, we have new media.

Final Fantasy Agito (iOS/Android):

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XibctmwA1V0

Social RPG, updated with new content every 2 weeks.

sEAgOsq.jpg

Cgpje7b.jpg

r7jQ7Lb.jpg

Given this seems pretty high effort (development resources wise), and that Tabata is producing this while co-directing FFXV, I assume they're not making Type-1.

So if we make the assumption that Nintendo do not reverse the horrendous sales of the Wii U, and this time next year it's still selling under 10k, how long until Nintendo drop it?

Would we be looking at a holiday 2015 launch of a new console? What are they going to do next?

Supposing the Wii U completely, dramatically flops throughout this holiday season (even worse than our already tempered expectations), I can see Iwata ousted by March 2014 or March 2015, depending on how much the Board and investors are willing to tolerate his excuses.

As long as Iwata is in charge, the Wii U is not going anywhere. The console was all his idea. He needs to keep it alive in order to save face.

But with Iwata gone, Nintendo might quickly kill off the Wii U (like Sega did with the Dreamcast---they'll still introduce new games, but they'll stop making hardware), and focus on the 3DS for the remainder of the gen. They may even dabble more into mobile or free-to-play types of content.

It all depends on where the successor decides to lead the company. Presumably, a successor to Iwata would pursue common areas of profitability that other Japanese gaming companies are exploring. But without Iwata running the company, I'm really not confident in Nintendo choosing to go the home console route anymore. Not when the future of the home console industry in Japan is looking doubtful, and not since the Western marketplace will soon become saturated with the PS4 and Xbox One.

At this point they would have to absolutely rush to get something out by Holiday 2015. They'll probably put all cylinders forward into the successor of the 3DS, but it probably won't get here that early.

Anth0ny

I think there's no chance they'll kill the Wii U early, even if Iwata is out by the end of next year. They'll ride it out to 15 million consoles sold thanks to Smash, Kart and 3D Mario, then introduce the successor in 2016.

I think there's no chance they'll kill the Wii U early, even if Iwata is out by the end of next year. They'll ride it out to 15 million consoles sold thanks to Smash, Kart and 3D Mario, then introduce the successor in 2016.

Yup, In this day in age killing off hardware is basically killing off your userbase. We live in a much faster paced, connected industry than when the Dreamcast got axed. Consumers won't give a Nintendo a do-over, they will simply be done with them altogether. Nintendo has enough power behind it to push a respectable enough userbase. They will stick to that.

Keep in mind, this is supposing that it flops REALLY damn hard in the holiday season. Worse than any of us could reasonably expect.

And if they were to discontinue it, it would be in gradations, like Sega did with the Dreamcast. They would indicate a discontinuation, they would stop producing hardware after a certain date, they would mark down unsold stock to incredibly low prices in order to offload inventory, and they would continue releasing games for at least a year after the announcement.

It wouldn't be a Virtual Boy-esque, sudden discontinuation. Consumers would be eased into it.

So if it happens sometime in 2014, we'd still receive Smash Bros. U in Holiday 2014. First-party games would still come out through 2015.

Well, I will admit I was wrong about the Wii U. Now lets hope that Zelda, Taiko, and Mario can help it over the holidays, otherwise youch.

duckroll

Well, I will admit I was wrong about the Wii U. Now lets hope that Zelda, Taiko, and Mario can help it over the holidays, otherwise youch.

Can't see Zelda helping at all. Taiko could do well for itself, but I don't see it moving hardware either. Mario is the only hope. Let's see if Japan cares for a 3D Land -> 3D World rehash, instead of an original title. Doesn't seem like they cared much for NSMB2 -> NSMB U.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can't see Zelda helping at all. Taiko could do well for itself, but I don't see it moving hardware either. Mario is the only hope. Let's see if Japan cares for a 3D Land -> 3D World rehash, instead of an original title. Doesn't seem like they cared much for NSMB2 -> NSMB U.
I think we're kind of seeing the reverse of the PSP situation outside of Japan.

Generally people didn't want to buy PSP versions of console games in the West. I have to wonder if having NSMB2/SM3DL/MK7 on 3DS impacts the sales potential of NSMBU/SM3DW/MK8 on Wii U, given that Japan is handheld land, even if the games are shinier when going this direction.

:lol, sony is pushing it in japan because PS4 isn't launching there this fall. PS4 isn't launching there this fall because
1. The games aren't ready
2. The west is much more important than the Japanese market for consoles.
3. They don't want the Japanese to feel salty about getting left out

Sony isn't pushing Vita TV because they have to push PS4 and why would you bring up killzone? 40$ games aren't going to sell this console, you would have been better off bringing up minecraft. The people who are interested in games like killzone aren't going to be playing them on a vita tv.

PS4 will have MGSV, FFXV, KH 3, Gundam, Deep down, Resident Evil, Yakuza ect. PS4 will have titles that Vita could only dream of and they are basically exclusives in Japan. I have yet to hear anything about the Japanese being hyped over micro consoles in Japan, but in the West you got Amazon, Google, and Apple gearing up. That's what Vita TV is for, it's meant to compete with those. 2DS is aimed at the west but that's because dedicated handhelds are dying over here so they need to make it hem as cheap as possible. The type of games that the Japanese want to play on consoles isn't on Vita TV and never will be. When Vita gets MGSV, FFXV, KH 3, (a exclusive high budget) Gundam, Deep down, Resident Evil, Yakuza ect. I'll believe you.

FYI, Nintendo's Q2 earnings release is now scheduled for October 30th.

It will cover the six-month sales period from April 1st, 2013 through September 30th, 2013.

And, following historical precedent, it will most likely include a financial results briefing by Mr. Iwata along with it (outline + presentation + Q&A).

I'd say Zelda is going to do about 40K - 50K it's first week and there might be enough fans of the series to push hardware, as they won't necessarily have got a Wii U yet, considering the released games.

I dunno why you use the word rehash instead of sequel for World. As opposed to 2 --> U, there's not only more time between releases, but there's also quite a bit of new/improved stuff. Land was also popular enough in the country, compared to Galaxy etc, that people might be more interested in a sequel. A problem is that the fanbase may overlap a lot with the people who bought NSMBU, which may not push units.

Taiko may not push hardware on its own, but with Wii Party U it might make it a popular choice for families over the new year's break.

duckroll

FYI, Nintendo's Q2 earnings release is now scheduled for October 30th.

It will cover the six-month sales period from April 1st, 2013 through September 30th, 2013.

And, following historical precedent, it will most likely include a financial results briefing by Mr. Iwata along with it (outline + presentation + Q&A).

Is this the financial briefing where Last Story and Xenoblade's title was announced officially years back?

JoeM86

If I may ask, what makes it a rehash over an original title? Everything about it seems new except the concept of 3D Mario with 2D style mechanics.

legend166

At this point I'm struggling to see the console getting to 15 million. It's selling so much worse than the GameCube ever did, especially in the US where the GameCube was able to prove itself as a somewhat viable software ecosystem.

Selling 5k a week in Japan at this point is a humongous disaster. Iwata's handling of Nintendo's console division from around 2009 onwards has been pathetic on pretty much every level. He couldn't have done worse if he tried.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh okay. Just wanted to know where to set expectations. Thanks.

These days Nintendo has largely moved the announcements into Directs shortly before the briefings and then focus on their strategy changes in the meetings themselves.

If I may ask, what makes it a rehash over an original title? Everything about it seems new except the concept of 3D Mario with 2D style mechanics.

I think he means in the sense that it isn't a brand new core concept like Mario 64 or Galaxy were, but is instead a sequel to SM3DL on the Wii U.

For broad spectrum consumers who didn't finish all the content in SM3DL, they might feel content with the game they already own, since they have a similar experience already available and haven't used up all the content.

duckroll

Clarification: By rehash I mean that it's a continuation of something which was popularized on the 3DS, now being brought to the WiiU, as opposed to a brand new take on Mario uniquely for the system. It's not a knock on the game's content or quality, just the appeal potential.

I think one of the biggest challenges the WiiU faces is that nothing on it feels fresh, and while the Wii benefited a lot from getting adaptations of DS franchises, it's harder for the WiiU because the Wii already established a large base for itself with Wii Sports and so on, while the WiiU is struggling to sell units.

JoeM86

Clarification: By rehash I mean that it's a continuation of something which was popularized on the 3DS, now being brought to the WiiU, as opposed to a brand new take on Mario uniquely for the system. It's not a knock on the game's content or quality, just the appeal potential.

Ok, that's fair enough. I was concerned you were using rehash in the derogatory manner that people often use here.

Top Bottom