• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)

QaaQer

Right. I'm not seeing a stellar launch lineup right now. Frankly purely from a sales perspective I'm doubtful anything from that list will reach NSMB U levels.

I'd be astounded if anything came close to NSMBU.

Japan = Tier 3 PS4 country has really driven home just how fucked the home console industry is there.

Maybe Korea can step up to the console plate like they have done for TVs, phones, appliance, and to a lesser extent cars. Krpg has a nice ring to it.

L Thammy

If there is no significant benefit to having both the 3DS and Wii U versions, the 3DS version will probably kill the Wii U one.

zroid

Banned
Japan = Tier 3 PS4 country has really driven home just how fucked the home console industry is there.

Maybe Korea can step up to the console plate like they have done for TVs, phones, appliance, and to a lesser extent cars. Krpg has a nice ring to it.

Haha, I have actually been thinking about this for a while. Why hasn't Samsung taken a stab at it? I imagine they probably were considering it at some point. Maybe they still are.

That and Smash Bros. But I'm concerned about how the 3DS version will affect Wii U. Sakurai implied the 3DS version may be released after Wii U's, and frankly that may not be a bad idea. Gotta sell some of those boxes somehow.

That would be probably for the best but judging by Sakurai's comments on Smash Bros. 3DS being a more personalized experience, I could see them focusing on the West with Smash Bros. U. Kinda hard to say what they'll do when we know so little about it.

sörine

Banned
Right. I'm not seeing a stellar launch lineup right now. Frankly purely from a sales perspective I'm doubtful anything from that list will reach NSMB U levels.
I don't think any of them will reach Nintendo Land or Monster Hunter 3G HD either. Yakuza Isshin seems like the only one with a chance.

I'd be astounded if anything came close to NSMBU.

Nah, PC has a stranglehold on South Korea but I heard that Sony has something similar to the PC Bangs.

Opiate

You can reconfirm something when there is a big or drastic change.
As of now Pikmin 3 was the only little push (although sales were harmed by the general bad WiiU state fo affair).

I do not agree. Time is itself a reconfirmation; the longer Wii U goes selling at this pace, the increasingly less likely any substantive turnaround becomes. Every week of nothing happening is a big problem for the Wii U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So with these Monster Hunter 4 sales, do you think there will be more titles along the lines of Monster Hunter? To me, I see the previous best-selling titles to be of a different demographic than Monster Hunter, so maybe MH4 can help other games in the future (probably like 9-12 months from now).

Anyways impressive 3DS/Monster Hunter sales. Everyone else's sales were fairly pitiful. Then again, I wonder whether they had separate lines to buy 3DSes & MH4 vs. other consoles/titles. If all your favorite electronic shops were completely full, you probably wouldn't go in to buy anything else right?

MH4 sales almost matching MHP3rd is insane.

Does this mean no more Monster Hunter Portable games?
I think it's surpassed it given MHP3rd was tracked for 5 days vs. 2 days for MH4. Especially considering it's rocketing up the eShop charts.

It'll be interesting to track. The Xmas boost will put it over the top launch aligned perhaps.

L Thammy

So with these Monster Hunter 4 sales, do you think there will be more titles along the lines of Monster Hunter? To me, I see the previous best-selling titles to be of a different demographic than Monster Hunter, so maybe MH4 can help other games in the future (probably like 9-12 months from now).

Gaist Crusher?

3ds_vita_mh34tmef2.png

It's stuff like this that makes me think that Nintendo didn't have to put money on the table for Capcom to move to 3DS. If they want their audience to grow, move to where there are other things pulling in an audience. It seems bizarre to me how easily people talk about Nintendo's brilliant moneyhat.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet comparisons, as of September 18th, 2013

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl - 709pt + 536pt = 1245pt
[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver - 712pt + 584pt = 1296pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black / White - 1190pt + 1058pt = 2348pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 737pt + 640pt = 1377pt
[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 687pt + 678pt = 1365pt

[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 - 145pt
[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate - 56pt
[PSV] Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate - out of chart

[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki - 46pt + 30pt = 76pt
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki - 46pt + 36pt (minimum) = 82pt
[PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 37pt + 27pt = 64pt
[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 24pt (last update); other SKU unknown

[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 75pt
[PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack - 108pt

[WIIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - nope

There's really not much point to that series existing anymore, especially now that the series is truly handheld-focused.

Before it was:

MH2 (PS2) -> MHP2 (PSP) -> MHP2G (PSP)
MH3 (Wii) -> MHP3 (PSP) -> MHP3G (3DS)

Now it's:

MH4 (3DS) -> MH4G (3DS)

Seems like a lost source of revenue stream.

QaaQer

Gaist Crusher?

It's stuff like this that makes me think that Nintendo didn't have to put money on the table for Capcom to move to 3DS. If they want their audience to grow, move to where there are other things pulling in an audience. It seems bizarre to me how easily people talk about Nintendo's brilliant moneyhat.

haha, yeah no doubt. They OWN that market, why'd they have to moneyhat anything?

Riki

Wow and a lot people were saying that mon han 4 couldn't match mon han 3rd in sales. Just wow
MH3 also has a lot of naysayers. People crying it was the death of the series and would never hit one million.
Makes sense they would do the same with MH4.

wrowa

Haha, I have actually been thinking about this for a while. Why hasn't Samsung taken a stab at it? I imagine they probably were considering it at some point. Maybe they still are.

Why would anyone want to right now? The traditional console space is not a business anyone wants to be involved if you have the chance. Putting out a competetive console is extremely expensive, risky and ultimately not really worth it.

I guess we are to see some new "alternative" means to play games on the TV, though. Amazon is breeding something, there's the nebulous Apple TV and if Apple is going into that direction, you can bet that Samsung will indeed follow. But I doubt any of those consoles will comparable to PS4 and XB1 in terms of horsepower -- which doesn't mean that they might not be more successful in the future.

DaBoss

Before it was:

Now it's:

MH4 (3DS) -> MH4G (3DS)

MH3 (Wii) -> MHP3 (PSP) -> MHP3 HD (PS3) -> MHP3G (3DS) -> MH3G HD (Wii U)

Filled in the gaps.

Not really much is lost considering the amount of sales it will achieve.

It's also safe to say an HD port will come eventually.

Before it was:

Now it's:

MH4 (3DS) -> MH4G (3DS)

well there is an almost inevitable wii u upressing of either this or a g version at some point, though the home console games were never on the same sales scale as the handheld ones, only tri on wii broke a million

What is the Ltd of the most sold mon Hom game?

Also how did the soul games (dark demon) sell in Japan?

I wonder what the next big thing is going to be in Japan? The latest unexpected game was puzzle and dragons right?

L Thammy

Before it was:

Now it's:

MH4 (3DS) -> MH4G (3DS)

I would think the bigger lost source of revenue stream would be the move from paid online (MH3) to free online (MH4). However, with Frontier finally moving to PS3, maybe that will pick up some of the slack.

I would think the bigger lost source of revenue stream would be the move from paid online (MH3) to free online (MH4). However, with Frontier finally moving to PS3, maybe that will pick up some of the slack.

the online fees (i believe) were paid to an outside company to provide the servers, with MH4 Nintendo is taking care of that

Bruno MB

[WIIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - nope

Only 9 days left until its release and it is still out of the top 20 (below 25 preorders). Things are looking grim for this title.

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl - 709pt + 536pt = 1245pt
[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver - 712pt + 584pt = 1296pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black / White - 1190pt + 1058pt = 2348pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 737pt + 640pt = 1377pt
[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 687pt + 678pt = 1365pt

I wonder how X/Y will sell. BW debuted over a million higher than DP but the they sold about the same launch aligned.

DaBoss

What is the Ltd of the most sold mon Hom game?

Also how did the soul games (dark demon) sell in Japan?

I wonder what the next big thing is going to be in Japan? The latest unexpected game was puzzle and dragons right?

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP sold around ~4.8 million.

Demon's Souls: 168,816
Dark Souls: 334,302 + 80,949

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Please stop killing the Vita, Capcom. End this bullshit and release MonHun for Vita as well, so the portable console industry doesn't sink further and further into a one system monopoly.

While you're at why don't you ask square enix, kojima and every other 3rd party developer to throw the Wii u a bone so that the home console market doesn't sink further into irrelevance?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Only 9 days left until its release and it is still out of the top 20 (below 25 preorders). Things are looking grim for this title.

If it continues like that, things are looking grim for every upcoming Nintendo title. Wii U could be the first Nintendo console where even Nintendo titles suffer. The difficulties Wii U's encountering worldwide, but even more in Japan (which is shocking, but true) and the fact Nintendo looks at the home market first make me fear this could be the last Nintendo home console, unless something amazing happens.

Heck, Wii Fit U at retail is coming on February, in Japan. This Holiday they have just Taiko and Super Mario 3D World (unless DK gets a sudden 2013 release). It's pathetic.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I do not agree. Time is itself a reconfirmation; the longer Wii U goes selling at this pace, the increasingly less likely any substantive turnaround becomes. Every week of nothing happening is a big problem for the Wii U.

To expand more on this Nintendo between others surely paid letting Wii dead for almost 2 years, same with Sony having PSP dead in west I don't remember since when. Wii U and Vita were successors of irrelevant systems. 3DS launched when DS was still very strong and that helped the famous 3DS turnaround (that wasn't that much of turnaround outside Japan).

That's probably the reason Vita still has a chance in Japan finding an audience and making Sony some money. But in west the system is finished. As for Wii U... let's just say Nintendo must be happy if it hits GameCube numbers.

Busaiku

I wonder if Gaist Crusher can get big.
It's following both Monster Hunter and Pokemon, so it'll have both audiences together.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
To expand more on this Nintendo between others surely paid letting Wii dead for almost 2 years.

Bingo. Nintendo banked everything on capitalizing and repeating their Wii success but let the platform die for two years, especially in Japan.

Top Bottom