• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2015 (Sep 21 - Sep 27)

Oh I never said it wasn't coming to other platforms than those two. It's just that X1 is dead in Japan, S-E seems more than open to develop big projects on NX, PC isn't mattering that much so far for S-E and Japan, etc. 2019 seems too far though.

Again, I'm talking about Japan, you know, what this thread is about. Stealing PS4's FFVIIR thunder in other regions is laughable.
Did I miss something regarding the bolded? All I have seen so far is that SE is willing to bet their whole future on PS4 and not NX. The only "big project" that they have announced so far is Dragon Quest XI, and that too was a slip from Hori and not an actual official announcement. Dragon Quest X's success on Wii U doesn't make it unlikely to see the series continue on NX i.e DQ XI. But what other "big projects" are there?

Why just stop at FF VII then? Why not say FFXV and KH 3 and KH 1.5+2.5 are in development for NX too. I mean NX appears to have a lot of potential, right?

Secondly, FF VII: Remake is/will be a timed PS4 exclusive. Timed means it won't get released on any other platform other than PS4 at launch. Which means there won't be any thunder to steal when it gets a late port on other platforms. Late ports won't help in selling hardware, even in Japan.

Ōkami

Splatoon in famitsu, 801.110 ( 709.711 retail, 91.399 digital)

Wii Party U 811.450 (799.873 retail, 11.577 digital)

Wii Party U is the third all time best selling Wii U game on famitsu.

Eolz

Did I miss something regarding the bolded? All I have seen so far is that SE is willing to bet their whole future on PS4 and not NX. The only "big project" that they have announced so far is Dragon Quest XI, and that too was a slip from Hori and not an actual official announcement. Dragon Quest X's success on Wii U doesn't make it unlikely to see the series continue on NX i.e DQ XI. But what other "big projects" are there?

Why just stop at FF VII then? Why not say FFXV and KH 3 and KH 1.5+2.5 are in development for NX too. I mean NX appears to have a lot of potential, right?

Secondly, FF VII: Remake is/will be a timed PS4 exclusive. Timed means it won't get released on any other platform other than PS4 at launch. Which means there won't be any thunder to steal when it gets a late port on other platforms. Late ports won't help in selling hardware, even in Japan.

FFXIV and DQX as well. When a publisher is ready to spend money to even make ports of games of that size, it's usually open to more than that.
You never know for 3, there's been a fanbase on Nintendo platforms as well. No for 1.5/2.5 because they are just remakes that will be out since a long time when NX is (supposedly out), and obviously not FFXV due to its horrible engine. It would be nice if some posters here stopped acting as if they were threatened by NX getting ports, of course not all of them make sense. VIIR does.
And yes, again, depending on when/how it is announced, a timed exclusivity can still lose sales on its original platform (like Tomb Raider & RE4 in the west, or DQXI (remember the reactions before/post NX namedrop?) and games getting PS3 versions in Japan). Again, of course this won't have any importance in the west, due to how FFVII is perceived there (with the PS1, mainstream audience, etc), but the PS4 situation in Japan is completely different.

edit: obviously there's no interest for S-E to announce possible NX ports of games with less potential sales right now. DQXI made a lot of sense to hint, MMOs as well. Other games were announced before, and some of those announced after that DQXI conference are either complete exclusives or still way too vague in terms of details for now (just as the NX is). Nothing wrong with making good guesses, just as how it's dishonest to think that NX has no chance of getting any big projects (even if they're slight ports) after the DQXI conference.
Again, only talking about Japan. Don't know why you keep acting as if I'm talking of a WW situation.

horuhe

Ōkami;180380560 said:
Splatoon in famitsu, 801.110 ( 709.711 retail, 91.399 digital)

Wii Party U 811.450 (799.873 retail, 11.577 digital)

Wii Party U is the third all time best selling Wii U game on famitsu.

That's some good news. Distance between the second and the next third place?

Come on, Nintendo. You need to make this game the best selling game in Japan. Bundle it!

Oregano

FFXIV was just considered a possibility which isn't the same as the DQ games which were outright announced. I also wouldn't assume FFVIIr would be considered, for one we don't even know if NX could run it.

bluedawgs

Banned
The PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI will not do anywhere near those numbers. It's selling a million at best. The majority of the sales will come on the 3DS version.

I also doubt that Final Fantasy XV will do more than say 1.5 million. It's going to decline from XIII, and I expect a slightly larger decline than might have otherwise been expected given the fairly poor state of the PS4.

Still don't know where people are getting the big decline of XIII to XV from. I mean I have a different opinion of where the PS4 will be by the end of next year than pretty much everyone but I think we can all agree that by the beginning of 2016 the PS4 will be very close to PS3's launch aligned sales. So, I'm not seeing PS4's state any poorer than the PS3's was.

FFXIV and DQX as well. When a publisher is ready to spend money to even make ports of games of that size, it's usually open to more than that.
You never know for 3, there's been a fanbase on Nintendo platforms as well. No for 1.5/2.5 because they are just remakes that will be out since a long time when NX is (supposedly out), and obviously not FFXV due to its horrible engine. It would be nice if some posters here stopped acting as if they were threatened by NX getting ports, of course not all of them make sense. VIIR does.
And yes, again, depending on when/how it is announced, a timed exclusivity can still lose sales on its original platform (like Tomb Raider & RE4 in the west, or DQXI (remember the reactions before/post NX namedrop?) and games getting PS3 versions in Japan). Again, of course this won't have any importance in the west, due to how FFVII is perceived there (with the PS1, mainstream audience, etc), but the PS4 situation in Japan is completely different.
It would have been nice if people stopped talked about NX until we get some actual info about it for once. How about it?

FFXIV director Yoshida is actually very open to porting it to other platforms. He also wanted the game on Xbox One. That said, nothing is set in stone about it so trying to put them in some list is just weird, and comes off as desperate if you are trying to prove a point.

With the announcement that Square Enix is considering a Nintendo NX port of Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Quest X, Yoshida-san also gave some details on the possibility of that consideration to be extended to Final Fantasy XIV.

First of all, Yoshida-san is still waiting to know when the console will be released, and secondly, Square Enix needs to talk to Nintendo as well about the policies about cross-platform gameplay on the NX before a port can be considered. Negotiations with Nintendo on the topic still have to be started.
It clearly states the actual talks haven't even started yet, so there is no point.

Regarding Timed exclusive, you pointed towards Tomb Raider and RE 4. Which Tomb Raider are we talking about here? As for RE 4, it was released on a dead platform (GC) and not a successful one (PS2) which is the opposite case here. We are talking about an uncertain platform versus a successful one (atleast in west). I also highly doubt a simple NX namedrop for DQXI is going to cause any dent in the sales of the game on PS4.

Takao

Banned
That was the shipment, not sell-through.

About Saint Seya and TWATHK...SS is very, very low, but it seems Namco completely launched it with no fafare at all. Still, very low. What did the original TWATHK sell at launch? Can't remember right now.

I don't think Bandai Namco launched Soldiers' Soul with no fanfare. I think no one cared. Japan isn't big on video games for the series:

PS3 : Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle ( Bandai Namco ) { 2011-11-23 } - 55,515 / 86,141
PSP : Saint Seiya Omega: Ultimate Cosmo ( Bandai Namco ) { 2012-11-29 } - 6,281 / 11,618
PS3 : Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-10-17 } - 22,225 / 28,290
PS3: Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.09.25} (¥7.690) - 5.320 / NEW
PS4: Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.09.25} (¥7.690) - 4.971 / NEW

The property is probably like Dragon Ball and Naruto where most of its sales come from outside of Japan. In Saint Seiya's case, probably South America.

Still don't know where people are getting the big decline of XIII to XV from. I mean I have a different opinion of where the PS4 will be by the end of next year than pretty much everyone but I think we can all agree that by the beginning of 2016 the PS4 will be very close to PS3's launch aligned sales. So, I'm not seeing PS4's state any poorer than the PS3's was.

The PS3 was at 4.2 million when Final Fantasy XIII launched. The PS4 is not getting anywhere close to that next year. So unless XV doesn't come out until mid-late 2017, it's definitely launching to a smaller audience.

When you consider the sales of recent Final Fantasy games, I don't think it's crazy to suggest that there's been at least a slight drop in interest. I think it would sell below XIII by a little even if install base wasn't an issue.

Eolz

FFXIV was just considered a possibility which isn't the same as the DQ games which were outright announced. I also wouldn't assume FFVIIr would be considered, for one we don't even know if NX could run it.

While I completely agree with you on the first point, there's two things against the second point. If S-E is switching all its productions to UE4, and DQXI is an UE4 game, wouldn't the NX be also able to run VIIR (I'm not talking about the handheld)? Apart from the obvious fact that this game isn't releasing soon, wouldn't a publisher usually announce other platforms a timed exclusive would be coming to? They usually say if it's also "later on 3DS/X1/PC/Vita/whatever only (and not X/Y/Z platform)" or even every platform they can

All the NX assumptions are pretty useless at the moment imho

Useless or baseless? When japanese publishers say they're open and not saying they're going mobile or PS4 only, it's interesting enough to be expanded upon. But of course, this isn't an NX prediction thread. Just SW guesses about a platform releasing next year (at least part of it), and which could have an interesting impact (or lack of) in Japan.
It's not talking about a PS5 or how PC/X1 would miraculously work well in Japan, or even about a Vita's successor.

edit:

We can also stop talking about games with no info on it, like VIIR.
Yoshida said his only problem with an eventual XIV NX would be Nintendo refusing cross-platform multiplayer (something that they're already open to). It's just PR to say they're ready to support a platform without saying anything interesting until it's officially unveiled. Unless you think Capcom eventually saying they're open to MonHun on NX would just mean they're open to MonHun on PS4 as well. PR is different for platforms known and unknown.
Anyway, was talking about the next Tomb Raider (people uninterested in the X1 version and waiting for the PC or PS4 one). For RE4, I don't know why you're suddenly saying "opposite case" to admit it's only the case in the west (no, the PS4 is not a success in Japan, far from it), a region I wasn't talking about for VIIR, the original subject and game you were referencing. If DQXI is releasing 3 months later on NX, it can easily cause a dent in PS4 DQXI sales (which will already be reduced due to another Nintendo version).

Will stop on this subject before some people get too angry. (edit2: can't really understand this to be honest...)

Oregano

While I completely agree with you on the first point, there's two things against the second point. If S-E is switching all its productions to UE4, and DQXI is an UE4 game, wouldn't the NX be also able to run VIIR (I'm not talking about the handheld)? Apart from the obvious fact that this game isn't releasing soon, wouldn't a publisher usually announce other platforms a timed exclusive would be coming to? They usually say if it's also "later on 3DS/X1/PC/Vita/whatever only (and not X/Y/Z platform)" or even every platform they can

Useless or baseless? When japanese publishers say they're open and not saying they're going mobile or PS4 only, it's interesting enough to be expanded upon. But of course, this isn't an NX prediction thread. Just SW guesses about a platform releasing next year (at least part of it), and which could have an interesting impact (or lack of) in Japan.
It's not talking about a PS5 or how PC/X1 would miraculously work well in Japan, or even about a Vita's successor.

Well we don't actually know if NX will getting the PS4 version of DQXI. It could be the 3DS version. I'd probably put better odds on the PS4 version being the one ported but you never know.

Vena

Just like the WiiU.

Different market for this to be a relevant point as now we have one provider leaving one aspect of the market entirely, the other is soft-exiting *specific form factor dedicated hardware*, the leading home console is floundering, and the home market has completely collapsed. There is no longer going to be a PS3 or a Vita to crutch the PS4 by that time, and the NX is going to at the very least be the 3DS's successor with said support in tow.

Things already PS4/Vita/PS3 with the bulk of their sales still coming from the latter two, especially Vita titles, not becoming PS4/NX would be quite remarkable to me, and I've said this many times now.

horuhe

Mario Kart 8.

We don't have solid digital sales for it. All we know is that they are less than 90K

Thanks for answering. I guess it's more than that 90k at this time. Anyways. It could be difficult, but possible. What's true is that this week Mario Kart hasn't show up this week's chart so it surely sold less than 5k while Splatoon did four times that number.

Xbro

Thanks for answering. I guess it's more than that 90k at this time. Anyways. It could be difficult, but possible. What's true is that this week Mario Kart hasn't show up this week's chart so it surely sold less than 5k while Splatoon did four times that number.

I should have clarified, We know that MK8's digital total is less than Splatoon. Hence 90K

noobie

Banned
The real champ of last week

13./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 10.770 / 343.434 (+31%)

Best precent wise increase out of all the Top selling games this week. Splatoon got nothing on it ;)

Wander if KanColle Kai can also become an ever green title for PSV when it launches in 2 months

But by that time Minecraft sales for PSV might be nearing its end

The real champ of last week

Best precent wise increase out of all the Top selling games this week. Splatoon got nothing on it ;)

if it was like this :

13./16. [3DS] Minecraft: <ADV> {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 10.770 / 343.434 (+31%)

you could see every weeks ton of hooray posts, graphs and so on

horuhe

So, today we had PS4 at a new price.
HhLl94T.jpg
Tokyo Xanadu had important presence also.

So i guess we now know who was right about silver week potentially affecting sales. i think this one goes to Hiska. Correct?

And yet another week where one can appreciate how timely the Mario Maker release turned out to be. But how long will the effect last? XD

cheesekao

So what exactly is Utawareru Mono? Some kind of SRPG/VN game? Seems to be selling pretty well. Never heard of it before though.

Kandinsky

if it was like this :

Jesus Christ man, you really think people would cheer those Minecraft numbers on the 3DS?, come on now, that would be considered a bomb lol

Mory Dunz

if it was like this :

people would expect like 2.5 million on 3DS though.

Here fixed:

if it was like this :

13./16. [3DS] Minecraft: <ADV> {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 10.770 / 3.434.340 (+31%)

Wander if KanColle Kai can also become an ever green title for PSV when it launches in 2 months

But by that time Minecraft sales for PSV might be nearing its end

Minecraft nearing its end in 2 months? Minecraft is going to sell more in December than it's doing currently.

Busaiku

So why are expectations for Final Fantasy VII relative to Final Fantasy XV so high?
Dragon Quest and Pokemon don't do as well relative to the original games, why would this be different?

Ōkami

Wouldn't FFVII be the first FF remake on a console too? All the others were on handhelds.

There's no precedence, and its hard to say how the market will be by the time the game comes out, whenever that is.

FFVII is one of the most popular games ever in Japan, so there's that, but it really isn't enough to predict sales.

horuhe

&#332;kami;180401172 said:
Wouldn't FFVII be the first FF remake on a console too? All the others were on handhelds.
Maybe that could bias our expectations a bit. Maybe we will have to take out some previous data, when a release date is announced.

saichi

That's a forgone conclusion. The better question is: Will any future console release beat Splatoon's LTD in Japan this generation?

FFXV, DQXI, FFVIIr, and don't forgot P5!

;-)

What gave you the impression that KanColle Kai would be a leggy title after all these delays? I expect KanColle Kai to be super frontloaded with first week sales

Busaiku

&#332;kami;180401172 said:
FFVII is one of the most popular games ever in Japan, so there's that, but it really isn't enough to predict sales.
But it's not more popular than Dragon Quest or Pokemon.

Fularu

Banned
How much is PS4's price drop? 3k yen? 5k yen? Do we expect such a small price decrease to drive hardware for the rest of the year?

wmlk

I think FFVIIR will be received as something more akin to new game than a remake. Don't think it can be compared.

Busaiku

I think FFVIIR will be received as something more akin to new game than a remake. Don't think it can be compared.
Which is what I'm wondering.
Why are people expecting thus remake to be more well received (relative to the franchise as a whole) than other popular franchises.

Ōkami

But it's not more popular than Dragon Quest or Pokemon.
I agree, but you're comparing whole franchises to a single game.

And not even that FFVII got spin offs, and even a movie its like a thing on its own.

In all honesty, we haven't even seen the game and know next to nothing about it.

Maybe if its turned based people will ignore it for being too much like the original.

Maybe if its more action oriented it'll be ignored for being too different.

Maybe FFVII will be similar in gameplay to FFXV, maybe FFXV resonates well with fans in Japan and creates more excietement, maybe its the opposite and creates disinterest.

I'm not claiming it'll sell well or not, just trying to get more points of view.

casiopao

Surely Splatoon will be outsold by either Dragon Quest or one of (if not both) of the Final Fantasy games we know are coming to the PS4. I'm not seeing anywhere near 2 million for Splatoon, I'm thinking around 1.3-1.5 million if not 1.6.

DQ is already pipe dream there with the existence of 3DS version. For FF15 that is still thing to see whether PS4 is going to be able to rebound to give FF the base customer to get the game. And whether duscae can improve the image of the game.

FF7R on the hand is surely not going to come out on 2017. It is like we forget who nomura is here again lol.

noshten

So why are expectations for Final Fantasy VII relative to Final Fantasy XV so high?
Dragon Quest and Pokemon don't do as well relative to the original games, why would this be different?

The real question is when the console market has contracted as much how are people even expecting these type of sales. Even when Splatoon tracks ahead of any other Wii U game in Japan it's still going to pale in comparision to the previous gen.
MK Wii is at 3.5 to 4mil on an install base larger than projected and combined PS4/Wii U lifetime sales.

Like I said there is going to be a few million sellers this gen and probably only a handful of games will sell in excess of 2 million. I don't foresee any type of shift that would ensure things in Japan change. There is a demographic shift as well as a market shift.

NeonZ

Isn't FFVII basically being completely remade? It's not only a graphical update with some gameplay improvements, it seems to be basically a new game with the same story.

Still, I'm not sure if that'll be enough to overcome the decreasing numbers of Japanese consoles.

Sterok

Like I said there is going to be a few million sellers this gen and probably only a handful of games will sell in excess of 2 million. I don't foresee any type of shift that would ensure things in Japan change. There is a demographic shift as well as a market shift.

What console games are going to reach 2 million this gen? Dragon Quest can't with the 3DS version existing. Final Fantasy has to deal with brand issues, and it didn't reach that milestone last gen. Mario Kart's legs aren't that good. Splatoon might have a chance, but the Wii U probably doesn't have much life left in it before the next console comes out.

Vena

I don't see any title reaching 2m on consoles this gen.

Unless the WiiU itself starts moving 20k to 30k units per week to feed Splatoon, we're going to hit a very hard saturation limit or we're going to have to expect that 70% of WiiU owners in Japan bought Splatoon.

Vena

&#332;kami;180402764 said:
What about Genei Ibunroku?

( &#865;~ &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Oh, damn you're right!

I have at least 10 million written down, here, in my expectations notebook. I fully expect 7 million WiiUs to be sold on release day. ( &#865;~ &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Top Bottom