• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
If I didn't mess up somewhere, total Pokémon Sun and Moon sales for Media Create (including dual pack counted as 2 units) should be +2 504 329 (+ whatever the dual-pack sold that week).

Well, the two games came out during the same month and during the same week.

True, but given one was a remake, I guess I expected otherwise? Anyways...

Also what are folks thinking the PS4 will sell by the end of the year? Any chance of it breaking the PS3's best year (PS3 (2009) 1,727,041)?

1.509.869 is current sales... only about 54,293 per week... that seems feasible given it's the holidays, right?

L~A

Just noticed that:

16./26. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800) - 4.626 / 81.344

Had no idea that one was already past 80k. Pennywise would be ecstatic ;)

Eliseo

So Nirolak, I have seen this "Japan console market it's dead but the west will save it" been tossed around quite often but how accurate it's that, can you say it's just happening in Japan and It won't happen in the rest of the world?

They really need to go with directions like FF12 from now on to keep the series' uniqueness but appeal to the western (i.e. not dead) market more. Capcom does it right with Resident Evil 7, even if maybe a tad too much. But ultimately, you can't make something with FF15's kind of a budget first and foremostly aimed at Japanese teens/JPop fans.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
True, but given one was a remake, I guess I expected otherwise? Anyways...

Also what are folks thinking the PS4 will sell by the end of the year? Any chance of it breaking the PS3's best year (PS3 (2009) 1,727,041)?

1.509.869 is current sales... only about 54,293 per week... that seems feasible given it's the holidays, right?

Was pointing this out a month or so back, but that discussion got weird so never brought it up again. Anyway I think there are only 3 weeks left on Famitsu, so it has to do 72,390 per week. Gonna be close.

SgtCobra

You can spin it however you want. FFXIII sold 1.5 million. It doubled FFXV sales. It's a huge decline.
Huge decline in Japan = dead?

I'm not spinning anything, the numbers are poor for a FF console game, but I cannot see how the franchise is dead. It will sell a decent amount in the west.

johnny956

What was PS3's userbase total in Japan when XIII released? It's pretty aligned with the PS4 at this point isn't it? So not good for XV in that case

L~A

Nintendo 3DS - Road to 22 million

LTD = 21 671 208
Units left = 328 792
Weeks left = 4 weeks
Needs = 82 198 units / week

Since Week 48 sales = 79k, and that sales should keep increasing until Christmas week, I think it's same to assume 22 million will be reached this year after all.

Those Appmon sales are really disappointing, it's doing worse than Monster Hunter Stories. :<

It's a shame because the anime is great.

Am I bad person for feeling smug that the Digimon game released on 3DS sold so much worse than the ones sold on the Vita?

When this new Digimon game was announced for 3DS only I felt kinda hurt honestly.

Kyoufu

Am I bad person for feeling smug that the Digimon game released on 3DS sold so much worse than the ones sold on the Vita?

When this new Digimon game was announced for 3DS only I felt kinda hurt honestly.

I cry for joy whenever a Final Fantasy game sells like shit on Xbox.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
FFXV did absolutely nothing for pro numbers lol. Is it far fetched to think the pro will go the way of the Vita TV at this rate?

FFXV did absolutely nothing for pro numbers lol. Is it far fetched to think the pro will go the way of the Vita TV at this rate?

Huge discounts? That depends on how many pros they shipped.

Otherwise they are extremely different. Pro works in exactly the same way the PS4 works and offers advantages. While Vita TV is not a portable system.

I think not solely because Pro will actually sell in west and as long as it's pulling decent numbers somewhere Sony will keep it in production and so it stays also in japanese market. Vita TV bombed everywhere.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Huge discounts? That depends on how many pros they shipped.

Otherwise they are extremely different. Pro works in exactly the same way the PS4 works and offers advantages. While Vita TV is not a portable system.
It's basically tracking at less than double of Vita TV sales right now though. A lot of those advantages are also likely less pronounced in lower budget Japanese-developed games that focus less on graphical fidelity. Japanese 4K TV adoption rate is also supposed to be lower than the west.

I think not solely because Pro will actually sell in west and as long as it's pulling decent numbers somewhere Sony will keep it in production and so it stays also in japanese market. Vita TV bombed everywhere.
Sorry, I meant discontinued in Japan, the same way Vita is essentially discontinued outside of Japan. If the market continues to shrink for the pro, would Sony keep producing them for the region?

So, about that Kamen Rider game on Nintendo 3DS...

05./00. [3DS] All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.12.01} (¥5.700) - 23.308 / NEW

Previous game on 3DS sold about 11k, so that's an improvement, but that's much worse than that PSV/3/4 game (total: 71k FW).

Oh, and Digimon did really poor, but I don't think anyone expected otherwise (not even Bamco, I guess):

11./00. [3DS] Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.12.01} (¥5.700) - 7.255 / NEW

Since no-one else seems to want to talk about anything since FF, I'll join in (for the record... yeah, that FF result is bad).

Upon seeing those Kamen Rider numbers I thought "that seems like a good result, on par with what the last multi-plat entry sold on Vita alone (which I thought was pretty good), but Famitsu has sellthrough at 20-40%... so that's a lot of copies to get through in the holidays.

Appmon though... I mean, wow. It's sold like 10% of Cyber Sleuth. Sellthrough on Famitsu is 0-20% so we've got another Gaist Crusher on our hands possibly where it'll never sell through the first shipment? Crazy. Don't know what they were thinking with this game after seeing other mixed media franchises that aren't named Youkai Watch bomb.

Also Artdink don't seem to be having any successes lately lol. Macross bombed; Neo Atlas didn't do great; A-Train has a pretty low sellthrough and I'm willing to bet Accel World vs. SAO will do quite poorly.

But hey, Super Mario Maker did well at least. And new colours bumped Vita hardware some?

vaporeon

FFXV numbers were what I expected, 600k - 700k. It sold well...for a PS4 game. FFXV is now the best selling PS4 game. I don't think there exists any PS4 game popular enough to hit 1 mil in its first week with how the market is right now.

Wasn't FFXV once announced as Final Fantasy Versus XIII and as anti-Final Fantasy title (see the all male main cast).

Well, maybe releasing a title which is more in line of the FF series. Tetsuya Nomura is also a hack.

saichi

1) the numbers don't include digital (FFXV had record digital sales in Japan)

FFXV opening is close to to 1 million when you consider digital ( Biggest ever in Japan )

SE PR really did their job with "biggest ever digital sales" statement.

3DS will be dead at the time of release. Switch won't help either.

Not only 3DS won't be dead. It wouldn't matter to mainline DQ game even if it is. DQ7 was released on PS1 after PS2 was on the market and it didn't stop people buying the game.

Well FFXV is the most popular rpg franchise from Japan. This use to be doing 1.5-2 million now 700k? Thats not good and I hope it has legs hope.

Even not counting Pokemon, there is still DQ which is more popular than FF.

Unless the Switch is a massive hit, I have a hard time seeing how DQXI couldn't be a huge decline too.

Define huge decline. I don't see a scenario where DQXI would sell less than 3 mil on 3DS.

No it won't, if you inlude digital. It'll likely hit one million in 2 weeks, even with typical bad RPG legs.

for sure, especially with typical 90% digital rate.
Unless my math is wrong, the attach rate for FF has dropped in half with FFXV as well.

Attach Rate for PS4: 18%
Attach Rate for PS3: 35%

But you didn't count the digital!
/s

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly I think you can shove it all together.

The market is very harsh right now. Almost every game is down iteration over iteration to varying degrees.

The game clearly doesn't have great appeal to current PS4 owners, or to those willing to buy a PS4 to play an appealing enough game. We can see this comparing attach rates and lower hardware sales bumps.

The franchise isn't in a great state, though I don't think I'd pin that on any one game in particular. It's been seven years since the last singleplayer mainline game, and given how quickly many Japanese consumers age out of playing dedicated device games, that's a very long time. There haven't been a lot of huge hits in the meantime that aren't mainline titles either to help keep up the audience. Final Fantasy XIII's reception probably didn't help, but seeing it as a singular cause feels misguided.

Vena

Woof at FFXV, worldwide is going to be interesting.

That is some good hardware for PS4.

FF...well. It'll come down to how it performs outside of Japan anyway.

Great PS4 numbers at least

In a vacuum, I'd agree, but not when you look at it in the context of the decline from what it could have been and this being the system's biggest (and last major) release (until DQXI in... some far off future).

This was the turning point for the PS3 and the PS3 will soon shoot past the PS4.

L~A

Also Artdink don't seem to be having any successes lately lol. Macross bombed; Neo Atlas didn't do great; A-Train has a pretty low sellthrough and I'm willing to bet Accel World vs. SAO will do quite poorly.

Well, to be fair, that new A-Train is just an updated version, not a new entry (and there's an update for players who already have it).

I don't know much about sells, But what was the Point of releasing the XB1 version of FF XV to such low sells?

[XB1] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 3.791 / NEW

Top Bottom