• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Ceres, dwarf planet and largest asteroid in the asteroid belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

ceres.png

What is Ceres?

Ceres is a dwarf planet that is also the largest asteroid in our Solar System's asteroid belt. It was discovered in 1801 by Giuseppe Piazzi. Originally thought to be a "missing planet" that was proposed to exist between Mars and Jupiter, it wasn't until discoveries of neighboring bodies that the name "asteroid" was adopted and Ceres officially became the first asteroid to be discovered. In 2006, while Pluto was "demoted" to dwarf planet, Ceres got "promoted".

How big is Ceres?

400px-Ceres_Earth_Moon_Comparison.png

It's huge.... for an asteroid. It comprises a third of the mass of the entire asteroid belt. However, that is still only about 4% the mass of the Moon. The mass is sufficient enough to give it a spherical shape though. The surface area is approximately equal to a third the land area of the US.

What is Ceres composed of?

500px-Ceres_Cutaway.jpg

This is where things get interesting. Ceres consists of a rocky core with an icy mantle. This mantle is estimated to contain 200 million cubic kilometers of water, which is more than the amount of fresh water on Earth. That's a lot of water. Last year, astronomers discovered plumes of water vapors shooting off of the dwarf planet. They don't know what exactly is causing this, but it could be cryovolcanic eruptions. Yes, cryovolcanos exist and they are as awesome as they sound.

This place sounds fascinating. Are there plans to explore it?

Yes! The Dawn space probe is expected to enter orbit of Ceres on March 6th, where it will spend several months orbiting the dwarf planet, mapping its terrain and analyzing its gravity and surface composition. It should tell us a lot about the early Solar System and how planets are formed. This will be the first dwarf planet ever explored by humans.

A week ago, Dawn snapped a few of the highest-resolution photos ever taken of Ceres. They revealed a "white dot", an intriguing surface element that scientists are keen to learn more about. Here is a gif of those images:

krYrx02.gif

Is there a chance of extraterrestrial life on Ceres?

Maybe. As mentioned, there is a LOT of water on Ceres. It's probably all ice, but it is hypothesized that there may be oceans existing under all of that ice. And where there is liquid water, there is the possibility of life. There is also a theory that Ceres may have been an originator of water and/or life on Earth. Due to its low gravity, it's much easier for debris from impacts to escape its orbit and land on Earth.

Either way, this little dwarf planet has a lot of mysteries just waiting to be uncovered. I can't wait to learn more about it.

Platy

As a person of the select group of "we didn't lost Pluto, we won Ceres, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris" (we need more planets named after goddesses) I welcome our Dwarf Planet overlords

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to ask a question that is probably a little more ignorant that it's meant to be:

Why don't we have clearer/sharper images from space? Is it just because of the fact that these missions are/were launched when the technology isn't available yet?

gutshot

I'm going to ask a question that is probably a little more ignorant that it's meant to be:

Why don't we have clearer/sharper images from space? Is it just because of the fact that these missions are/were launched when the technology isn't available yet?

In the case of Ceres, it is so small that we haven't been able to get a clear image of it yet with our telescopes. This is the first probe we are sending there, so once it arrives we should get some really clear images.

We don't have any sharp images of Pluto either for much the same reason (although it is bigger than Ceres, it is also really, really far away). New Horizons is set to arrive at Pluto in July and we should get some good images of it then. We are lucky to be able to get the first clear images of these two dwarf planets within the span of only a few months.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know someone with a cat named Ceres.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm impressed that this could have more water than earth has! But why is it called a dwarf planet when it's really that small?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
But definitely not Josef or Josep or something, because then we get right back into that whole thing with other areas.
Gotta have a firm, "American-sounding" name, so as to not stand out when presenting news on space.

Let's go with Joe. Yeehaw!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For all the bitching people give about Pluto no longer being classified as a planet, Ceres was also considered a planet for 50 years before they reclassified it as just an asteroid.

gutshot

I'm impressed that this could have more water than earth has! But why is it called a dwarf planet when it's really that small?

Dwarf planets have to be massive enough to have become rounded by their own gravity, but not so massive that they have cleared the neighborhood around their orbit. Ceres fits those criteria, thus it is considered a dwarf planet. Most asteroids are not round and are therefore considered "Small Solar System Bodies".

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Is this mission the same as Rosetta where the probe thing was out in space for like, 10+ years traveling a crazily calculated path ? Those always impress me :D

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Is this mission the same as Rosetta where the probe thing was out in space for like, 10+ years traveling a crazily calculated path ? Those always impress me :D
It's much more crazy, in fact.
Rosetta's path was actually fairly standard as far as interplanetary probes go (gotta love being able to utter that sentence!). It used standard chemical propulsion.
Dawn, however, uses ion propulsion-- which means that rather than perform short powerful burns, it continually uses its very low-thrust propulsion over a very long time (so calculating the path is much more difficult)

674px-Dawn_trajectory_as_of_September_2009.png

(Image is slightly outdated because plans were slightly changed due to some hardware failures a while ago, as you can see by the incorrect arrival date)

Dawn is also the first spacecraft to ever orbit another body (not Earth) and then leave it again and orbit another body (unless something goes horribly wrong soon, which I doubt it will)!

EDIT: Okay, looking back at Rosetta, the amount of gravity assists and encounters (even if it couldn't stop to orbit like our wonderful Dawn) is insane.
TUkKuhf.gif

Can we just agree that they're equally crazy for different reasons?

It's much more crazy, in fact.
Rosetta's path was actually fairly standard as far as interplanetary probes go (gotta love being able to utter that sentence!). It used standard chemical propulsion.
Dawn, however, uses ion propulsion-- which means that rather than perform short powerful burns, it continually uses its very low-thrust propulsion over a very long time (so calculating the path is much more difficult)

674px-Dawn_trajectory_as_of_September_2009.png

(Image is slightly outdated because plans were slightly changed due to some hardware failures a while ago, as you can see by the incorrect arrival date)

Dawn is also the first spacecraft to ever orbit another body (not Earth) and then leave it again and orbit another body
(unless something goes horribly wrong soon, which I doubt it will)!
The bolded is so cool

Log4Girlz

Closer images have gone up, showing multiple white spots.

ezgif.com-crop.gif

In-depth analysis of the new photos (though there isn't much to gleam from it): http://www.universetoday.com/118795/an-even-closer-view-of-ceres-shows-multiple-white-spots-now/

Note that Dawn is now about 145,000 km from Ceres, which is less than half the distance from the Earth to the Moon!
Only one month left until Dawn reaches Ceres' orbit, and the mysteries of the white spots and many more will be answered.

Dafuq we got to the moon in 3 days, what's taking so long to cover half the distance? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom