• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Ceres, dwarf planet and largest asteroid in the asteroid belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Dafuq we got to the moon in 3 days, what's taking so long to cover half the distance? lol
That's both because there's a slowdown ahead of capture and because Dawn will actually go past Ceres to reach the desired orbit:
new-dawn-trajectory-e1417641339100.jpg

RC3 is the desired orbit, and the green line is the current trajectory. Each white dot is the position of Dawn in one-day intervals, so as you can see, a lot of time is actually spent going "past Ceres and back".

Better explanation than I can give here: http://earthsky.org/space/dawn-journal-update-on-trek-from-vesta-to-ceres

Log4Girlz

That's both because there's a slowdown ahead of capture and because Dawn will actually go past Ceres to reach the desired orbit:
new-dawn-trajectory-e1417641339100.jpg

RC3 is the desired orbit, and the green line is the current trajectory. Each white dot is the position of Dawn in one-day intervals, so as you can see, a lot of time is actually spent going "past Ceres and back".

Better explanation than I can give here: http://earthsky.org/space/dawn-journal-update-on-trek-from-vesta-to-ceres

That's banaynays

markot

Banned
Closer images have gone up, showing multiple white spots.

ezgif.com-crop.gif

In-depth analysis of the new photos (though there isn't much to gleam from it): http://www.universetoday.com/118795/an-even-closer-view-of-ceres-shows-multiple-white-spots-now/

Note that Dawn is now about 145,000 km from Ceres, which is less than half the distance from the Earth to the Moon!
Only one month left until Dawn reaches Ceres' orbit, and the mysteries of the white spots and many more will be answered.

Thats not a very good sphere, you can see the bumps everywhere.

gutshot

Thanks for bumping the thread with the latest images. Glad to see others interested in this little dwarf planet.

Here are the latest images adjusted for color and put onto an orbiting sphere to get a fairly close representation of what you might see if you were riding with Dawn.

4B1TfHg.gif

gutshot

Can't the Hubble take pictures of it?

It can and it has. But Hubble is designed to take pictures of really, really big stuff that is really, really far away. It doesn't do so well with small stuff closer up. It comes out really blurry like the first photo in the OP.

That's why this mission to Ceres and the one to Pluto later this year are so exciting. It will be our first clear look at these dwarf planets.

Log4Girlz

It can and it has. But Hubble is designed to take pictures of really, really big stuff that is really, really far away. It doesn't do so well with small stuff closer up. It comes out really blurry like the first photo in the OP.

That's why this mission to Ceres and the one to Pluto later this year are so exciting. It will be our first clear look at these dwarf planets.

Its not about design really. It just comes down to physics. Ceres is very far away and the hubble just doesn't have the light gathering capability and resolving power. Nothing that could have been done to its mirror could change what it can see with Ceres. Its basically as good a telescope you can have at that size anyway.

pulsemyne

For some reason I thought this was out past Pluto. Excited to know more about it.

You are probably thinking of Eris which is out towards Pluto (well, beyond it). New horizoins will be at Pluto near sumertime. It will download pictures to earth at 1kbs. Basically like having 14.4k modems again!

Dai101

Banned
You are probably thinking of Eris which is out towards Pluto (well, beyond it). New horizoins will be at Pluto near sumertime. It will download pictures to earth at 1kbs. Basically like having 14.4k modems again!

Now we all can feel how our Australian buddies browse the internet!

owlbeak

Can't the Hubble take pictures of it?
First pic in the OP is taken by Hubble.

Small objects don't reflect much light, so they are hard to take photos of. Hubble takes awesome photos of gigantic nebulas and galaxies that are putting out a ton of light and that's why those photos are so detailed, but photos of Ceres or Pluto are blurry and not detailed at all.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Yeah you're probably right. I must have heard Eris once and thought it was the same as Ceres or something.

Eris sounded more exciting to me since its so far out there, but the info in the OP made me interested in Ceres too.

Bloomin great post. All things space at good for me. Also make sure I watch the sky at night. A bit of iplayer time now and then brings me up to speed.

Wow I didn't realise they were doing this - those photos are amazing. It's crazy we've got such good images of this planet before Pluto though I think they're coming this year too.

gutshot

Latest images are up on NASA's site.

pia19183.jpg

Uncropped image: http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia19184.jpg

Dwarf planet Ceres continues to puzzle scientists as NASA's Dawn spacecraft gets closer to being captured into orbit around the object. The latest images from Dawn, taken nearly 29,000 miles (46,000 kilometers) from Ceres, reveal that a bright spot that stands out in previous images lies close to yet another bright area.

"Ceres' bright spot can now be seen to have a companion of lesser brightness, but apparently in the same basin. This may be pointing to a volcano-like origin of the spots, but we will have to wait for better resolution before we can make such geologic interpretations," said Chris Russell, principal investigator for the Dawn mission, based at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Using its ion propulsion system, Dawn will enter orbit around Ceres on March 6. As scientists receive better and better views of the dwarf planet over the next 16 months, they hope to gain a deeper understanding of its origin and evolution by studying its surface. The intriguing bright spots and other interesting features of this captivating world will come into sharper focus.

"The brightest spot continues to be too small to resolve with our camera, but despite its size it is brighter than anything else on Ceres. This is truly unexpected and still a mystery to us," said Andreas Nathues, lead investigator for the framing camera team at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Gottingen, Germany.

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/dawn/bright-spot-on-ceres-has-dimmer-companion/#.VO3o4FPF_FL

I so hope those spots are ice volcanoes.

Tawpgun

When do we start hauling it to earth orbit and start mining it?

This is the other thing.

There's definitely gotta be some kind of repurcussion for adding water into earth's system from outside.... but it would be a huge help if we could somehow extract water from Ceres and give it to drought stricken regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom