• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

nbkicker

Ive just used the cast feature to record the footage and the footage recorded to my phone looks 10x the clarity and detail that you see through the headset

Minsc

Gold Member
Returned mine today.

- On my face it feels terribly uncomfortable after 50 mins no matter how I adjust the straps.

Yeah the straps suck. The Elite strap w/ battery (acts as counterweight too) is 10x better, I don't have any discomfort with it.

this thread almost makes me buy a quest 3.

some questions:
- how is half life alyx ? i tested in on quest 2 and it was pretty good
- should i get the 500 gb version?
- how is xcloud / geforce now with the quest 3?

All impressions say Alyx in VR using AV1 on a 4000-series GPU is the best anyone using a headset has ever seen it look by far.

Whether you need the 500GB version depends on how you intend to balance Steam VR / PC VR usage vs the Quest store that runs stuff right on the headset. It is nice to not need a PC to play, and stuff like Walkabout MiniGolf and fitness apps make a lot of sense on the headset (unless you're in to custom tracks and stuff and need PC mods). 128GB should hold like 10-20 games, and 512 like 40-80 games from the Quest store, maybe more or less depending how many odd-ball 30-40 gig games you find yourself playing, most are under 10GB though.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Wow! Love the Quest 3! This is getting me back into VR. Dungeons of Eternity is amazing.
My biggest regret is being cheap and buying elite strap without battery.

phant0m

Wow! Love the Quest 3! This is getting me back into VR. Dungeons of Eternity is amazing.
My biggest regret is being cheap and buying elite strap without battery.
Because of the added battery life or to have the battery as a counterweight to the HMD?

Not gonna lie I lose track of time quickly in VR. The battery runtime gives me a mandatory break 😂

chixdiggit

Because of the added battery life or to have the battery as a counterweight to the HMD?

Not gonna lie I lose track of time quickly in VR. The battery runtime gives me a mandatory break 😂
Wish I had it for the extra battery life. The strap itself is very comfortable and don't really feel it needs any extra weight.

CobraAB

Exactly, sunny is out today and looking round my living room is like looking at a 140p video nothing is sharp , ive got video recordings of my daughter from 2006 on a phone camera at night which is 10x better quality then im seing in the headset, there is no way them cameras on front are hd, 20yr ago u had better phone cameras then this
Sounds like you need to return it.

Just played a bit of Alyx on it.
Wow is all I can say. Steam VR Rooms are awesome too. Just looking at the detail of items you are holding is amazing. The lens is clear too, takes a while to get used to moving your head instead of you eyes though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just played a bit of Alyx on it.
Wow is all I can say. Steam VR Rooms are awesome too. Just looking at the detail of items you are holding is amazing. The lens is clear too, takes a while to get used to moving your head instead of you eyes though.

Superior 4000-series AV1 or regular HEVC? I wonder if Alyx goes on a sale often, I'm sure it's worth $60, but I need to check and make sure it doesn't drop to $20 or something every month.

Once I figured out to move to Home in Steam VR it became much cooler. I need to check out some of the other environments, like the HL2 ones which were featured, but yeah I was impressed with it, and I only have HEVC, but I didn't try any games just looked around in Home and at the store a bit.

Last edited:

Romulus

Yeah PCVR really maxes out those lenses in a way most standalone games can't. The ceiling has definitely been raised for me coming from Quest 2.

Last edited:

Romulus

Superior 4000-series AV1 or regular HEVC? I wonder if Alyx goes on a sale often, I'm sure it's worth $60, but I need to check and make sure it doesn't drop to $20 or something every month.

Once I figured out to move to Home in Steam VR it became much cooler. I need to check out some of the other environments, like the HL2 ones which were featured, but yeah I was impressed with it, and I only have HEVC, but I didn't try any games just looked around in Home and at the store a bit.

Have you played the HL2 mod? It's incredible.

Elite Strap with battery is finally installed today. I was hesitant to buy and use this thing thinking it would add weight and awkwardness. BUT
This thing is a must have. It feels so much better on the head, counter balanced and feels nice and does not get in the way of my ears.
It's also much quicker and easier to adjust and fit. Just turn the dial and done.

Battery status of the strap shows up alongside the main units battery. Elite strap battery drains first before draining headset battery. This might reduce wear and tear on internal battery.
Charging takes longer, But not 2 times longer. Less than 4 hours from dead, using included power adapter. I read somewhere that using a more powerful adapter will charge it faster up to 27 watts or something.

Minsc

Gold Member
Elite Strap with battery is finally installed today. I was hesitant to buy and use this thing thinking it would add weight and awkwardness. BUT
This thing is a must have. It feels so much better on the head, counter balanced and feels nice and does not get in the way of my ears.
It's also much quicker and easier to adjust and fit. Just turn the dial and done.

Battery status of the strap shows up alongside the main units battery. Elite strap battery drains first before draining headset battery. This might reduce wear and tear on internal battery.
Charging takes longer, But not 2 times longer. Less than 4 hours from dead, using included power adapter. I read somewhere that using a more powerful adapter will charge it faster up to 27 watts or something.

100%. No downside other than the price really, an improvement in comfort, balance, and battery life, and looks premium too.

100%. No downside other than the price really, an improvement in comfort, balance, and battery life, and looks premium too.
I think the only downside is I could no longer use the box the Quest came in to store it. So I also bought the quest 3 zipper case. It stores everything including the elite battery strap, controllers and a little compartment for cables and the charger brick.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
RE4: Instantly impressed and I can just tell it's going to be a blast, and basically as high a recommended purchase as Alyx or anything else you could name. It looks so much better than I expected as well. All sorts of nice little touches in the UI for VR and it's just so sharp and clean looking, it's by FAR the best I've ever seen classic RE4 look, and the gunplay and game looks like it'll be every last bit as fun as Village on the PSVR2 was and it's also more cartoony looking so it isn't scary at all like Village was for me. Which is probably a plus overall, but the scary stuff was immersive in Village too. But the game just looks so great on the headset, sharp and everything is instantly immersive.
I love the RE4 port on Quest2, will probably replay on Q3. It's incredibly faithful to the original game, with just enough little updates to improve the VR experience while feeling 100% like you were magically dropped inside the original game.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Do you have a 3D printer
Sadly, no. That's a toy for a future year, I'm sure.

I'd get both, but... if I spend that much on fun gadgets this holiday season that have only a tenuous "it's also for the kids" excuse, I'll end up having to buy something even more expensive for my wife, to even it all out.

Reallink

Forcing fixed rate 200mbps on the baked in Airlink looks like a Youtube video on scenes with a lot of geometric detail/clutter and high frequency textures (of which Alyx has several, as do a lot of the SteamVR Home/Destination environments). Virtual Desktop and AV1 would have to be a quantum leap forward to be tolerable.

Last edited:

Romulus

Forcing fixed rate 200mbps on the baked in Airlink looks like a Youtube video on scenes with a lot of geometric detail/clutter and high frequency textures (of which Alyx has several, as do a lot of the SteamVR Home/Destination environments). Virtual Desktop and AV1 would have to be a quantum leap forward to be tolerable.

I mean played through Alyx on Quest 2 VD and it never looked remotely similar to a YouTube video. I was actually shocked how good it looked compared to wired. And I'm someone very sensitive to dropped frames and iq differences too.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

Yeah, I'm positive all impressions I've read of VD + AV1 to be indistinguishable from wired visually. Have yet to see a single person say they're disappointed with VD, or even not amazed by it. Everyone says how crystal clear it is and how much better than any prior headset it looks.

Reallink

I mean played through Alyx on Quest 2 VD and it never looked remotely similar to a YouTube video. I was actually shocked how good it looked compared to wired. And I'm someone very sensitive to dropped frames and iq differences too.

It's very scene dependent, doesn't really show up in the abundance of darker and more simple indoor environments, but a lot of views in City 17 noticeably murder it. The SteamVR Hobbit environment (go outside and stand on top of the highest point and look out over the vista) is one in particular that literally turns into a Youtube video. The grass texture and foliage absolutely destroys it. A lot of views in the driftwood environment also mangle it pretty bad.

Last edited:

Romulus

I've been reading that watching 3d movies in the bigscreen app is amazing. Like unexpectedly a next level cinema experience with 1.5x supersample.

Anyone tried it?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, I'm positive all impressions I've read of VD + AV1 to be indistinguishable from wired visually. Have yet to see a single person say they're disappointed with VD, or even not amazed by it. Everyone says how crystal clear it is and how much better than any prior headset it looks.
With a dedicated router it should probably look better. Wired on the Quest is still compressed and then decompressed and VD is using better codecs I think?

Minsc

Gold Member
I've been reading that watching 3d movies in the bigscreen app is amazing. Like unexpectedly a next level cinema experience with 1.5x supersample.

Anyone tried it?

I believe 1.5 super sample is just the environment, it has no effect on the video. You can see the background environment change from blurrier to sharper when you toggle in, but nothing happens on the video.

BigScreen is fun to see the different environments though, it's got more than probably any other app I think (50+). Virtual Desktop also has quite a bit but that's more for game streaming.

SkyBox is a bit better quality than BigScreen IMO, and there's more options for the video. Then there 4XVR that's even better still. 4XVR is noticeably sharper than both BigScreen and SkyBox in the videos, like they look higher res when zoomed in. There's a demo but eventually it complains for purchase. It is the only player than can actually play back frame packed 3D videos instead of side by side re-encodes. So you can rip a 3D movie right to ISO or MKV and use 4XVR to play it directly and it'll be the exact same quality as a blu-ray player would be, no converting it to SBS for 3D which BigScreen and SkyBox need you to do first. So yeah:

4XVR > SkyBox > BigScreen - in terms of image quality.
BigScreen > SkyBox > 4XVR in terms of fun and playfulness of the environment/UI lol.

Then there's also HereSphere VR which is like another player with a million options I haven't tried much, but might be worth a look. SkyBox and 4XVR don't have the level of environments as BigScreen though, each has like 3 or 4. But they have passthrough and movie theater and the space ones, with ambient lighting and stuff. If you're serious about watching 3D movies and not just well short videos we'll say, then you'll probably benefit from the better quality of one of those two apps IMO.

Last edited:

For people keeping there Q2 for mulitplayer, what are you doing account wise?​

Ran into my first snag with walkabout golf, will have to make another meta account and buy games twice it seems.

Minsc

Gold Member
is the FoV really 110 as facebook claims? This guys says it comes out to 100 in real world testing

still a big jump from quest2.

I imagine the 110 comes from having the headset on the 4th setting that is closest to your eyes - you can move the lenses between 4 settings, and the 4th is damn close. To me there's not much difference - not anything significant between it and PSVR2. On one notch back - the default setting, it seems a tiny bit less. I imagine on the furthest out it is noticeably smaller FOV. I wouldn't assume that this person ran their tests with the lens moved closer to your eyes, since he mentions default in his comparison. But people do mod these headsets to increase the FOV, at least with the Quest 2. I don't really feel it is necessary having only the PSVR2 to compare it against to mod the FOV - nor can I imagine getting the lenses any closer to my eyes as my eyelashes are practically touching them.

It's very scene dependent, doesn't really show up in the abundance of darker and more simple indoor environments, but a lot of views in City 17 noticeably murder it. The SteamVR Hobbit environment (go outside and stand on top of the highest point and look out over the vista) is one in particular that literally turns into a Youtube video. The grass texture and foliage absolutely destroys it. A lot of views in the driftwood environment also mangle it pretty bad.

Interesting, I'm not sure your criticism comes from actual experience - it sounds like skepticism, based on other hardware than the Quest 3 running on VD. I do have a decent eye for compression issues, I've encoded thousands of videos and re-encoded them over and over and over with various codecs and formats over the years. I particularly hate banding and common dark-scene compression artifacts. The hardest video to compress generally is anything with hard noise coded in to the video. Whether it's really heavy film grain or just like a flash back with tons of noise overlaid - those situations will demand the highest bandwidth, but perhaps all the noise hides the artifacts too a bit, more than what you're describing.

I'm definitely curious and in time will form my own opinions, but as it stands - and from what little time I've spend in Steam VR Home space via Virtual Desktop, I definitely do believe that the people saying that it looks clearer and sharper than anything they've seen before in other headsets from Index, to Vive to Quest 2 are telling the truth - my short time in Home on Steam VR was a pristine experience and I don't even have a 4000-series GPU. But Home - the default one probably doesn't push the software as hard as it needs - so I'll give your suggestions a try and see how it goes. Even if it turns out not perfect when pushed hard through that Hobbit environment, it'll give me a point to start tweaking my settings from, so when I do run Alyx, it'll be the best it can! But hopefully you're mostly wrong and it looks great for me, haha! We'll see!

Last edited:

chixdiggit

For people keeping there Q2 for mulitplayer, what are you doing account wise?​

Ran into my first snag with walkabout golf, will have to make another meta account and buy games twice it seems.
Was wondering about this myself. Was going to let my nephew use my Quest 2 (with my games of course at a different residence). Can we both be playing at same time with different games?

Darko

I believe 1.5 super sample is just the environment, it has no effect on the video. You can see the background environment change from blurrier to sharper when you toggle in, but nothing happens on the video.

BigScreen is fun to see the different environments though, it's got more than probably any other app I think (50+). Virtual Desktop also has quite a bit but that's more for game streaming.

SkyBox is a bit better quality than BigScreen IMO, and there's more options for the video. Then there 4XVR that's even better still. 4XVR is noticeably sharper than both BigScreen and SkyBox in the videos, like they look higher res when zoomed in. There's a demo but eventually it complains for purchase. It is the only player than can actually play back frame packed 3D videos instead of side by side re-encodes. So you can rip a 3D movie right to ISO or MKV and use 4XVR to play it directly and it'll be the exact same quality as a blu-ray player would be, no converting it to SBS for 3D which BigScreen and SkyBox need you to do first. So yeah:

> SkyBox > BigScreen - in terms of image quality.
BigScreen > SkyBox > 4XVR in terms of fun and playfulness of the environment/UI lol.

Then there's also HereSphere VR which is like another player with a million options I haven't tried much, but might be worth a look. SkyBox and 4XVR don't have the level of environments as BigScreen though, each has like 3 or 4. But they have passthrough and movie theater and the space ones, with ambient lighting and stuff. If you're serious about watching 3D movies and not just well short videos we'll say, then you'll probably benefit from the better quality of one of those two apps IMO.
4xvr it is…. You didn’t mention you could use a usb drive which I see in the description. That’s game changing

Was wondering about this myself. Was going to let my nephew use my Quest 2 (with my games of course at a different residence). Can we both be playing at same time with different games?
someone on reddit:

Make your account admin on both headsets. Enable app sharing. Add another account on Quest 2. Play games together.

hollams

Gold Member
Having issues with a couple of Oculus Store games using Virtual Desktop/Airlink from my PC. Lone Echo and the Vader Series both crash in windows when trying to load the game. For Lone Echo I get a Bug report and for Vader I get an UE4 crash. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the games but they always crash. Duck Hunt worked though so I'm not sure what is going on.

On another note, Puzzle Places is a pretty awesome chill game. 3D models that you put together and you can choose between 25,50,100,200, or 400 pieces. I had to stop because my battery was running low.

Newari

For wireless streaming from PC, can I use my motherboard Wifi 6e as a hotspot to connect with Quest? My router is a shitty Wifi 5 one...

Top Bottom