• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

Buggy Loop

tco_-_2021-11-24T113041.108.jpg

Sakura

Will getting an aftermarket strap alleviate the pain on my forehead? I don't know how people play this for extended periods of time.

Sakura

Yes. But I suggest waiting for the BoboVR M3.
Yeah I might do that. There are other ones that pop-up on Amazon, but I'm not sure if they are any good.
Elite strap is super comfortable. I can wear it hours at a time with no issues.

I wear the elite strap for hours. DOn't know if that means anything, but it works for me.
I thought about the elite strap, but it seems more expensive than 3rd party ones that people say are pretty good.

damidu

this is hell to use with glasses, ordered the zenni lenses right away.
other than that its extremely convenient.
the passthrough thing is amazing, you have almost perfect sense of your surrounding and can pretty much do anything while headset on

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Just got my quest 3, not really comfortable with glasses, the whole headset weighted on my glasses, which put a lot of force on my nose.

The AR part suck, the picture quality is worse than Nokia phone camera quality; but I got to admit that the passthrough is very convenience for checking your surrounding.

The graphic is unimpressive at best, it doesn't matter how good of chip it has, it is a freaking phone, you can see rough pixel and edges everywhere, but the upside is the convenience, it is so much more easier to play anywhere without cable. The cast mode is amazing of showing off the device to your friends and family, it let you see what the user see on your phone, plus the app let you launch game/recenter/turn on passthrough for them.

Airlink on PC is great, just make sure you are close to your router, and stop all your download, otherwise the picture quality will turn to crap (haven't try virtual desktop yet). The battery drain during airlink is a nightmare, I get barely 2 hour play time in no man's sky, then it take ~3 hours to charge.

I am heavily considering returning it, there are not enough worthwhile games to play. I will give it a few more try, but I felt like it would be more "fun" to get a super ultra wide monitor instead.
If you do have an extended warranty, I would wait until at least Assassin's Creed Unity and Asgard's Wrath 2 are out as well as other bigger games this winter. I think most of the games are still made for the Quest 1 in mind. We still haven't gotten any Quest 3 exclusive games yet. They would be comparable to PSVR1 quality.

KXVXII9X

Will getting an aftermarket strap alleviate the pain on my forehead? I don't know how people play this for extended periods of time.
Idk how, but somehow the pain of the headstrap stopped after wearing it for a few days. Sadly, it hurt really bad and got bad acne, but now when I try it on it is fine. I thought I needed to buy an aftermarket strap as well. Hopefully it stays this way.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm using mine for 3D Blu Ray's. Converted then streamed over home network. Bootiful.

Yeah, it is good for 3D movies, you don't even need to spend time to convert and get lower quality files, you can play the ISOs straight over Plex (well MKVs with Plex) or whatever DLNA server you have if you prefer, but perhaps space is an issue - 5-10GB rips vs 40GB ISOs. I thought I had more than I did - but it looks like 3D movie pack-ins with 4k blurays are a rarer thing than I remembered.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the basic headstrap is hella better then the quest 2
\not sure if i want it this time around

Romulus

PS360 had 512MBs of RAM and 230Gigaflop GPUs, Q3 has 8GBs and 3.xTeraflops.

For sure. VR is pretty demanding though and there aren't many 360-era-looking games on the platform, if at all. This is the first time I've seen a game that actually surpasses that in terms of textures especially.

MarkMe2525

Heck, if it's ok to post these referrals I have a bunch. 25% off with link. As a disclosure, I receive $5 credit for anyone using these 25% links.

Edit: also, feel free to add me for multiplayer. My Meta name is the same as my username here. Would love to play golf, fishing, etc... with some people from gaf.

The Light Brigade: (My favorite rougelite)

In Death Unchained:

Gun Club:

Golf+:

Real VR Fishing: (this one is awesome to chill and listen to music or youtube with its built on browser)

Onward:

little cities:

Racket Fury VR:

Red Matter:

Beat Saber:

Virtual Desktop:

Pistol Whip:

Pixel Ripped 1995:

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

PS360 had 512MBs of RAM and 230Gigaflop GPUs, Q3 has 8GBs and 3.xTeraflops.
The XR2 gen 2 is crazy powerful, but I don't believe it runs at levels that produce 3+ teraflops on the Quest 3. I 100% could be wrong, but my perception led me to believe that 3+ teraflops is its max potential if it were to run flat out. I imagine they tune it down for battery life/thermal reasons.

Again, if I am incorrect please inform me. I don't want to ignorantly spread missinfo.

Romulus

The XR2 gen 2 is crazy powerful, but I don't believe it runs at levels that produce 3+ teraflops on the Quest 3. I 100% could be wrong, but my perception led me to believe that 3+ teraflops is its max potential if it were to run flat out. I imagine they tune it down for battery life/thermal reasons.

Again, if I am incorrect please inform me. I don't want to ignorantly spread missinfo.

I think it runs at 3x teraflops when the game is GPU-dependent, which is almost all VR games. That's in its current state without upgrades to the GPU software.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

From what I can tell at the moment Quest 3 looks to be around 2.4 teraflops and is probably under clocked for battery life. Still quite beastly.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Doom 3 with hi rez texture pack and dynamic lighting is terrifying and looks absolutely amazing. Took a monster PC back in the day to play this and now it’s running natively on a mobile VR headset. What a time to be alive.
But does it have shrunken NPC heads like the PSVR version and can you play it with the Aim controller????? 😅🤣

I was thinking about booting it back up last night now that people are talking about it again. Love Doom 3.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But does it have shrunken NPC heads like the PSVR version and can you play it with the Aim controller????? 😅🤣

I was thinking about booting it back up last night now that people are talking about it again. Love Doom 3.
Have not noticed an shrunken head issues. Make sure you download the hd texture pack and enable all the lighting options in the game. It makes a massive difference.
I've started this on easy mode and to be honest it's a breeze. VR controls are so much fast than mouse/keyboard. Think I'll restart at a harder level.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Have not noticed an shrunken head issues. Make sure you download the hd texture pack and enable all the lighting options in the game. It makes a massive difference.
I've started this on easy mode and to be honest it's a breeze. VR controls are so much fast than mouse/keyboard. Think I'll restart at a harder level.
I was just teasing, it's an issue exclusive to the PSVR version and triggered by the eye distance within the PSVR settings. Heads are literally like 2/3 size of what they should be, funny looking.

I don't have a quest 3 yet, just following the OT to stay in the loop and chime in with dumb shit when I can.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is worth getting. Any MR pron content?

Check post 301 - not that anyone is going to be able to discuss it much further without being deleted/warned, but yeah I don't see why it wouldn't evolve (devolve?) with that existing, but I imagine it won't get discussed here.

Hot5pur

Might pick this up after work...
Ping pong VR seems cools as it may translate to irl skills. Then there are all the sports games set to music which I love.
Not sure how the proper games are, there seems to be enough decent quality stuff.

cyberheater

Just tried 4XVR Video Player with my network drive. Works great. A bit pricey at £22 but the devs are working on it.
The dev says

"4XVR Video Player can play MVC 3D (including blu-ray 3d iso files, ssif files, mkv files ripped by makeMKV, and m2ts/ts/mts files captured by stereo cameras)"

Last edited:
Might pick this up after work...
Ping pong VR seems cools as it may translate to irl skills. Then there are all the sports games set to music which I love.
Not sure how the proper games are, there seems to be enough decent quality stuff.

Its been my go to vr game for over a year and on quest 3 it's brilliant.

If you want click my link for 25% off and I get 5 credit too lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Just tried 4XVR Video Player with my network drive. Works great. A bit pricey at £22 but the devs are working on it.
The dev says

"4XVR Video Player can play MVC 3D (including blu-ray 3d iso files, ssif files, mkv files ripped by makeMKV, and m2ts/ts/mts files captured by stereo cameras)"

Yup - I don't want to re-encode to SBS for 3D videos - I tried even at hevc + RF of 18 and it was ~50% smaller, 40 > 20GB, but I could pretty easily notice the difference from the original. At 1080p it stands out more to my eyes than 4k. Plus it takes like a day to encode the video. So I'm very happy to see support for native frame-packed 3D, and am actually pretty surprised it's not more common yet, but with SkyBox's slogan of "play anything" or whatever I expect it's a matter of time.

I had to factory reset my q3. It wasnt casting to the iphone and it would not let me add it as a device even though it had been added before, and connected to wifi, it just up and lost it.
wifi still worked in headset. I could browse store.
I think playing with pcvr must have screwed it up.

Casting is a still a slide show where every once in a while it looks smooth for a few seconds then back to slide show.

The headset needs a reboot button in the power settings.

After the factory reset, i did the entire setup again from the beginning. After logging in it brought up my app list and asked if I wanted to download everything. Save games must be in cloud as I did not lose any progress on anything.

Romulus

Guy made a video about removing the facepad and increasing the FOV to 130. I did notice my Quest 2 smaller facepad improved FOV. This is pretty drastic though and I'm betting its because the stock facepad is huge for Quest 3.

Last edited:
Guy made a video about removing the facepad and increasing the FOV to 130. I did notice my Quest 2 smaller facepad improved FOV. This is pretty drastic though and I'm betting its because the stock facepad is huge for Quest 3.

I did it on Quest 2 but the problem is that FOV corresponded to your head movements so when you really close to the lens is like opposite of fisheye (looks like you zoom in a bit)

Last edited:

01DragonFly

For goodness sake help us out here by using this for $30 credit link before you set up your Quest 3.

Also, I have 25% off codes for Beat Saber, In Death: Unchained, Dungeons of Eternity, Eleven Table Tennis, Golf+, Walkabout Minigolf, Resident Evil 4 etc, so hit me up if you need any!
thanks used your $30 referral code

here is mine if anyone want to use it :
$30 dollar credit referral link
https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/01DragonFly

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got the glasses lenses for the device so I don't need to wear glasses or contacts to use it. They seem to work fine and just snap in, but I dunno, seem kind of cheap for $50.

Well, whatever, I'm all set up.

cyberheater

I’m hearing people are having issues with the deluxe head strap and battery.

Top Bottom