• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V final box art (A Hideo Kojima Game/Kojima Productions removed)

Zach

Why does he need his name on all the games anyway? You don't see other great game makers shoving their name on all their games. Seems more like an ego thing tbh, at least he is free to make movies now which what he really wants.

To what games are you referring? Metal Gear games are special. I'm not saying they're better or worse than other games or that Kojima is better or worse than other game makers; I'm just saying Metal Gear games are pretty much one man's vision. Or am I wrong?

It's not that his name is not on the box. It's that it was and now it isn't.

Yep. They're actively trying to make me not buy this game. A company trying to make a consumer not invest in a product? Well, that's Konami for you!

On the debate of why his name is on other covers, just because other games don't necessarily do it doesn't mean they can't or that it's some ego trip. Are movie directors egotistical for "a Steven Spielberg film" for example being on their covers or posters? They made the movies as Kojima made the games.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Yep. They're actively trying to make me not buy this game. A company trying to make a consumer not invest in a product? Well, that's Konami for you!

On the debate of why his name is on other covers, just because other games don't necessarily do it doesn't mean they can't or that it's some ego trip. Are movie directors egotistical for "a Steven Spielberg film" for example being on their covers or posters? They made the movies as Kojima made the games.

A big part of it is marketing and brand recognition.

"Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six"
"Sid Meier's Civilization"
"American McGee's Alice"

Leaving Kojima's name and Studio off the covers and advertisements is a weird thing from a business side of things.

Would a company like Konami resort to pettiness, or is this perhaps a legal thing?

Why does he need his name on all the games anyway? You don't see other great game makers shoving their name on all their games. Seems more like an ego thing tbh, at least he is free to make movies now which what he really wants.

To be fair, he puts his staff out there front and center in trailers. He also had the actor's names prominently featured. I think it would be great if more game designers did this. Why the hell not? The games should be associated with his name. Why can't games feature there talent like movies do

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Oh boy, some of these replies, I too like posting in threads without regard for context.

Look, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't going to matter, Kojima's name is all over that game.

However to those that don't seem to get why this is a problem, if you've been paying more than 0 attention to what has been going on with Kojima productions.
This removal on the box art isn't a business move, it's a personal move, everything about this entire situation has been petty nonsense in regards to scrubbing all traces of Kojima from his very own series that he has been hands on with from the very beginning, this isn't like Tom Clancy or whoever elses names where the person has basically jack shit to do with the game anymore.

This is about a man being very close and passionate to his games and also the fans, working hard to establish a new and versatile engine, and basically being an all round positive face for Konami, but they rather say "You work on this until it's done and then you have to fuck off" and while him and his team work on finishing it, they're going around removing his name from his own game, the last and most likely best MGS game we will get.

So you know, there is a reason why people care about this and not other names, it's the principle of the matter.
Honestly everyone around Kojima probably feels more strongly about it than he himself does.

I agree with everything except for the last bolded part.

Kojima retweeted stuff like this so you can tell he is pretty damn heart broken about all of this

vpfw1zk45sy8.png

and who could blame him, he wanted to leave Metal Gear after MGS2 but he always came back and always did his very best to make sure each and every Metal Gear game adds some fresh new ideas and MGSV blows it out of the water, he totally went out with this, new graphic engine, open world, 60 fps, dynamic weather and day & night cycle, multiplayer infiltration where every single player has their own different base, enemies adept and react to your tactics so every replay of a mission feels completely different, buddy system, limitless options to finish your missions, tons of content etc. etc.

Just look how much Kojima Productions care about their fans.

I'm a lurker on twitter with zero posts yet Ken followed me back.

Reading tweets like this just breaks my heart.

2015-03-2020_08_33-kep7jlg.png

2015-03-2020_08_44-kephk52.png

2014-08-3122_35_53-ke10kn0.png

For me Kojima Productions was the most amazing developer in this industry.

RIP :(

B5wsy20CQAAOMwv.jpg:large

get

J 0 E

I don't see who these news are surprising, they removed his name for the website before.

I get the removal of KJPro logo because they are closing it and all, but Kojima's name?

The Kojima Productions logo is just as bad, they're being disbanded, but it's still their game.

Luckily, even in the latest footage, they've thrown caution to the wind and got KJP logos into trailers and the game. Kojima's name will be heavily featured.

The box art may erase them, but it's still their game and still Kojima's legacy.

It may not seem like a big deal but this is Hideo Kojima's last Metal Gear game, it's the last game Kojima Productions will ever work on. They have gone out of their way to make the most amazing game possible and Kojima and the rest of the staff continue to work in rough conditions not because they have to, but because they want this game to be a true testament to the studio and a love letter to fans.

Kojima Productions dies on 1st September. Until then they are alive and they are working on " Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - A Hideo Kojima Game - Developed by Kojima Productions".

No matter what happened between Kojima and Konami, Kojima deserves better than this. Its fucked up

Doesn't matter why. It's just always been that way

MisterMac

So are any artistic/photoshop types making custom insets restoring the proper credits for us to put in our copies? If anyone is tweeting pictures of their games it would be a nice show of support to print restored inserts and tweet those pictures letting Konami know they can't erase Kojima from Metal Gear.

Or have morals and stand up for something and not buy the game, but I know I ain't doing that so I hope someone makes alternate boxart for me to print

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol at Konami's "I'm already a demon". Yes yes you are.

for those who don't know Robin is the actual voice actor of Kaz who says those lines in the game.

2015-07-1422_58_18-koxoreb.png

2015-07-1422_56_37-ro0jq3o.png

2015-07-1422_57_14-roveqzu.png

2015-07-1422_57_01-roxmpco.png

2015-07-1422_57_52-roiypzt.png

If you think about it you could easily compare those words to the fallout that happened between Kojima and Konami.

soully

Neo Member
It would be great if Kojima hid an easter-egg in the game that Konami doesn't find before release that reveals his thoughts about all this...

C-DubSP

Neo Member
As much as I want to play this game day one, I will wait to buy this used somewhere, so Konami doesn't receive a single dime from it, from me at least.

Lightning

Banned
No matter what happened between Kojima and Konami, Kojima deserves better than this. Its fucked up

Doesn't matter why. It's just always been that way
It's hard to say whether Kojima deserved it or not without knowing what happened. It's sad for sure that it's come to this but without knowing almost impossible to take any form of sides objectively.

Lightning

Banned
I will definitely buying this game brand new. This game marks the end of an era and I don't want sloppy seconds in a feeble attempt to spite Konami.

New for me. Maybe more than one copy.

Fjordson

Pretty lame of Konami and a sad ending to an incredible era, but whatever. Those who care know that this is Kojima's baby.

As much as I want to play this game day one, I will wait to buy this used somewhere, so Konami doesn't receive a single dime from it, from me at least.
Hmmm. So you're mad that Konami screwed Kojima over but you're going to screw him over too by not buying his game. Because Kojima and KojiPro would love to see the game they worked on forever not sell well, as long as Konami doesn't get a dime.

Thanks for this post. For whatever reason some people think that not buying the game or buying it used won't hurt KojiPro. As if the sales don't matter at all to KojiPro money-wise and prestige-wise.

I will definitely buying this game brand new. This game marks the end of an era and I don't want sloppy seconds in a feeble attempt to spite Konami.

New for me. Maybe more than one copy.
+1
I'd give Konami every cent I have if it means KojiPro getting what they deserve for their hard work and masterpiece.

Mechazawa

Is Konami really going to allocate money and resourcers to maintain servers for a new Metal Gear Online mode?

Metal Gear Online is presumably a modern game and not that ramshackle shit from the previous games that forced you to authenticate on servers using a separate user ID.

Unless they used servers to host actual matches too(which i somehow doubt), in which case we're all doomed.

pahamrick

There is no way I can not get this game Day 1. Kojima and his team just have this way with the 'little things' that just make the MGS games such a joy to play and re-play. It's one of the reasons I have no faith in any further MGS sequels that aren't being overseen by Kojima or his team.

Bad cover aside I've always been weirded out by how lazy and just uninspired the logo is. The original logos were cool and the MGS4 logo was especially neat. This one is just the title and subtitle in a boring font placed together like the designer fucked up but didn't correct it. Even the GZ logo is great by comparison. The spine in the OP is particularly jarring, looking at it is like your eyeballs being in a blender with thumbtacks.

I tweeted to @Konami asking for a reversible cover. Maybe should've included #BetterMGSVcover. Hell why not, Twitter campaigns are the new stuff.

kewlbot

ok but now that they pushed the logo up it looks really cramped when it had a lot of good empty space to breathe in the original

enough to ruin the cover imo

and again fuck konami

RhyDin

Metal Gear Online is presumably a modern game and not that ramshackle shit from the previous games that forced you to authenticate on servers using a separate user ID.

Unless they used servers to host actual matches too(which i somehow doubt), in which case we're all doomed.

I fail to understand what you mean by this, even if it were true; the operations of the multiplayer service likely require some kind of backbone to function properly in the sense of a master server list for quick matches.

I suppose multiplayer could function and work with an "invite your friend" option that would require no such master server, but it's unlikely to me.

So this is the "Director's Cutted Edition"?

I hope it has a back cover like Ground Zeroes. If not, will print the awesome GAF cover.

firelogic

No other game director has their name plastered on the box art. His name will show up in the end credits like everyone else who was part of the game. This isn't news. This isn't Konami being "evil."

firelogic

You're seriously not going to buy a game that you were, I assume, looking forward to because a company fired/didn't renew an employee's contract? And because they removed a FORMER employee's name from promotional materials? Alright then. Your prerogative.

firelogic

Fuck it, getting this game used, want to play the game but I don't want to support Konami....

Watch out folks, we have a man with rock solid principles here. He's taking a stand by buying the game used! If you really had a statement to make, you wouldn't play the game at all. What is this wishy-washy, "I hate Konami but I want to play the game that Konami made so I'm buying it used. I am a man of principle!"

Get out.

Top Bottom