• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Res Confirmed: Sub-720p (PS3/360), 720p (XB1), 1080p (PS4)

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Repost for next page-
I know you're trying to blow up my phone, but please, move over to 100 Post Per Page format. Please?

Still not sure if I want to buy this game with it's ridiculous pricing models. It does looks pretty good though.

Mackins

Folks saying the ps3 shot looks better because that texture looks like mud should check out this interview with Kojima. At the 5:25 mark you can see what an actual muddy ground texture looks like in the game.

We're not saying the PS3 shot looks better, the PS4 shot is much better, we just like the PS3 mud, it looks beautiful in a muddy kind of way.

Checked the video, there's no footprints. I'm out, pre-order cancelled! :(

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah on the PS3 it looks like mud, on the PS4 it looks like dirt. So I'd prefer PS4 definition but with mud instead of dirt

Well, obviously the limitations of the hardware meant that they had to do things a little differently, which has somehow lead to a better result. lol

As I said before though, it could just be that screenshot. There could be many other cases where the extra detail is far more beneficial.

FuturusX

People have already mentioned it was real.

My bad, my eyes literally jumped out of my sockets and hit the reply button. I see the responses now....

It was real but he got the beatdown from the community pretty fast and had to rectify.

How could he not know...I mean. Why would he think that?

of course he did, FuturusX. And it wasn't a mistake - just one in a long line of comments meant to confuse the less connected into the industry about what's going on. They've been doing it this entire lead into the new gen. They are literally playing off people's ignorance, and they know it.

Hmmm...now when you put it that way.

of course he did, FuturusX. And it wasn't a mistake - just one in a long line of comments meant to confuse the less connected into the industry about what's going on. They've been doing it this entire lead into the new gen. They are literally playing off people's ignorance, and they know it.

Yup. I'm still amazed that him and Albert aren't being held accountable for their comments here.

Teletraan1

Banned

And they have gotten help from their PR arm in the enthusiast press and youtube. Incompetence or false bravado I can handle. Outright lies are a big no for me. It is why I have never really wanted MS to gain traction in this hobby.

DieH@rd

Banned
I know you're trying to blow up my phone, but please, move over to 100 Post Per Page format. Please?

alfred-nevah.gif

:)

You're sitting a little too close to the monitor.

Everything looks flat and muddy. The snake model looks pretty mediocre and low poly. The textures are bland and low res and looks like they used a bunch or normal maps or something to cover it up. Everything looks really low poly like the fence posts looking almost square.

leadbelly

Banned
We're not saying the PS3 shot looks better, the PS4 shot is much better, we just like the PS3 mud, it looks beautiful in a muddy kind of way.

Checked the video, there's no footprints. I'm out, pre-order cancelled! :(

Yeah. The PS4 version is obviously much sharper and more detailed, it's just that the PS3 version has this really wet and soggy look to it that is rather aesthetically pleasing.

Betty

Banned
Yeah. The PS4 version is obviously much sharper and more detailed, it's just that the PS3 version has this really wet and soggy look to it that is rather aesthetically pleasing.

It's not mud though, it's a smoke and mirrors attempt to hide a bad ground texture. The actual muddy parts shown in the Kojima interview down near the cells is how that texture should look like and it still looks far better than that pic.

Replicant

It is kind of funny though. The ground textures are much sharper and detailed in the PS4 screenshot, but I actually think the blurred and less detailed texture work in the PS3 screenshot looks more realistic. The mud has a really soggy and wet look to it. It could be just that screenshot though.

Maybe those are actually 2 different states of ground wetness? The PS3 version is after the rain has fallen for a while whereas the PS4 version it looks like it just about to start.

Yeah, I was watching Microsoft's conference with the sound off and mostly going through twitter. I saw Major Nelson's tweet and was surprised.

I imagine the point was for it to get retweeted a billion times and the "Whoops sorry I was wrong :)))" tweet to not get disseminated as extensively. There's no way it was unintentional.

Mackins

Maybe those are actually 2 different states of ground wetness? The PS3 version is after the rain has fallen for a while whereas the PS4 version it looks like it just about to start.

Definitely a possibility. I think it's probably just a case of that's all they could do with it on last gen but it does look great.

Betty

Banned
Here's a screenshot from the interview of an actual muddy area, yes the resolution sucks due to the videoplayer, but it's obvious how much better it looks than the ps3's attempt to hide it's bad texture.

Mud_zps5f8ce391.png

comparison

ij2St6eIC5NIO.png

Hubble

Not for $100 more than its cheaper and more powerful direct competitor.

I think no one wants to period no matter. Even if it was the same price, no one wants to buy a console that has weaker graphics but reluctantly may do so because of other features. All of these 'resolutiongate' scandals are just going to hurt the image of the Xbox One going forward.

leadbelly

Banned
It's not mud though, it's a smoke and mirrors attempt to hide a bad ground texture. The actual muddy parts shown in the Kojima interview down near the cells is how that texture should look like and it still looks far better than that pic.

As I have stated, it is just judging by that one screenshot. It could very well look much better on the PS4 overall. And it doesn't really have anything to do with the technical side of things. From a technical standpoint the PS4 version is obviously better, I just found it funny how in that particular screenshot, the sacrifices they had to make with the PS3 version somehow ended with a more aesthetically pleasing result. At least for people who have commented about it in this thread anyway.

This could be possible, yeah.

cackhyena

Here's a screenshot from the interview of an actual muddy area, yes the resolution sucks due to the videoplayer, but it's obvious how much better it looks than the ps3's attempt to hide it's bad texture.

Mud_zps5f8ce391.png

comparison

ij2St6eIC5NIO.png
I wish the mud actually accumulated on his shoes and knees.

CoG

I think no one wants to period no matter. Even if it was the same price, no one wants to buy a console that has weaker graphics but reluctantly may do so because of other features. All of these 'resolutiongate' scandals are just going to hurt the image of the Xbox One going forward.

One side is definitely the price. The more damning side to it is how Albert and Major have been on a disinformation tour since E3 swearing up and that the Xbone and PS4 are in parity from a performance perspective. I think now all the folks on /r/xboxone who bought into it are finally admitting to themselves that it was all bullshit and have the torches out. Major who comes into every thread on /r/xboxone with his "Thanks, I'll take that one back to the team" bullshit has not shown his face in any of the threads.

It would have been better if they just up and admitted the hardware was weaker and tried to justify the price with Kinect and TV. They lied and now all the people who paid $500 because of the lies are pissed. That's bad.

Mackins

It would be good if the mud did accumulate but gradually washed off in the rain. You could even lie down and hide in the mud, Rambo style.

Mackins

If there was that option id probably never use it, I wouldn't want to ruin that awesome mullet :(

That certainly is an awesome mullet! Not that I would ever sport such a thing! :)

This is genius. TPP please, Kojima. Its like upping your camo index without having to change camos.

Imagine slithering through the mud like a snake, getting closer and closer to your target, it would rock. I will miss the Octo Camo though, that was pretty cool.

jett

D-Member
One thing they need to add to the next-gen versions at least is some decent skin shading/subsurface scattering to the faces. They look like they're made out of clay. And they should also smooth out the edges on pretty much every polygonal object, they betray the last-gen origin of the engine.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I wish the mud actually accumulated on his shoes and knees.

Gemüsepizza;101216447 said:
But wouldn't that be unrealistic? Because the series is known for it's use of nanotechnology... ^^

Duke Nukem 3D came out in 1996 and had Duke's footprints tracking through mud and dirt. There has already been precedent set in past MGS games of leaving tracks. Will be disappointed if GZ does not have this, although if it's only muddy at nighttime when it's raining it wouldn't make sense to leave tracks.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Won't be buying this because it feels like a shameless cash grab, but the PS3 and 360 version actually don't look that bad considering the tech. XB1 version is pretty bad though, again, considering the tech.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yup. I'm still amazed that him and Albert aren't being held accountable for their comments here.

Well, Albert has pretty much been reduced to a laughingstock on GAF so I think he has been held over the fire. There's a reason he posts exclusively in Xbox hype threads now.

Top Bottom