• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

rudger

First time I did was around 2013 and was shocked at how well it held up. Best SNES game IMO. No 2D Metroid game has had anywhere near the atmosphere of Super and I don't know why. Hopefully this one has some cool art.

Same. Got it during the 30 cent Wii U sale. I came home to find my roommate started it, but he sucks at videogames so he was stuck in an early spot. I tried shooting rockets at a red door and he started yelling at me that he tried that and I was wasting his rockets. So I went to Miiverse for help and they confirmed what I thought...though I should've just ignored my friend. One poster accused me of making it up like I was on the why Metroid no crawl band wagon.

Phenomenal game. We went through it over the next week. I played most of it while he would say where he wanted to go. One of my favorite games and I'm also shocked how well it holds up. It's now my go to introduction to video games game.

KingBroly

Banned
So I've never bought Amiibo before but I really want the Samus Returns ones.

Best Buy online seems to be sold out of them already.

How rare are Amiibo generally?

Is it worth it to pay the double the retail price markup on eBay right now? Like, will the prices just increase from here? Or will they go back down to around retail value in a week or so?

I'd say no. I'd guess that Amazon will have some available on the 15th around 1pm est, like they usually do. You could also try going to Target in-store

What makes it even weirder is when you look at the people making it and still know it's going to be well-received.

Who? Mercury Steam or Sakamoto?
Personally, I wanted Sakamoto to return one day because I believed he could deliver another great 2D-Metroid game. (also was producer for a few other good games)

I never played Mercury Steam's games so I had no idea they were kinda disliked (or rather their work)

Nerrel

First time I did was around 2013 and was shocked at how well it held up. Best SNES game IMO. No 2D Metroid game has had anywhere near the atmosphere of Super and I don't know why. Hopefully this one has some cool art.

Kenji Yamamoto didn't do the soundtrack for Fusion, which is part of the reason. It still has great music, but... it's just not at the same level. The visuals were also cleaned up and simplified to look good at a lower res on a much smaller screen; there are a lot of solid colors and it seems like they tried to eliminate the "tile" look by having them continuously extend across the screen. It's actually a great looking game, but it's blockier, simplified and doesn't have the grit that Super did. These are wildly different environments, but you can see how much further Super pushes every pixel on the screen while Fusion holds back:
etank_sr_02.gif
1312111-supermetroid028.gif

boss_nightmare.gif
Super_Metroid_%2528SNES%2529_24.png

Zero Mission went even further in that blocky, waxy direction and in my opinion looks far worse as a result.

^That comparison sums it up... it's a very bright, cartoony game while Super was dark and full of detail. The music in that game in that game was also geared a little more towards techno/action than quiet, depressing themes like Super. It didn't help that the sound on the GBA generally just wasn't as good on a technical level and sounds kind of grating and harsh. That's my take on why those games fall short, anyway.

I'm hoping Samus Returns really improves in this regard, but those 3DS visuals and the heavy use of remixed themes makes me feel like it's already out of the running to compete with Super's atmosphere.

Toxi

Banned
I'm actually fond of quite a few of Fusion's tracks. Serris/Yakuza, Nightmare, B.O.X., TRO, the main BSL theme... The music shines most when it goes for bombastic, IMO.

Completely agreed on the visuals though.

Not everyone can pump out hit after hit without errors here and there. I don't think it's weird at all honestly.
Mercury Steam had a hell of a lot more errors than hits.

RRockman

Banned
Kenji Yamamoto didn't do the soundtrack for Fusion, which is part of the reason. It still has great music, but... it's just not at the same level. The visuals were also cleaned up and simplified to look good at a lower res on a much smaller screen; there are a lot of solid colors and it seems like they tried to eliminate the "tile" look by having them continuously extend across the screen. It's actually a great looking game, but it's blockier, simplified and doesn't have the grit that Super did. These are wildly different environments, but you can see how much further Super pushes every pixel on the screen while Fusion holds back:

Zero Mission went even further in that blocky, waxy direction and in my opinion looks far worse as a result.

^That comparison sums it up... it's a very bright, cartoony game while Super was dark and full of detail. The music in that game in that game was also geared a little more towards techno/action than quiet, depressing themes like Super. It didn't help that the sound on the GBA generally just wasn't as good on a technical level and sounds kind of grating and harsh. That's my take on why those games fall short, anyway.

I'm hoping Samus Returns really improves in this regard, but those 3DS visuals and the heavy use of remixed themes makes me feel like it's already out of the running to compete with Super's atmosphere.

Maybe it doesn't want to have a super type atmosphere. I know it certainly doesn't need it since the original metroid 2 had plenty of upbeat/adventurous musical themes.

Metroid Fusion still has an incredible atmosphere. It's just not the same kind of eerie vibe that Super Metroid evokes so strongly. But Fusion definitely has a sense of dread with SA-X that isn't present in the other games as well.

Toxi

Banned
Maybe it doesn't want to have a super type atmosphere. I know it certainly doesn't need it since the original metroid 2 had plenty of upbeat/adventurous musical themes.
Uh, define "plenty". Metroid 2's soundtrack is infamously sparse after the iconic overworld theme.

RRockman

Banned
Uh, define "plenty". Metroid 2's soundtrack is infamously sparse after the iconic overworld theme.

Had to go back look up the ost and I see my error. I guess I was mixing up metroid 1 with it.

I'm actually fond of quite a few of Fusion's tracks. Serris/Yakuza, Nightmare, B.O.X., TRO, the main BSL theme... The music shines most when it goes for bombastic, IMO.

Completely agreed on the visuals though.

Mercury Steam had a hell of a lot more errors than hits.

But they still had some hits in the first place right? What little I've played of their games I've actually enjoyed and I know Sakamoto can make a good metroid when he's in the mood. So I honestly had hype from when I saw the style the game was in and when I knew he was on board WITH mercurystream.

Nerrel

It's very good, but it doesn't often have the emotional impact that Super did. Fusion's music makes me feel like I want to keep moving and blasting things, while Super made me want to just stop and take things in. This is probably the most Super-like track in the game in terms of being more subdued and heavy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL5wxyLKtvw

I just replayed Fusion recently and was impressed by how well done the visuals and music were. It's not an insult to say it's still not as good as Super Metroid when that's one of the very best games ever made.

RagnarokX

What makes it even weirder is when you look at the people making it and still know it's going to be well-received.

Mercury Steam was just doing what Konami told them to do. Direction is very important. I mean Retro couldn't even complete a game before Miyamoto and Tanabe had to get hands on with Metroid Prime. And Sakamoto is keeping a tighter leash on Mercury Steam than he did on Team Ninja regarding gameplay.

Cerium

There's no shortage of developers who have produced great games with Nintendo's oversight and mediocre to bad games without it.

Look at what became of Silicon Knights after they left Nintendo.

Factor 5.

To a lesser extent, Rare.

These days Next Level Games are the new golden boys, but look at the games they made without Nintendo.

Opa-Pa

I played Metroid II only a couple of years after it released and only realized its title screen music has an actual melody in it last year after hearing AM2R's remix and wondering where the track came from lol. Metroid II's soundtrack is special, to put it lightly.

Mercury Steam was just doing what Konami told them to do. Direction is very important. I mean Retro couldn't even complete a game before Miyamoto and Tanabe had to get hands on with Metroid Prime. And Sakamoto is keeping a tighter leash on Mercury Steam than he did on Team Ninja regarding gameplay.

I think this is true and most likely the reason for their ourput so far, BUT it doesn't really mean that a team damaged by their higher ups' decisions are capable of greater things by themselves either. What your supervisors tell you to do influences the quality of your work, but if you suck then not much is going to change, even with better direction backing you up. Likewise, not just any studio is going to make great games just because Nintendo are backing them up, and there's no way to tell how capable they are until, well, they actually release a good game.

I remember being extremely hyped when SR was revealed and ridiculously disappointed minutes later when MS were confirmed to be behind it.

All that being said, I'm not doubting these guys at all anymore. I dislike their Castlevania games immensely, but I'm confident this will be great.

RagnarokX

There's no shortage of developers who have produced great games with Nintendo's oversight and mediocre to bad games without it.

Look at what became of Silicon Knights after they left Nintendo.

Factor 5.

To a lesser extent, Rare.

These days Next Level Games are the new golden boys, but look at the games they made without Nintendo.

Some of the games AVGN has torn into were made by Rare under Ljn.

RagnarokX

I think this is true and most likely the reason for their ourput so far, BUT it doesn't really mean that a team damaged by their higher ups' decisions are capable of greater things by themselves either. What your supervisors tell you to do influences the quality of your work, but if you suck then not much is going to change, even with better direction backing you up.

I remember being extremely hyped when SR was revealed and ridiculously disappointed minutes later when MS were confirmed to be behind it.

All that being said, I'm not doubting these guys at all anymore. I dislike their Castlevania games immensely, but I'm confident this will be great.

Well, I mean, they're competent developers, and while their Lords of Shadows games were trash I feel that if they had actually been trying to make traditional Castlevania games they probably could have pulled it off. Konami wanted reboots, though. They didn't even know Lords of Shadow was going to be a Castlevania game when they started it and then when they made the 3DS game they had to make it more "actiony" to fit with the reboot.

Sakamoto, on the otherhand, is directing them to make something mostly traditional, using an old game as blueprints, and having the maps designed by a veteran 2D Metroid map designer.

TheMoon

I just realized today that I actually have two preorders of the CE (both are North America). Is it worth keeping the second one to trade or sell (at cost + shipping) to others? Or should I just cancel one?

there is no CE in NA. there's just the Limited Edition with the sound selection CD. I doubt there's that much demand for this edition specifically that that makes sense?

We're getting reviews in a couple of days for a new 2D Metroid game. It feels weird saying that.
When's the review embargo up?

Tuesday 10AM pacific, specifically iirc (mentioned on NVC podcast)

TheMoon

Nice can't wait for some reviews, my prediction is 88-92 MC (90+ plz). Cuz Zero Mission is at 89 and Fusion 92.

it'll get a 0/10 because this game is the reason Other M exists so it's literally the root of all evil.

amidoingitright

I have no idea why I waited so long to pre-order this. Maybe I was waiting for the special edition on amazon? I'll give that dream up and just support the series.

Maybe this will inspire me to finally play Zero Mission.

TheMoon

I have no idea why I waited so long to pre-order this. Maybe I was waiting for the special edition on amazon? I'll give that dream up and just support the series.

Maybe this will inspire me to finally play Zero Mission.

buy it from this guy

I just realized today that I actually have two preorders of the CE (both are North America). Is it worth keeping the second one to trade or sell (at cost + shipping) to others? Or should I just cancel one?

KingBroly

Banned
it'll get a 0/10 because this game is the reason Other M exists so it's literally the root of all evil.

amidoingitright

yes

tfw you wanna play a Metroid game, but your only options without hooking anything back up are Metroid 1 or Fusion on 3DS or AM2R on PC.

KingBroly

Banned
Is Fusion actually available without being an ambassador on 3DS?

No. But I was an ambassador.

I kinda want to play Zero Mission, but the quickest thing I could do is hook up my Wii U and play via Gamepad, which I don't know how good that'd be since VC has emulation problems on the Gamepad.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I mean if the actual 2D Castlevania team was involved and they were remaking or following an outline collaboratively - that would have helped. Sakamoto's Metroid team is at the helm of the ship.

13ruce

Banned

I kinda want to play Zero Mission, but the quickest thing I could do is hook up my Wii U and play via Gamepad, which I don't know how good that'd be since VC has emulation problems on the Gamepad.

I got Fusion on Wii U and it plays fine same for other GBA and VC games did not have any problems yet. Actually got Super Metroid twice lol, on 3DS and Wii U same for ALTTP. Got Zero Mission on my Gameboy Advance SP still got that one from a friend as a gift o primary school that literally how i got into the whole Metroid franchise as a 11-12 year old.

Lords of Shadow 1 actually was a pretty great and well recieved game so i honestly dunno who blew the helm and ruined it from there on but they had potential. Luckily it seems their good talent is still there and it seems that Nintendo guidance does indeed help with these kind of devs and make them shine/stand out.

Nice can't wait for some reviews, my prediction is 88-92 MC (90+ plz). Cuz Zero Mission is at 89 and Fusion 92.
Dang that's high. :p

I expect that the rise of indy games, and prominence of the Prime games, since then, will lower it. Metroidvania is no longer a rare design structure to see. I'm thinking it will be in between 80 and 85, and everyone who plays it will love it. Can't wait!

First time I'm hearing this, what do you mean? GBA emulation on Wii U was really good in my experience. It was handled by M2 I think.

KingBroly

Banned
Typical Broly fairytale :)

I never played GBA games on Wii U because my experience with NES/SNES/N64 titles was so fucking poor. That's the reality. The fact that there might be a difference between platform emulation on Wii U shows you how terrible the VC quality is on Wii U.

Top Bottom