• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

jwhit28

I never played GBA games on Wii U because my experience with NES/SNES/N64 titles was so fucking poor. That's the reality. The fact that there might be a difference between platform emulation on Wii U shows you how terrible the VC quality is on Wii U.

I thought it was just NES that had the dark filter?

Here is a SNES comparison between Wii U and SNES Classic from N.E.R.D.

https://youtu.be/fXPEEHOq8aQ

Toxi

Banned
If the thread title involves any reference to Other M, people will shit up the thread about Other M.
We can thank Nintendo for overseeing lots of these companies and elevating their games.
Ironically, the worse a company's track record working without Nintendo, the better their track record working with Nintendo.

Ironically, the worse a company's track record working without Nintendo, the better their track record working with Nintendo.

I was a bit worried when I heard it was by Mercury Steam, but from what I've read about it, the Castelvania games they made weren't fundamentally bad, just a lot of poor decisions. The notion that with proper direction, MS could make a great game isn't that outlandish.

If the thread title involves any reference to Other M, people will shit up the thread about Other M.
I agree. I liked the ones that reference AM2R the best.

Prolly cause the more incompetent they are the more likely Nintendo is to take control over it. Retro changed considerably when they took management over.

13ruce

Banned
I think Lord of Shadows 1 was good cuz of Hideo Kojima helping them out and giving them some guidance. The follow ups weren't quite as good and felt flat altho i did enjoy LOS2 but i got that in a psn sale for cheap. Never Played Mirror of Fates because i found the demo to be quite boring.

I never played GBA games on Wii U because my experience with NES/SNES/N64 titles was so fucking poor. That's the reality. The fact that there might be a difference between platform emulation on Wii U shows you how terrible the VC quality is on Wii U.
Essentially the newer emulators, GBA and DS, were developed after the launch of the Wii U by M2 and NERD, and their emulation quality is significantly better.

tesqui

It's insane if you are a huge 2D metroidvania fan those have waited 13 fucking years.

Altho i have been waiting for KH3 since i was a kid lol so i know how it feels:p

Yeah, my first Metroid game was Zero Mission on GBA and instantly was enthralled by it. I had never seen anything like it. I don't think I was even aware of Super Metroid. It was my first exposure to that metroidvania style of game.

So, I'm very excited to relive my childhood with a new 2D Metroid in less than a week now.

Opa-Pa

It's insane if you are a huge 2D metroidvania fan those have waited 13 fucking years.

Altho i have been waiting for KH3 since i was a kid lol so i know how it feels:p

Jesus, I never thought about it but I've been waiting for both for quite a while lmao.

13ruce

Banned
Yeah, my first Metroid game was Zero Mission on GBA and instantly was enthralled by it. I had never seen anything like it. I don't think I was even aware of Super Metroid. It was my first exposure to that metroidvania style of game.

So, I'm very excited to relive my childhood with a new 2D Metroid in less than a week now.

I've been waiting for both since I was a kid.

Jesus, I never thought about it but I've been waiting for both for quite a while lmao.

Have been waiting for both also. Damn that moment at E3 with 2 Metroid games announced within a fucking hour.... I screamed in pure joy:p

KH trailer also was pretty darn cool 2018 can't come soon enough.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm actually fond of quite a few of Fusion's tracks. Serris/Yakuza, Nightmare, B.O.X., TRO, the main BSL theme... The music shines most when it goes for bombastic, IMO.

Completely agreed on the visuals though.

Mercury Steam had a hell of a lot more errors than hits.

Nah man, the best Fusion music is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL5wxyLKtvw

It's also the most Super Metroid'y track in the game, would've felt right at home in that game imo. Shame you barely get to hear it. AQA felt like they took two different zones and mashed them together, with the actual aquatic portion cut short :/

Jaraghan

Holy shit. I've been so into Destiny 2 that I forgot I will be actually playing a new Metroid game this Friday. It's been 10 years since Corruption, the last Metroid I bought and played.

I'm one of these fans of Metroid. Been a fan since the original on the NES. And in some cases hold the series higher than Zelda and Mario. Metroid has a very personal attachment for me. It still feels like a dream that we are getting a new 2D game in less than a week. I really hope it does well enough to continue the story, and finally warrant Metroid 5.

Nia

j1KjUAf.png

I've always liked this white outfit on Samus, much more than the Zero Suit. My 3DS is all updated and charged, ready for the game. I can't wait to play it.

I'm actually fond of quite a few of Fusion's tracks. Serris/Yakuza, Nightmare, B.O.X., TRO, the main BSL theme... The music shines most when it goes for bombastic, IMO.

Completely agreed on the visuals though.

Mercury Steam had a hell of a lot more errors than hits.
Environmental Shock is the best 30 seconds in Metroid music. Every time it plays you know shits getting real.

Fusion is so damn good. Love how horror-esque it feels. Only Metroid to nail that feeling imo

13ruce

Banned
I'm one of these fans of Metroid. Been a fan since the original on the NES. And in some cases hold the series higher than Zelda and Mario. Metroid has a very personal attachment for me. It still feels like a dream that we are getting a new 2D game in less than a week. I really hope it does well enough to continue the story, and finally warrant Metroid 5.

Same i like both Prime and 2D Metroid equally tho but i really want Metroid V someday the setting of both the federation and pirates going after Samus is so cool and interesting.

I actually even considered a Samus tattoo once but i already have enough tattoo plans as if so that's why i put that idea/thought down.

kunonabi

j1KjUAf.png

I've always liked this white outfit on Samus, much more than the Zero Suit. My 3DS is all updated and charged, ready for the game. I can't wait to play it.

Pretty much all of her outfits are better than the Zero Suit. Its only ever looked decent in Other M with the harness and stuff.

My 3DS has been on the backburner while i worked on my PS4 backlog the last month but that's getting all flipped once Samus Returns hits. Im not going touch to anything else until I 100% it.

Same i like both Prime and 2D Metroid equally tho but i really want Metroid V someday the setting of both the federation and pirates going after Samus is so cool and interesting.

I actually even considered a Samus tattoo once but i already have enough tattoo plans as if so that's why i put that idea/thought down.

Yeah that's where I always imagined Metroid 5 going. She did disobey direct orders from the Federation, and they did try to have her killed. Imagine a plot twist of the pirates pulling the strings at the Federation the whole time. And your objective is to restore the Federation back to normal. I have a couple of Metroid tattoos myself. As I said the series is pretty personal for me. I really wanna get another soon to celebrate it's return.

Persona7

Banned
I should have kept my second Samus 3DS order. Hopefully gamestop doesn't fuck me over. My gift card has yet to be charged and it should start preparing soon.

D.Lo

Yeah that's where I always imagined Metroid 5 going. She did disobey direct orders from the Federation, and they did try to have her killed. Imagine a plot twist of the pirates pulling the strings at the Federation the whole time. And your objective is to restore the Federation back to normal. I have a couple of Metroid tattoos myself. As I said the series is pretty personal for me. I really wanna get another soon to celebrate it's return.
That's what we actually needed instead of OM. Not the fusion remake we got, but an actual Metroid 5. It would have made a hell of a lot more sense to do 'federation training flashbacks' and all that shit in that context, and the whole 'federation was evil all along' thing which has now been revealed in two games in a row, ugh.

KingBroly

Banned
That's what we actually needed instead of OM. Not the fusion remake we got, but an actual Metroid 5. It would have made a hell of a lot more sense to do 'federation training flashbacks' and all that shit in that context, and the whole 'federation was evil all along' thing which has now been revealed in two games in a row, ugh.

OM needs to be spunged from existence. We're never getting Metroid 5 because of it.

D.Lo

OM needs to be spunged from existence. We're never getting Metroid 5 because of it.
I think you mean 'expunged' and no, you have no way of knowing that.

And I'd say the Prime series is the man offender by far - Metroid games were sequential - 1, 2, 3, 4 but Prime broke that, and now there are FIVE games set between 1 and 2. And apparently another one to come. OM is the lone game set anywhere else by being between 3 and 4.

KingBroly

Banned
I think you mean 'expunged' and no, you have no way of knowing that.

And I'd say the Prime series is the man offender by far - Metroid games were sequential - 1, 2, 3, 4 but Prime broke that, and now there are FIVE games set between 1 and 2. And apparently another one to come. OM is the lone game set anywhere else by being between 3 and 4.

I just think that they screwed up that game so much that you can't really go forward because of it. It repeats every single story beat of Fusion to the point where you have to ask yourself 'why is Samus going through the same motions?' A Metroid 5 at this point under the same guise, would probably do the same thing. A Samus who's once again lost her agency and can't do anything without Adam's help, because it's not like they're done that shit twice over already. Just wait for the big surprise that the Federation was evil again and maybe that Adam's actually alive, because why the fuck not?

Top Bottom