• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico is ready to hit the U.S. where it hurts: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does this mean corn and corn products within America will become cheaper, since there will be a surplus of unsold corn at home that they'll be desperately trying to get rid of to make any sort of profit at all?

Chumly

Market forces on crop imports/exports are nutty. Boots on the ground I've seen growers who have just been regular guys for years have massive profit margins if a market closes up like they did for Cilantro last year during that ecoli scare from Mexican imports. Likewise I've seen people go absolutely tits up during bad seasons or massive import markets. It's not a fun time to be a grower for certain segments of the market.
Corn and soybeans have been depressed from the extreme highs of 2011-2012. Margins are not near as great now and some people are just breaking even. If prices were to take a huge hit it would be devastating to the farm community. Especially since land prices are astronomical right now.

Good. Hopefully this will hit part of the Trump base the most. They'll come back crying to their GOP senators about easing off on Mexico and hopefully turn them against the Liar in Chief

SpecX

why is mexico buying corn? what the fuck are farmers on mexico planting?

ah yes, weed.

man, no wonder we are so fucked

The corn belt is one of the best places in the world to produce corn. Mexico is probably producing crops more suitable for their climate and might be getting a better deal overall to buy that product.

Bit-Bit

My parents and in-laws live out in the country. Everyone out there are farmers with a Trump sign on their lawn.

:D

brau

I wonder how this will affect any other border directives as far as coming from and into the country if that takes effect.

Ithil

Let the corn war begin

1220318.gif

So does this mean corn and corn products within America will become cheaper, since there will be a surplus of unsold corn at home that they'll be desperately trying to get rid of to make any sort of profit at all?

There has always been a surplus and they don't know what to do with all of it. That is why corn is so cheap and corn syrup is put on almost everything as a sweetener

Pagusas

Elden Member
This will be interesting. While the US is now run by a mad man, It's still the supreme power in the world. Mexico....isnt, in any way shape or form. The US can cause far more economic harm to them than they could ever inflict to the US. Dont get me wrong I'm fully rooting for someone to force Trump to act like an adult and stop this con artist shit, but I question how much economic destruction Mexico can handle in a trade war before they fly the white flag.

hawk2025

This will be interesting. While the US is now run by a mad man, It's still the supreme power in the world. Mexico....isnt, in any way shape or form. The US can cause far more economic harm to them than they could ever inflict to the US. Dont get me wrong I'm fully rooting for someone to force Trump to act like an adult and stop this con artist shit, but I question how much economic destruction Mexico can handle in a trade war before they fly the white flag.

More than Americans who are not in any way used to economic destruction like Mexico is.

rjinaz

Well don't forget, Mexico currently has a 25 billion dollar bullet pointed at their heads. They have to weigh that as well.

This will hurt no one but the farmers and Mexican people.. , if anything it means corn will be cheaper for the US market

hurt US farmers, who voted Trump, yes
hurt Mexican people, not so sure, since they are negotiating to buy corn from Brazil or Argentina. Who knows if Brazil/Argentina want to screw US over and give Mexico a good deal.

We are dealing with a mad man that has zero knowledge in business and economy. In other times, the US would be able to take advantage of the situation. This time, both economies will be destroyed.

Mexico buys corn from the US because US subsidizes the shit out of corn and it's over-produced, making it cheaper for Mexico to buy than grow.
Ah, I had no idea. When I read the thread I thought it was the other way around (Mexico grows, exports to USA) but then was surprised by the OP. It makes sense, I guess.

Go Mexico!

Good thing here in Jersey we have the most delicious sweet corn.

Oh misread it wrong, thought it was Mexico withholding corn from USA.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Just look at Venezuela if you want to know about how much economic destruction can a Latin American country endure before rising the white flag.

And what options does Trump give us anyway? He said that we are going to pay for the wall and that he will tax 20% our exports. Well, then we will buy corn from somewhere else. Establishing economic alliance with Brazil and Argentina is a good way to mitigate the damage of Trumps tariffs anyway.

The American middle class blinks first in that game of chicken I think. It's not just how much damage these countries can do to each other, it's how much pain each is willing to tolerate.

Leopold

Brazilian corn is quite competitive, but it is harder than the american variant (which means that it is less useful for cattle food, for example). But the US has at least double productivity and borderline illegal subsidies.

Leopold

yeah, this is the first thing that crossed my mind too.

Brazil is currently in the shitter, and they will do drastic things including fuck their environment in the process

Most corn plantations are in the center-south of the country, far from the rainforest.

Tovarisc

Just look at Venezuela if you want to look about how much economic destruction can a Latin American country endure before rising the white flag.

And what options does Trump give us anyway? He said that we are going to pay for the wall and that he will tax 20% our exports. Well, then we will buy corn from somewhere else. Establishing economic alliance with Brazil and Argentina is a good way to mitigate the damage of Trumps tariffs anyway.

Also EU and Mexico seems to be looking to strengthen trade relationship. If Trump goes all bananas it will hit Mexico hard, but opening new and strengthening old relationships will mitigate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom