• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

Not counting Revengeance, I consider V to be the best MGS game, because while I loved the sci-fi military soap opera story and cutscenes, the series first drew me in with its mechanics, and V has really excelled at that. I've only ever sat through the cutscenes in any of the games once, after that it came down to replaying them because they were just fun games with a lot of things to intermingle and experiment with, and I think V brings that to its most open-ended point. Meet me somewhere.

I will.
To shake your hand.

Plasma

Banned
Gameplay mechanics sure but other than that no it was unfinished, the story wasn't very good and the open world didn't add to the game they would have been better off creating multiple Ground Zeroes size locations.

There's a reason why this game has been universally forgotten since its release. Let this game be lost in history, as it's mediocrity does not deserve praise.

What?

Either positive or negative, this is probably the most discussed game this gen. It's not exactly a game that someone can be neutral on. People will love this game for what it is or absolutely despise it for what it isn't. The emotional passion that this game has wrought will echo for years to come.

Koyuga

I love this game as much as I hate this game. Gonna save this thread for when I do get around to my eventual replay. But not yet, it's far too early for me. Wounds still aren't done healing.

Vintage

Never played any MGS game, will I be lost in the story? Is it possible to skip cutscenes, because I feel I won't be interested by the story?
If I start playing for the first time, should I start with all these mods?

Angel_DvA

of course he is, even without mods.

Never played any MGS game, will I be lost in the story? Is it possible to skip cutscenes, because I feel I won't be interested by the story?

Yes, you'll be lost.

You can skip cutscenes. There aren't many relative to the size of the game. The overarching story elements don't really come into play until Chapter 2. I wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of people got into the series with TPP.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Truly is. 100%'d it twice on PS4 and PC. Multiplayer I didn't care much for, but that's never been an important factor for Metal Gear games.

Truly is. 100%'d it twice on PS4 and PC. Multiplayer I didn't care much for, but that's never been an important factor for Metal Gear games.

MGO2 was probably one of the best multiplayer games of the previous generation. That's not the reason why the majority of gamers play the Metal Gear Series, but it was great.

MGO3 is one of the worst games i've ever played tho', it's a shame because it could have been amazing with the MGSV gameplay.

I don't think it's worth the effort to care about the story unless you've played all of the previous games. Most of the more subtle references will be completely lost on you.

I think the game is best experienced in its original vanilla state as a first playthrough. The mods make the experience of replaying the game a lot better.

This shit is exactly what I'm talking about.
in terms of views, vistas, and just picture esque shots, I hesitate to boldly pick one without better considering witcher 3

but when Sahelanthropus stands up right at Mother Base and the helis do a flyby...

probably the 'shot' of the generation for me haha

(well, either that or something Keith Parkinson/Larry Elmore esque from Kaer Mohan or Skellige... that river with the siege tower nearby would be a respectable shot to tie with heheh)

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
MGO3 was probably one of the best multiplayer games of the previous generation. That's not the reason why the majority of gamers play the Metal Gear Series, but it was great.

MGO4 is one of the worst games i've ever played tho', it's a shame because it could have been amazing with the MGSV gameplay.
I have no experience with the multiplayers prior to this one, so I can't comment on them. Aren't your numbers off, though? First MGO was in MGS3, then MGS4 had the second one, and MGSV had the third one.

Gameplay wise it's probably the best game I played in years. The game is very repetitive and you need to grind a lot, but I didn't mind it since it's just so fun.
I also really liked the quirky details.

But as a newcomer to the series, the story was just plain bad. They don't introduce characters, leave a whole chapter out and is just overall incomprehensible.
Also forcing players to replay missions on hard mode is weird.

Like OP said, mods make the game so much better, especially for players who already completed the game.

MGO3 was probably one of the best multiplayer games of the previous generation. That's not the reason why the majority of gamers play the Metal Gear Series, but it was great.

MGO4 is one of the worst games i've ever played tho', it's a shame because it could have been amazing with the MGSV gameplay.

MGO2 was the best, you mean?

MGS4 = MGO2
MGS5 = MGO3

MGO4 isn't a thing.

I recently played through it for the first time (Janury-February) and all the way through act 1 I considered it to be the best game I had ever played. No doubts

I knew Act2 was going to be bad, but wow I cant Believe how they just put in the same missions again like that. Has any other game ever done this? I mean the story got completely messed up, you even had to listen to the same cutscenes again. I gave up at mission 40 (Fighting Quiet again on hard, I mean wtf why do I have to do that)

I just saw all the cut scenes afterwards on youtube and saved some precious time. Kind of regret it now but the game made me do it.

I did not like the venom snake aspect and coming back to the game makes me feel less excited. Quiet was a true sex object and I get the "feminism" attack on the gaming industry when we have charactes like that. Still she is one of my favorit characters in the gaming universe so I can the magic worked on me...

Best sound track of the entire series.

As many times said Before. Potential to be GOAT, now its a flawed masterpiece.

A remake of metal gear 1 & 2 as one game is my most desired game of all times. Dont care of Konami does it without Kojima I still want it.

xVodevil

Gameplay wise it's probably the best game I played in years. The game is very repetitive and you need to grind a lot, but I didn't mind it since it's just so fun.
I also really liked the quirky details.

Yup, I can't really mention any other game, that I've spent 100+ (140 actually) hours with in a single playtrough (well expect The Witcher 3, but that's no breaking news I guess), I completely lost myself in this, which is extremely rare for me.
And actually, I can't wait to feel it's impact in other games, gimme more of this excellently crafted stealth/action/open world experience! Though rather stick with single player.

What?

Either positive or negative, this is probably the most discussed game this gen. It's not exactly a game that someone can be neutral on. People will love this game for what it is or absolutely despise it for what it isn't. The emotional passion that this game has wrought will echo for years to come.
one of the most divisive and debated, to be sure.

reminds me a lot of FF XII
- iconic designer leaves near the end of production
- game releases 'unfinished'
- game isn't what fans of the series expected / game breaks series norms
- large initial backlash because it's different/not what people expected/unfinished
- replaces linearity with non-linearity // new systems favour 'creating your own challenges' (Gambits/Loadouts/etc)
- starts with a small cult following
- slowly more people return to it with released expectations // begin to appreciate its strengths
- people begin to praise each as flawed gems .... real diamond dogs, if you will :p

And, if it weren't for the fact that for some inane reason Ocelot's voice actor was changed, it would have also had the only character to match the sly cool charisma of Balthier, MGS3's Ocelot lol. I mean, really, Ocelot in MGS V becomes a Basch when he should have still been the same cocky Balthier he was in Snake Eater -_- Cocky Ocelot and Vengeful Miller would have been so much more fun.

Enzo88

MGS V isn't even the best MGS game. There's either a lot of people in this thread who are very easily pleased, or alot of people for who MGS V is the only MG game they've played.
Played all of them. I wouldn't say that mgsv is my favorite, but it made the old ones almost unplayable for me. The gameplay is just so much better. So yeah, your depiction is wrong.

I recently played through it for the first time (Janury-February) and all the way through act 1 I considered it to be the best game I had ever played. No doubts

I knew Act2 was going to be bad, but wow I cant Believe how they just put in the same missions again like that. Has any other game ever done this? I mean the story got completely messed up, you even had to listen to the same cutscenes again. I gave up at mission 40 (Fighting Quiet again on hard, I mean wtf why do I have to do that)

I just saw all the cut scenes afterwards on youtube and saved some precious time. Kind of regret it now but the game made me do it.

I did not like the venom snake aspect and coming back to the game makes me feel less excited. Quiet was a true sex object and I get the "feminism" attack on the gaming industry when we have charactes like that. Still she is one of my favorit characters in the gaming universe so I can the magic worked on me...

Best sound track of the entire series.

As many times said Before. Potential to be GOAT, now its a flawed masterpiece.

A remake of metal gear 1 & 2 as one game is my most desired game of all times. Dont care of Konami does it without Kojima I still want it.

I would honestly just want the Metal Gear Collection the PS3 got, with 1080p/60fps. It's easy money. I would pay 60 euro for such a release (and if it's on Steam).
It's a shame that players like myself (who never played the games before V) can't play the previous games on a current gen platform. And if it's on PC, it will sell for years and years.

I have no experience with the multiplayers prior to this one, so I can't comment on them. Aren't your numbers off, though? First MGO was in MGS3, then MGS4 had the second one, and MGSV had the third one.

MGO2 was the best, you mean?

MGS4 = MGO2
MGS5 = MGO3

MGO4 isn't a thing.

Oops, i've worked on Arrays in C# all day, maybe that's why i've added +1 to both 2 and 3 :p Thanks guys, it's edited !

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
MGS V isn't even the best MGS game. There's either a lot of people in this thread who are very easily pleased, or alot of people for who MGS V is the only MG game they've played.
Taste- or cluelessness must surely be the only reasons people can have an opinion different from one such as mine!

Vetro

Funny thing: you didn't have to repeat the missions from Act 1 for the new storymissions in Act 2. Yes, they were optional.
You only had to do the golden sideops, which weren't hardmodes from Act 1 as far as i remember.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed this for when I finally do start MGS. That quiet clothes mod is genius, so much cringe gone from the game.

"give quiet clothes"

maxresdefault.jpg

You'll be fine, there's shit for story. I do recommend playing ground zeroes first since it is a direct continuation of that game.

Arkanius

MGS V was one of my favorite games of this generation.
The super polished gameplay kept me hooked throughout the gameplay loop until the end.

Even with the weak story, I still had an IMENSE FUN with the game.

I wish they released the mod tools, it would reach Half Life 1 status for me in terms of a game as a platform for new experiences. (Half Life 1 is one of the most modded games by me)

Way far from it even with mods. There wont be any mods that fix the horrible dialogue/story/characters DI-NE/environment/mother base/etc. Gameplay speaking its great though.

Popcicle

Hot Texas Chili
I agree MGSV is the best game.

More people should play it on PC too, last I checked I had like 3000+ hours on it...

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

Hopefully, 5 more people play it on PC now. Enjoy

Pachinko

Well ... mods can make anything more entertaining. It's like a pothead proclaiming that a movie "is amazing if you're baked".

I had tempered expectations for MGSV after not much caring for ground zeroes and it still let me down. The entire game is a spreadsheet built to waste my time and the best part of the series for me - the story - was just crap , no real boss battles and far too much time spent running around the same boring environments. I'd just skip ahead and watch how it ends on YouTube but it doesn't end either because it shipped before it was finished. :(

One of the best for sure. Mods are not needed.

I'm curious about this though. Does this game have a strong modding community? I bet it's got some really good ones.

More people should play it on PC too, last I checked I had like 3000+ hours on it...

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

none of those who took the keys didnt' even say thank you? that's terrible. that or bots or lurkers took em. Which is still terrible.

Even though I couldn't redeem it, thanks for putting those out! Next though, use Modbot.

mindatlarge

Only played it on PS4 and loved the hell out of it. Repetitive at times but never to the point where I got annoyed or bored and stopped playing. This thread makes me wanna double dip and pick up the PC version, probably do that next time there's a deal going on.

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

Very generous of you dude. Its a great game. I've got about 123 hours played, a fair amount doing infiltrations online. Runs smooth as butter on PC and looks fantastic.

Floody

Is there any mods with make the casket tapes fun to listen to or any of the boss fights good? MGS5 has so much potential, that it always makes me sad it never got finished. Gameplay is amazing though, the fact it can make up for almost everything else being super disappointing is incredible.

Manoko

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

Damn, wish I came sooner...
Generous of you ! :)

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

Next time hide it in your post so only gaffers can see them. Thank you very much for doing this, I already own it but I'm sure you made 5 folks very happy.

I really wish Sony had some kind of standard mod system which was available. Some of this sounds really interesting, but I'll never get to try this because mods basically don't exist on consoles. Of course there's legitimate reasons for now allowing mods, but it worked ok for Unreal Tournament on PS2 back in the day.

the gameplay part was amazing. probably the best feeling playing japanese game out there.
graphics also great.

story was lacking
only metal gear i never finished.

i feel like it lost its charm somehow. :(

thats just me though.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

I already own the game twice so I wouldn't have used these, but just wanted to give you kudos for being awesome.

VDenter

Banned
The game has some of the best gameplay in any game ever the depth of the systems and everything at play is astounding. Its not perfect by any means but its certainly better than some other games that i bought a system for like MGS4 for instance.

Top Bottom