• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It’s a bummer Hi-Fi Rush didn’t come to PS5 sooner. Maybe it could’ve saved the studio.

Seems like that releasing stuff for Gamepass day 1 isn’t a viable business model. It’s only a matter of time until the plug is pulled on Gamepass in its current form.

Not sure if Kinect or Gamepass was a bigger commercial flop.
Like some of us said...its time for some to have some real conversations about MS's decisions. Especially with Game Pass.

we will provide make-good offers to players who purchased the Hero DLC.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Why buy studios (heck whole publishers) and then close some of them down?

And this coming from one of the world's biggest companies no less....
Because you bought them for the most important IPs and you don't want art shit indie anymore. 3rd party = max revenue, playing indie darling doesn't give you points anymore.

midnightAI

WTF? Well that's MS screwed if they want to buy any other publishers, or rather, I worry for any developers owned by a publisher that is on MS's radar.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know Ghostwire didn't do too well and Redfall wasn't exactly great, but come the fuck on. Give these studios a chance. Didn't Austin make the fantastic Prey? Fuck!

Fucking horrible news.
Yea. It's sad because they got shut down for making a terrible game they didn't even want to make.

Anyone who thinks that MS is going to make a new Spyro or whatever is not paying attention. They don't care about these small or "beloved" franchises or smaller games. Now that the games that were in the pipeline when the studios were acquired are coming out, it's time for the purge. It's basically going to be Gears/Halo/Forza but now with COD/Blizzshit/TES/Fallout etc. Wouldn't surprise me if Double Fine gets the axe.

Last edited:

Stafford

Tango only had one misfire and Arkane Austin too. With the only difference between the two being that Arkane Austin many devs left during and after Redfall, correct? So I guess that one isn't super shocking. Tango though, bruh.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Microsoft has not made one bad decision. It isn't like they require PC players to have a MS account or something.
I really am wondering if we get some leaks because it seems they loved the game and tried. Phil even said they're putting Hi-Fi Rush on PSN to try and get another one made just back in February. It sounds like it bombed and he's getting over ruled possibly, but who knows. Still a really short sighted decision on their part. This totally surpasses closing Lionhead. It will probably be the most infamous studio closure in MS history.

That whole wing of ex-Capcom is cursed. Clover, Tango, Platinum is struggling. Cursed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom