• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Alchemy

It's totally possible that the PS4:Xbox One ratio is 2:1.

If Microsoft only sold through 1.2 million in the last three months while Sony sold through 3 million, we're looking at 2.5:1 sales world wide. The gap will only increase the further we get from TitanFall's launch month. This is going to get ugly.

Amir0x

Banned
It's almost a certainty they're going to hit price parity with Sony come E3. Should be interesting to see how things go with both being the same price.

That's not even close to a certainty for stating it so definitively. And I'm also not sure why people are so positive about that. I'm not saying it won't happen (by the Holiday certainly), but I'm just saying it's not so simple as all that. The Xbox division was tasked with NOT losing an inordinate amount of money, with making themselves consistently profitable. You pretty much throw an arrow at the heart of that if you try to charge $399.99 for Xbox One with Kinect as it is now; it's not an acceptable place for them to be from everything we know. Now they can throw out Kinect, but just joining price parity doesn't actually fix all the problems. Because they don't exist in a vacuum. They would need to offer something for $399.99 that says they are offering a better value than the next competitor at $399.99. If they toss out Kinect, say (and I'd approve), the value proposition is still $399.99 for two systems, but one is significantly more powerful, one has no negative indie policy, one doesn't put apps behind a paywall, one offers a bazillion free games if you subscribe, the other is still barely smoking by with their comparably paltry offerings. You see where I'm going with this? Microsoft needs to come up with some solution to the fact that they are just not being very competitive whatsoever right now.

Saying "Titanfall, Titanfall" a million times isn't going to do it. They either need to value-up their XBL service, offer a free game @ $399.99 (and then we're back to the losing money part), or offer some other promotion that appeals to people. Hitting price parity won't fix the issues by themselves.

So assuming they sell 1.2 million every 3 months for the next 9 months and then experience a 100% sales boost due to holidays. Then the total amount of Xbones shipped would be 6 million this fiscal year assuming these parameters.

Then we assume the previously confirmed shipped numbers of 5 million, that would mean by the end of fiscal year 2014, the Xbone will sell a total of 11 million.

Salex_

Where do you live that PS4s are completely sold out? They've been solidly available on Amazon for over a month. At least half of the major retail stores I've checked have them in store and online.

I'm sure if Sony announced their sold-in to retail numbers that they would be close to 8 million.

PS4 still sold out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXrQYWbbIs#t=18s

I just checked Amazon, Gamestop, and Target. All have them online, and at all stores in my area (Northern Virginia)

Guys, the United States isn't the only country on this planet. The PS4 launched in over 50 countries and there's people from all over the world on this website.

ymmv

Banned
It's totally possible that the PS4:Xbox One ratio is 2:1.

In 2014? Certainly. Xbox One sales were heavily frontloaded because of the launch during the Christmas shopping season. This year demand dropped substantially while the PS4 kept selling.

Tsundere

Banned
I was just confirming that it's easy in the U.S. That's all. I assume Sony flooded NA to combat Titanfall. I'm guessing worldwide shipments will pick up again this month.

Both consoles (PS4/Xbox One) are pretty much available for pick up at all big retailers here in Canada as well.

kyser73

NPD Jan - Mar 2014

143k - Jan
258k - Feb
311k - Mar
712k total NA sales

59% of sales in NA, not sure how that compares with 360 sales.

I'm working off remembered numbers for PS4 but NA is accounting for ~30-40% of sales, assuming ~1m per month.

This also means that 500k of that 1.2m sold-in WW might still be sitting stock.

And regards the 'PS4 is for sale in more countries', I'd put money on it that the PS4 has sold more in the same 13 territories than MS.

Anth0ny

wii u is like 5.5 million shipped, right?

wouldn't be surprised if xbone outsold it by now. or soon. wii u should get a decent bump from mario kart, though.

FleetFeet

These aren't sold-through (to consumers) numbers.

So that 400k figure is not actual sales to consumers? Just to retailers? And they still haven't specified what the actual number of units actually exist out in the wild? Oh wow... even worse than I expected.

Theman2k

And PS4 is still sold out since launch here in the middle east.
Next weeks shipment is allocated to middle of February pre-orders.

Xbox One will only launch in September.

Shit is crazy.

5.1m shipped, pretty good. 700k on shelves/channel end of March isn't that far off the norm is it?

It's not the greatest if you consider that for a while there you could pick up a x1 with titanfall for $450, pricing it around the same as buying a PS4 with a game, even a bit less, and it still didn't outsell the PS4 and it still has plenty of stock on the shelves.

I wonder if they keep kinect packed in for much longer or are we going to see an "arcade" version of the machine before years end.

Doesn't this directly contradict the 5m shipped number they were claiming a few days ago?

3m in 2013, 1.2 in the first three months of 2014 doesn't 5m make...

Hesemonni

Banned
So:

2013 shipped: 3.9
2014 Q1 shipped : 1.2
------------------------------
total. 5.1

2013 sold through: ~3.0
2014 Q1 sold through: X?

ymmv

Banned
If Microsoft only sold through 1.2 million in the last three months while Sony sold through 3 million, we're looking at 2.5:1 sales world wide. The gap will only increase the further we get from TitanFall's launch month. This is going to get ugly.

MS shipped only 1.2 million consoles to retailers, while Sony sold almost three million PS4s to consumers. That's even worse.

I'm fairly convinced that MS has made more than 5.1M XB1's. Seems unlikely they would have almost 30% less production than Sony

sflufan

Banned
Sold to retailers.... Again?

Desperation Microsoft....

You do realize that when it comes to the reporting on financial statements that the "sold-in" number is what matters as that reflects the revenue that is reported on the income statement.

When it comes to financial reporting the "sold through" is completely and totally irrelevant.

Miles X

Take note tho that it was severely supply constrained over the launch Q (1.5m shipped compared to 3.9m XB1's)

I'm fairly convinced that MS has made more than 5.1M XB1's. Seems unlikely they would have almost 30% less production than Sony

They can never lie about these figures, they are what they are.

wii u is like 5.5 million shipped, right?

wouldn't be surprised if xbone outsold it by now. or soon. wii u should get a decent bump from mario kart, though.

5.86 million shipped, and assuming Xbox One shipments slow down now, it won't catch it until the holidays

darkwing

So:

2013 shipped: 3.9
2014 Q1 shipped : 1.2
------------------------------
total. 5.1

2013 sold through: ~3.0
2014 Q1 sold through: X?

only 2014 sold through we can get is from NPD, that's around 712k I think

so 3m + 0.7m = 3.7m + other T1 countries in 2014

Amir0x

Banned

They do have to produce Kinect 2.0's as well with every system. Seems like it'd be a suitably more complex thing to do, as well as requiring bigger boxes and therefore less able to be shipped at a time. 30% seems about right.

Top Bottom