• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

shandy706

Compared to their previous console launches, how is the X1 doing?

Can someone complete this list?

After 4 months of sales:

Xbox =
360 =
X1 = 4mil +/-

Raide

I would be surprised if they won't do an official price drop during E3

I don't see Sony doing it, just because they already see their console doing well at its current price. MS on the other had have a really good reason to drop it. This year is pretty important for them so they remain competitive with Sony going forward.

Amir0x

Banned
I see where you're going, but I don't entirely agree.

For starters, the average consumer has no idea there is a power difference, and the XB1 also has features the PS4 doesn't, like the TV input, which I personally find kind of neat. So I do think it's got it's own offerings which make it appealing, and I think hitting exact price parity with Sony minus the Kinect will do a lot of good for the XB1 sales wise.

I'm not discrediting those extra features. I would however say that those features are demonstrably less important to the modern audience who might buy such a system, because Microsoft hitched to a bandwagon that is literally changing before their eyes. There's a billion things that handle the TV part better than Xbox One, and the vast majority of people who want to play videogames and want to watch TV have no desire to be able to do both at the same time. Microsoft is just in a hazy middle ground that doesn't appeal to a wide enough audience, as a feature. To me, it was a big mistake to focus on TV. Not because the feature may not be nice for those who utilize it, but because it's a feature that is part of a world that even cable companies are rapidly trying to figure out ways to stop the bleeding from.

And yes, the average consumer has no clue about spec Y or spec Z. But they absolutely have been told from their more hardcore friends and family that one system is more powerful and cheaper at the same time. Some people may not internalize the reason, but they've been told and when they are on the market you bet it helps influence their purchase. Word of mouth continues to be the #1 reason things in the videogame industry sell. And that word of mouth starts right from us hardcore. We've told them. They know. Price alone is not the sole factor behind PS4's dominance, even though that's an easy answer for many.

Wereroku

It's not correct, it only ensures MS's propaganda campaign continues to function when you have countless websites only the other week claiming there are now 5m Xbone's sold v 7m PS4s, all because of a simple bit of wordplay.

Anyway, surely the correct terminology here would be 'sold in'.

For us it would be but for the report these are sold units even if they are just in stores. Unsold stock would be considered inventory so you could try to find it if they release a better breakdown.

Respawn

Banned

For starters, the average consumer has no idea there is a power difference, and the XB1 also has features the PS4 doesn't, like the TV input, which I personally find kind of neat. So I do think it's got it's own offerings which make it appealing, and I think hitting exact price parity with Sony minus the Kinect will do a lot of good for the XB1 sales wise.
I've been hearing this since early last year and this average consumer generalization is very wrong. This a very tech savvy world unlike some years back. Plus so much word of mouth has been spread by friends, family or YouTube.

Numbers aside, all the stock still lying around despite Titanfall, the bundles, and the rounds of price cuts (both official and retailer-specific).

The next couple of months are going to be rough. MS is gonna have to come correct during E3.

The good news is, we've crossed the 10,000,000 Gen 8 install base that publishers were banking on reaching by the end of the fiscal year.

The bad news for the division is that there's really no scenario where they hadn't been promising at least five million of those Gen 8 users would be theirs. It's going to be very interesting to see how much longer they're going to be allowed to over-spend while simultaneously under-delivering. At the moment, they really have to desperately hope that the XBL Gold subscription numbers are holding steady, because protecting that income source is about the only decent argument left for throwing more money at this "war".

Current trajectory indicates that by the time E3 rolls around PS4 will stand at 9 million sold vs. 5 million for x1. An 80% lead.

Microsoft though can start clawing their way back to a WW lead once the Chinese floodgates are opened

whew.png

Squalor

As far as earnings go, they don't really care.
Considering Microsoft really wants people to subscribe to Xbox Live, I think you're very wrong.

With all this spin, it's as though you work for the company.

Getting consoles in consumers' homes is what's most important. For you and anyone else in this thread to say otherwise is ridiculous.

sflufan

Banned
No its not. Ask Nintendo what happened when retailers RETURNED more consoles than they received [quarterly EU shipment of WiiU consoles in last summer was in NEGATIVE numbers].

Did I initially record the amount I received from the retailers for the consoles as revenue?

If so, I sold it to them.

Papacheeks

Banned
I updated the title to make things more clear for those who haven't been following their fiscal reports.

The titles makes more sense now. But do we know how many were "Sold to Consumers"?

We know there are 7 Million PS4's Sold to Consumer's but we don't have an exact number for Microsoft?

Tsundere

Banned

If you're talking about the average consumer, then they don't really know all of the features one has over the other either.
The titles makes more sense now. But do we know how many were "Sold to Consumers"?

We know there are 7 Million PS4's Sold to Consumer's but we don't have an exact number for Microsoft?

From deduction through the numbers we do have (2013 sold-through and NPDs) it's looking like they sold less than 4M to consumers.

jbug617

Banned
So the only concrete Xbox One numbers are from the the NPD for this quarter?

January- 150k
Febraury- 258k
March- 311k

In the UK a few retailers are clearing old FIFA bundles and vanilla console boxes, and sticking with the Titanfall bundle.

That bundle was announced quite late and also came with a price drop for us - I wonder how many of those old bundles and bundle-less consoles are still sitting there on shelves, too?

In other words if shops had a load of bundle-less and old bundle consoles left and the attractively priced Titanfall bundle came along, the retailers would then be ordering a load more consoles than they would otherwise need because they've still got the old stock but know they need to get the new bundle in as people will want to buy that.

That'd inflate the shipped numbers a fair bit, I'd wager, no?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did I initially record the amount I received from the retailers for the consoles as revenue?

If so, I sold it to them.

Right, from a business perspective, sold-in is the figure you report in an earnings report since it's what's relevant to your earnings.

Sold-through is nice extra information to have as it helps explain consumer side demand and how much channel inventory you have, but it's not critical in this kind of presentation.

Miles X

It's blatantly obtuse wording from the PR meant to make people think it's sold to customers, better of just saying 'shipped'.

No, sold means sold to customers, shipped means they sold them to retailers, which doesn't tell us how many consoles are sold actually sold to people. There's a reason why these fucking console manufactures says shipped instead of sold when their numbers aren't impressive.

This is how all companies do it and have done it for years. This isn't meant for forum dwellers it's meant for investors and all they care about is how many microsoft sold and got money for.

bob page

Considering Microsoft really wants people to subscribe to Xbox Live, I think you're very wrong.

With all this spin, it's as though you work for the company.

Getting consoles in consumers' homes is what's most important. For you and anyone else in this thread to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Haha, you should probably check my post history if you, for some reason, think I'm shilling for Microsoft.

I just stated that in terms of a quarterly financial performance perspective. Remember, the Xbox division is a pretty small part of the corporation as a whole. Shareholders on the call most likely didn't take a second-glance at that number.

artist

Banned
If the rate of sale to shipped in 2013 stayed the same through 2014. Xbox one would be around 3.9 million sold through.

xbox sold 3million out of 3.9 in 2013. around 77% sold

xbox one is at 5.1 million shipped as of march. 77% of 5.1 is 3.927million.
We know it didnt, right?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
It is outpacing Xbox 360, so the software support isn't about to turn into a Wii U situation. But I think the cost of keeping third party games like Titanfall off of PS4 is going to get more expensive each quarter. And even when they land a deal, there isn't much evidence it will shift things in their favor. I hope they have a lot of first party content to show off at E3.

5.1m shiped in first two quarters is very solid. PS4 sales doesn't change that.

I don't think its good. That means consumers is probably 4 million. If it was goo MS will not be cutting prices on the low and bundling games. I am sure they know this and will cut price by E3..

SHEF

I was wondering why I've seen so many Xbox One deals today in the UK.

You can order the console today from several online stores for £310 in sales. You can even pick up the Titanfall Bundle for just £314 from Tesco using a code which is pretty good value.

Still not discounted enough for me to get one though as they will be under £300 in no time; but at these prices they should start closing the gap on the PS4 in the UK.

I tried my hand at estimating the XB1's WW LTD when we got the 5M sold to retailers number a week back

So I'll try my hand at estimating XB1 WW LTD based on previously released numbers thus will rely on some terrible assumptions I'm afraid

Xbox One: over 3 million sold to consumers in 2013

XB1 US LTD in 2013 = 909,132 [Nov. NPD] + 908,000 [Dec. NPD] = 1,817,132 units sold

1817/3000 = 0.6057 -> XB1 US sales for 2013 accounted for 60.57% of its WW sales

Thus with the new XB1 US LTD = 2,527,132

2527*(1/.6057) = 4172.26 -> Thus XB1 US LTD suggests XB1 WW LTD of 4,172,260

*Note I strongly feel that the XB1 sold better at launch in the rest of the world than it is currently doing since the last official WW sell-through number was given hence it is likely more than 60.57% of XB1 WW LTD sales are in the US

For instance if that number was now 65% [Less than 4% more than launch ratios], XB1 WW LTD would be 2527*(1/.65) = 3887.69 -> XB1 WW LTD of 3,887,690

I seriously think there's a decent chance XB1 WW LTD could be under 4M right now which is crazy

So this is up to but not including April.

I no longer think the XB1 is under 4M though. Probably 4.2M - 4.3M

Top Bottom