• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

The titles makes more sense now. But do we know how many were "Sold to Consumers"?

We know there are 7 Million PS4's Sold to Consumer's but we don't have an exact number for Microsoft?

Sony really only has sold in numbers themselves when they make those statements; they are just assuming all the stock to retailers is being nearly sold out (which is accurate in many areas of the world). You'll most likely find Sony's earnings PS4 numbers , if you can extrapolate them, to be very close the numbers Sony is saying is sold to consumers.

DieH@rd

Banned
Did I initially record the amount I received from the retailers for the consoles as revenue?

If so, I sold it to them.

And when retailers threaten that they will return consoles back or to sell them with MS subsidizing pricedrops [something Nintendo did for WiiU], you will file those losses under "consumer product restructuring policies" or some other hidden expense that will remain burred so that no one can spot it. Got it. :)

Gamers who want to play some MP games online or developers who want to create games for a console DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK what shipment numbers are. Consoles in consumer hands matter, mountains of consoles on store shelves dont.

If this is not a clear sign for all developers to put better focus on their PS4 games, nothing is.

This is how all companies do it and have done it for years. This isn't meant for forum dwellers it's meant for investors and all they care about is how many microsoft sold and got money for.

People weren't asking for MS to change their wording in the earnings call, just the title of the thread, as we, er...aren't in an earnings call...

TomShoe

Banned
]Considering Microsoft really wants people to subscribe to Xbox Live[/B], I think you're very wrong.

With all this spin, it's as though you work for the company.

Getting consoles in consumers' homes is what's most important. For you and anyone else in this thread to say otherwise is ridiculous.

They must be losing out big time on potential profits. Considering XBL on Xbox One offers almost no value other than multiplayer, it might as well be free money.

Haha, you should probably check my post history if you, for some reason, think I'm shilling for Microsoft.

I just stated that in terms of a quarterly financial performance perspective. Remember, the Xbox division is a pretty small part of the corporation as a whole. Shareholders on the call most likely didn't take a second-glance at that number.

Then can you give more detail for division revenues
I wonder how it is compared to last year

Mikey Jr.

So let me get this straight.

Ps4 has sold to consumers 7 million.

Xbone has sold to consumers 4 million.

The ps4 has a 3 million lead?

And when retailers threaten that they will return consoles back or to sell them with MS subsidizing pricedrops [something Nintendo did for WiiU], you will file those losses under "consumer product restructuring policies" or some other hidden expense that will remain burred so that no one can spot it. Got it. :)

Gamers who want to play some MP games online or developers who want to create games for a console DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK what shipment numbers are. Consoles in consumer hands matter.

If this is not a clear sign for all developers to put better focus on their PS4 games, nothing is.

We are not even a year into its life cycle.

Logash

You do know that this is an earnings report right? Sell-in is the figure that companies put on these things.

True but I'm not looking in a bubble. I'm talking about the 5 million figure they gave to the world. If they are the same thing why didn't they just say 5 million sold?

Is it crazy to think there could be a million XB1's on shelves right now?

Is it though? I doubt it's selling very well in most of the EU countries it's launched in and most UK retailers are clearing stock as well. Whether that's for a new SKU or because they have too much unsold stock is really anyone's guess....

Guys this is an earnings report, companies always report shipped numbers in these kind of reports.

This. Plus in MS eyes, they are sold. It's up to the retailers to sell them to consumers. I was a buyer and I can definitely say, unlike software, hardware is not being sent back. It will be sold sideways if they need to unload. These will be sold eventually though. E3 is coming.....

jcm

So let me get this straight.

Ps4 has sold to consumers 7 million.

Xbone has sold to consumers 4 million.

The ps4 has a 3 million lead?

We don't know how many MS sold to consumers. They shipped 5.1M. They sold some number less than that.

Gestault

Any developer ignoring the PS4 at this point is just undermining their own interests. That said, I feel like the similarity of the development environments has eliminated the previously required prioritization for different platforms that used to exist, assuming there's a reasonably active audience involved. Aside from the relatively flat licensing and distribution fees, there's less of an opportunity cost associated with development between the newest systems. That seems like a good thing for all involved.

Dlacy13g

the numbers are solid numbers when you are looking at Microsoft and their previous performance for launches. That said, many hear instantly (rightfully so) compare their numbers to Sony's numbers and in that light they clearly don't feel all that great.

I imagine many in Redmond saying "These are great numbers....but." as they look at what Sony has done so far.

What makes me happy is that this will continue to push MS to do better and look to get even more aggressive to try and win back the N. American territory.

So about 400k a month with Titanfall. That number is gonna drop a ton without a price drop or launching in more countries. It probably won't reach 5 million until late June.

I for one am glad we have so many junior members who are up to scratch on fiscal earnings reports. I am learning a lot at the moment.

tzare

I've been hearing this since early last year and this average consumer generalization is very wrong. This a very tech savvy world unlike some years back. Plus so much word of mouth has been spread by friends, family or YouTube.
In fact i think itis easier that people know ps4 is more powerful than xbone has a tv input

Daemul

True but I'm not looking in a bubble. I'm talking about the 5 million figure they gave to the world. If they are the same thing why didn't they just say 5 million sold?

Wait, are you talking about the earnings report or the PR statement after the NPD?

Gator86

Current trajectory indicates that by the time E3 rolls around PS4 will stand at 9 million sold vs. 5 million for x1. An 80% lead.

Microsoft though can start clawing their way back to a WW lead once the Chinese floodgates are opened

whew.png

A near two to one sales disadvantage is nothing when you have weaker hardware and a higher price point to fall back on. Oh, wait...

I'm genuinely excited to see how MS counters. E3 is going to be fantastic just for GAF alone.

jcm

Sony really only has sold in numbers themselves when they make those statements; they are just assuming all the stock to retailers is being nearly sold out (which is accurate in many areas of the world). You'll most likely find Sony's earnings PS4 numbers , if you can extrapolate them, to be very close the numbers Sony is saying is sold to consumers.

Sony and MS are both able to estimate sell through fairly accurately. They both report shipments in earnings because that's when they book the revenue.

sflufan

Banned

How exactly does that change what I said initially?

Mikey Jr.

Factor in the number of countries both consoles have launched in and the difference in sales isn't that surprising.

That's true. But xbone and ps4 have launched in all the major territories. I doubt all the extra ones that ps4 are in amount to anything significant.

kyser73

I was wondering why I've seen so many Xbox One deals today in the UK.

You can order the console today from several online stores for £310 in sales. You can even pick up the Titanfall Bundle for just £314 from Tesco using a code which is pretty good value.

Still not discounted enough for me to get one though as they will be under £300 in no time; but at these prices they should start closing the gap on the PS4 in the UK.

Thing is, when those stocks are run down, where does MS go on UK pricing? Big multiples like Tesco aren't going to put it out at £429 for a base unit again, and I doubt even a bundled TF or Forza at £349-399 is going to be especially appealing to them, not to mention that it's now the de facto price point in the UK.

Drencrom

This is how all companies do it and have done it for years. This isn't meant for forum dwellers it's meant for investors and all they care about is how many microsoft sold and got money for.

Yes, that's why we should translate the terms and numbers to the units we, the forum dwellers, care about i.e. shipped or sold to customers

I updated the title to make things more clear for those who haven't been following their fiscal reports.

Thank you

Factor in the number of countries both consoles have launched in and the difference in sales isn't that surprising.

That is a poor excuse since those countries are not going to help MS.
In fact you can already buy the console in some of those countries right now and it not helping them .
MS will be lucky if those places add 100k a month WW for them .

zebwinz

Using just known numbers for the quarter (Jan-Mar 2014) from just NPD(US):
719K sold to consumers
From Microsoft's earnings report today(Worldwide):
1,200,000 sold to retail.

So that leaves 481,000 consoles, minus any sales from the other 12 countries. Why are people believing that 800,000+ consoles are just sitting on store/warehouse shelves?

Retailers would not order and purchase more consoles from Microsoft if they already have them sitting on a shelf. Every unit brought in not only costs a retailer the purchase price, it also has holding costs, labor, insurance, etc.

This. Plus in MS eyes, they are sold. It's up to the retailers to sell them to consumers. I was a buyer and I can definitely say, unlike software, hardware is not being sent back. It will be sold sideways if they need to unload. These will be sold eventually though. E3 is coming.....

true, but doesn't that also take into account that if retailers have plenty of stock of X1s we could see that 'sold in' number completely flat-line for MS for the next few months?
Retailers would only require more shipments should they sell out, no?

Top Bottom