• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft gathering community opinions on porting Killer Instinct to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

herod

And this is why the "I don't understand why Phil doesn't put all the Xbox One exclusives on PC" argument makes no sense to me.

surely the xbone is a strong enough platform that it could stand on its own merits against PC?

if not, then it deserves to fucking die anyway.

Synth

it's typically a lack of third parties that actually kills platforms.

Yea, because typically every platform has exclusives.

If any platform existed which had a library that was literally a subset of another platform. I'm pretty confident it would be dead as fuck unless it ran everything massively (and I'm not even talking PS2 to Xbox massively) better.

Synth

The platform with the highest number of highly rated exclusives doeant have exclusives??

I didn't say it doesn't have them. I'm saying it could survive without them.

The lack of 3. party support on Nintendo platforms isn't a phase, it's the norm.

It wasn't the norm for any generation they didn't get rolled in. NES had a 3rd party monopoly. SNES had (at the very least) 3rd party parity, N64 got murdered by PlayStation almost entirely due to getting their 3rd party shit took. Gamecube was much the same despite having semi decent 3rd party support (just nothing compared to PS2), Wii had tons of third-party support at first, and died out as the HD twins became the primary platforms for 3rd party development . Wii U is Wii U.

And every iteration of Gameboy and DS has had dominant 3rd party support compared to whatever platform they competed against.

I'm not at all convinced.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Explain Nintendo.
That's pretty much how the Wii died.

For what it's worth, I don't think KI on the PC is going to hurt the One much. If anything, cross play would guarantee the game has a long life ahead of it. It's a far larger platform than the One, even if we're only counting enthusiast class rigs.

Synth

That's pretty much how the Wii died.

For what it's worth, I don't think KI on the PC is going to hurt the One much. If anything, cross play would guarantee the game has a long life ahead of it. It's a far larger platform than the One, even if we're only counting enthusiast class rigs.

Killer Instinct is one of the few titles I think would definitely be a good idea to port to PC. Having a larger userbase in this case make the IP a more viable competitor to the game the console now lacks (i.e. Street Fighter).

I don't agree with people that say MS should be porting most of their Xbox One content to PC (or at least not to Steam rather than their own ecosystem), but KI isn't really like the rest. Stuff like Halo isn't suited for crossplay (m+kb advantage), and so a PC version remains an isolated product that doesn't benefit the Xbox, whilst removing a key selling point for the console. KI doesn't really have that issue.

They should definitely keep Xbox Live as integrated to the product as possible. Let PC players see what their KI buddies are playing on the console, and bring them into the ecosystem (access to Meld etc). Have the game available via their own store too as a universal app. That gives people a reason to consider the "Xbox" version of the game rather than giving Valve 30% of every sale, as they may eventually want to play Xbox games on other devices.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If anything that would only strengthen Fixed2BeBroken's point. <snip>

Either you misread who I was responding to or you quoted the wrong post.

Should we be surprised at this point?

It's a Microsoft game, so yes (not that I think the evidence is anything more than just general forum moderating). Dead Rising 3 and Ryse have always been owned by Capcom and Crytek respectively, so it was only a matter of time before publishing rights reverted back to them (although it happened far sooner than I would have guessed).

Microsoft do ports their own ips to pc it's not just published games by them, they ported to pc recently are State of Decay last year and Fable Anniversary this year. whoever this might be the first Xbox One title they own that get ported.

Which is my point. There's a distinction to make between Microsoft letting some of its games on a superseded platform hit the PC versus porting games from a platform it's getting off the ground.

F2BB wasn't involved in the conversation at all. There's also the possibility that you decided to use my unrelated post as a launchpad for yours, but prefacing it with "If anything" implies that it's rebuttal to something I've said, which isn't the case.

I will buy KI on PC as long as it is the whole game and not this stupid character pack season crap.

Honestly, it's not a bad model for a fighter. Thus far, they're on track for 24 fighters for 60 dollars, which is around average, or less depending on your preference.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What the fuck is there to gather? Just release it.

It's basically free brownie points. If we assume that the PC port is already on its way, Microsoft can spend a few weeks/months "gathering community opinions" and then announce the game by saying, "We've heard the community loud and clear..." That's exactly what happened with The Division: June 2013/August 2013.

Ghazi

I don't understand why a couple people on the front page were making fun of MS for this. Like, you guys do realize that they're porting their own game by choice to PC, right? This is good for everyone...

I'm also very certain that it'll be cross platform if they do it, to combat playercount drops and SFV.

Synth

Either you misread who I was responding to or you quoted the wrong post.

F2BB wasn't involved in the conversation at all. There's also the possibility that you decided to use my unrelated post as a launchpad for yours, but prefacing it with "If anything" implies that it's rebuttal to something I've said, which isn't the case.

You know what... I don't even know what happened there...
It was late (1am) and I was replying to all sorts of posts on multiple threads... I'm pretty sure I had a point, it just needs to be moved to the correct place. :p

KainXVIII

Don't do it. If they want to play, buy an Xbox one.

6%20salty%20foods.jpg

Saty

It's time people internalize that the vast majority of console users and the vast majority of console hardware sales are by people who just aren't interested in gaming on PC. They couldn't care less if a supposed XB1 exclusive is also on PC because the the PC isn't anywhere on their radar. As long as the game isn't on the other console it's as effective in impacting their purchase decision.

herod

This for me is where the "hardware competition is good" argument falls down, hardware competition in the console space is artificially propped up by exclusives, consumers don't see ANY benefit, we're just expected to stump up for a whole other console that is pretty much the same (or worse) than the one we've already got just to access a handful more games; that money could buy another ten games on kit we already own.

True hardware competition would require vendors to create significant USPs instead of just depending on exclusives to push systems. While hardware vendors hide behind exclusivity instead of putting out more desirable hardware or features, I'm going to continue to wish death upon the weak and overpriced hardware.

It would be nice if a standard emerged (Steam machines I guess are the thin end of the wedge here) such that we no longer have this single vendor hardware/software exclusivity concept.

shaowebb

Ooh nice. My computer could make that game sing visually. If it came to PC i'd hit it. Article is right though...I'm not going to buy a new stick and an X1 just for it, but I'd play if it was on PC and I could just use my current TE Stick.

Trickster

Yes please, even if I were to buy an X1, I'd never play KI on it due to having to buy a new fight stick just for that. And I aint about to become a pad warrior

Doffen

It wasn't the norm for any generation they didn't get rolled in. NES had a 3rd party monopoly. SNES had (at the very least) 3rd party parity, N64 got murdered by PlayStation almost entirely due to getting their 3rd party shit took. Gamecube was much the same despite having semi decent 3rd party support (just nothing compared to PS2), Wii had tons of third-party support at first, and died out as the HD twins became the primary platforms for 3rd party development . Wii U is Wii U.

And every iteration of Gameboy and DS has had dominant 3rd party support compared to whatever platform they competed against.

I'm not at all convinced.

What I'm trying to say is that these platforms survived a long time in the market due to exclusives. Now what if Nintendo didn't have these strong exclusive titles, would they still have consoles on the market? Would people be more interesting in owning one if they had less of exclusives and more of CoD, AC, Fifa, etc.?

Sure the platforms would be better positioned if they had everything and more, but I think an exclusive library is key to attract consumers.

Also I might be wrong, but aren't the top 10 best selling games on GB, GBA and DS exclusives published by Nintendo?

Synth

What I'm trying to say is that these platforms survived a long time in the market due to exclusives. Now what if Nintendo didn't have these strong exclusive titles, would they still have consoles on the market? Would people be more interesting in owning one if they had less of exclusives and more of CoD, AC, Fifa, etc.?

Sure the platforms would be better positioned if they had everything and more, but I think an exclusive library is key to attract consumers.

Also I might be wrong, but aren't the top 10 best selling games on GB, GBA and DS exclusives published by Nintendo?

I agree that Nintendo's certain Nintendo consoles survived primarily as a result of exclusives, however that doesn't prevent a lack of third party support being the cause of death of most dead platforms. I'm not disagreeing with you that exclusives are important (hell my earlier post basically stated that a machine without them is almost certainly doomed), however there's been basically no consoles that actually lacked exclusives to a meaningful degree, there has however been plenty that lacked third-party support and died off as a result. So lack of third-party support is the more general cause of a console's death.

As for if people would be more interested in owning them if they had less exclusives and more of the sorts of games you listed? Hell yes... that's basically why any console that does have those games keeps outselling them. Even the Gamecube was better off for this reason.

mdsfx

surely the xbone is a strong enough platform that it could stand on its own merits against PC?

if not, then it deserves to fucking die anyway.

If KI comes to PC, which I would love, I will sell my XB1. It's the ONLY reason I have one and it's the only game I play on it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's basically free brownie points. If we assume that the PC port is already on its way, Microsoft can spend a few weeks/months "gathering community opinions" and then announce the game by saying, "We've heard the community loud and clear..." That's exactly what happened with The Division: June 2013/August 2013.
I just made an account just to tell them I would buy it. I think that kind of awareness/personal investment is another reason for them to do it. You're just more likely to keep an eye out for something if you actually told someone you wanted it, and more likely to actually buy it if you said that you would. Not to mention now here we see everyone who wants it on GAF are all together in one thread, aware of each other, so a shadow community is forming ahead of time, and that would be the same elsewhere as well.

tariniel

I was tempted to buy an Xbox One around launch to play KI because it looked pretty fun but I resisted the impulse, but I would absolutely play a PC version. I have a stick and play the PC versions of USF4, Injustic, etc. pretty regularly with friends so I'm all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom