• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft gathering community opinions on porting Killer Instinct to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

In the end KI may well have more fans out side of the Xbox ecosystem due to its arcade, snes and n64 versions. In that sense, the result is pretty unsurprising.

Windows 10 exclusive tho, right?

That would certainly make me apprehensive on any purchase, since I have no idea if the service they provide will actually be trust worthy or even functional.

Braag

All but assured. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gold sub requirement in there somewhere too...

That would never work :D
They all ready tried that with GFWL at the beginning and nobody was stupid enough to pay for that on PC so they removed it.

Chobel

wFLXVRs.png

:O

Did anyone of those 545 person (voting for the 3rd option) give a compelling reason to why they oppose porting KI to PC?

ArjanN

Did anyone of those 545 person (voting for the 3rd option) give a compelling reason to why they oppose porting KI to PC?

I suffered through most of that thread, and the answer is...not really.

The only legitimate concern that I saw is resources being spread thin, but even if they announced KI for PC today, it wouldn't come out before season 2 is done anyway.

The rest was all just thinly (or not at all) veiled platform warrior stuff.

That would never work :D
They all ready tried that with GFWL at the beginning and nobody was stupid enough to pay for that on PC so they removed it.

They'll find a way to further monetize it. Their console would suffer negatively if their games were available on PC and didn't require a sub to play.

I am actually surprised that people would want to actively prevent a game from being able to be played by more people. Especially since the port would not be a techncially deficient one or change gameplay at all.

What wrong with making the game's community bigger?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I am actually surprised that people would want to actively prevent a game from being able to be played by more people. Especially since the port would not be a techncially deficient one or change gameplay at all.

people aren't looking large scale

you put on PC, you increase the audience and therefore increase the community... which then leads to more content.

KI is a game that deserves more support than it has been getting

-MD-

I'm not, people treat their console of choice like it's a part of them so when an exclusive gets lost they're losing ammo in arguments and list wars, some guy that dropped $500 on an XB1 to play KI is salty that you'll be able to play KI on PC without dropping all that extra money on the console.

people aren't looking large scale

you put on PC, you increase the audience and therefore increase the community... which then leads to more content.

KI is a game that deserves more support than it has been getting

This would be a great move for KI to expand its audience and get more exposure, as well as extend its life. Nobody is buying XB1s anymore for KI so PC just makes sense. Cross play would be huge, especially for xb1 players.

I'm not, people treat their console of choice like it's a part of them so when an exclusive gets lost they're losing ammo in arguments and list wars, some guy that dropped $500 on an XB1 to play KI is salty that you'll be able to play KI on PC without dropping all that extra money on the console.

This would be a great move for KI to expand its audience and get more exposure, as well as extend its life. Nobody is buying XB1s anymore for KI so PC just makes sense. Cross play would be huge, especially for xb1 players.

Sigh :(

It would also be a good list war option for those upset about SFV probably.

" Oh yeah, well KI does the same thing!"

Why would they need community input on this decision? Odd.
It could be 1 of two things:
1. It being a very community based game, like all FGC stuff, they care about maintaining that community and not alienating anyone.

2. They just wanted to guage interest in a direct manner. At least 1700 or so people signed up just to vote in that poll. A poll which was basically only shuffled around a few communtiy boards and an FGC website. Not bad IMO.

It's wrong to label everyone who wants console exclusive franchises to remain that way as juvenile fanboys. I'm honestly not sure where I stand in this discussion, because I can easily see valid arguments supporting both positions.

On one hand, of course I would ideally want everyone to have access to all the great games, the games to benefit from the best hardware, and the developers to benefit from the expanded audience.

On the other, by selling dedicated hardware to people, platform holders are making an unwritten commitment to that audience, the commitment to keep the platform healthy and keep the quality content flowing in. Unfortunately, without exclusive games, features and services, in reality that's difficult. Without exclusives, many people will shun the platform, and the install base will suffer. Without the install base, developers and publishers will have no incentive to support it with software, and so the console owners will be left with little to no games to play. It's not just fanboys fearing for losing their ammunition for pointless list wars, it's a valid and real concern for all owners of the platform.

Of course, if every platform holder allowed their games on PC, the situation would be different (although in that case all the non-PC platforms might be rendered obsolete), but you rarely see Sony and especially Nintendo let games leave their carefully guarded ecosystems. Migrating to PC is also not a satisfying option, because the platform has its demands and peculiarities that not every Xbox owner likes or wants to deal with.

So as I said, it's a complex issue that I would love to see resolved in a way that would satisfy everyone, and I'm eager to see how the situation develops, especially since everyone is slowly but assuredly moving away from closed hardware and in the direction of hardware-agnostic services.

MrBigBoy

If all X1 exclusives are coming out for PC, I'll sell my X1. No need to have two machines that can play the same games.

scitek

Good luck getting PC gamers to trust any service Microsoft puts on the platform ever again after the shutdown of Games For Windows Live renders some games unplayable (or at least half-unplayable) since they're not likely to be patched. Looking at you Bulletstorm. It'd just happen again, and It's too late to start over from scratch, so just stick with Steam and be done with it.

charsace

If Xbox exclusive games started going to PC I would just trade my xbox in since I game on PC anyways. No reason to have an xbox if I can get the games on PC.

Rizific

I'm not interested. Used to be a fan of ki way back when, but not so much anymore. But don't see why it shouldn't come to pc. Shit, EVERYTHING should be on pc.

virtualS

I'd love it if all Xbox games eventually found their way to PC. I'd love it even more if Windows 10 included Xbox as a standard so that any purchased XBOne game (retail/digital) would work on adequately specced PCs as standard. Game sales would go up substantially.

sleepykyo

cannibalism. IE. Xb1 users switching to PC.

resources being spread thin.

charsace

cannibalism. IE. Xb1 users switching to PC.

resources being spread thin.

Exactly this. The only reason to own a console now is for exclusive games as it isn't like the 90's anymore where most console games didn't see a PC release. If a consoles exclusives came out on PC then what is the point in owning said console? There is no point in owning that console. I would trade in my xbox with the quickness if the exclusive games came out for PC and invest the xbox money into my PC.

Exactly this. The only reason to own a console now is for exclusive games as it isn't like the 90's anymore where most console games didn't see a PC release. If a consoles exclusives came out on PC then what is the point in owning said console? There is no point in owning that console. I would trade in my xbox with the quickness if the exclusive games came out for PC and invest the xbox money into my PC.

It could just be a simpler, cheaper experience than a PC for most? Also, built in local multiplayer being focused on.
That is usually how I vie wconsoles in my mind.

Heigic

it's not like Microsoft makes money on the Xbox hardware that they sell. I don't understand why Microsoft or Xbox owners should care if people are playing within the Xbox ecosystem on an Xbox console or a Windows PC. There are a ton advantages to this for both Microsoft and consumers as long as it is a unified platform, and the only real disadvantage would be listwarz.

charsace

it's not like Microsoft makes money on the Xbox hardware that they sell. I don't understand why Microsoft or Xbox owners should care if people are playing within the Xbox ecosystem on an Xbox console or a Windows PC. There are a ton advantages to this for both Microsoft and consumers as long as it is a unified platform, and the only real disadvantage would be listwarz.

The only way this would make sense is if they have a gaming service on PC. If they are just gonna release it on PC like a regular release I would dump my xbox and just have the game on steam, origin, or whatever.

By your logic this would also benefit Nintendo and Sony too.

Krejlooc

Banned
I own the xbox one version and ive bought both season passes, but I'd rebuy the entire thing in an instant if they came to the pc. Killer instinct is so much fun, great game. Very easily my favorite and most played xbox one game.

-Cwalat-

Was this really a necessary comment?

I think it's somewhat a valid point though in terms of exclusivity. Why buy an Xbox One when a Playstation 4 does everything it does and has more exclusives? Why limit yourself?

It seems majority of Xbox One exclusives are now on PC or are coming to PC. Majority of PS4 exclusives won't come out on PC.

The point being, it's rather many games you will be missing out on, and lesser games you would miss out if you had a PS4.

I'm not trying to start a flamewar of any kind, just pointing out that he has a good point from an objective standpoint.

Other than those rare releases on Xbox One where they are truly exclusives (Halo, Quantum Break etc etc) there isn't any point in owning an Xbox One over PS4, from a games roster perspective. I'm sure there are other factors you may way in when buying your console, but i would rather not miss out on a ton of exclusives on PS4 than those few on Xbox One(that might still be ported to PC later on).

charsace

And the possibility of this coming to PC has stopped me from buying it on the X1 and just wait and see if a PC version is really coming since I would prefer it on that.

Kezen

Banned
And the possibility of this coming to PC has stopped me from buying it on the X1 and just wait and see if a PC version is really coming since I would prefer it on that.

On the other hand not everyone is interested in gaming on PC. From that angle it would not hurt the Xbox One I guess.

charsace

On the other hand not everyone is interested in gaming on PC. From that angle it would not hurt the Xbox One I guess.

There are a lot more PC gamers that people like to think, especially in Europe. If MS announces tomorrow that all of the studio's games will also be on PC you are gonna have to trade in your xbox quickly while you can still get good value for it because the trade in rush will be crazy.

Kezen

Banned
There are a lot more PC gamers that people like to think, especially in Europe. If MS announces tomorrow that all of the studio's games will also be on PC you are gonna have to trade in your xbox quickly while you can still get good value for it because the trade in rush will be crazy.

But PC gamers who happen to have the required hardware ?

Well im not buying an xbox so the only way Microsoft is getting my money for this is on pc. I have a Ps4 and a pc so I dont have much use for an xbox outside of this one game.

jelly

I don't think you would see much of a change if Xbox One games started to appear on PC. Console owners aren't sitting at home ready to build a gaming PC or connect their laptop/PC to the TV to replace Xbox One. A console is convenient, cheap, lasts a generation, easy to use before exclusives come into it. Also, so what if Windows 10 becomes a good home for Xbox games, Microsoft still gets paid for it and maybe even more than usual with Xbox One and PC gaming revenue. Why can't everybody win?

Maybe Quantum Break sells 4 million copies on Xbox and PC instead of 2 million on just Xbox One and Remedy have a chance to do more of what they want. I can live with it instead of thinking but Xbox One doesn't have true exclusives /tears

RedSwirl

On the other, by selling dedicated hardware to people, platform holders are making an unwritten commitment to that audience, the commitment to keep the platform healthy and keep the quality content flowing in. Unfortunately, without exclusive games, features and services, in reality that's difficult. Without exclusives, many people will shun the platform, and the install base will suffer. Without the install base, developers and publishers will have no incentive to support it with software, and so the console owners will be left with little to no games to play. It's not just fanboys fearing for losing their ammunition for pointless list wars, it's a valid and real concern for all owners of the platform.

What?

An exclusive game doesn't benefit anyone but the platform holder (and maybe the developer if they're being paid enough or can't make the game other wise. ex: Bayonetta 2). The owners of a system aren't suddenly adversely affected if a game shows up on another platform. Exclusives aren't the only thing that keep up an install base. The Xbox 360 was successful last gen mostly because Xbox Live reached a point of inertia where everybody and their friends played on it.

I don't think you would see much of a change if Xbox One games started to appear on PC. Console owners aren't sitting at home ready to build a gaming a PC or connect their laptop/PC to their TV to replace Xbox One. A console is convenient, cheap, lasts a generation, easy to use before exclusives come into it. Also, so what if Windows 10 becomes a good home for Xbox games, Microsoft still gets paid for it and maybe even more than usual with Xbox One and PC gaming revenue. Why can't everybody win!

This too. If every Xbox One game also showed up on PC, you wouldn't have every single Xbox One owner switching to a PC.

I guarantee you there are more dx11 capable machines in the world than there are xbox ones sold.
This, I have a 500 dollar pc made of mostly old parts but my weak ass gpu supports dx11 and runs most new games at medium or low so I get by. Might upgrade if I find a card with good price/performance.

Kezen

Banned
I guarantee you there are more dx11 capable machines in the world than there are xbox ones sold.

That's surely true considering DX11 has been around since 2009 but I'm not certain this is enough to conclude the Xbox One would suffer greatly if KI was to be ported to PC.
I believe it would be the case if higher profile releases make the jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom