• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Investor Wants To Fire Ballmer And Sell Xbox Division

Nokterian

No shit sherlock. How did you calculate that?
asfd3221125511352.jpg

That..that is a lot of cash down the drain. So if this happens and by happens if ever,this would be the end of xbox?

If you read "ValueAct, a $2 billion Microsoft investor with a 1% stake in the company" and laugh that they want to make changes because they only own 1% you need to think a little harder.

Opprtunity costs from where? Not selling the division?

Econ 101. You have 1 dollar to invest. Investment A returns 25%. Investment B returns 15%. Both are profitable. You take Investment A. The opportunity cost of B is that your return is lower than if you took A.

It doesn't matter if the Xbox division is profitable. If it's not the maximum possible return on investment (and there are a lot of factors at play here, it's not exactly cut and dry), then it's a negative proposition.

Yet investors are complaining about iwata who actually had some foresight (ignoring the Wii u). Most investors only care about short term. Same with politics these days it seems. It kills me that people don't think long term anymore and want results immediately without looking at long-term health.

Investors care about the potential for growth in the company more than its ability to drive profits for the fiscal year. Right now Nintendo doesn't look like it's able to become more profitable than it is right now, which is why its stock price is lower than before.

I feel like I see this sort of story pop up every year or so. It's yet to happen.

I'm surprised so many gaffers are unaware of how much money the Xbox division has lost Microsoft though.

V_Arnold

Did no one tell this braindead fella that when you do a long term investment, and have alreayd written off billions of dollars to estabilish it, then you do not start to conspire against that project within the company when it is starting to generate profits, you know...

... I mean, what the fuck?

Econ 101. You have 1 dollar to invest. Investment A returns 25%. Investment B returns 15%. Both are profitable. You take Investment A. The opportunity cost of B is that your return is lower than if you took A.

It doesn't matter if the Xbox division is profitable. If it's not the maximum possible return on investment (and there are a lot of factors at play here, it's not exactly cut and dry), then it's a negative proposition.

What Econ level is this? You launch a longterm project, eat up 7,000,000$ over a course of a few years. You arrive at today, and you have brand power, a huge marketshare, and you have a rolling subscription service that generates profits. What do you do with such a project?

Because if I were to turn this into an "econ 101 problem", the question would be: would you sell such a project at this point, or would you buy this project, since its estabilishment costs has already been paid off by its previous owner? :D

You have 1 dollar to invest. Investment A returns 25%. Investment B returns 15%. Both are profitable. You take Investment A. The opportunity cost of B is that your return is lower than if you took A.

So what "Investment A" to replace Xbox?

Did no one tell this braindead fella that when you do a long term investment, and have alreayd written off billions of dollars to estabilish it, then you do not start to conspire against that project within the company when it is starting to generate profits, you know...

This has been going on for years. MS entertainment division is a money hole.

Loakum

Banned
IF Microsoft actually did sell their Xbox division, and Sony bought it....can you imagine how gaming forums would be?

Omega

Banned
wow, how did the PSone and N64 have a year like 1998? How have they never had a year like that again? Insane. I cant believe the PSone in its prime was more profitable then the PS2.

you thought people were joking when they said 1998 was the best year in gaming?

all numbers prove this.

Parch

Shouldn't be a surprise. They took some lumps with the first two consoles.
Doesn't mean XBOne will lose money and I think there's zero chance that Microsoft would ever dreamcast it, but that doesn't mean they won't pull the plug on the gaming division after this gen.

From a gamer's POV, it should be a concern. If somebody doesn't pick up the pieces and provide adequate competition, we're going to see a $900 PS5.

Shiggy

I'm sure you have a lot more investment experience than they do... I guess you never had a financial or management class.

The D Man

Banned

Read up on the concept of sunk costs. What you've already spent has no bearing on future decision making when you're looking at where to allocate resources

Wasn't it Ballmer who suggested that Xbox should be spun off into its own brand and company, with Microsoft as a majority shareholder?

I distinctly remember that news story. But MS I guess decided to lump it in with Zune and mobile/TV losses at the time.

Microsoft can turn around their gaming division much more easily than they can turn around Windows. Windows is an enormous project designed around desktop PCs, which in the general world of computing is having a bit of an identity crisis. They didn't gear Windows 8 toward tablet usage because they had fuck all to spend their money and time on, they did it because that's the space where computers are moving. Windows, however, is still inherently a desktop OS and would be extremely difficult to enter the more mobile computing space with it.

With the gaming division it's simple: gain consumer goodwill by stopping the nickel-and-dime policy. Given their past numbers it's not like even working anyway. Stop with the ridiculous extravagant ad campaigns that are a giant money sink. Stop shutting down (Ensemble) or eviscerating (Rare) perfectly competent developers because they don't what to do with them or they make one game with lukewarm sales. Stop killing your own reputation with idiotic bullshit like the always-online, Kinect-required, TV! TV! TV! approaches on your console. Stop antagonizing your own PC space and actually release games on it. Stop trying to force people to buy your new Windows OS by arbitrarily locking out older OSs from stuff like new DirectX versions. Stop stupid mistakes like releasing Games for Windows Live and acting surprised when nobody wanted to pay a subscription for it, then letting it rot for years until the service shuts down taking tons of games with it. Spend money actually being productive with new games and IPs instead of wasting tons of cash preventing the competition from getting content by moneyhatting timed exclusives/DLC.

But I doubt these investors are actually thinking about these things in those terms. More than likely they're pissing themselves over the bottom line and demanding sweeping action with little regard of the fact that the gaming division is one of the more promising ventures from Microsoft. What else are they supposed to focus on? Bing? Windows Phone? Surface? Those are more promising than the gaming division? Please.

LOL

What a moron... Despite taking some heat, Xbox is the one product that carries the most good will in all of Microsoft... And links together so many important content assets that are mandatory in post PC world

This is a guy without vision.

So many pieces are in play

I love posts like these. Because you know better than someone who has 2 billion wrapped up in an investment.

AniHawk

Shouldn't be a surprise. They took some lumps with the first two consoles.
Doesn't mean XBOne will lose money and I think there's zero chance that Microsoft would ever dreamcast it, but that doesn't mean they won't pull the plug on the gaming division after this gen.

From a gamer's POV, it should be a concern. If somebody doesn't pick up the pieces and provide adequate competition, we're going to see a $900 PS5.

i doubt it. the next playstation will be a service that you can subscribe to using a playstation box or one of many other sony devices. eventually they'll be implemented into sony televisions themselves without the need for extra hardware.

pompidu

Yet investors are complaining about iwata who actually had some foresight (ignoring the Wii u). Most investors only care about short term. Same with politics these days it seems. It kills me that people don't think long term anymore and want results immediately without looking at long-term health.

It's been 13 years and they haven't made any ROI from xbox yet. This generation will determine if they stay in the console business.

Guevara

Reading around it seems like the threat of a fight with ValueAct was actually what motivated Ballmer to step aside.

Microsoft was also, already, considering giving ValueAct a board seat.

I guess the question is if this will placate ValueAct or will they continue to pursue a board seat.
Yes, more on that:

The fund, co-founded by finance industry veteran Jeff Ubben in 2000, has made a reputation for building stakes in companies and working with management in private to change fundamental strategy. ValueAct's other major holdings include Adobe Systems Inc, Motorola Solutions Inc and Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc.

In recent months a number of Microsoft's top institutional investors have contacted ValueAct, expressing concern over management execution and strategy, the sources said.
Microsoft's huge stock drop on Friday, prompted by its financial results and a $900 million write-down on the value of unsold Surface tablets, provoked fresh skepticism of Ballmer's new plan to reshape Microsoft around devices and services.

"The recent reorganization does not fix the tablet or smartphone problem," Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund said in a note to clients on Friday. "The devices opportunity just received a $900 million hardware write-off for Surface RT and investors may not even like the idea of wading deeper into this territory."
ValueAct is thought to oppose Microsoft's recent foray into making its own devices.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/19/net-us-microsoft-valueact-idUSBRE96I14920130719?type=companyNews

I think ValueAct was just the tip of the spear.

Joni

Probably a larger investment into improving Windows, breaking into the mobile sector, expanding beyond PCs, etc.
ValueAct actually wants to dump most consumer stuff so that would include Windows Mobile.

Wasn't it Ballmer who suggested that Xbox should be spun off into its own brand and company, with Microsoft as a majority shareholder?
Mattrick. Ballmer was against it.

Read up on the concept of sunk costs. What you've already spent has no bearing on future decision making when you're looking at where to allocate resources
Unless of course you want to get stuck with a gigantic money sink of a project.

asfd3221125511352.jpg

Don't know if that is accurate but if true than it's understandable that investors would say this.

Edit: Beaten

1) Charts from your ass.
2) There isn't a Gaming division. The segmented financials don't even break out the huge losses from stuff like Zune and Kin. It's ALL under 'Entertainment'. Xbox is the best thing going in that division now.

asfd3221125511352.jpg

Don't know if that is accurate but if true than it's understandable that investors would say this.

It's understandable that investors would want to get rid of a division that became consistently profitable after Don Mattrick took control? LOL.

Bing is just now starting to become profitable after billions in losses. All the investors who were calling for MS to sell Bing are now looking like idiots. When your business becomes profitable that is not the time to get rid of it.

This topic is such a fanboy wetdream. Xbox is strategically important in fighting Google and Apple with services like Skype, Bing, Xbox Music & Video, Skydrive, etc.

Without the Xbox foothold in the living room all of Microsoft services take a hit. Apple promotes FaceTime over Skype, Google promotes it's search in the living room over Bing, etc. Not going to happen.

Shiggy

I love posts like these. Because you know better than someone who has 2 billion wrapped up in an investment.

The majority of NeoGAF does not have a business-, finance-, or management-related background, I suppose.

Bing is just now starting to become profitable after billions in losses. All the investors who were calling for MS to sell Bing are now looking like idiots. When your business becomes profitable that is not the time to get rid of it.

That depends on various factors. Such a general statement is outright wrong, a lot of private equity firms would like to have a word with you.

What Econ level is this? You launch a longterm project, eat up 7,000,000$ over a course of a few years. You arrive at today, and you have brand power, a huge marketshare, and you have a rolling subscription service that generates profits. What do you do with such a project?

Because if I were to turn this into an "econ 101 problem", the question would be: would you sell such a project at this point, or would you buy this project, since its estabilishment costs has already been paid off by its previous owner? :D

Newsflash: Companies drop profitable ventures all the time, and sunk costs are just that: sunk. They're gone. Yesterday's news. If the prospects for the future aren't as favorable as other options, you go with the other options. Well-run companies aren't in the habit of throwing good money after bad, or choosing the lesser course for a profitable future, all things held equal. Investors would not let them get away with it.

itsgreen

asfd3221125511352.jpg

God fucking damned.

Investors/stockholders don't make these kind of comparisons.

They ONLY care about future performance, and for a smaller part current performance.

From that graph they only care about the last two bars, and actually only the last one and the way it is moving... and the reasons for that move... (FY11, FY12)

Top Bottom