• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Investor Wants To Fire Ballmer And Sell Xbox Division

It's understandable that investors would want to get rid of a division that became consistently profitable after Don Mattrick took control? LOL.

Bing is just now starting to become profitable after billions in losses. All the investors who were calling for MS to sell Bing are now looking like idiots. When your business becomes profitable that is not the time to get rid of it.

This topic is such a fanboy wetdream. Xbox is strategically important in fighting Google and Apple with services like Skype, Bing, Xbox Music & Video, Skydrive, etc.

Without the Xbox foothold in the living room all of Microsoft services take a hit. Apple promotes FaceTime over Skype, Google promotes it's search in the living room over Bing, etc. Not going to happen.

You sell when you can convince someone to buy it for more than you actually think its worth, and when you think you can find a better use for the money. Profit or loss is tangential.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I'll be upset if this happens, yeah MS is most commonly seen as a greedy company but they did some good with the Xbox and 360 (One remains to be seen).
I wonder who would legitimately fill the gap they leave, Apple?

The most amusing part of all this was that a few years ago, a lot of people were saying that there might not even be PS4 if Sony continues bleeding money so hard. Fast forward to 2013, even Daniel Loeb doesn't want to attack Playstation, while Xbox gets to be a prime target for sell off in an activist push. How things have changed.

Nice example. Only problem is there is no investment A here. If there was they would invest in both, cause they are not thin on ressources.
The Xbox division can potentially generate billions of profit per year and can cement there leadership / monopoly in other markets. Selling it, after getting nice profits out of it, after eating billions in looses doesn't make sense for them. There is no real gain in selling for them.

The thing you're missing is that resources are indeed finite, even for the biggest companies. And there comes a point where spending a dollar to make 10 cents is not worth it, if your target rate of return is 15 cents. Give that dollar back to your investors (dividend, stock buyback, etc.) and keep going for those higher rates of returns.

Remember, profitable companies get killed all the time on the stock market. Why? Because profits aren't rising quick enough, aren't at the right margin, aren't at previous levels of growth. Investors don't care that your product makes money. They ask if it is making enough money.

Here is where I bow out and say I am not qualified to suggest that Xbox isn't making enough money, or what Microsoft could do if they weren't doing Xbox. Obviously, the investment group in the OP have stronger and more informed opinions on this.

Shiggy

1% is still a tiny amount when looking at the whole pie...

right?

Quoted from above:
1Nv2W1P.png

Shtof

Yeah, the key difference between the Playstation and the Xbox is that while the Xbox project is still in red counting the total lifetime, Playstation used to be one of the most profitable brands in entertainment.

The most amusing part of all this was that a few years ago, a lot of people were saying that there might not even be PS4 if Sony continues bleeding money so hard. Fast forward to 2013, even Daniel Loeb doesn't want to attack Playstation, while Xbox gets to be a prime target for sell off in an activist push. How things have changed.

It is quite amusing, I would love it if the hardware section goes nowhere and the studios get sold off one by one.

numble

I've got a business degree. Now, it's just a bachelor's (Information Systems), not an MBA, but I had to take two terms of finance, three of economics, three of accounting, one of operations management, et al.

No offense, but if half the people in this thread had ever taken one finance class, the discussion here would be completely different. The amount of ignorance so far is, well, understandable, I guess. It's a gaming fan site.

I am more educated than you, if you were just a fraction as educated as I am, we could discuss something. But your lack of education is understandable, I guess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reading on this guy's background (Jeff Ubben, the head of ValueAct), it's pretty clear he wants MS to focus on B2B/Cloud/Enterprise. When asked about the consumer business and threats to that business he literally answered 'who cares?'.

I think if this guy did get into the MS board it might be worse for Xbox to stay than to go.

dcx4610

The problem with stuff like the Xbox One, especially at the start of a new console cycle is that it costs the company a boat load of money upfront with R&D, then you sell your console at a loss for years and years before hoping to make a tiny profit for another couple.

Investors don't see making a few million in profit after the initial costs upfront to be very successful.

Incoming Samsung Xbox.

Opiate

Getting rid of Xbox makes more sense for Microsoft than getting rid of Playstation does to Sony.

Microsoft is still a high margin company making large profits. Segments which underperform, produce slim margins or even (as has been the case often for the Xbox division) produce losses is relatively bad. By comparison, Sony as a whole company runs razor thin margins or losses, so another division doing that isn't necessarily a weight around their neck.

I suspect neither will happen, of course. I just wanted to make it clear why this discussion isn't as absurd when talking about MS as it is when taking about Sony, even though in the recent past the Microsoft's EDD has significantly outperformed Sony's Gaming division.

Joni

What's with investors these day.

Sony investor wants to get rid of the gaming division, MS investor wants to get rid of the gaming division.
Loeb didn't want to get rid off PlayStation. He mainly wanted to get rid off Sony Music and Sony Pictures, stuff that doesn't do hardware.

Reading on this guy's background (Jeff Ubben, the head of ValueAct), it's pretty clear he wants MS to focus on B2B/Cloud/Enterprise. When asked about the consumer business and threats to that business he literally answered 'who cares?'.

I think if this guy did get into the MS board it might be worse for Xbox to stay than to go.

My hunch, and thanks for digging into it, was that this guy was thinking of the business market, thinking Microsoft should double down on it because there are certainly profits to be made (and protected) in the business space. He also might see this war for the living room to be a losing proposition, much like a bunch of us armchair, unqualified gamer analysts have also wondered.

Sinthor

Gold Member
One comparison that you can make between Microsoft as a whole and Sony as a whole is this. Microsoft, for the last several years, has made a profit. Sony, on the other hand, has not made a profit in like 8 years. They just recently made a profit last year. Of course this is talking about the companies as a whole and not the Xbox and Playstation divisions.

So in other words...a totally irrelevant comparison? :) Just giving you a hard time. But seriously, you have to compare the same divisions. Otherwise you could compare say the Windows division to Sony's TV and display panel division. It's gotta be apples to apples and in this case, comparing the company's as a whole against each other just doesn't hold a lot of relevance for the topic of discussion.

Man, this is getting exciting. Microsoft is at a crossroads where the possibility of selling off the Xbox division is actually quite possible, and is being asked to do so by those that have significant sway in the company.

The gaming industry as a whole seems to be on the verge of being completely turned on its head with shocking new developments.

Curufinwe

I have already explained exactly why the data being tossed about in this thread is complete bullshit.

Is this data bullshit?

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/the-making-of-the-xbox-part-2/

After four years, Microsoft’s Home and Entertainment Group reported a total loss of $4 billion. That number included some other money-losing ventures too. But the vast majority of it was due to Xbox and the loss that the company was taking on every machine that it made. Insiders believed that Microsoft lost $3.7 billion on the original Xbox by 2005. That amounted to a $168 loss on every machine that Microsoft sold.

The graph was posted in reference to ValueAct's claim that the Xbox has not made money over its lifetime. If you have the figures to prove otherwise, please post them.

Raist

Banned
That investor saw that report about the $100 million cost of the Xbox One controller and started plotting. I easily see them losing money this fiscal year as result of marketing, manufacturing, and strategy changes to the Xbox One. I can't imagine the cost of a free FIFA pack-in game to Microsoft in Europe.

Having said that, this is not happening anytime soon. There's a better chance of a $20 XBL tier than this.

Yeah, I don't think that actually spent 100M on that thing.

Coolwhip

Banned
Man, this is getting exciting. Microsoft is at a crossroads where the possibility of selling off the Xbox division is actually quite possible, and is being asked to do so by those that have significant sway in the company.

The gaming industry as a whole seems to be on the verge of being completely turned on its head with shocking new developments.

popcorn.gif indeed

AmFreak

Do you really think the Xbox one will sell that much better than the Xbox360? because if it doesn't, there may be profits but they won't be high enough for MS investors. For a 10+ year investment the one needs to take off. Or MS will have built their last console.

And if the OS division doesn't make more profit, it will be their last os?
Where were those investors at the XBox or 360 era?
Where were the Sony investors at the PS3?
You also talk about investors as if they were one unified voice.
Unless they are the majority investors basicly can't do shit.
Those generalizations are just worthless.

LAMBO

Microsoft's hardware is just rarely good. Xbox's have been the exception. As an investor myself i do with they would focus more on software. Focus on making windows better, making office better, and PAY ME A DIVIDEND.

The Flash

Banned
So in other words...a totally irrelevant comparison? :) Just giving you a hard time. But seriously, you have to compare the same divisions. Otherwise you could compare say the Windows division to Sony's TV and display panel division. It's gotta be apples to apples and in this case, comparing the company's as a whole against each other just doesn't hold a lot of relevance for the topic of discussion.

Yeah I knew my comparison wasn't going to be very good lol :p

And if the OS division doesn't make more profit, it will be their last os?
Where were those investors at the XBox or 360 era?
Where were the Sony investors at the PS3?
You also talk about investors as if they were one unified voice.
Unless they are the majority investors basicly can't do shit.
Those generalizations are just worthless.
They were there, they complained a lot, but now other MS stuff is flopping as well.

And no, a minority can do things, they also are threatening to do something if I understand the article correctly.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
No need to be. This reminds me of the doom and gloom PS3 articles back in the day, nothing became of them and it will be the same here.

Of course not, lets just close are eyes and go back to enjoying our multi-million budget games on our consoles that are sold at a loss, and occasionaly complain about dlc and "corporate greed". It cant change, cause that would mean that we no longer get our games.. they wouldnt dare do that to us.

What's with investors these day.

Sony investor wants to get rid of the gaming division, MS investor wants to get rid of the gaming division.

I don't remember any Sony investors wanting to get rid of it gaming division .
For years it has been the media part but i could be wrong .
Either way after what MS did this year to the xbox brand it would be a much harder to sell.

EDIT replace movies with media. .

Is this data bullshit?

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/the-making-of-the-xbox-part-2/

The graph was posted in reference to ValueAct's claim that the Xbox has not made money over its lifetime. If you have the figures to prove otherwise, please post them.

It's incomplete, therefore it is bullshit. It would be really awesome if MS would start segmenting their P&Ls with finer granularity.

Annual Xbox profits and losses for the last 12 years are hidden away, lacking context due to phones and MP3 players and communication tools.

Absinthian

Neo Member
Microsoft has over 8,000,000,000 shares, so a 1% share in Microsoft is an investment worth over $80,000,000. They definately have a huge influence on the direction Microsoft goes in the future
Edit:
Um, no- it's worth 80 million shares multiplied by the current market price per share. Microsoft itself is worth a lot more than $8 billion.

Oh right... Not paying attention to my math... Microsoft closed today at $34.75 per share, so 1% is around a $3,000,000,000 investment.

I don't remember any Sony investors wanting to get rid of it gaming division .
For years it has been the movie part but i could be wrong .
Either way after what MS did this year to the xbox brand it would be a much harder to sell.

I dont know if its even sellable as a whole, but if they broke it up, they could get a lot of money.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

But that is perfectly logical. Microsoft is a high margin software company with its toes in marginal businesses that drag down overall margin and profitability. Sony is a zombie company attached to a bank. Sony cannot afford to ditch potentially positive margin businesses while what the rest of the company does remains so low margin.

When you think about it, gaming hardware is kind of an odd fit for Microsoft. Xbox made a lot more sense when the living room was still the center of the universe. Apple fucked that up for sure. Ultimate revenge, lol

But that is perfectly logical. Microsoft is a high margin software company with its toes in marginal businesses that drag down overall margin and profitability. Sony is a zombie company attached to a bank. Sony cannot afford to ditch potentially positive margin businesses while what the rest of the company does remains so low margin.

When you think about it, gaming hardware is kind of an odd fit for Microsoft. Xbox made a lot more sense when the living room was still the center of the universe. Apple fucked that up for sure. Ultimate revenge, lol
Steve Jobs is somewhere laughing hysterically.

Raist

Banned
The thread was already toast when people started bullshit graphs.

The bottom line is Microsoft's financials are only segmented down to the Entertainment and Devices division (including not just Xbox but also money sinks like Zune, Kin, Windows Phone 7, and even products like Skype) but we've got a bunch of Charts From My Ass that pretend to track Xbox profits. This thread is fucked and most of the posters are here to parrot what they want to believe.

So you think that WP, Zune and Skype have cost Microsoft $6B at the very least?

This chart is inaccurate. The data shown in this chart is for everything in Microsoft's 'Entertainment & Devices Division', which includes Xbox, Skype, and Windows Phone finances.

One phone, the Kin, that was discontinued after two months, was a quarter of a billion dollar write-off. How much was lost on Zune? They aren't saying. How much was lost on other phones and gadgets? They aren't saying. All of this is included in the EDD results with Xbox.

So you think that WP, Zune and Skype have cost Microsoft $6B at the very least?

I don't know. Neither do you.

Top Bottom