• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

GHG

Gold Member
Breaking news (well a rumour for now since it's only "sources") - will update post more sources as they come in:

Edit: update, reuters report:

May 17 (Reuters) - Microsoft (MSFT.O), opens new tab plans to release the coming installment of "Call of Duty" videogame to its subscription service instead of the longtime approach of only selling it à la carte, the Wall Street Journal reported, opens new tab on Friday.
The plans are expected to be announced at the company's annual Xbox showcase next month, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter.
Microsoft did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Only the latest? Aw shit, I'd love to replay the first 2 games, and they never seem to go on sale on Steam either.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Insane if you ask me.

Probably the most expensive (and risky) Hail Mary of all time across the industry.

Possibly, but they have been reiterating the 'first party on day 1' mantra numerous times even after the acquisition completed. Whether they may have wanted to or not, they've put themselves in a position where if they didn't put it out on day 1, it would have received a lot of PR flack and lots of news and articles like 'looks like xbox has lost faith in game pass' etc etc.

Not that this tweet is 100%, unless MS puts out official PR about it, it could still change.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm happy as a Game Pass subscriber, but I think there's legitimate concern that this is going to devalue/lower direct sales of COD games from here on out.

HUGE risk for MS, and this decision could impact the entire gaming landscape. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
CoD unit sales will drop off, but if they can get people to sub for a year at $10.99 for CoD, then they'll make more per player than they are now, right? Does that math math?

GHG

Gold Member
Possibly, but they have been reiterating the 'first party on day 1' mantra numerous times even after the acquisition completed. Whether they may have wanted to or not, they've put themselves in a position where if they didn't put it out on day 1, it would have received a lot of PR flack and lots of news and articles like 'looks like xbox has lost faith in game pass' etc etc.

Not that this tweet is 100%, unless MS puts out official PR about it, it could still change.

I think they are banking on a large proportion of the shortfall being made up by sales on other platforms.

But yes, if they didn't follow through on the gamepass promise that they made multiple times throughout the fight to get the acquisition over the line then there probably wouldn't have been any way back from them in terms of trust and public perception.

feynoob

Gold Member
I think they are banking on a large proportion of the shortfall being made up by sales on other platforms.

But yes, if they didn't follow through on the gamepass promise that they made multiple times throughout the fight to get the acquisition over the line then there probably wouldn't have been any way back from them in terms of trust and public perception.
They want that pc gamepass users.

i have not subbed to gamepass this year. but cod might change my mind.

Insane if you ask me.

Probably the most expensive (and risky) Hail Mary of all time across the industry.
I wonder how risky it really is. Most of their revenue doesn't come from Xbox sales of the mainline games. I'm curious how much they actually end up eating and what effect it has on console sales and Game Pass subs. It'll certainly tell us the future of Game Pass once the numbers come in. I'm also curious how much this affects PC sales.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Pride is definately not a reason to devalue one of the most valuable properties in the world.

This is only going to go one way for Microsoft and CoD.

They’ve released the latest Forza Motorsport and Bethesda Game Studios’ latest RPG on the service and the overall trend has been a decline in subscribers. They reached the ceiling years ago.

In my opinion this is a poor decision for the health of the division but I suppose we’ll have to wait and see.

Elios83

They're truly dumb.
They're gonna break an important revenues stream and devalue the IP that costed 70 billions to get for an irrelevant holiday season subscribers boost.
After this happens they're gonna announce more cuts, closures and restructuring at Activision.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
No comment from Microsoft as yet:

May 17 (Reuters) - Microsoft (MSFT.O), opens new tab plans to release the coming installment of "Call of Duty" videogame to its subscription service instead of the longtime approach of only selling it à la carte, the Wall Street Journal reported, opens new tab on Friday.
The plans are expected to be announced at the company's annual Xbox showcase next month, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter.
Microsoft did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Nahh.........if this fails, you think MS, who just spent 90B over the last few years on acquisitions are going to be happy with tanking the value of what they just purchased?
I don't believe they will just blame GP and keep on trucking. And even if they did and ended it, what do they fall back to? Traditional sales? That's not really working either.

hinch7

Nahh.........if this fails, you think MS, who just spent 90B over the last few years on acquisitions are going to be happy with tanking the value of what they just purchased?
I don't believe they will just blame GP and keep on trucking. And even if they did and ended it, what do they fall back to? Traditional sales? That's not really working either.
ABK is proping up their gaming division atm. The next release is going to be big, being the next Treyarch game and BLOPs. This seems like a desperate move.

Top Bottom