• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Ballmer storming into Adam's office:

1063552-steve_ballmer.jpg

"U no u don fucked up right?"

It's really hard to be serious about this now.

He will not be fired. This guy might suck at PR and the internet, but real PR folks will want to bury this quickly.

Public firing would be the opposite, since it'd only draw more negative attention.

If they respond at all, it'll be brief, and downplay the whole thing.

Yup, like I posted 2 pages back, this will be the official BS-I mean PR:

"Adam was just giving his personal opinion on the matter via harmless tweets on Twitter. It in no way indicates our official direction of our Xbox platform. We are pleased at the excitement for what will come next for the Xbox, please stay tuned!"

Reiko

Banned
Yup, like I posted 2 pages back, this will be the official BS-I mean PR:

"Adam was just giving his personal opinion on the matter via harmless tweets on Twitter. It in no way indicates our official direction of our Xbox platform. We are pleased at the excitement for what will come next for the Xbox, please stay tuned!"

I wouldn't be surprised if MS just copy pastes your PR as their own. It's too good.

Sorral

Holy shit, that was fast. clap.gif

O_O

Shit is getting real.

lol it has been real for a couple of hours. It was getting very viral earlier. I said the best is yet to come and still think that.
Right now:

NeoGAF > Kotaku > Reddit > gematsu/other small websites > TheVerge > CNET

Instro

well i guess one of the positive things about this is MS is going to know how much hatred always online has and it's a pretty enormous fail move on their part.

The question is, will they care? If they think they can sell this to people, they are not going to change course over internet backlash. They certainly didn't change direction after all the shit that Windows 8 continues to get.

UberTag

I would assume the Gamestop CEO was the positive article this week. He was down of the next Xbox but seems to change his tune.
That's only because Gamestop still gets to buy & sell used games in the 'one activation per purchase' retail era. Nothing more, nothing less.

watership

Your points are great and you've definitely resonated with me.

As a consumer, I just want to go with the most enjoyable, cost efficient, and hassle-free entertainment product. We can empathize with employees and all, but the corporation itself ultimately isn't interested in our feelings. The prices are going to keep going up and somebody is going to be affected.

You're right. I should rephrase that to say that I feel for the people who are working the new Xbox.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It has nothing to do with loyalty. This is how I have been using the technology for the past generation. The absolute only thing I ever do on my Xbox when not signed into Xbox Live is watch DVDs. The device is a fucking brick without Xbox Live as far as I'm concerned. That isn't Microsoft who says that. That's how I feel about it.

An Xbox 360 without Xbox Live Gold is a steaming pile of shit. Why would I ever use my Xbox when the Internet is down. Everything I do on an Xbox including saving and syncing my consoles together requires being online. That's Xbox 360 I'm talking about, not Durango.

That's fine if you disagree, but that's how I've been living for 7 years now.
I would never play my Xbox 360 offline so this decision would have nothing but positive benefits for me. It means no longer building games like it is 2004 anymore, it means building single player games that involve sharing and communicating and competing with other people.

Holy hell!?! How did you get access to the Xbox Cloud system before it was even released??

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I wonder what motivates MS in doing this in terms of incremental revenues. Stppying piracy? Collecting more data from our habits through always on Kinect? I don't get what would make it worthy.

One simple question: Is there anything said about Durango yet, that's something people actually want and feel excited about? Except for "More power!!!1" of course.

watership

well i guess one of the positive things about this is MS is going to know how much hatred always online has and it's a pretty enormous fail move on their part.

I bet you that even if they never had any plans for always online, or that it was grossly misreported in rumors, people will assume that Microsoft freaked out and changed their minds a the last minute.

The Light

Going to be hard to bury this. Dude is a meme now. I can already see people mentioning this anytime durango related news is posted.

Reiko

Banned
One simple question: Is there anything said about Durango yet, that's something people actually want and feel excited about? Except for "More power!!!1" of course.

The only good thing is the rumored software and the devs hard at work creating them.

There are some very cool first party devs at Microsoft, I do not want them to be grouped with this PR nightmare.

BeerSnob

lol that is true I don't think Microsoft can win in this situation.

People will buy their product and they will make money. By corporate standards, that's all you need to win. I don't think they care if their customers dislike them as long as they keep getting paid.

EDIT: That was a cheeky tweet by Kaz.

Tratorn

This was good for MS, now they know the kind of backslash they'd get and won't implement this (hopefully).
But well, Neogaf & some other forums aren't the whole world, so maybe they just won't care...

I really can't make heads or tails of your logic. Always online isn't some magic bullet that somehow ensures every project invested in is profitable. Nobody is going to suddenly think they have to buy every game/app just because their console is always online. But they may very well decide not to buy games if that's the barrier for entry.

Pretty simple you can make a lot more money off of consumers who are connected to the Internet. Most mobile games developers depend on there being an Internet connection.

People are not going to stop buying games if they require online. Bungie's Destiny is not doomed because of online nor are any of Blizzards games.

Sure it's a barrier to entry to some people, but it's also an incentive to a lot of people to finally connect their console for the first time. The question is whether you build the console and it's games around the lowest common denominator or not. I was heavily against Microsoft's decision to make the HDD optional in Xbox 360. I don't think you empower game developers to make the most of the system by making features of the console optional. This is why I'm also a big fan of the mandatory Kinect thing too. If you make it optional then they can't design their games around it.

So, is this thread a preview of the shitstorm that will happen when MS announce always online officially?

it's going to be flooded with kinect jokes, this guy jokes, ad jokes... it's going to be an interesting thread once they announce everything but it would be an interesting twist if everything everyone said was wrong

Top Bottom