• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Tratorn

Google it...

It's spreading through lots of gaming forums.

If it's on Twitter it'll eventually spread to Facebook as well.

Look at how many people were fooled by the fake Xbox 720 Beta signups that even Major Nelson had to comment on.

You misunderstood me.
Yes, it'll spread over the whole internet.
But maybe they think (doesn't matter if that's the case or not) that in the "real world" outside the internet-forums/sites they can ignore these people [who won't buy a 720 now], because they're the minority.

Cyborg

juDiybQ.jpg

Epic, just saw this!
Im crying here at my work..........colleagues asking me why I am laughing

This guy is getting fired the day after the Xbox 3 is announced and not before as firing him before the unveil would only confirm the rumours.

Rourkey

I think this isn't gonna have much of a bearing on things as people think/(hope), no 2nd hand games might though unless they reduce prices if brand new games to compensate

JCreasy

Damn.

I wonder if the Wall Street Journal will pick this up tomorrow.

If that happens . . . well, wow.

Microsoft has GOT to say something, right?

Reiko

Banned
You misunderstood me.
Yes, it'll spread over the whole internet.
But maybe they think (doesn't matter if that's the case or not) that in the "real world" outside the internet-forums/sites they can ignore these people [who won't buy a 720 now], because they're the minority.

Hitting Facebook trickles down to soccer moms, and little children who don't even know of the existence of NeoGAF. That's how it really spreads and it's very easy.

Would be hilarious if this makes Inside Edition.

saunderez

If you spend any money on games then you have a dog in this fight. Microsoft will only change its policies if the money talks.
Yep, I've got near 100 Xbox 360 games sitting on my shelf (Xbox only household) and that's 100 sales that are going to Sony next gen if this is all true. Plus 6 years of Xbox Live Gold. Quite a chunk of change, though I'm sure people will say Microsoft doesn't care if I take my business elsewhere. If so they don't like money as much as I was lead to believe.

Microsoft needs to quell this NOW. Radio silence up to the announcement is not good enough.

Stasis

Jesus, he's getting a public lynching.

I'm gonna love every minute of it tbh, such a smug little ...

I'm kind of amazed that he didn't realize how badly this would backfire. If you're going to be this arrogant at least have the intelligence to back it up. Now he just looks ridiculous. GJ.

Cyborg

But guys, if the next-xbox is more powerful than PS4 we will forget about this and still buy it! You know this is the truth!

Gestahl

He would have to be creative as fuck to not even get at the very least a harsh, punitive reprimand out of this clown show

watership

Microsoft has GOT to say something, right?

The guys who are working on the new Xbox announcement event probably hate Adam Orth now. And no, I bet Microsoft doesn't say anything. They probably should, but if the rumours are false, they should keep quiet and go big with the announce on their schedule.

Yet, every other day, more and more people are making an emotional decision not to buy the next Xbox. Regardless if the rumour or true or not. It just puts it and Microsoft in a bad way.

Bovadose

Neo Member
because gamers are arbitrary as all hell

Not all games use Steam's DRM. Some games just use steam as an installer. So, you can just browse to the exe and launch the game without even having to launch Steam. That's very different compared to this.

I did test this using one of my games just now and it worked just fine. Apparently all of Paradox's games are like this.

I feel bad for this guy but he brought it on himself. I hope he doesn't get fired or anything though. That would make MS look worse than they already do from all this imo.

BIZ*TAKE

Banned
If you spend any money on games then you have a dog in this fight. Microsoft will only change its policies if the money talks.

Lets all be a little honest with ourselves. How many times in a calendar year was your Internet connection down, for an EXTENDED period of time? What's a bigger money loser, joe gamer who paid his $60+ for his legit copy of a game or mr. Fuck you imma pirate my shit cuz I don't give a fuck? You reap what you something,something...

I'm really looking forward to how they manage to market that from an end user benefits POV.

"With 'always online' we can deliver the most exciting, relevant and convenient advertising content to the consumer at all times! Never again will anyone miss an opportunity to purchase content from Xbox or our advertising partners!"

Ploid 3.0

This is what happens when you take so long to talk about your upcoming hardware acting if it doesn't exist, especially months after your competitor revealed their product. You get people pecking away at info and your employees that know stuff find it tough not to let things slip.

Darryl

Banned
Lets all be a little honest with ourselves. How many times in a calendar year was your Internet connection down, for an EXTENDED period of time? What's a bigger money loser, joe gamer who paid his $60+ for his legit copy of a game or mr. Fuck you imma pirate my shit cuz I don't give a fuck? You reap what you something,something...

it was raining all last night where i live and when it rains, the internet goes down. what do i like to do when it rains? play offline video games or read books

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I tried to get Google to translate this into English...

Easily 20+
And that's starting from January 1, 2013.

By the way, this dude is a dick.

Top Bottom