• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Reiko

Banned
Has this been posted?

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg

Aaron Greenberg responding saying:

Strange that Aaron Greenberg doesn't know who the guy is, given he's the "Chief of Staff for Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft"

urlgv2j5a.gif

Adamm

I hope this'll put some pressure on Microsoft to revise their stance. Seriously doubt it will though.

They have probably struck up some exclusive deal with publishers because of the always online, it might not be possible to change it now.

AznSniper

From IGN

"Orth has been with Microsoft for just over a year, working on an unannounced project (which can be safely assumed to be a Nextbox title). Previously he has been Creative Lead/Creative Director at LucasArts and a Senior Designer at PopCap."

Did he work on Kinect Star Wars?

Here's his pedigree while being a creative director at LucasArts.

I mean it's not like he would be doing a great job for Microsoft anyways. Look what he did at LucasArts.

lT2gaVk.jpg

ElyrionX

For all the apologists out there, this guy does deserve to be fired. Even if you disregard the point that he singlehandedly pissed off a ton of paying customers as well as effectively blew the lid on a key feature of his company's unannounced product, there is also the fact that he made those terribly stupid analogies which exposes his complete lack of ability to think critically and rationally. Why should someone so incompetent deserve to be in the position he is in?

Only 9 hours behind.

Also, this blew up bigger than expected.
Next gen tension is just too high, we'll start seeing full media blackouts from all people remotely involved in the new consoles.

Anyone who remotely thought about leaking something, will shut their mouths now.

We won't hear any rumors until something is from an official source, now, after seeing this disaster.

Cyport

They have probably struck up some exclusive deal with publishers because of the always online, it might not be possible to change it now.

This is what I'm thinking. The always-online approach would be very tempting to big publishers deluded by the stress of DRM and all that rubbish. Microsoft step in with a solution and get them to sign up a contract for exclusivity.

JCreasy

From IGN

"Orth has been with Microsoft for just over a year, working on an unannounced project (which can be safely assumed to be a Nextbox title). Previously he has been Creative Lead/Creative Director at LucasArts and a Senior Designer at PopCap."

Did he work on Kinect Star Wars?

Somebody get me that bullshot kinect star war demo gif STAT!!!!

slider

For all the apologists out there, this guy does deserve to be fired. Even if you disregard the point that he singlehandedly pissed off a ton of paying customers as well as effectively blew the lid on a key feature of his company's unannounced product, there is also the fact that he made those terribly stupid analogies which exposes his complete lack of ability to think critically and rationally. Why should someone so incompetent deserve to be in the position he is in?

Maybe he's good at the none PR bits of his job! I mean, is PR actually part of his job??

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, to be fair:

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/Melaphont/passiveaggressivedefense.png[/MG]

He clearly has a good reason for not reporting on this, at all. [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524733&highlight=unbias"]Clearly he doesn't want to create a narrative about always online DRM.[/URL][/QUOTE]
Gies earns a lot of the criticism he gets, but to be fair, he's the reviews editor, not the news editor.

Pug

If rumors are true then MS already lost next generation. US have shitty internet but now consider rest of world like india/china/brazil/AU/russia. Damn even in Europe there are places where still good quality internet is rare.

For example me. from 18 to 22 i simply can't play online games since my connection is dropping every 10-30 minutes (to much people using internet in area). So i won't buy nextbox because i won't have a chance to play it after work (18-22).

Let's hope MS goes for fucking brain tissue and change it.

You have a shitty internet connection and 5K posts. Must be frustrating getting them replies through.

ElyrionX

Maybe he's good at the none PR bits of his job! I mean, is PR actually part of his job??

I would think that being able to rationalize one's thoughts and having a small measure of analytical ability is a part of anyone's job, let alone that of a position as powerful as that which he is in.

Those analogies he made were utterly terrible and shows a complete lack of understanding of the issue on hand.

pswii60

MS path to become irrelevant continues its steady pace...

To be fair, we said that about Kinect. And yet they've been the top selling console in the US for how long now?

What we think here on GAF doesn't really have any relevance to the success of a product. Otherwise I'd be playing Okami 2 and Shenmue 3 right now.

Coolwhip

Banned
xlarge.gif

Someone should do something with this gif. My idea I already posted:

Put his head on one, stop the gif for a few seconds with "Buffering" in the crotch and add Sweet Billy somewhere. Someone!

Damn my lack of photoshop skills.

Master_JO

Banned
MS actually didn't really care about in Europe this gen...

Yeah, I Dont know if this guy was trolling or not but there are other countries beside USA.

EU/ ASIA/ AFRICA/ MIDDLE EAST

XBOX does well on those parts of the world and because of my work I KNOW alot of those people who lives there dos not have an internet connection. Many have a shitty one, middle and high. But alot of people dosn't have one.

Simple because:
1-its not available
2-available, But with shitty connection, Slow, Middle and high. It depends on which country we are talkin about here and which part of the world.

I don't believe MS does not know about it. A big company like them will have an actual data and facts.

Maybe knows but doesnt care?

5-7 years from now then maybe everyone will get an stabile internet connection.

But If they believe that 70+ Customers who have bought 360 will get an internet connection cuz of 720 then GO WITH GOD.

blackflag

But he is in a position of power. He's not some nobody. It would be a pretty big decision given he is in charge of a next-gen project.

The only chance he has is if it's really not true. I think. I mean look, who knows what MS will do. No one thought a few months ago that they'd be stupid enough to have always online. So they could make a dumb decision and keep this guy. I hope for his family they do, but if I was in charge over there, he would not. I suspect if he's not quickly fired, he'll be quietly ushered out the door in a few weeks when this settles down.

Top Bottom