• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Flatline

Banned
Well, to be fair:

passiveaggressivedefense.png

He clearly has a good reason for not reporting on this, at all. Clearly he doesn't want to create a narrative about always online DRM.

Jesus Christ, Gies is such a ridiculous shill.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just made a batch of popcorn and opened a new bottle of lube.

LET'S KEEP THIS PARTY GOING!

majik13

no way they will actually go through with this...they will have to change it or disable always online right before launch or soon after...this cant be happening. They cant be this stupid.

slider

I would think that being able to rationalize one's thoughts and having a small measure of analytical ability is a part of anyone's job, let alone that of a position as powerful as that which he is in.

Those analogies he made were utterly terrible and shows a complete lack of understanding of the issue on hand.

Absolutely agree on the second part.

But I guess his point of view, given he works for a company potentially implementing these strategies, is very different to lots (and lots) of other folk.

Where he failed is opening his trap and that, arguably, is something different to his core job (which I'm not exactly clear on anyway!).

Cheers.

pswii60

This has fail written all over it.

Microsoft's first response to this fiasco . . . "I don't know that guy."

WOW

Again, no. That's Aaron Greenberg's response. I work for a company and I say a lot of things. My views don't necessarily reflect the company's official stance or view on any issue.

It seems the Internet doesn't get this, hence why I'd be banning all my employees from using Twitter unless for PR reasons (eg Major Nelson).

I think people are being a little unfair to this guy...sure his comments were rather ill advised, but people are turning him into a sacrificial chicken on here.

JCreasy

no way they will actually go through with this...they will have to change it or disable always online right before launch or soon after...this cant be happening. They cant be this stupid.

Here's my thing though . . . if they did do this with the understanding that they secure a bunch of 3rd party exclusives, how do they go about dissolving those agreements if they need to back out?

Was this the big strategy to topple Sony for next gen? Pander to big publishers?

LukeTim

Whilst I have all of my current gen consoles online all the time anyway, I despise anybody who would not give me the choice of taking it, my own console, offline.

If the next Xbox is online only, I'm not getting it.

Pug

I think people are being a little unfair to this guy...sure his comments were rather ill advised, but people are turning him into a sacrificial chicken on here.

It's the big problem with social media, when the snowball gets rolling you're in trouble.

jorma

is now taking requests
For all the apologists out there, this guy does deserve to be fired. Even if you disregard the point that he singlehandedly pissed off a ton of paying customers as well as effectively blew the lid on a key feature of his company's unannounced product, there is also the fact that he made those terribly stupid analogies which exposes his complete lack of ability to think critically and rationally. Why should someone so incompetent deserve to be in the position he is in?

I think they should fire the person in charge who thought that always online was a good fucking idea. As a paying customer why would you be pissed off at the messenger rather than the actual content of the message?

Flatline

Banned
Goddamnit game journos, the word is "posterity", not "prosperity". "Posterity" means "future generations", which is the metaphor that fits.

That earlier thread was right. English majors are indeed overqualified for game journalist jobs.

Maybe IGN thinks that the poster was saving them to get rich.

pswii60

AGAIN, it's on his bloody LinkedIn profile!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-orth/44/354/b44

Lead Designer
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC

August 2005 – February 2008 (2 years 7 months)Santa Monica
Responsible for all aspects of game design across multiple internal and external PlayStation titles as well as the creation of new IP for the studio. Reported directly to David Jaffe.

God of War III
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Twisted Metal Head: On Extra Twisted Edition
God of War II
Calling All Cars!
Heartland [Cancelled]

The guy is clearly a liar then according to those credits o_O

The plot thickens :)

Vomiaouaf

AGAIN, it's on his bloody LinkedIn profile!!! I'm not confusing anyone with anyone, I'm just reading what it says - you can too...
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-orth/44/354/b44

The guy is clearly a liar then according to those credits o_O

Linkedin has absolutely no policy of coercing users to truthful profiles. If someone else claims to have your job (which happened to me), you can contact LinkedIn's help center for weeks only to have them tell you "deal with it".

Coen

You'd have to wonder what kind of 3rd party exclusivity we're talking about here, to make such a drastic decision. Microsoft had to know they'd be getting a lot of heat for this.

JCreasy

Again, no. That's Aaron Greenberg's response. I work for a company and I say a lot of things. My views don't necessarily reflect the company's official stance or view on any issue.

It seems the Internet doesn't get this, hence why I'd be banning all my employees from using Twitter unless for PR reasons (eg Major Nelson).

In the connected world we live in today, if you tout who you work for on your profile, guess what - you're representing the brand from that profile.

It may not be the PR response, but that communication portal is an extension of the brand. Also, he chose to respond to a Microsoft issue in the context of being an employee. I'm sorry, the line is blurred in this day and age. He should've held comment until a proper response could be coordinated.

pswii60

Linkedin has absolutely no policy of coercing users to truthful profiles. If someone else claims to have your job (which happened to me), you can contact LinkedIn's help center for weeks only to have them tell you "deal with it".

Yes, but that's my point. The guy is full of shit even on LinkedIn!

Top Bottom