• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

Lol, If Grinding is predatory then the entire JRPG market is evil. If you enjoy the gameplay, grinding can be good. If you don't, it's bad. If you don't like the gameplay, don't buy the game.

Yup. I liked the raw gameplay of Shadow of Mordor, so I'll probably tackle the end-game to some degree, grind or not. And I'll do it without buying any lootboxes.

Lol, If Grinding is predatory then the entire JRPG market is evil. If you enjoy the gameplay, grinding can be good. If you don't, it's bad. If you don't like the gameplay, don't buy the game.

Honestly, this is how I feel. After playing the first game, I wanted to keep engaging with the Nemesis system after the story ended, without restarting the story. That sounds like exactly what they did.

JaggedSac

Any other review mentioning this? Not only would this be a huge "fuck you" to players - on top of loot boxes existing in general - it would be pathetic if only one outlet actually got this far into the game.

Well, Polygon doesn't say it requires loot boxes. Just that it is the easiest way.

BigEmil

So they didn't pull a Forza and hold off on activating the microtransaction shit until after the reviews were through?

Brave move.
Lol who knows, maybe when they received major backlash when microtransactions info was first made of Shadow of War maybe they quickly made the loot box shit more 'forgivable' like adjusting the loot rates etc to get less flak from reviews and gamers later on

mazillion

One image's bulletpoint >>>>> Other reviews to the contrary apparently on GAF. I know people usually just look at scores and use them to justify their own preconceptions but this thread is reaching some new territory.

http://cogconnected.com/review/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/shadow-of-war-review

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

https://www.dualshockers.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

A little effort should be expected of people beyond using one review as a consensus to validate your opinion. It's fine if you feel that way still, but it's not an accurate portrayal of how this game is actually being reviewed.

Okay, those quotes are getting me hyped now.

Interesting to see ratings like 9 as well, that must mean it has plenty of great stuff to offer. I'll check out the IGN review soon and Game Informer too. I'd really like to know what the praise is based on.

Especially when according to other sources the game world is bland and boring. For me that is a huge downer.

usp84

Good to see these reviews.

I liked the first game and this seems like a continuation of that.

I have prioritised other games for now though but I will buy it in few months.

shimon

So IGN gave the game a 9 and their only mention of loot boxes is: "Ignore them completely"

And now we find out that you can only get Legendary Orcs from paid loot boxes? Is this really true?

If they didn't attach that grinding to real world purchases we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Once you do that it becomes suspect.

These reviews have basically confirmed what I expected.

That delay from August to Oct was WB saying "Put MT and Lootboxes into the game."

Multiple reviews have say the entire market and MT system seems like it was an afterthought or just hamfisted in there because the [Jim Fucking Sterling Son Voice] AAA Games Industry [/Jim Fucking Sterling Son Voice] means that your game must have MT these days because reasons.

That said, I'm still going to get it because I loved the first one and the Nemesis system was the main draw of the game for me and it's drastically improved.

Hit up the other credited reviewers on twitter and ask them to confirm the thing about legendary orcs ONLY being in paid loot boxes. If that's true, that seems fucked up enough to be its own thread.

Edit: Apparently Orcs can be leveled up to legendary naturally, which is less bad, but still lame.

So IGN gave the game a 9 and their only mention of loot boxes is: "Ignore them completely"

And now we find out that you can only get Legendary Orcs from paid loot boxes? Is this really true?

You can recruit and level them up in-game. This is the way the game is meant to be played. If you're just buying loot boxes for some inexplicable reason- the free currency loot boxes only go up to Epic. Paid go to Legendary.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
lootboxes in a singleplayer game can't be bad.

Do you really think EA and Activision won't exploit this somehow? Look at Dead Space 3, a game that was completely divorced from what made it's predecessors great because of the forced inclusion of MT's.

A free to play game usually has time-gated content that you can access quicker by paying, this is not at all that and its not even during the whole game. "exactly" is not quite that.

But this is what people are worried about. If they are successful in SoW it's inevitable.

Tovarisc

AFAIK the maps for Battlefront 2 will all be free. Seeing as how it's going to feature packed on day 1, I'm ok with the MT system in that as it pays for continued development of the game, as opposed to something like a season pass which just splits the player base. Again, that's a whole different situation. Although who knows how that one will go.

So MT system that has risen worries about being Pay 4 Power system because you literally can get some powerful cards with € is fine because game has content and gets some maps for free in future?

At least that is my understanding of their gambling box, feel free to correct me.

Regardless isn't it little hypocritical to judge one game (SoW) for system a lot like that mentioned above, but give another game pass on it because that system in that case gives few free maps down the line?

Great reviews ! I am glad the lootcases happen to be a minor issue. I would buy the game right now but budget is tight, I am going to have to wait for sales

Do you really think EA and Activision won't exploit this somehow? Look at Dead Space 3, a game that was completely divorced from what made it's predecessors great because of the forced inclusion of MT's.

And that franchise is now dead, partly due to its MT implementation.

If the lootboxes do end up being bullshit, and the game they're a part of does send up being bad, then WB will be punished for it as well.

Shari

But this is what people are worried about. If they are successful in SoW it's inevitable.

I don't think DS3 problem is MT's and I dont believe that single player games are doomed to loot boxes if SoW is successful so we'll have to agree to disagree.

So MT system that has risen worries about being Pay 4 Power system because you literally can get some powerful cards with € is fine because game has content and gets some maps for free in future?

At least that is my understanding of their gambling box, feel free to correct me.

Regardless isn't it little hypocritical to judge one game (SoW) for system a lot like that mentioned above, but give another game pass on it because that system in that case gives few free maps down the line?

This is my understanding. Advantage in a competitive game = BIG RED FLAG. The promise of extra free content is shit if it comes attached to a lure for microtransaction whales.

One image's bulletpoint >>>>> Other reviews to the contrary apparently on GAF. I know people usually just look at scores and use them to justify their own preconceptions but this thread is reaching some new territory.

http://cogconnected.com/review/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/shadow-of-war-review

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

https://www.dualshockers.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

A little effort should be expected of people beyond using one review as a consensus to validate your opinion. It's fine if you feel that way still, but it's not an accurate portrayal of how this game is actually being reviewed.
Seriously so excited to get lost in this game. Sounds like it's everything that made the first game fun, plus so much more.

Tohsaka

Seems like it turned out to be good, I'll probably wait for the complete edition next year since there's too much else I need to play for now.

Yea I'll say it again

Fuck the haters and fuck the hate

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

And please stay the fuck out of the OT

We don't need you. We don't want you

est1992

Interesting to see ratings like 9 as well, that must mean it has plenty of great stuff to offer. I'll check out the IGN review soon and Game Informer too. I'd really like to know what the praise is based on.

Especially when according to other sources the game world is bland and boring. For me that is a huge downer.

IGN gave it a 9. Not sure about Game Informer

Yea I'll say it again

The hate train over this game is hyperbole defined, but this isn't the correct way to defend what is a solid, enjoyable title that can speak for itself.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
One weird game GAFers don't want you to play!

Having skimmed through the PC Gamer, USgamer and Polygon reviews, I feel I'll probably get my 298kr worth out of this game. Even if its misguided direction to have lots of things makes it bloated and me tire of it before I get to the end.
That and the loot crateness is a shame. But the latter I'm pretty confident I'll be able to circumvent by cheating if need be.

I may or may not end up caring for the story and world, but I'm here primarily for the warring and battling and orcing and nemesising. It would be nicer if those other things were also nice, but I'll take it either way.

Video games serious business.

Not agreeing with his tone, but the amount of people who were hoping for this game to burn in hell was ridiculous. It's not even the worse case of monetization in a game, yet this one was torn to pieces for it. Wonder what started it all.

Yea I'll say it again

Yep, let's not use a forum for critique and discussion.

And yes, all arguments against the game and WB's practices are now null and void after a metacritic Score of 85+.

Fuck us.

Why stoop to that level though? They will move onto the next outrage soon enough.

I'm from New York. There is no other level for us

Yep, let's not use a forum for critique and discussion.

And yes, all arguments against the game and WB's practices are now null and void after a metacritic Score of 85+.

Fuck us.

This is not a critique or a discussion. It's a witch hunt

And Gaf is better than that

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think DS3 problem is MT's and I dont believe that single player games are doomed to loot boxes if SoW is successful so we'll have to agree to disagree.

We can only wait and see, I certainly hope not.

As far as DS3 goes, it's a pretty straight line from MT's to it's failure. EA demanded MT's, so they had to implement a new weapon crafting system to support it. This in turn leads to some crazy OP weapons and universal ammunition. To balance this they sped up the necromorphs, which now swarm the player. It's no longer a horror game and fans of the series hate it.

It had other serious problems, but the MT's fundamentally changed the way the game was played and broke the survival horror progression.

I'm not giving it a pass just yet, I said I'm willing to see how it turns out. I don't like MT's in any form but in general a massive online shooter using them instead of a season pass is an easier pill to swallow than a single player game using them to let players skip a grind. My opinion is entirely subject to change though, I haven't played either of the games I am discussing.

Not agreeing with his tone, but the amount of people who were hoping for this game to burn in hell was ridiculous. It's not even the worse case of monetization in a game, yet this one was torn to pieces for it. Wonder what started it all.
People really got off on not liking the first game when it won some GOTY awards in a weak year. It's a lot of the same people that would let stuff like that personally bother them.

Gator86

Yea I'll say it again

Embarrassing. Most OTs are already a relentless circle-jerk, especially those for smaller games. OTs need more discussion and perspectives, not fewer.

SomTervo

True. Minor grind can be balanced and even fun. As long as the gameplay isn't predicated on it.

The other thing is that the Arkham Knight comparisons don't really make sense - Knight wasn't grindy at all but it was arguably bloated and yes the 100% ending was not worth it.

Top Bottom