• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Bleak and bland world is worrying.

The first game's biggest weakness was that exactly.

edit: SPOILER ALERT - the Gamespot video review seems to show the last battle and what comes after the ending...[/QUOTE]

The fuck?!

Thanks for the warning, was just about to watch it!

FFS , I stopped watching their reviews when they ruined Uncharted 2 for me. Angry Joe is still the worst though.

SomTervo

How to try to put one positive and one negative in a single sentence and ending up with two positives in my book.

I DO want that management part, I DO want to manage my army and I DO want to be the owner of a small army in the middle earth.

Please and thank you.

Yeah having deeper management systems is something many AAA games are gagging for

mindatlarge

I enjoyed the first game so I'm glad to see this one review well.

I was on the fence on picking this up at launch but Best Buy has the $10 preorder bonus on this one so its effectively $38 after GCU, so I think I will pick it up after all.
You get a free physical "Ring of Power" as well, to be sent out at a later date, and some free DLC.

Nice to see good reviews since took a gamble buying a key from cdkeys at half price basically

I dont get the hate for lootboxes in a single player game as long as you can do fine and complete it without buying them. I actually hate using things like over powered (when they become available in the game) bonus weapons in games that come with preorders or deluxe editions since I want to play with the original challenge the developers put in.

It does sound annoying that they push them in the game so hard though such as in the pause menu.

How on earth can gamespot justify showing the end mission and ending itself. Personally I dont really care about Tolkien lore, but there are many fans that would be looking forward to the story elements.

UAm6SXk.png

The last negative sounds far more impactful than the 3 positives.

i agree

robotrock

Banned
How on earth can gamespot justify showing the end mission and ending itself. Personally I dont really care about Tolkien lore, but there are many fans that would be looking forward to the story elements.

huge Tolkien asshole here, all my interest in story fell out of the fucking window after the spider lady

spoil everything

Wamb0wneD

Seems like some sites reviewd lower because of the rampant microntransactions. Good on them.
Game itself looks quite good, though my gaming budget for this month is already strained. Maybe in the next months.

When do reviewers start to dock points for heinous anti-consumer practices?

Or is it because they're under payroll that they don't have the guts.

Tovarisc

Seems like some sites reviewd lower because of the rampant microntransactions. Good on them.
Game itself looks quite good, though my gaming budget for this month is already strained. Maybe in the next months.

If what Osahi has been posting about the game and loot boxes within word "rampant" isn't what comes into mind.

shimon

In the game's actual final act, you cycle through the four fortresses you explored previously for a total of 20 more defending siege battles. If you haven't upgraded the Orcs you met early in the game--and up until this point, there was no reason to--you have to replace and upgrade your entire retinue of Orcs to match this more powerful invading force. The enemies you face level up with each encounter, so you're also forced into upgrading each castle over and over again, either by building up your current Orc army or finding new fighters and replacing the old. This Sisyphean quest has no corresponding significant characters to keep you company or explain why it's important to tackle the defense missions in the order you do. It's not even clear, exactly, why you want to do them at all.

More than once I felt like giving up on this quest thinking I'd stumbled onto some optional side content that was clearly only made for obsessed completionists. But enduring on, I found that finishing every stage unlocks the final cutscene and credits. It did not feel worth it.

It's an entire section that should have been cut or severely truncated, and playing through the repetitious levels felt like padding meant only to make the game last longer. But although the game's final act is the most egregious, there are several other systems that Shadow of War fails to justify.

This sounds bad...

Bleak and bland world is worrying.

The first game's biggest weakness was that exactly.

edit: SPOILER ALERT - the Gamespot video review seems to show the last battle and what comes after the ending...

I'm actually glad they showed it. Knowing that in order to get the true ending, you have to serious grind 20 battles puts me off the game completely. I didn't see anything amazing about it either. Story didn't even seem worth it, TBH.

This sounds bad...

Yeah. It was the final nail in the coffin for me. This is far more worrying than any loot box concerns.

I remember ACGs review, I believe, said you could just spam that flip jump parry or whatever through the whole game making it comically easy... hope thats been addressed

mazillion

I remember ACGs review, I believe, said you could just spam that flip jump parry or whatever through the whole game making it comically easy... hope thats been addressed

Yeah I remember a video making the rounds of some guy killing endless waves of orcs without even looking at the screen. He was just pressing the same button over and over.

Good scores but sadly this game is ruined for me by its shitty loot boxes and other microtransactions.

Still no buy from me.

Yes...fuck all those people calling out bullshit micro transaction practices.

This particular drum has beaten to death on the topic and at this point, all that seems to be happening now is a new thread opens up about this game and a legion of detractors pile in and make the same well-worn arguments they've been spitting out for months.

It's fucking tedious.

This is a review thread and by most accounts, the game itself - regardless of the loot boxes - is quite good.

Instead of discussing the quality of the game or the mostly positive reviews, we're getting the same recycled arguments along with people claiming the reviews are biased, unethical, etc. because they aren't low enough.

At some point, it comes off more as trolling than anything else.

danowat

Banned
When do reviewers start to dock points for heinous anti-consumer practices?

Or is it because they're under payroll that they don't have the guts.

When these thing start to affect more people's enjoyment of the game I guess.

The reality is, there are way more people who are happy with these practices, or at the least ambivalent to them, than there are that are against them.

SomTervo

I'm actually glad they showed it. Knowing that in order to get the true ending, you have to serious grind 20 battles puts me off the game completely. I didn't see anything amazing about it either. Story didn't even seem worth it, TBH.

Yeah. It was the final nail in the coffin for me. This is far more worrying than any loot box concerns.

Whoa. Interesting.

Good scores but sadly this game is ruined for me by its shitty loot boxes and other microtransactions.

Still no buy from me.

How and why?

There is absolutely no reason to buy these loot boxes with actual money when, investing time in this game, gives you enough ingame currency to purchase these.

The sudden hate is amazing.

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah I remember a video making the rounds of some guy killing endless waves of orcs without even looking at the screen. He was just pressing the same button over and over.

I did this as well in the first game. As poor as the environments were, the gameplay was far worse. It makes Witcher 3 gameplay feel amazing by comparison.

Kill3r7

How and why?

There is absolutely no reason to buy these loot boxes with actual money when, investing time in this game, gives you enough ingame currency to purchase these.

The sudden hate is amazing.

Loot boxes are a hot button issue right now. It is also that time of year when AAA games are in full bloom.

I am curious why so many in here have selected this particular game as the hill they want to die on as it pertains to micro-transactions and loot boxes, especially considering how prevalent these forms of monetization have become.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviews are generally higher then what I was expecting. No interest in getting this game at day 1. Will wait for some good black friday deals.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I knew this game screamed grind with the way it pushed fortresses on the first announcement >_<
Sounds as bad as Arkham Knight's ending

It's been two years but Arkham Knight had one of my favourite endings ever. The battle between
the Joker and Batman
was fantastic. And that scene with
the Batmobile

I am curious why so many in here have selected this particular game as the hill they want to die on as it pertains to micro-transactions and loot boxes, especially considering how prevalent these forms of monetization have become.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'd imagine it's because this is an (almost) exclusively single player game. Whilst lootboxes have become more and more prevalent recently, it's mostly been in MP-focused games. This is probably the most high profile SP game to feature them since their rise in popularity.

Loot boxes are a hot button issue right now. It is also that time of year when AAA games are in full bloom.

They seem to be a hot topic for this game in particular with people slandering it as the pinnacle of anti-consumerism while turning a blind eye to the many other companies and developers doing similar things.

Regret I won't be getting this till sometime in the middle of next year, probably during what'll likely be a slow summer after a crazy spring. Just more of the first game is fine with me. Don't care about the story, just wanna fight uruks.

Kill3r7

Did you miss the outrage a couple of weeks back about NBA2K18? It lead to nothing because consumers/general public are not bothered by it as was the case with DLC.

danowat

Banned
They seem to be a hot topic for this game in particular with people slandering it as the pinnacle of anti-consumerism while turning a blind eye to the many other companies and developers doing similar things.

Nah, it's happened in all the Forza 7 threads about the same issue too.

Top Bottom