• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kssio_Aug

This photo still pisses me off. The quality on display here is so far from what we have seen from the final product it's unreal. It's like the next level of bullshot.

I wouldn't even call it bullshot. It's straight up bullshit. False propaganda. Totally different from the aimed results and created only to call backers.

What happened?

SpXxSTJ.jpg
Incoming a bunch of apologists blaming your naivety for thinking that's how it was going to look or some shit. When in reality the 2.5d garbage was hidden in an FAQ.

Dremark

Banned
[...]

All in all, my actual point in this thread is just that a few delays that don't even add up to a whole year yet do not warrant the kind of TRAIN-WRECK! SCAM! JOKE OF THE CENTURY! reactions that some people have shown in this thread. Is it annoying that people aren't getting a game they might still be anticipating? I'm sure it is. Still doesn't make those kinds of overreactions any less silly. True train-wrecks are projects like Soul Saga and Project Phoenix that have almost nothing to show after years of development (or "development"), at least MN9 seems like they do actually have a fairly polished version of the whole game in their hands already that, apart from disappointing some people with how it looks visually, is pretty close to the pitch that they gave and they are just struggling with the online portion at this late stage of development. That's not a train-wreck. Perhaps somewhat mishandled from a PR point of view, but all in all this still seems like it's actually a reality and not just some distant dream that might come to fruition if all stars align correctly 10 years from now.

The reason why people are so upset about the delays on this Kickstarter are basically that they've already paid for the game, the reason for the delays seems to be pretty questionable and the timing for the delays is last minute and in the case of the previous delay seemed to be delayed intentionally to keep people in the dark about it so it wouldn't have a negative effect on Red Ash.

It's not just a matter of the game being delayed, it's that the goodwill the project was founded on has run thin.

Berordn

That's why he clarified that it's something beyond a normal bullshot, "the next level"

But it's just concept art, the final game was never going to look like that. That's not a bullshot or along that vein because they were never saying the game was going to look like that exactly.

Not that I'm saying it wasn't a bit scummy for them to make that the first thing you see on the kickstarter page, but it's not even close to an apt comparison.

But it's just concept art, the final game was never going to look like that. That's not a bullshot or along that vein because they were never saying the game was going to look like that.

Not that I'm saying it wasn't a bit scummy for them to make that the first thing you see on the kickstarter page, but it's not even close to an apt comparison.
Of course it is! There was no reason to think the final
game wouldn't look anything like that. You might as well call the original trailer for Watch Dogs or Colonial Marines "concept art". They go out of their way to make it look like a screenshot, there's a HUD.

Z3M0G

Man they should of just released the game without the mp mode (then mp mode later)...

I'm shocked it even has an MP mode... and I was quoting to agree with you but I'm wondering if MP was a goal that was reached in the KS... they may feel obligated to include it on Day 1 no matter what.

LiK

WHAT IS THIS NETWORK SHIT? I didn't back this game to care about whatever online shit they implemented.

But it's just concept art, the final game was never going to look like that. That's not a bullshot or along that vein because they were never saying the game was going to look like that exactly.

But even all the other pictures on the KS page use the same artstyle, so of course people believe they are aiming for that:

85ca567954388fad1fda52ouro.jpg

419a16837e4713fe0193c26uu0.jpg

a4d2477d01ae7a44bffecjhux3.jpg

mclem

Then you should probably look at it from a different angle. Like how one is developed with your money, and how one isn't.

I'm obviously not commentating on the development itself, but rather, the higher standards because of the type of funding.

So you're arguing that developers should be more constrained by scheduling demands when crowdfunding a game than they should be when negotiating with a publisher?

There is at least a proportion of people who kickstart products on the notion that they want to reduce the influence of a publisher in the end product. It would strike me as hypocritical for such people to then turn around and demand a release earlier than the developer is satisfied with.

A pledge to Kickstarter, for me, is a pledge of trust in the developer to produce a product. This might fail. I accept that; the whole notion of risk means I must be willing to consider the possibility.

I polled "I backed this game and I didn't even know there was online!" instead of "I backed this game and I don't care about online modes!" and feel bad that I'm not part of that bigger %.

game wouldn't look anything like that. You might as well call the original trailer for Watch Dogs or Colonial Marines "concept art". They go out of their way to make it look like a screenshot, there's a HUD.

you don't seem to understand what concept art is

But it speaks to a style they never had the slightest intention of following through on. They haven't even got a cel shader for beck & enemies

brau

But even all the other pictures on the KS page use the same artstyle, so of course people believe they are aiming for that:

this game should've been 2D. They are clearly better at doing that than 3d.

Also, its a lot easier to port specially to all the skus they are aiming for.

RexNovis

Banned
It's called "concept art"

Generally games actually resemble their concept art in some shape or form. The end product looks like a completely different game with a similar looking main character. We were shown gorgeous concept art and then given sim hideous 2.5d bullshit that didn't resemble the art in the slightest.

I have this game pre-ordered, can't wait to play it, but I have a serious feeling that it's in deep trouble. I hope my gut is wrong and that it's awesome.

Berordn

It was tucked away down the page which made it a bit misleading, but unlike Watch Dogs or Colonial Marines they weren't trying to sell you on the game, the text made it clear that no development had started. Why would putting a hud on concept art be that misleading when they wanted to give an idea on the direction they wanted it to take?

I'm not defending the awkwardness of the whole thing and everything that would follow, but when the game hadn't even started development yet this was a fairly minor thing.

But it speaks to a style they never had the slightest intention of following through on. They haven't even got a cel shader for beck & enemies

I wouldn't say they had no intention on following through. Their original engine test resembles it pretty closely. Not exact of course, but I could believe that (for some reason) they felt the current style was a better fit and changed direction.

RowdyReverb

I guess this is why indie games don't launch on all platforms at once. This is coming to PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS. Simultaneously.

That's 10 platforms! And they're working on net code for each one! It sounds like a total nightmare

So you're arguing that developers should be more constrained by scheduling demands when crowdfunding a game than they should be when negotiating with a publisher?

Not even close to what I've argued. What I'm saying is that people are going to get more angry about a game they invested money in being delayed continuously over a game they did not. This is a very simple concept.

And even then, the strain the publishers put on developers to get their shit done is to avoid things like this. It's not always right, but look at the alternative, and in this case, it's far more of an issue than if people weren't "donating" their money.

There is at least a proportion of people who kickstart products on the notion that they want to reduce the influence of a publisher in the end product. It would strike me as hypocritical for such people to then turn around and demand a release earlier than the developer is satisfied with.

Thank God I'm not even arguing that at all. I'd assume there's at least a portion of people who kickstart products who want these developers to at least be sensible about their release schedule, while not doing other kickstarters on the side and extending their limits.

A pledge to Kickstarter, for me, is a pledge of trust in the developer to produce a product. This might fail. I accept that; the whole notion of risk means I must be willing to consider the possibility.

The eventuality of a product does not excuse bad management. But once again, this isn't even close to what I was talking about.

That was the first (and only image IIRC) that they used on the KS page, so of course people think that thats the style they were aiming for.

Not true, they have this too:

a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec0epvj.jpg

This looks like a real game (even if is a mockup) , why people is so obsessed with that piece of concept art is beyond any understanding. And both images came with this:

Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens.

Rezae

I guess this is why indie games don't launch on all platforms at once. This is coming to PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS. Simultaneously.

That's 10 platforms! And they're working on net code for each one! It sounds like a total nightmare

That's a ridiculous undertaking for even a large accomplished studio. This was them biting off more than they can chew trying to get as much $ as possible and not thinking this through rationally.

If this was a delay to add the option to turn off all the in-game dialogue and cut-scenes I would be much more sympathetic. Even Comcept saying they are working on tuning the game more would be better to hear after playing the special demo.

Have we even seen the 3DS/Vita versions of the game yet?

liquidtmd

Banned
That's a ridiculous undertaking for even a large accomplished studio. This was them biting off more than they can chew trying to get as much $ as possible and not thinking this through rationally.

Correct. Even Activision don't release on 10 platforms at once with things like Call of Duty, outsourcing them to external teams.

Obviously this isn't an option for a smaller company...but it seems they thought fuck it, we will try it anyway

OmegaX

Is this game good btw. ? I am sure you backers played some demos?
Judging it from the pc demo, I gotta say it's pretty awful. The graphics are below average, the art style is beyond ugly, gameplay is dull, and despite them claiming the game it's almost complete, the cutscenes looked unfinished.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yo it being concept art doesn't excuse the end product from looking not particularly great.
Look at Bloodstained concept art and the iterations of the real graphics, that gives confidence to backers.

When I look at the end graphics of MN9 compared to the MN9 prototype footage I want to cry at the fact that the improvement isn't eye jumpingly obvious.

Also can someone give me my mighty gunvolt code? Lel.....

Kouichi

Wow this is just hilarious at this point. How an experienced game developer can mess up so much at this point is just embarrassing.

I really hope all the backers get the great game they're hoping for.

Correct. Even Activision don't release on 10 platforms at once with things like Call of Duty, outsourcing them to external teams.

Obviously this isn't an option for a smaller company...but it seems they thought fuck it, we will try it anyway

I think trying to bring this game into handhelds is a waste of time. I get wanting to support the consoles and every PC platform.

Sakura

Why are they prioritising multiplayer in a Mega Man clone so much? I get it was a stretch goal, but I'm sure most people just want the main game, not have the game they paid for delayed X number of months for a feature they don't care about.
It would make far far more sense to just patch in the multiplayer after the fact. Which makes me feel this is kind of just an excuse, and not the true reason.

I mean, this is what they said in August of last year.
The game is pretty much done. We were doing bug fixes and we found some bugs in the network system that will affect the multiplayer. It's not like a 'showstopper' bug, but it'll make players really frustrated. We don't want that to be the experience for our players, so that's why we decided to delay and polish the game a little bit more.
Yet here we are end of January just before the revised release, and they are delaying the game again, because they still can't fix this fucking bug in multiplayer, a feature that most people don't even care about.

Top Bottom