• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

mboojigga

Sure, you can't connect to a DoD network, but military members overseas have access to personal internet.

Hell, I was in Afghanistan and had internet access in my dorm room. What about the people stationed in Japan, who have access to Japanese ISP's in their homes (I know, I was over there).

I honestly can't believe MS is being this dense about this.

You get VPN that solves the issue. both on deployments and stationed in other countries. VPN is what everyone should be using if you are outside of the country you originate from.

linkboy

You get VPN that solves the issue. both on deployments and stationed in other countries. VPN is what everyone should be using if you are outside of the country you originate from.

You shouldn't need a VPN for something like this. There's times where we, being deployed, don't have access to the internet. A VPN doesn't solve the issue of the system locking you out after 24 hours. Tell me how I'm supposed to get a VPN workign out in the middle of nowhere, Afghanistan.

If you can't see how that isn't a problem, I have no idea what to tell you.

You shouldn't need a VPN for something like this. There's times where we, being deployed, don't have access to the internet. A VPN doesn't solve the issue of the system locking you out after 24 hours. Tell me how I'm supposed to get a VPN workign out in the middle of nowhere, Afghanistan.

Why would you fight there?

WarMacheen

How do you magically connect through a VPN if there is no internet. I don't think you understand how VPNs work.

Syf

Banned
I was hoping Microsoft would see reason after all the negative feedback, but it looks as though they're as arrogant as ever. Hope the One tanks.

spannicus

This shit is getting out of hand, Atleast Nintendo released a simple console where there are minimal to no restrictions, even online is free. GO Nintendo seems to me like the only bare ass console designed to just play games with minor social connectivity. Who would have thought all this over a fucking video game console lol. Next thing you know Obama is gonna be mentioning this stupid shit.

TBH, I've never thought of this as an issue, must be a small market not worth caring about sadly? My brother in law is in the RAAF and has never even mentioned gaming though.

I honestly don't think they care. They've made it clear who their market is and it doesn't include people in the military.

For some bizarre reason they seem happy to shed a large percentage of their current customer base.

Big respect to the poster on the sub. I'd freak out from claustrophobia within minutes.

Well their strategy is clearly to go after the high income crowd from some very specific countries and forgo everyone else. It's a bit like what Apple does, but in a totally boneheaded way. They think that by concentrating in a smaller audience that spends more, they'll make more money. It makes a little bit of sense at least closer to launch where you're selling your console at a loss.

Of course they way they've done is...

Amir0x

Banned
Is that even confirmed to be KAZ? It sounds too vicious to be real.

Of course it's not the real Kaz; it's a parody account that takes fun at Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft :)

antitrop said:
As a former Marine, fuck the Xbox One.

Fuck it so, so hard.

I work at an Army Depot; many of the soldiers stationed here are going to be furious.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Someone should mention - or forward the video of it - Mattrick's "I don't even know what being on a nuclear submarine means" to non-gaming news outlets that may not have picked up on the absurdity of that statement.

True! Send it to Maddow

Klocker

they are already talking about workarounds to the 24hr for serving personnel deployed and I'm sure they will find a way to make that happen... there are just being obtuse as usual in their replies/

Phil Harrison said a few weeks ago they would definitely take care of soldiers once they have a plan to do that

antitrop

The fact that I'm 100% going PS4 next-gen instead of Xbox One really makes me upset that I spent so much time getting Achievement points instead of Trophies this generation. My PS3 was only for exclusives and BluRay movies.

MechaX

Man, MS, that is just fucking disrespectful. You might as well be legitimately saying that the parody Hirai twitter account says.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

So much easier not to buy the console.

Quixzlizx

As someone in the military (also deployed) the simple fact is that One will just not be used, at all, in deployment scenarios. True, military is 99% Xbox but they will just go where the system that works goes. PSP, for example, is massively huge in the military on deployment because of CFW and folks trading files. They will just choose PS4 for deployments. One will be big for Garrison play, though.

Unless this is just due to the current Microsoft PR clusterfuck and they clarify their policies later, games also have to be activated in the system in their country of origin according to the OP. So people in overseas garrisons won't be able to install new games without physically returning the system to the US first. Unless the VPN solution works, of course.

spock

Man, this getting worse and worse for MS. Yes what they are doing sucks but holy smokes at this rate this is looking like it may be a tanking of historical proportions. The way this going mainstream, now with military aspect they are going to be seen as anti American. I think Bill needs to step in and some how put a stop to all this FAST. If this keeps up, after the initial lunch this thing is going to be worse off then the wiiu simply due to PR damage. MS will recover somewhat but this first impression is going to stick with the masses.

So, if I am understanding Microsoft's response, it's a non issue because you can't connect a ps4 to a dod network?

Um, single player offline games lol? Do they just not get this... at all?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
From Major Nelson:

"Regarding military personnel playing consoles: PS3/PS4 isn't allowed on DoD networks so they're not worried that military members will switch to PS while on overseas deployment."

Not sure if posting links to reddit is allowed, but here it is...sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1ga78h/i_just_talked_to_xboxs_major_nelson_at_e3_and/

It doesn't seem like Major Nelson understands the issue. We already know we can't connect those to a DoD network. We don't have to connect our PS3/PS4 console online at all is the main sticking point.
It's reddit, so may take this with grain of salt but if it is true....

YpixK7X.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I wanna watch some reaction videos.

Would be amazing, but cameras are not allowed here. Even camera phones I have to hand in at security when I go in in the morning :(

I know two soldiers in particular who are big Xbox fans since the first system, like addicted to achievements, who were seriously already starting to get mad over all the restrictions, and for whom I'm pretty sure this is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

The fact that I'm 100% going PS4 next-gen instead of Xbox One really makes me upset that I spent so much time getting Achievement points instead of Trophies this generation. My PS3 was only for exclusives and BluRay movies.

Right? So much time wasted on 360. I really feel like the money I gave to Microsoft helped contribute to this debacle, and I'm pretty upset with myself. I really should have known given who Microsoft was as a company that one day they'd pull some shit like this. I just never could have imagined the sheer audacity of it all, though. No imagination was powerful enough I'd wager.

linkboy

The only thing that's probably anti dorm room is probably the Kinect, it'll take up valuable space but students shouldn't have a hard time connecting to the internet.

Some colleges don't allow game consoles on the university network, so that might be a problem.

The only thing that's probably anti dorm room is probably the Kinect, it'll take up valuable space but students shouldn't have a hard time connecting to the internet.

Many dorms block Xbox Live access.

How is Kinetic the only anti dorm thing when you have a brick.

Woorloog

Banned

"MS understands Don Mattrick of MS is making MS sound even worse and they're trying to essentially get him to stop talking."
:lol :lol

"MS understands the current opinion of Xbox and they are working to "educate" the masses but it doesn't sound like they are considering changing the DRM strategy in any way, including the 24 hour check-in."

Educate? What does that mean? Obfuscate information?

Ploid 3.0

so Xbone is anti-college dormers, anti-military, anti-kids, anti-traveler,

There is a new xbox 360 for them to buy. OR they can get in on the PS4 action.

I still can't believe MS went this route. When the rumors first leaked it seemed impossible. They would pretty much give Sony the gen if they can't get the Oprah soccer mom crowd that gave the Wii it's crazy sales. The thing is expensive though, early gaming crowd will buy it out at launch but what about after?

The worst part is there's a chance that sony will have little competition if things turn out how I expect. They won't have to fight has hard, they may somehow get arrogant again, or feel too safe. They won't lower prices, they will take fewer risks on developers to create new exciting games. This will suck for everyone.

Here's to hoping PC become a force that will go toe to to with Sony now that consoles brought up the lowest common denominator for graphic fidelity in multi games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know, I'm going to post that 21 states thing all over anyway.

It's time for the Misinformation blitz to start. Some people will see through it but many won't. It's time to play dirty. The future of gaming is at stake.

Don't play dirty. You'll just invite backlash and that won't help the cause.

Top Bottom