• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

mcrommert

Banned
I'm not sure what statistics making a Microsoft account provides an artificial boost to. It's not gonna affect XBL usage, because you're not signing into XBL to play on XBL, you're signing into your Microsoft account to authenticate entry into Minecraft servers. If those servers were running on an Xbox Live network, I still don't see how Microsoft leverages that statistical boost outside of Minecraft discussion.

I'll defer to you guys, though, because I don't know shit about how Microsoft uses their MAU data. Is MS's gaming-centric MAU data influenced by all Microsoft accounts across all services, or just the ones used on Xbox and Windows 10?

Eh not strictly true... You get access to Xbox live friends in their cross platform minecraft

It's definitely Xbox live

Microsoft sending promotional emails to the email-adresses of PS4 owners. Probably to the same emails where their PSN accounts are registered to.

Do you have a Microsoft account tied to any of your email addresses?

If so, please log-in and let me know just how much promotional material you've received for Xbox.

I just checked my gmail account that I've been using with Xbox Live and PSN for years.

Searched Xbox. Got over fifty results.

All in reference to authentication.

Searched Playstation. Got over fifty results.

so where is this assumption about concern over trojan horsing into people's emails to send promotional material coming from?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
we are all on the consumer end of the video game market, why should we care?

You are right, but you focus on something impractical and a “favour” that MS like other companies would very likely not return to a direct competitor of theirs. Sure, you can hold it against Sony all you want and sure it would be great to have cross platform gaming even when you are the top dog and have the largest user base (it would have been good when Xbox 360 dominated earlier on).

leeh

Microsoft sending promotional emails to the email-adresses of PS4 owners. Probably to the same emails where their PSN accounts are registered to.
They signed up to an MS service, why shouldn't they be able to reach out to their audience?

You are right, but you focus on something impractical and a “favour” that MS like other companies would very likely not return to a direct competitor of theirs. Sure, you can hold it against Sony all you want and sure it would be great to have cross platform gaming even when you are the top dog and have the largest user base (it would have been good when Xbox 360 dominated earlier on).
This isn't a favor that Sony loses money on. They don't have to pay mS for this update, it comes free; Nintendo is in on it as well. Also, Sony doesn't have the largest user base of Minecraft.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This isn't a favor that Sony loses money on. They don't have to pay mS for this update, it comes free; Nintendo is in on it as well. Also, Sony doesn't have the largest user base of Minecraft.

Corporations do not generally like helping their direct competitors financially or marketing wise. Sony has the largest user base period, Nintendo has still no online service, and MS is trying to actively boost their potential LIVE user base numbers.

I still get emails from Ubisoft for signing up for that For Honor beta that I never even got to play
Corporations do not generally like helping their direct competitors financially or marketing wise. Sony has the largest user base period, Nintendo has still no online service, and MS is trying to actively boost their potential LIVE user base numbers.
I don't care that mS is trying to boost their LIVE user base in fact according to Huge Succeeded that is a misconception as well. Also this helps not just mS but Sony as they would get the most up to date version of Minecraft which is clearly something their user base would want.

Because on may be wishful thinking, and the other may be the uncomfortable reality.

I disagree, this reality is quite comfortable. The consumer has convinced Microsoft to remove their DRM check from the Xbox One before launch, and this won't be the last time the consumer can change the mind of a company.

Must be strange, having Microsoft promotional emails being sent to iOS and Android users largely about devices and products that Sony does not compete with. Not to mention, Minecraft being a Microsoft IP and all, would want to reach out to their playerbase.

Not to mention, you can opt out of these emails during the sign up process.

jelly

Do you have a Microsoft account tied to any of your email addresses?

If so, please log-in and let me know just how much promotional material you've received for Xbox.

I just checked my gmail account that I've been using with Xbox Live and PSN for years.

Searched Xbox. Got over fifty results.

Searched Playstation. Got over fifty results.

so where is this assumption about concern over trojan horsing into people's emails to send promotional material coming from?

I wish I got the Xbox newsletter, lol. Never works.

getting promo emails from mS isn't going to make me not want to play on my Ps4 though.

I just looked through all of my email accts, several have associated Microsoft accounts, two with associated Xbox Live gamertags, and yet... no promotional email whatsoever beyond Bing Rewards on my trash account
Well, that's enough empirical evidence if you ask me ;)

It's all I need to dispute this hypothetical. The onus for producing evidence for that hypothetical is on you guys.

The fact that I've got no promo material at all from Microsoft after years of using MS accounts (and playing Minecraft for that manner) is a stronger point than the nebulous assertion that Microsoft will certainly bombard Minecraft players with promotional material without basis or precedent to point to.

This is what I'm reading:

"MS could easily just send everybody promotional material, clearly a trojan horse"
- but they don't do that, check your emails, I already checked mine
"lol nice evidence you got there"

like, where is yours? Where does the confidence in this hypothetical stem from? I at least bothered to provide an avenue by which you guys can self-verify the assumed pervasiveness of this 'promo material' yourselves, but it seems like you're not interested in doing that.
I mean, shit, you might actually be up to your knees in promo bullshit from MS, invalidating my argument, y'know? It ain't empirical evidence, but it's something to check.

That's you though.
exactly...that's me, a consumer who bought a Ps4, telling you that I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I just looked through all of my email accts, several have associated Microsoft accounts, two with associated Xbox Live gamertags, and yet... no promotional email whatsoever beyond Bing Rewards on my trash account
Even if such emails existed...it does not detriment from my gaming experience.

m00h

Banned
I disagree, this reality is quite comfortable. The consumer has convinced Microsoft to remove their DRM check from the Xbox One before launch, and this won't be the last time the consumer can change the mind of a company.
Convinced? They realized that their brand would be ruined forever if they don't. That was the last minute gasp for breath decision, because they had no other choise.

Must be strange, having Microsoft promotional emails being sent to iOS and Android users largely about devices and products that Sony does not compete with.

Excuse me?

Convinced? They realized that their brand would be ruined forever if they don't. That was the last minute gasp for breath decision, because they had no other choise.
Not necessarily. If my memory serves me correctly, the drm stuff was revealed at e3 2013, after that week when mS saw that preorders for the xbone were low, that's when they did xbox 180

Trup1aya

But it says in the OP that Xbox Live is the network they're tying it together with. Would that not provide an artificial boost to their statistics having other systems rely on them?

If it opens cross platform DLC does that not push the sales through their network instead? Honestly it's very confusing without some actual explanation of how this would work

Artificial boost?

The game is played on MS services. It's been that way since the acquisition.

Whether or not Sony allows crossplay, everyone who plays Minecraft on any system is boosting MS' statistics- because they are using MS services.

The only reason an 'MS account' is needed, is because they want a single social network to unify players and track purchases across platforms.

Are Sony that insecure about what they offer that they don't want enable cross-play because of promotional emails no one reads?

Yes.

They don't realize how weak this makes them look. "The only reason to buy a PS4 is because that's what your friends have and you can't leave the building to play with other friends."

Trup1aya

why does everyone say "its not an XboX Live account its a Microsoft Account". In the Interview he says specifically that you sign into Xbox Live.

Because it's just a name. The Xbox live account has no real tangible difference from any other MS account other than it knows you play video games.

m00h

Banned
Are Sony that insecure about what they offer that they don't want enable cross-play because of promotional emails no one reads?

Sony isn't a 15 year old girl trying to become accepted into a cheerleader squad. There is a rational decision behind their rejection for cross-play.

Microsoft has been quite comfortable ruining the reputation of their products. Honestly wouldn't have been surprised if Xbox was left to rot sometime after.

Excuse me?

During the signup process for a Microsoft account, you are given an option to receive promotional offers from Microsoft. These offers encompass pretty much every service Microsoft offers, from Office (Sony has no known Office competitor), Surface (VAIO was sold off last I checked), Bing (Unless Sony cofounded Ask Jeeves), and every other product they want to sell to you. Yes, Xbox is one of these products, too, hence me saying "largely" in my previous post.

Obviously these interest expand as you use your account for different services, but those are the main promotional offers Microsoft sends out weekly. Unless Sony is incredibly insecure about their offerings I see no issues here.

It Will come to the branding and UI, but I kinda understand a little bit more of their stance if (and only if) Xbox logo and visual identity is launched upon having to access cross platform/multiplayer.

I'll wait for the first switch UI showing and how it is to rectify my opinion, if needed.

Yeah. According to them, to protect kids! lol

No, we've already moved well beyond Sony's official explanation and have adopted convenient headcanon to replace it.

Don't you understand? It's all about [something Sony could have said themselves and didn't] because Sony wouldn't make a bad move

Bolivar687

Banned
It's so shady that Microsoft dropped its warchest on the biggest game after it was already out on every platform so they could now lead them all like lemmings into Xbox Live. You think Microsoft is proud about its MAUs now?

Don't give in, Sony!

Izuna

Banned
It's so shady that Microsoft dropped its warchest on the biggest game after it was already out on every platform so they could now lead them all like lemmings into Xbox Live. You think Microsoft is proud about its MAUs now?

Don't give in, Sony!

tumblr_mm4h62r9S41rks3cuo3_250.gif

Moneal

Mobile and PC also fall into this. The Pocket edition has a huge amount of players that this update makes available to Switch and Xbox players and allows say a friend on their phone to hop into a game with a friend on one of those consoles.

It's all the same. A Microsoft Account includes, Live, all the Office apps, and Groove.

Yet he said you have to sign into Xbox Live on the switch. Apple, Android and PC aren't direct competition to Xbox, and Nintendo has terrible Networking experience(phone for voice). Sony not wanting Xbox Live on their console is a good reason not to allow it. We don't have to like the decision, but we do have to understand where its coming from. I wouldn't allow my direct competition to put their brand on my console. Sure, Minecraft is a MS product, but it doesn't say Xbox anywhere on the PS versions of Minecraft, it says Microsoft. The microsoft logo and the Xbox logo have different associations they bring. MS is software, while Xbox is a gaming platform, that competes directly with Playstation.

Izuna

Banned
I actually have PSN accounts using JP hotmail accounts from ages back.

Zero MS emails. Hmm...

(a shit ton of PSN spam tho)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
At the end of the day an XBL account is just a Microsoft Account.

You also log in to your Google account when you used YouTube on Nintendo platforms going back to the Wii, and that wasn't a big deal, was it?

I was going to buy Minecraft on switch but I have no desire to be forced to login to multiple things just to play a fucking game.

If this is optional for people who care about cross platform great I'll buy, if you need it for Switch+ switch online? LOL no

Kssio_Aug

You also log in to your Google account when you used YouTube on Nintendo platforms going back to the Wii, and that wasn't a big deal, was it?

It's not. But you know... Microsoft is evil and there's no way Sony would be wrong about this.

Moneal

do you think google would be ok with you going to youtube and then having to sign into twitch to view someones livestream they post on youtube?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
do you think google would be ok with you going to youtube and then having to sign into twitch to view someones livestream they post on youtube?
Trying to wrap my head around this and figure out the analogy but I just can't.....

Tumle

SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) had loads of PC games. Including DC Universe Online which was on Xbox One. But Sony sold the company off or split them off.

Have no idea how you logged into those games on XBO or if there was/is crossplay.
As far as I remember you had to log into a SOE account not an PSN account when playing dc universe online.. when SOE was still around

Thank you for the preview. So Gunscape is too small, so I guess Minecraft and Rocket League are too big? What are about Wargroove? Too much in the middle?

I didn't say gunscape was too small. I said it's a game that no one is playing. No one owns it. I received a press copy a while back and there was no one online to play the game with, for the sake of the review. It's so utterly unpopular that it's irrelevant.

You can mock all you please, but it doesn't change the fact that it's Sony's decision and they are obviously financial and other circumstantial elements of the decision that they would attribute. You're surely not so naive as to believe that these platform holders want to create a cross-platform ecosystem for the sake of the consumer alone.

Maybe Sony will support cross platform play, but I don't imagine they'll rush into it just because Microsoft have. It's also not likely to simply be a floodgate that they simply want to open - cross platform play has different implications on a game by game basis.

Top Bottom