• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I think the "competing services" excuse is a weak one, because in Sony's case it's almost entirely restricted to gaming. They're fine with direct competitors in all other forms of media having a notable presence on their platforms.. but when it comes to gaming? No you can't use your Microsoft account to play your Microsoft game... heeelll no you're not subscribing to an EA subscription service, etc.

Yup, good point. Happened a year after.

They never even said that though.

Kayant

The account is also needed so that you can build something on the Switch then continue it on the PC if you'd like. Your game won't be tied to the system anymore but to the account.
Ha good shout forgot about that since your instance will be on servers.

To me, it seems more like a statement than a question. They're saying that in addition to the cross-platform version, there will also be a own version for PC. The original, or "Minecraft Bedrock" as they call it, the one thats not for Windows 10. I thought the Bedrock version was the one for Windows 10, the one thats cross-platform.

You're a bit off.

Minecraft on systems that won't get the Bedrock engine will be labelled with their appropriate platform name, like Minecraft: Wii U edition.

Minecraft: Java Edition is basically its own Minecraft entirely, and dropping support for that version would be suicidal as it has an established mod and fanbase.

The Bedrock engine is used on platforms going forth, running the same build as iOS, Android, and Windows 10 currently. This comes with benefits, for example skins that are purchased through the appropriate store platform (like skins on the PS Store) will be linked to your Microsoft account, and that can be used on other devices that you have Minecraft on, like the Xbox for example.

Edit: I'd like to expand my thoughts on the skin purchases. Skin purchases will be done through the console's storefront, meaning a PS4 player buying a skin for Minecraft will still be giving a cut to Sony. This also means that buying skins from other platforms will yield the same results, and since they'll be linked to the MS account, there won't be an option to purchase it twice. Great for consumers and still great for platform holders because they're still not missing out on any profits from DLC transactions. I can only see pride being an excuse not to accept crossplay, and that in itself is a stupid reason.

Why can people get Microsoft to budge on issues, but trying to get Sony to do anything good is like trying to get a cat unstuck from a tree? Ridiculous.

Oersted

If this is the reason... why did they also say no to Rocket League?

People are assuming this is the reason. I thinkanother thing is potentially the reason.

PlayStation Plus is advertised with "Play where the Players are". That selling point is severely damaged by crossplay.

Not on the same level as Microsoft, no.

Than why no crossplay trough games like Rocket League if Switch is not a competition?

Trup1aya

You don't need any extra account to play RL outside your platform of choice you game on.

Extra accounts are only needed for in things like this to support friends list, parties, DLC/game tracking etc across platforms. For the basis benefit of bigger player pools it's not needed.

Right, you need an account for the items essential to crossplay.

Sure they could have a version of minecraft where the PS4 are on MS' servers, but users are treated like second hand citizens simply because the Sony didn't want to link to the hosts social network, but

wait... that's exactly what we have now.

It's not just about having bigger pools, it's about having a singular unified Minecraft community.

Its just pure business they want you to buy the ps4, not play together with the competitor pure and simple.

Its like trying to buy a "whopper" at a mcdonald franchise, is that also possible?

It's definitely more like trying to eat a Whopper at McDonald's that you brought in to supplement the full meal you just bought. In this case, Sony is the manager saying that you can't eat the competitor's food in their restaurant.

Synth

They never even said that though.

I know that. But that's the argument being put forth for it being because of them being a "competitor". I worded it poorly, but I was arguing against the reasoning people are giving for it not being feasible, rather than what Sony has stated (their reasoning was far worse).

mcrommert

Banned
People are assuming this is the reason. I thinkanother thing is potentially the reason.

PlayStation Plus is advertised with "Play where the Players are". That selling point is severely damaged by crossplay.

People are also saying Microsoft wouldn't be okay with crossplay if they weren't in second place...Don't agree

Their crossplay initiative already started with play anywhere and the ability of some games beyond minecraft to play with android and ios versions

This is just the logical progression

gamz

You're a bit off.

Minecraft on systems that won't get the Bedrock engine will be labelled with their appropriate platform name, like Minecraft: Wii U edition.

Minecraft: Java Edition is basically its own Minecraft entirely, and dropping support for that version would be suicidal as it has an established mod and fanbase.

The Bedrock engine is used on platforms going forth, running the same build as iOS, Android, and Windows 10 currently. This comes with benefits, for example skins that are purchased through the appropriate store platform (like skins on the PS Store) will be linked to your Microsoft account, and that can be used on other devices that you have Minecraft on, like the Xbox for example.

And I'm sure it'll be easier to update \ support and what not. It's gotta be a nightmare now.

Outrun

I wish there was a way to create a system agnostic network that spans the globe, that would allow different hardware vendors to offer multiplayer and no cost.

Such a dream would be a noble one.

Doukou

People are also saying Microsoft wouldn't be okay with crossplay if they weren't in second place...Don't agree

Their crossplay initiative already started with play anywhere and the ability of some games beyond minecraft to play with android and ios versions

This is just the logical progression

Well all these initiatives came from being 2nd place.

If you got W10, hotmail or anything related to MS you can use that to sign in.

All their systems work together with the same login.

Amazing how so many people forget this simple simple fact. You don't need some special account. You email address from hotmail/live/bing/w10/MSN/office/outlook is enough. All you have to do is select a name.

mcrommert

Banned
Its just pure business they want you to buy the ps4, not play together with the competitor pure and simple.

Its like trying to buy a "whopper" at a mcdonald franchise, is that also possible?

I don't understand...you have bought the ps4...and minecraft on it

And now you are angry

This will keep people from buying minecraft on the ps4 and probably buying ps4's

R aka Bon

To me, it seems more like a statement than a question. They're saying that in addition to the cross-platform version, there will also be a own version for PC. The original, or "Minecraft Bedrock" as they call it, the one thats not for Windows 10. I thought the Bedrock version was the one for Windows 10, the one thats cross-platform.

I am sorry my danish can only help me that much in translating swedish(?)
I thought the "det" was meant as "der". But if I look at it again, I will try to translate it the best way I can

I tillegg til denne kryssplattformversjonen vil det også være en pc-versjon som er egen – originalen, eller «Minecraft Bedrock» som de kaller den – den som ikke er for Windows 10.

In addition to this crossplatform-version it/there will also be a pc-version that is it's own- the original, or «Minecraft Bedrock» as they call it- the one that is not for Windows 10.

mcrommert

Banned
Well all these initiatives came from being 2nd place.

No they came from Microsoft building a huge platform that they wanted to expand with games and the fact that console gaming isn't big enough (even being in first place) for their gaming scope

This is about windows 10 and moreso their failure on mobile

FyreWulff

This still isn't an excuse for Sony, as multiple games and websites let you simutaneously link a PSN, social media, and XB account as tied to it.

EA has basically a similar setup on Xbox and Playstation. The XB/PS login is basically just a shim to the Origin login.

edit: can almost guarantee you they won't call it an Xbox Live account in game. They'll just say "Microsoft Account"

Synth

I wish there was a way to create a system agnostic network that spans the globe, that would allow different hardware vendors to offer multiplayer and no cost.

Such a dream would be a noble one.

Ha, I could see whatever company is holding the keys to that making a serious heel-turn in short order. You'd have to tie them up in so much legal shit.

gamz

Having to use an Xbox login? Oh... now Sony refusing makes way more sense, why would they want to be a part of that.

But we don't even know if they have a problem with this? I mean WTF?

All we know is they are trying to protect the kids.

Tumle

Wait what...okay poster I called out on this, you win
Don't know if what's me but i did speculate that this was why Sony didn't want to play ball on this, in the first thread on this subject(and was called many things, for wanting to try and speculate on the reason, instead of just yelling Sony sucks).
It's already implementer in the iOS and android versions.. so I was thinking this was going to continue with other versions..
Not that I personally have a problem with it but I can see why Sony might, when Microsofts next PR statement boasts about Xbox live accounts..
That sonys representative came out with a bull shit explanation did nothing to sonys favour though..

doowrah

What about this rumor I saw?

url]

That honestly sounds a little too good to be true...

You're a bit off.

I'm not understanding how this is so hard for people to grasp. The game is a platform now and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see MS start to do this with a number of their games. Use an XBL account to play game X on any number of platforms. Maybe even buy once play anywhere (except probably Switch)?

I'm honestly all for MS doing this and it will be really interesting to see how long Sony can hold out. It's a pretty aggressive strategy by them but they have leverage and I don't see Sony being able to deny their fan base access to the latest Minecraft forever. Maybe they're hoping the franchise dies a death fast enough to not matter. Regardless it's gonna be an interesting time once this goes live.

Wut?

MS is blocking FFXIV do come to XB1... they don't allow cross-play.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if it's Sony. SE say they have been in talks with MS and Nintendo, but given recent events it looks more like Sony doesn't want to do crossplay with XB, which leaves SE stuck in the middle. They probably just settled with the current situation, i.e. PS4 and PC, and left it at that.

Having to use an Xbox login? Oh... now Sony refusing makes way more sense, why would they want to be a part of that.

And Rocket League?

This still isn't an excuse for Sony, as multiple games and websites let you simutaneously link a PSN, social media, and XB account as tied to it.

EA has basically a similar setup on Xbox and Playstation. The XB/PS login is basically just a shim to the Origin login.

edit: can almost guarantee you they won't call it an Xbox Live account in game. They'll just say "Microsoft Account"

They already do. This is the same interface that you see in any Xbox platform title, including Minecraft.

Lazaro

That makes this even funnier. Didn't know Skype was on Playstation.

This was before Microsoft acquired Skype.

Skype was also on PSP before Vita.

EDIT: My wording is wrong, I just wanted to point out that Skype had a presence on PSP years before Microsoft acquisition.

Top Bottom