• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

If that was the case they should pull Netflix and every other video service since it competes with PS vue. This competition excuse is weak warrior spin for thier company being dicks.

lol Warrior. Psyonix solved every issue console holders brought forth. No crossplatform communication aside from a controlled quickchat. Dedicated servers hosted by them. No third party service to log into. No sharing dlc across platform which means no lost revenue for anybody. All technical hurdles already solved. Xbone, Switch, Steam already on board. What reason does Sony have for letting them play with PC but not people from other consoles? It's absolutely political in this case. They simply don't want it.

Doffen

While Steve Jobs was rolling in his grave.

aqv6D2y.jpg

Jamh

Neo Member
It sounds to me like Sony is fine with PC cross-play as they don't see them as a competitor in the console space, whereas X1 and Switch obviously are. Why would they want to give their competitors the advantage of playing with PS4 users while putting themselves at the disadvantage of them not having to buy the console?

As far as I know you don't need to link an EA/Uplay account to play those games online on Sony hardware. You do on the PC (where you also need to install their respective launchers) but I've never been prompted to do so on the PS4 or Xbox One.
I definitely was required to create an account for those services on xbone. But only did it once, and was like: use my gamer tag to create this account, and afterwards all subsequent games already used it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wow, so people will have to make an XBL account to play on Switch?

Does that mean they can count Switch players will towards xbox 'MAU's? No wonder they want PS4 players on there

So the details starts coming out.....

If this is the case, I see why Sony said no.

And I see why Nintendo said yea. They dont really have a dog in this fight.

The power of the almighty MAU...

It sounds to me like Sony is fine with PC cross-play as they don't see them as a competitor in the console space, whereas X1 and Switch obviously are. Why would they want to give their competitors the advantage of playing with PS4 users while putting themselves at the disadvantage of them not having to buy the console?

This is the real reason plain and simple. Why do it though? because it's better for their players. A larger player pool for matchmaking is always a great thing and only makes matchmaking faster and more accurate. In other cases like Minecraft the ps4 minecraft owners are getting a gimped lonely version because of this decision.

Does'nt bode well for the future either. Developers tend to like unified player pools. I could really see this being a trend now that most people on board. Only game i don't see this happening with are obviously exclusives, first party game and games that depend on the console maker for servers.

Oregano

There are two roadblocks with FF. First would be MS's policies -

+ the first quote here Which is the first statement from SE on the situation after MS announced opening up their network.

It seems there are specific policies that affect MMO's setups more than other genres. DC Universe Online is another that is affected.

Second would be Sony once they are on XB1 in terms of allowing cross console play.

Right but that's not a case of MS not allowing cross network play so it was a bizarre statement.

Nanashrew

Banned

In the end though XB1, PC and Switch will get a nice pool of players. Minecraft specifically is played by more than 120 million people worldwide across many devices. And with everyone connected, Sony's pool looks really small.

They already have 90% of the userbase for Rocket League. They're cross play with PC/PS4... and the PS4 version has almost triple the PC userbase....

Why would they cross play with XB1 for a such a minuscule benefit?

If we're gonna argue who benefits the most it's the PC. They get everything.

Oersted

They already have 90% of the userbase for Rocket League. They're cross play with PC/PS4... and the PS4 version has almost triple the PC userbase....

Why would they cross play with XB1 for a such a minuscule benefit?

But not everyone uses those services? How many children with a Switch do you think have a hotmail address, or use bing?

May I have a preview and you tell me how you will down talk Gunscape cross play?

Jim Ryan: We want to protect the children.

Press: But Nintendo's doing it.

Jim Ryan: Oh, huh... Well, we still don't want to.

Yeaaaah. Jim Ryan doesn't know shit. He doesn't develop games nor do a lot of insides within Sony teams. He's just an EU PR bullshitter.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't think it's about protecting their userbase from a potential bad experience on XBL at all. Sony doesn't want MS to have access to their customer base, plain and simple, and that's what will happen if PS4 users have to sign up for an XBL account. Think of all the marketing directly to PS4 owners that MS could do...

Oersted

I don't think it's about protecting their userbase from a potential bad experience on XBL at all. Sony doesn't want MS to have access to their customer base, plain and simple, and that's what will happen if PS4 users have to sign up for an XBL account. Think of all the marketing directly to PS4 owners that MS could do...

How do you explain Gunscape and Rocket League?

Jumeira

Banned
I see this being a new trend in gaming, cross play between consoles. Nintendo are on board, they're even cool with people using their XBL account? Thats some progressive moves Nintendo, wow.

I guess when EA announce cross play for thier games then Sony will start to lose gamers and sales, probably the only way to make them play ball.

Pretty redundant, section of their base will move over if more publishers start centralising gaming populations. New games with cross play on Switch/PC/Xbox would give access to a huge pool of players from launch, PS4 by itself will not be able to match it.

Shin

Banned
One could also see it as coming from a position of strength rather than weakness.
They don't need the player base, what I'm getting at is that PS4 sold 60m+ that's a lot of players.
It's also the first company that will probably sell 3x 100m+ consoles, with PSP/PS3 being at around 80-86m on top of that.

No other company in the industry has managed that, if they weren't doing well then they might have had a different perspective, but as things stand they might not see the benefit in it.
And I know everyone is up in pitchforks in almost every thread (as they should if they believe in something, they should stand up for it), but it doesn't help to broaden your perspective either as to the why.
No company is going to flat out say "because we don't want to or because we don't see any benefit in it".

Before people start quoting about defending and what's not, I ain't I'm just thinking at all the possible scenario's.

What??

Oersted

One could also see it as coming from a position of strength rather than weakness.
They don't need the player base, what I'm getting at is that PS4 sold 60m+ that's a lot of players.
It's also the first company that will probably sell 3x 100m+ consoles, with PSP/PS3 being at around 80-86m on top of that.

No other company in the industry has managed that, if they weren't going well then they might have had a different perspective, but as things stand they might not see the benefit in it.
And I know everyone is up in pitchforks in almost every thread (as they should if they believe in something, they should stand up for it), but it doesn't help to broaden your perspective either as to the why.
No company is going to flat out say "because we don't want to or because we don't see any benefit in it".

Before people start quoting about defending and what's not, I ain't I'm just thinking at all the possible scenario's.

Install base of hardware is not the same as active users of a specific software. You guys keep confusing the two.

dracula_x

Sounds like a "trojan horse".

and, btw:

Embrace: Development of software substantially compatible with a competing product, or implementing a public standard.

Extend: Addition and promotion of features not supported by the competing product or part of the standard, creating interoperability problems for customers who try to use the 'simple' standard.

Extinguish: When extensions become a de facto standard because of their dominant market share, they marginalize competitors that do not or cannot support the new extensions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

Shin

Banned
Install base of hardware is not the same as active users of a specific software. You guys keep confusing the two.

Don't know who you guys is, but install base can help with active users of a software (if of quality, enjoyable or fun).
Larger player pool can increase the sales rate of software, which in turn can increase the player base of a game.

Quotient

So the only way to cross play Minecraft is to create a Xbox Live account? It makes complete sense why Sony said no. I am sure if the situation was swapped (Xbox users needed to make a PSN account to play) Microsoft would also say no.

For Cross play to truely work you need a 3rd party account and matchmaking system.

lefty1117

Gold Member

Not sure what you're questioning, but yes in all my years of dealing with marketing teams between companies, acquisitions and partnerships etc., one of the biggest hurdles is consistently about access to the customer base. Marketers would die for a list of email addresses to market to directly, and likewise the company that cultivated and grew that list is not just going to let it walk away.

By requiring cross play partners to sign up for XBL accounts, MS will have that info. It's a strong move on their part.

Someone asked what about Rocket League etc., my understanding may be wrong but I read elsewhere that they will be handling the servers and whatever registrations will be needed themselves, so it's likely that Sony has already agreed a marketing deal/restriction with them separately, as I assume they have done with any of their other out of PSN partners such as MMO companies.

It very well may be that Sony and MS could not agree on terms for direct access to the customers, and that's the "political" issue that has been discussed. We know that it's not a technical issue.

Top Bottom